Matt Millen apologizes for calling Jaws a "Polack"

Even though Matt Millen no longer is in position to screw up a war room on draft day, he still has found a way to do something stupid during the league annual selection meeting.

Earlier today, Millen called ESPN colleague Ron Jaworski a “Polack” while on the air.

Moments ago, Millen apologized for making the remark, explaining that the comment reflected his close, collegial relationship with Jaworski.

And then Millen tried to draft a receiver on behalf of ESPN.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Matt Millen apologizes for calling Jaws a "Polack"”
  1. kishcollageit says: Apr 24, 2010 1:41 PM

Matt Millen just apologized for a Polish comment! I am just waiting for him to do the same to Lions fans. Millen is a piece of SH*T

2. GoCaps8 says: Apr 24, 2010 1:42 PM

Who the hell would’ve taken offense at that? Jaws wasn’t offended.

3. Bruski says: Apr 24, 2010 1:42 PM

If I had a dollar for every time somebody called me a polack, I’d have like $247.00.

4. MNFANINAZ says: Apr 24, 2010 1:42 PM

0-16… and then drops a Polack bomb.
    What a total loser.

5. rbais2 says: Apr 24, 2010 1:42 PM

Draft times are always problematic for Millen.
    He has “screw-up disease”.

6. funi says: Apr 24, 2010 1:43 PM

What do you call a Polish person? A Jew or Italian??

7. singletarymakeyoucry says: Apr 24, 2010 1:43 PM

florios jokes are never funny… “and then millen tried to draft a receiver” stick to sports not comedy

8. OscarMooseFarmer says: Apr 24, 2010 1:44 PM

Just calling a guy a polack isn’t that offensive is it? unless the guy isn’t actually polish..
    Oh and on the reciever comment: Nice!

9. CT Stiller says: Apr 24, 2010 1:45 PM

LOL! I’m actually starting to like Millen…

10. Fievel says: Apr 24, 2010 1:45 PM

Zing!

11. The Wishbone says: Apr 24, 2010 1:45 PM

Why did he need to apologize for this? Ron JAWORSKI is Polish. They are friends. It was a joke.
    Did Jaworski take it the wrong way and burst into tears? Not from what I saw.
    The Rooneys condoning James Harrison for beating his girlfriend (allegedly?) is a lot more offensive than one guy calling his POLISH friend a Polack.

12. Profanity in ALL CAPS says: Apr 24, 2010 1:45 PM

he was the GM of a professional sports francise

13. ClownP3nis says: Apr 24, 2010 1:45 PM

He fails to surprise me. What an idiot.

14. BALLHAWK says: Apr 24, 2010 1:46 PM

What a Dbag!

15. JustDieBaby says: Apr 24, 2010 1:46 PM

This P.C. bullshit needs to end……

16. Onderin says: Apr 24, 2010 1:47 PM

Wow…

17. LiberalGuilt says: Apr 24, 2010 1:47 PM

Dude…enough with the “Millen drafts a receiver” jokes. The man deserves your scorn and I’d stab him with a steak knife given the chance…but honestly, this one’s played out.

18. boisebob says: Apr 24, 2010 1:48 PM

Why is he even on the air?

19. snodog99 says: Apr 24, 2010 1:48 PM

hahaha love it… I bet he spent all day thursday trying to convince ESPN to trade up so they can make sure to give away more money to these poor receivers who can’t cut it in the NFL. It must be so frustrating for everyone who worked with him in Detroit to see that isn’t too bad as an analyst…

20. Draft King says: Apr 24, 2010 1:48 PM

In a related note, Millen did not take the time to also apologize to Lions fans for all the draft blunders he made in his several years running that franchise (into the ground).

21. raw B says: Apr 24, 2010 1:48 PM

Why is he employed again?

22. JerryCola says: Apr 24, 2010 1:48 PM

Can he be fined and/or fired for violating some kind of Personal Conduct Policy?

23. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Apr 24, 2010 1:49 PM

“huh huh huh, huh huh,huh. Poles.”
    -Butthead of “Beavis & Butthead”

24. sonnybivins says: Apr 24, 2010 1:49 PM

DID HE NOT WORK IN MICHIGAN? PEOPLE WHO SPEAK LIKE HIM ARE A RARE BREED. I BELIEVE HIS NATIONALITY IS “HUTAREE” YEAH, I THINK HE IS A PERSON OF INTREST MAKING REMARKS LIKE THAT!

25. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Apr 24, 2010 1:49 PM

Charles Rogers is offended

26. Meatball15 says: Apr 24, 2010 1:53 PM

I was definitely suprised to hear that come out of Millen’s mouth when it was live. I took it as two guys jawing at each at each other. When I heard it live, it was a bit of an “UH OH…” I’m guessing he doesn’t want to drop a “polack”. Not a big deal though, but then again, I’m not Polish.

