Draft recap: Best fits, worst fits

Jimmy Roberts wasn’t the only vertically challenged guy Florio spoke to Sunday.

I scooted up to our Stamford, CT. studios so I could talk to Florio back in NYC about what players landed in great situations on draft weekend, and what players could struggle in their new digs.

Taylor Mays, for one, is in position to have the last laugh against his former coach.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Draft, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Draft recap: Best fits, worst fits”
  1. insanity23mike says: Apr 25, 2010 5:21 PM

IF Gradkowski(backup at best) was able to play average QB for them and managed to beat the Bengals(8-3 at the time) and the Steelers(days after “we will unleash hell on everyone” comment) and was tied with the Redskins until he got injured.
    Jamarcus Russell is a 3rd Backup if anything(and still managed to defeat Eagles) .. How much better can they get when they have a Good(not Great) QB in Campbell?
    Not McNabb- who may have only been there for 1yr and then walk away(2nd Rd trade value)
    Not Roethlisber – who was going to miss atleast the first 4games(1st Rd trade value)
    But Campbell – who may not be a top 10 QB because he played for short passing offense and the Redskins rarely managed to use his skills. He has playoffs experience, and not just the strong arm but the smartness and accuracy that Russell always has lacked..oh yeah and the mobility out of the pocket.. In a way he is all 3 raiders QBs all in 1. If he doesnt suceed it will still be ok, because it forced Oakland to finally get rid of Russell and it only costed them a 2012 4th Rd. Al Davis and another classic steal for the Raiders. Someone who does study film, shows up early and is the last to leave.. Isnt only concern about his big contract or his looks.. and above all.. someone who threw 20Tds in 2009 compared to just 3Tds from Russell

2. Bob Nelson says: Apr 25, 2010 5:25 PM

I thought Bryan Bulaga was a great fit where he was drafted.
    PFT does not.

3. BigBear123 says: Apr 25, 2010 5:26 PM

Claussen will probably be the first QB rookie to start and he does have one of the better supporting casts.
    Panthers pound the ball on the ground first and Steve Smith is still playing well.
    Just have to see if he can handle it or not.

4. Pervy Harvin says: Apr 25, 2010 5:35 PM

Gregg, see if Florio will arm wrestle you on the next video. PFT world can place their bets. My greens on you Gregg.You better win…

5. Acrimonious1 says: Apr 25, 2010 5:36 PM

Wow gregg you are a weisel

6. Steelerssuck412 says: Apr 25, 2010 5:38 PM

Baltimore Ravens superbowl champs!!!!

7. Mean D says: Apr 25, 2010 5:44 PM

Seahawk fans would have rioted had they taken Taylor Mays over Earl Thomas.

8. jeffml says: Apr 25, 2010 6:13 PM

Why do they have a lawn jockey commenting on football. Stick to horseracing.

9. jeffml says: Apr 25, 2010 6:13 PM

Why do they have a lawn jockey commenting on football. Stick to horseracing.

10. thebirdofprey says: Apr 25, 2010 6:31 PM

Rosenthal what are you smoking man. You hanging with Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown again??..Russell Okung doesn’t have the talent. Hahaha..I think I’ll listen to Alex Gibbs over you because he might know a thing or two about linemen.

11. FreeAgentPro says: Apr 25, 2010 6:35 PM

Taylor Mays may only see the field as a saftey on the first weekend for the publicity factor. THey might rotate him in for a few plays, but he isn’t ready to start at that position. He needs a lot of work and might get converted to a linebacker. He is regarded by most evaluators as a boom or bust candidate, vs. Thomas who will be ready to start. Eventually, Mays will publicly apologize to Carroll as his own shortcomings become more obvious to himself at the NFL level.

12. aglinks says: Apr 25, 2010 6:47 PM

I agree with PFT that the Seahawk roster is not very good. Look for a lot of rookies to start the season, can you say mistakes and growing pains. Now that Kurt Warner is out in Arizona, the 49ers may have the best roster to win the NFC West but may not go very far in the playoffs. My Cowboys however could make a run for the big prize.

13. dabarber says: Apr 25, 2010 6:50 PM

Ewww…I have never heard Rosenthal talk–he sounds like an 80 year old chain smoking Jewish Grandma…creepy.

14. winslow says: Apr 25, 2010 6:57 PM

Taylor Mays may be big and fast, but he couldn’t cover Dr. Stephen Hawking.

15. SterilizeTHenry says: Apr 25, 2010 7:07 PM

Florio, I would respect you a lot more if you just came out and admitted you have a personal hatred for Jimmy Clausen.
    We all know he could have been drafted by any of the 32 teams in any of the 7 rounds and you would have had a problem with it.

16. jibfest says: Apr 25, 2010 7:23 PM

Hey I just thought of something. The Titans drafted a Rhodes Scholar in Myron Rolle, does that mean the Titans have the smartest player in the NFL AND the dumbest in Vince Young?

