Patriots let go of Adalius Thomas

The Patriots finally put linebacker Adalius Thomas out of his misery.

On Monday, the team cut the malcontent, according to Mike Reiss and Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Thomas arrived in New England amidst much fanfare.  The Patriots looked like the perfect fit to use his versatility after a successful stint in Baltimore, but his play steadily declined in his three years in New England.

He recorded 14.5 sacks in three seasons, breaking his arm midway through the 2008 campaign just after his best stretch of play in New England.  He was a useful piece to the defense, but not worth his huge salary.  Thomas didn’t win enough one-on-one matchups and clashed with Bill Belichick in 2009.

The Jets were a logical landing spot for him earlier in the offseason, but may be overstuffed with Jason Taylor now in the fold.

69 responses to “Patriots let go of Adalius Thomas

1. Back to the Ravens? Not exactly going in the right direction as far as age but he would make for great depth in a familiar organization.

2. I wish him luck. It’s a disappointment it didn’t work out.
    He’ll do great in another system I’m sure.

3. Haha about time and nobody wanted to waste trading for him because they knew we would cut him

4. LOL – the Patsies suck, and the dumb-a$$ Jets want to pick up all the old, high-priced defensive garbage from within their own division.
    Let me ask you – when was the last time someone was afraid of Jason Taylor or Adelius Thomas??

5. In plain english…………………the guy sucked…….I would love for the jets to sign him…please sign him….

6. Jets are the team of the 2010’s?
    Haha lack of success has fried jet fans.
    9-7 team that got rid of it’s core, and replaced with players who have bigger names the talent. And a bad qb.
    You guys will get killed for failing to the hype.
    Thomas is a perfect fit for the jets, another guy who hasn’t showed up in 3 years.

7. madsqgrdn says:
    April 26, 2010 10:14 AM
    come on over, come on over baby
    –Christina Aguilera
    Jets team of the decade 2010s
    I think you mean “Jets OLDEST team of the decade 2010s”. The locker room is going to smell like mothballs and Depends.

8. I don’t care for the Pats, probably petty jealousy regarding their success and the accompanying arrogance, but I have to hand it to them: when a guy doesn’t work out they don’t pretend its OK or complain to the media. They just cut the guy and move on.
    Its a good way to do business and I am sure it keeps every NE player extra careful.
    Can you imagine a Big Ben kind of scenario in NE? How about a Brandon Marshall type melt down? Neither can I.

9. Teddy ballgame, after not addressing the replacement for Kampman, why don’t you open the checkbook ONE TIME!!!

10. Okay – one last time on this one. If you are a regular here, you have seen it before:
    The real fault with his downfall is B.B. period. The first year with the team he had 82 tackles and 6.5 sacks not to mention the pressure he put on QB’s trying to throw. His second year with the team he was working on just as good numbers (if not better) before breaking his forearm in a November game. In his third year (’09) he wanted to come back and do his job as usual, that is being a pass rushing LB, one of the best the league has ever seen. What does B.B. do with him? Turns him into a stay at home LB instead of letting him be that pass rusher. What did most critics say the team was missing on defense last year? Yeah, a decent pass rusher. Why didn’t B.B. let the man do the job he knows best. Sorry all you Thomas bashers. This is one of the few things B.B. has done wrong since coming to New England. The fault rests entirely on his shoulders, not that of Thomas.
    I just hope he doesn’t land within the division or on any team the Patriots have to face this year for that matter. Because if he does, his revenge on the team won’t be pretty I’m sure. The man has a lot left in the tank and even more to prove. Whoever gets him will be getting a beast that is pissed off and ready to play to his full potential.