27. DenverLion says: Apr 24, 2010 1:53 PM

As a life long Lion’s fan, thank god he’s ESPN’s problem and no longer that of the Detroit Football organization.

28. TryTheVeal says: Apr 24, 2010 1:53 PM

Yeah PSU versus Youngstown State was such a hot rivarly…..You never knew who was gonna win…..(eyeroll)…..That being said…..Who cares if he called him a polack, he didn’t say dumb polack and jaws should have called him a stupid mick…I found it funnay as hell

29. rlm says: Apr 24, 2010 1:59 PM

Why is this guy still in a position to make a fool of himself? To paraphrase Mark Twain, “should I be silent and remain the fool, or open my mouth and remove all doubt”. I guess if Matt was silent he would be out of a job.

30. se18a29 says: Apr 24, 2010 1:59 PM

IDIOT. Can’t take the stupid out of him..

31. bigbadmac says: Apr 24, 2010 2:05 PM

Joey is also offended, who cares that he said it.But Millen is still a piece of shit!

32. Stone says: Apr 24, 2010 2:06 PM

The fact that ESPN employs Matt Millen proves to me that they are clueless f&cktards and not worthy of generating any revenue from me.

33. UCantSpellLoseWithoutDetroitLions says: Apr 24, 2010 2:08 PM

Hey let’s not discount his statement to Jaws. Let’s face it, Millen does know a lot about being stupid.

34. Coach Stram says: Apr 24, 2010 2:10 PM

That wasnt offensive.

35. kishcollageit says: Apr 24, 2010 2:16 PM

How does this man keep finding work?

36. WetHog says: Apr 24, 2010 2:16 PM

Why is this a big deal? My Mother’s side of my family is from the same area that Millen is from and “Polack” is used a lot in that area. You know why? There are a lot of Polish folk in Northeast PA. My Uncle Stan’s favorite thing to say is “You dumb Polack”. The use of this word is not that big a deal. Actually its no big deal.

37. bradleygator says: Apr 24, 2010 2:17 PM

This guy is a C-L-O-W-N. Keep up the good work Matt.

38. Vet735 says: Apr 24, 2010 2:17 PM

How many Millen’s does it take to screw in a light bulb…. or screw up a football team?

39. BDC_N_DC says: Apr 24, 2010 2:17 PM

I wouldn’t know, because the second I see his face or hear his voice I either change the channel or push the mute button. Far better people have gotten far less rope than this guy, but cronyism prevails in the end.

40. Drat says: Apr 24, 2010 2:19 PM

And what is Millen? Neanderthal? Australopithecine? Cave-dweller? Surely, no nationality would want him. Maybe the truth is this: Millen is nothing. Absolutely nothing. And a really stupid nothing to boot. He’s the dumbscat of the Nothing Tribe.

41. harshy says: Apr 24, 2010 2:20 PM

Florio = D-bag

42. polakojones says: Apr 24, 2010 2:22 PM

ya im offended cause millen is dumber than a polack so hes no allowed to use it.

43. Audient says: Apr 24, 2010 2:24 PM

Newsflash:
    In English, “Polack” is an offensive term for a Pole. It is an ethnic slur.
    It isn’t “P.C. bullshit” to avoid using ethnic slurs. It is a matter of decent society. It is a matter of not sounding like a bigot.
    Millen already can’t help being a douche bag. He can least try to not sound like a bigot.

44. funi says: Apr 24, 2010 2:25 PM

Millen speaks out when everyone else says it behind closed doors! I guess no one writing these blogs never said the N word, called a I talian a WOP, a mexican a spic! Lokk at what Chris Berman did when he spoke of Japs!!

45. Canyonero says: Apr 24, 2010 2:27 PM

ESPN’s draft coverage has been downright depressing.. Millen’s idiocy aside, notice how Chris Berman looks like he’s about to blow his stack any minute?

46. mjohnson062 says: Apr 24, 2010 2:28 PM

“Polack” is considered derogatory, the correct term is “Pole”.
    But Millen deserves scorn, particularly so I don’t have to deal with him (I don’t want him on my TV).

47. bobbyd12 says: Apr 24, 2010 2:32 PM

Uhh, Im Polish and I take no offense…this Country is becoming such a joke with all u “politically correct” morons running around taking offense to any remark…get a life

48. TheWizard says: Apr 24, 2010 2:35 PM

I’ll bet not one of you would have the balls to say one of these comments to Millen’s face.
    Plus, he earns more than probably all of the haters put together.
    Who’s stupid?

49. WetHog says: Apr 24, 2010 2:37 PM

@Audient
    NEWSFLASH!!! Grow a set.

50. Occam says: Apr 24, 2010 2:53 PM

Sheesh. Even all the potato-eating, drunk Irishmen know better than to stereotype people anymore.