17. AUBlitz says: Apr 25, 2010 7:37 PM

wtf is a wiesel?

18. dsheik says: Apr 25, 2010 7:38 PM

LOL @ Rosenthal. That voice can make one nauseous. Stick to writing.

19. The Devil says: Apr 25, 2010 7:40 PM

bob nelson,
    quit sipping the KOOLAID man. give it up on Sunday.
    your whale is not a good draft pick – his arms are simply too short and he cannot drive block his grandma

20. MagicMan407 says: Apr 25, 2010 7:55 PM

insanity23mike-
    No Campbell is a top 15 QB though. But, I still wouldn’t expect a superbowl and would be lucky to get into the playoffs this year but definately improved. Campbell struggles when he learns new offenses and it will take some time.
    Also, for someone that studies film like you imply the score was 17-10 when that Gradowski or whatever his name is got injured. Also, the line got man handled by the Redskins 2nd half and it was obvious when the Redskins blitzed they destroyed that line. No QB Campbell or anyone could have done much just like what the Redskins experienced most games besides the Raiders. I wouldnt brag about being close to the Redskins last season at half time either because they were playing without Hanyesworth, Deangelo Hall, Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, Chris Cooley and the entire offensive line by week 14.

21. darrius_heyward-bey-butterfingers says: Apr 25, 2010 8:05 PM

The Seahawks have the best backfield EVER!!! Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett it don’t get no betta… Wait, that was last years unwanted castaways from other teams. Ah, yes, LenDale White and that Jets 3rd stringer with the busted leg, can’t wait to see who they get next year.

22. OLDCRACKER says: Apr 25, 2010 8:29 PM

Jibfest, that was funny!

23. Fantavet says: Apr 25, 2010 8:46 PM

Repeat after me. I AM NOT A NFL SCOUT I ONLY KNOW WHAT MY SOURCES ARE TELLING ME. Often times those sources were lying to you only HOPING you would put out the information.
    Look, in all fairness, even the NFL scouts are taking their best guess. So if you guys are wrong who can blame you? Give credit to Florio, with Clausen he points out a great chance but also points out if Carolina is wrong they could be screwed.
    Talk to me in two or three years people. I can promise you not one NFL team made a pick this year and immediately stated “Well that sucked what were we thinking”.

24. openfieldtackle says: Apr 25, 2010 8:52 PM

The best trade of the weekend was the one not made!
    No charges were ever filed…. so… GET OVER IT!
    Big Ben will go on to win 2 more SB’s and match Bradshaw and Montana with 4 each. Final stop CANTON!

25. VoxVagina says: Apr 25, 2010 9:58 PM

The Clausen pick was great. They didn’t reach for him and got tremendous value. Carolina was a QB away from back to back playoff seasons, and now they got a great one in the 2nd round. I don’t understand why PFT hates him so much. Sure he might not be your favorite person but he has all the pieces around him to succeed. Great O-Line, Strong running game, Steve Smith and now LaFell, and a good defense. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Panthers make the playoffs. Also, I think Mays will be a SS in the box, cause he can’t cover. He sucks in coverage, so I don’t think Pete Carroll will regret taking Thomas over him

26. possessed says: Apr 25, 2010 10:03 PM

Talk about a couple of guys who look like they’ve never played a down of football.

27. RaiderhateR4Life says: Apr 25, 2010 10:42 PM

I wish people would STFU about who has the best draft and who doesn’t, unless you’re a psychic stop predicting who will succeed and who won’t. Unless this is your first time ever watching a draft you would know not to jump the gun on who is hot and who is not… Here’s a great example, look down in Big D, Cowboys have a 1st round receiver and an undrafted free agent receiver, which one is dominating? My point exactly.

28. Pantherfan10 says: Apr 26, 2010 12:52 AM

Fantavet says:
    April 25, 2010 8:46 PM
    =================
    That could be said about any player taken in this draft.
    How many times have players dominated in college and only turned out to be mediocre picks or they are out of the league in 3-4 years?
    How many times have players had mediocre college careers and turned into probowlers for 5-7 season?
    Just blanket statments that make people sound more intelligent than they actually are.
    To me one ofthe best giveaways on how a player could do is by looking at the teams past draft history. With a team like carolina I think 17 of their starters have been drafted by the panthers…

29. this class sucks says: Apr 26, 2010 11:47 PM

I think Clausen is pure horse shit, absolute crap. But in the 2nd round and with Pike and Moore the Panthers have 3 chances to get a solid QB.

30. this class sucks says: Apr 28, 2010 1:31 PM

@Pantherfan
    that’s interesting logic, but I think it only
    works if you do it by position. Like the Steelers and 49ers are both great at drafting LBs, but they may be awful at drafting something else (for example, I’m San Francisco, QB). I’m not saying the panthers are bad at drafting QBs because idk, I’m just saying that’s what you should look for.