11. Thats why we didnt draft a OLB this weekend ,come on over A.Thomas, Rex will get you back to where you were in Baltimore

12. casper67 says:
    April 26, 2010 10:16 AM
    Sign him and Faneca Buffalo!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ________________________________
    why would buffalo sign Faneca??? the bills need a tackle (actually, two) not an old guard
    if you don’t remember, the bills drafted two promising young guards last season, they’d be better of signing Flozell than Faneca
    as for Thomas, i have no idea if he’s able to play at the level he did back in baltimore, but if they can get him on the cheap, he’d be good for depth at least

13. Yeah, g’wan Adalius– g’wan over to that team with all the Christina Aguilera fans. And don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Wait– what was I thinking? That’ll never happen. You never hit ANYTHING. My bad.

14. Even with Taylor, I wouldn’t rule out NYJ. You can never have enough pass rushers. But he would spell the end of Bryan Thomas.

15. Batman says:
    April 26, 2010 10:12 AM
    Being a big Patriots fan, I cant be happier. Adios Amigo. Now go get Urlacher
    he’s even slower haha

16. It’s about time they dumped him. With Spikes and Cunningham teaming up with Mayo the Patriots linebacking corps will be much improved. Young , fast , tough and lots of football iq. Good luck with A.D. Jets and forget about becomming a dynasty cause pretty boy Sanchez won’t ever be a hof QB.

17. Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face!
    Good day to you!

18. He maded too much money to be traded. Maybe one of his ex-coaches will sign him, like the Ravens, Jets or Miami. They may not need him with the guys they all drafted on defense.

19. An aging linebacker that feuds with his coaches publicly, and can’t set an edge?? Where’s my checkbook?

20. Pauli,
    You may have gotten younger but you most certainly did not get any faster by drafting Spikes. He ran a 5.1 forty yard dash. So half the D-lineman and atleast one O-lineman in the draft are faster than him.
    just sayin

21. # WarrenMoonGOAT says: April 26, 2010 10:44 AM
    Batman says:
    April 26, 2010 10:12 AM
    Being a big Patriots fan, I cant be happier. Adios Amigo. Now go get Urlacher
    he’s even slower haha
    And more injury prone. Dude can’t masturbate without breaking his wrist.

22. “PauliThePatriot says:
    April 26, 2010 10:45 AM
    It’s about time they dumped him. With Spikes and Cunningham teaming up with Mayo the Patriots linebacking corps will be much improved. Young , fast , tough and lots of football iq. Good luck with A.D. Jets and forget about becomming a dynasty cause pretty boy Sanchez won’t ever be a hof QB.”
    Dont forget McKenzie. He will be back this year and should be a force.

23. buffalo fans will be happy to sign ADALIUS THOMAS, ALAN FANECA and JARED GAITHER oe even just one of them

24. Mangina will want him in cleveland and have him to well as a big FU to Billicheat…plus we need a LB

25. The Ravens have a way of making mediocre players look amazing. Then they get signed to another team for big bucks and can’t perform. It will be a never ending cycle for teams looking to feed off another teams success.

26. How are we overstuffed?
    Gholston is moving to DE or to the unemployment line. We’ll have 4 OLB: A Thomas (if he signs), Taylor, Pace and B Thomas.
    I’ll grant you, I wish we didn’t sign Taylor and just went with Thomas.

27. Patsfansince73 says:
    April 26, 2010 10:38 AM
    You have no credibility…one of the best the NFL has ever seen???????? No way you are a pats fan no matter what you tag says you are…….fraud…

28. We’ll see him on the Jets, he’ll get one big sack against he Pats (like Milloy did in that first game with the Bills), the Jets will win the “Super Bowl” again, all their fans can suck each other’s popsicles about it for a month, and AT can bitch in the media about BB.
    Then, the Pats will finish 12-4, the Jet’s 8-8, and Thomas will be riding the pine the rest of the year, having trouble “fighting” through injury. At the end of next year the Pats will have two young, hungry LB’s instead of this bum.
    Really, really looking forward to it!

29. heavyj39 says:
    April 26, 2010 10:53 AM
    Pauli,
    just sayin
    —————————————————-
    I didn’t realize LBs run forty yard dashes in a game…
    Please take your forty yard dash times and shove ’em. They mean squat for a LB in a game.