51. danphxariz says: Apr 24, 2010 2:57 PM

What a joke he is, and what a joke he’s making out of the ESPN network – although their highly paid decision makers are blind to it. Seeing Millen on the air, having anything to do with “expert draft analysis” is enough to make any informed viewer instantly change the channel in disgust.

52. Audient says: Apr 24, 2010 3:06 PM

WetHog says:
    April 24, 2010 2:37 PM
    @Audient
    NEWSFLASH!!! Grow a set.
    —-
    Seriously?
    Is that how you determine whether someone has a set, whether they engage in bigoted speech?
    Is that how you speak? Indeed, is that how you think?
    Grow a brain.

53. Freebird2010 says: Apr 24, 2010 3:10 PM

In Europe, dutch people are considered the butt of jokes because they’re viewed as backward.
    In the immortal words of Rowdy Roddy Piper, “You, you’re okay. You, formaldehyde face.”
    From “They Live”

54. Pantherfan10 says: Apr 24, 2010 3:11 PM

but he is a pollack…

55. polishkingski says: Apr 24, 2010 3:31 PM

i know lots of polish jokes, their called my family….what do you get when you cross a polack with a gorilla? a retarded gorilla!

56. Drafty says: Apr 24, 2010 3:33 PM

boisebob says:
    Why is he even on the air?
    A: Because it’s ESPN. Nuff said.
    Somebody pass Audient a hanky.

57. The Polish Rifle says: Apr 24, 2010 3:49 PM

VIVA LA POLSKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Ron Jaworski aka The Polish Rifle

58. Johnny Utah says: Apr 24, 2010 4:14 PM

Millen and Jaws may be friends, but you would think that Millen would have more sense than to drop this on-air blast. His presence on-air shows that sucking up to the right people and being well-liked is infinitely more important than any actual demonstration of talent.

59. WALKEN says: Apr 24, 2010 4:16 PM

The Polish Rifle? Was he ever called that?

60. drew10 says: Apr 24, 2010 4:17 PM

“And then Millen tried to draft a receiver on behalf of ESPN.”
    I actually laughed out loud. Well played, Florio.

61. robert ethan says: Apr 24, 2010 4:36 PM

I’m sure he said “Ya big old pole-axe”, as a term of endearment.
    But hopefully he doesn’t verbalize his close collegial relationships with the black guys on the crew.

62. East Bay Ray says: Apr 24, 2010 4:38 PM

It was all a misunderstanding. He was actually referring to 2005 Bengals 1st round pick David Pollack.
    But, seriously, “Polack” is a derogatory term with connotations that “Polacks” are dumb. It’s wrong to use that term. “Political correctness” and “grow a sack” have nothing to do with it. I agree with Audient there. And, of course, Millen is certainly not in any position to call anyone else dumb.

63. Xenu_D_Alien says: Apr 24, 2010 5:32 PM

I thought it was funny as hell, and I’m part Polish.

64. spliffbunker says: Apr 24, 2010 7:09 PM

WALKEN says:
    April 24, 2010 4:16 PM
    The Polish Rifle? Was he ever called that?
    …………………………………….
    it was his nickname in his playing days..it is said his wife still refers to him by that name..on occasion

65. Browner says: Apr 24, 2010 9:47 PM

Shame on ESPN for employing this guy. All jokes aside, he has a horrible track record on evaluating talent. He got the Lions fined for not interviewing a minority for the head coaching position. He called Jonnie Morton a f****** f*****. You have to know he’s gonna say something ignorant sooner or later. This man has no credibility. Shame on ESPN!

66. NoMoreMillenForMe says: Apr 26, 2010 4:39 PM

As a Polack and a Lion fan I felt like Millen was looking right at me through the camera and telling me to F-off. I don’t accept his apology.
    I’m not at all offended by a Polack joke. Growing up in the Midwest there are Polacks everywhere and I’ll admit we’re real loose with the ethnic slurs (especially in Detroit after a couple of pops), however we wouldn’t drop them on TV, at a wedding, or in public.
    This guy is bulletproof. It’s amazing. I don’t even know who he appeals to as a broadcaster. He obviously doesn’t know what he’s talking about, he’s proven it in the war room. This will not be the first time they have to defend him or make him do an on-air apology, guaranteed. I must say that I really do HATE him. I wish nothing but the worst for him and I don’t think I’m taking it too far.
    On a different note, has Steve Young taken too many shots to the head or is he just an uncomfortable Mormon to be around? He gives me the creeps. I think he was giving Chcky and Kiper the creeps too. There were so many times on Friday that he was just rambling on about god knows what and everyone else was looking away from him. It was like he was the only one that was drunk and everyone else was sober. He was in his own world. Why is this guy on TV still?