30. J E T S! I think Rex has talked about him before. At this rate, the Jets are going to be Degeneration-X of the NFL. They’ll come out to the DX music “Are you ready?…BREAK IT DOWN” hahah kickass

31. I don’t think Thomas helped us much in the 09 season by being a malcontent, but before that, he did what he could do. He just wasn’t what Belichick hoped he’d be. It happens.
    Good luck, AD.
    Also, what would the Jests do with him after signing Taylor? Didn’t they just restructure Gholston? Doesn’t seem likely to me.

32. He’ll be a Jet, and he’ll play like the guy they payed him to be. Solidifying what an astronomical douche nozzle he is.

33. I’d love for the Saints to sign him. He’d fill a void and be a clear upgrade over Fujita.

34. Jets seem most logical, but as noted, they are overstuffed. Plus, do they have the availability with the uncapped regulation on Top 8 teams? I think the signing of Taylor put them at max (I think that because that was the hold up in adding Mark Brunell).
    One would think the Browns WOULD NOT make sense because of Mangini and a similar scheme used in Cleveland. But, with Rob Ryan, the Browns have actually used more of a Jets/Pittsburgh style blitzing defense, as proved last season with the amount of sacks the Browns had.
    My guess at this very point is Cleveland or Buffalo. And to be honest, I REALLY like what Chan Gailey did in the draft. Bills fans should be very excited.

35. and I thought AD would be one of the few that left the Ravens, oh wait, that’s Ray Lewis, and would succeed. Guess I was wrong again! It’s Ray that makes everyone a success in Ravenstown!

36. # Adam says: April 26, 2010 11:57 AM
    Could you be a bigger tool?

37. ItalianArmyGuy took the gigantic throbbing c*#k out of his mouth long enough to state that the Pats(playoff team) and the Jets(playoff team) suck. He is a Steelers fan, they missed the playoffs, but did ring up more discipline code violations than both teams combined. As an Italian, and an ARMY vet, I would like to implore that Florio change this pillow biter’s name to CroatianCoastGuardsmen.

38. The skins sign him before the end of the day tuesday. Faneca will be a Reskin as well.

39. Detroit Lions should take a look at him..
    That way we can signify are defense with
    Thomas, Levy, and Peterson..
    Then have follett come play third down
    along with the rookie Williams..
    Jared DeVries, SUH, Corey William, and Kyle Vanden Bosch
    with Chris Houston, and Hopefully Pacman
    Ko simpson, and Louis Delmas

40. I think the most important question is can he play in coverage. I know he can rush the passer and can get to the runner, but the question is can he cover a running back or a tight end in space.
    Im just wondering this because he would have to be able to do all of this for a team that runs a 4-3 to be interested. I doubt a 4-3 team would be interested in him to play defensive end. It just doesnt seem conducive to his style of play. I mean he could play the joker position in a 4-3 but thats just a situational position. No team is going to sign him to the contract that hes going to want to be a situational pass rusher.
    So unless he is willing to take alot less money then he wants he would have to be able to play OLB in a 4-3 or limit himself just to teams that play the 3-4. Doing the latter will also greatly reduce the value of the contracts hes offered. So this is where the coverage skills come into play.
    That is why Im asking Ravens and Patriots fans can he cover? I’m not pretending to know if he can or cant. I havent seen him play enough to make that decision for myself.
    I’m asking all of this because the Eagles need a Sam linebacker, and I think if he can cover he could be the answer. What the Eagles dont need is another Tweener at the Sam position. Chris Gocong was that and it didnt work out well. He was better suited to be an olb in a 3-4 which worries me about Thomas.
    So guys let me know can he cover or is he just a 3-4 pass rusher?

41. i love how belichick released him after the draft so it would be harder for thomas to sign with another team. maybe it wouldnt have happened like that if thomas wasn’t such a baby

42. Sdffa…. I dunno about that. Being released now could be a good thing. Teams who didnt get what they wanted out of the draft at the lb/de position will be looking to acquire someone who can fill that roll. Right now Thomas is a top of that list . So he might come out of this better then he went in.