Report: Rock Cartwright to join the Raiders

Jason Campbell will have a familiar face with him in Oakland.

Chick Hernandez of CSN Washington reports that Rock Cartwright is headed to Oakland to join the Raiders.  The versatile runner can help at tailback, special teams, and on kick returns.  We wouldn’t be shocked to see him play some fullback.

Cartwright played eight seasons in Washington, totaling 222 kick returns to go with 215 carries.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Report: Rock Cartwright to join the Raiders”
  1. Hap says: Apr 26, 2010 4:54 PM

I’m scared, aint you boys scared ?

2. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Apr 26, 2010 4:55 PM

Never forget his 100 Yard Return vs. Dallas in 06

3. Greenantz says: Apr 26, 2010 4:55 PM

First off that name ROCKS!
    I know in MLB…. some pitchers have Personal Catchers. maybe, Personal Blocker?

4. Qship04 says: Apr 26, 2010 4:56 PM

Easily the best name in the business.

5. God's Own Silver and Blue says: Apr 26, 2010 4:58 PM

Ah yes, the Cartwright they never talked about on Bonanza. Something about a morals charge and a mule in Virginia City …

6. Domestic Disturbance says: Apr 26, 2010 4:59 PM

florioooooooooo

7. twobags95 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:00 PM

Happy for you Rock!
    Hail!

8. Brewster says: Apr 26, 2010 5:00 PM

What’s going on in Oakland. Did Al Davis quietly pass away?
    Most of these trades, FA signings and draft choices make far too much sense for Al to be pulling the trigger on them.
    The Raiders are having their best off season in years.

9. DanSnyder says: Apr 26, 2010 5:01 PM

Surprised Rock found a job. Good luck rock we enjoyed you while you were in DC.
    Good special teamer and teammate, very durable. At this point I wouldnt look to him to be a main returner unless you value not putting the ball on the ground very high. He’s not the fastest but hes tough and will break some tackles. He’s very good on punt/kickoff coverage though and can play both rb/fb but not a starter there.

10. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Apr 26, 2010 5:02 PM

They must be thinking FB.

11. go bengals says: Apr 26, 2010 5:04 PM

Cartwright! Cartwright

12. raiders177 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:04 PM

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at fullback either. The Raiders have Luke Lawton (suspended) and Oren O’Neal (can’t stay healthy).
    It’ll be interesting to see if he returns kicks, I think thats what they got Jacoby Ford for.

13. SpankyJanky26 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:05 PM

222 kick return and I think… 1 touchdown. You guys can have him. Solid dude and good team player, but he just doesn’t have the speed to be a kick returner…

14. Jkinz44 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:10 PM

Good luck in Oakland Rock.

15. Raider B says: Apr 26, 2010 5:13 PM

“We wouldn’t be shocked to see him play some fullback.”
    WTF? I hope that was a joke. Nah, probably a display of your low football IQ.

16. boleyn9 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:13 PM

Apparently the Raiders were impressed with the Redskins when they met back in December.

17. National says: Apr 26, 2010 5:19 PM

George: Excuse me, I’m expecting a call. Costanza?
    Bruce: Yeah, I just got a call. I yell ‘Cartwright! Cartwright!’, just like
    that. Nobody came up, I hang up.
    George: Well, was it for Costanza or…
    Bruce: Yes, yes, that’s it. Nobody answered.
    George: Well was it a woman?
    Bruce: Yeah, yeah. I tell her you not here, she said curse word, I hang up.

18. H0KiES34 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:21 PM

raiders fans will love this guy on special teams..and will like how he plays coming off the bench..
    good luck rock

19. TheOne says: Apr 26, 2010 5:23 PM

Good, I am glad to see Oakland doing some moves. I dont want them to be last in the division, I want the Broncos to do. Also Raiders need help at the RB position, since McFadden has not done anything with his NFL career. I do love that Felix Jones was McFadden’s backup and Jones has already had a better career. Also he is already setting records.

20. mkremnitzer0 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:26 PM

There’s nothing wrong with this signing. But Rock Cartwright (5-8, 213) is not a fullback unless there’s simply no one else on the roster to play the position.

21. Tdk24 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:30 PM

the dude might not even make the team. remember, every team brings in like 150 players and trims it down. he’s just camp fodder.

22. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Apr 26, 2010 5:30 PM

dude is tough but he’s lost his speed
    besides wouldn’t they use Heyward Bey or Jacoby Ford on KR/PR

23. robert ethan says: Apr 26, 2010 5:31 PM

Who better to have carrying the rock?

24. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Apr 26, 2010 5:31 PM

and he’s too small to play FB
    Cartwright is like 5’8 210

25. funi says: Apr 26, 2010 5:37 PM

I yell Cartwright, Cartwright, noone come to phone. I tell her noone come, she say curse word, I hang up! Seinfield party of 4?? Sienfield?

26. PFTiswhatitis says: Apr 26, 2010 5:55 PM

Cartwright…party of 4?
    Geez, what a shame, Gregg missed the opportunity…

27. raiders177 says: Apr 26, 2010 5:57 PM

# WarrenMoonGOAT says: April 26, 2010 5:30 PM
    dude is tough but he’s lost his speed
    besides wouldn’t they use Heyward Bey or Jacoby Ford on KR/PR
    ______________________________________
    Outside of Tim Brown, Al doesn’t like using high $$ players for returns. So I’d rule out Heyward-Bey and McFadden for returns.

28. balrav says: Apr 26, 2010 6:21 PM

now the raiders need to trade with Baltimore for Jared to protect Jason

29. ILoveTheStupidSkins says: Apr 26, 2010 6:35 PM

“Cartwright!! Cartwright!!!”…………………………..
    “Seinfeld 4!!”
    Rock and Jason…..you are both good ballers and great men to have withstood everything here in DC. I wish you both the best in Oakland.

30. JoeSixPack says: Apr 26, 2010 6:37 PM

Wasn’t he a character from the Flintstones?

31. JSpicoli says: Apr 26, 2010 6:42 PM

MBush is the best tailback in OAK for those of you not watching games. Not DMC.

32. RAIDERNATION_408 says: Apr 26, 2010 6:47 PM

he will be FB and short yardage situations, wacfadden has butter on his feet and bush will need a rest here n there, he is a good signing……..WHEN ARE WE RELEASING JAJUMBOJACK!?

33. the real deal says: Apr 26, 2010 6:59 PM

Best signing of the off seasons, this guy was a FB at kansas state, for the uneducated fools who ain’t know any better when they question him at FB not to mention he was ranked the best FB in the country during his time with the wildcats.
    He is a beast and just needs his chance to shine, the raider in a matter of days have gone to my most hated team to a near favourite, however until J-jat-ass-i-got-my-money-screw-the-team russell gets cut, I am not sure i can officially cheer for them.,
    Go raiders, i think?
    Go to HELL Russell you piece of crap, and take culpepper with you, you fat pieces of crap!

34. joetoronto says: Apr 26, 2010 7:06 PM

WarrenMoonGOAT says: April 26, 2010 5:31 PM
    and he’s too small to play FB
    Cartwright is like 5’8 210
    ==========================================
    That’s funny because he was drafed as a FB and he’s played both RB and FB in the NFL.
    Where does it say you have to be tall to be a FB anyway?

35. Bob Nelson says: Apr 26, 2010 7:24 PM

Rock Cartwright of Bedrock….down the street from Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble.

36. PUR-D33 says: Apr 26, 2010 7:32 PM

Best wishes Rock

37. theTRUTHwillSETuFREE says: Apr 26, 2010 8:33 PM

# the real deal says: April 26, 2010 6:59 PM
    Go raiders, i think?
    —————————————
    pretty funny.

38. nfcbeast says: Apr 26, 2010 9:13 PM

No better place to have your career die than in Oakland
    Cock rockwright….

39. 1NationRaiderNation says: Apr 26, 2010 10:10 PM

gotta love the direction we are taking this off season, Great to see depth, and competition across the board.

40. Shanahan's Rat Teeth says: Apr 26, 2010 10:53 PM

nfcbeast says:
    April 26, 2010 9:13 PM
    No better place to have your career die than in Oakland
    Cock rockwright….
    Hmmmm, just like: Jim Plunkett, Lyle Alzado, Jerry Rice, Rich Gannon,, Cooper Carlisle, Russell Maryland, Bob Brown, John Matuszak, Bill Romanowski, Rod Woodson, Eric Allen, Richard Seymour, Regan Upshaw, Lincoln Kennedy, Charlie Garner, Mike Haynes, Tyrone Wheatley, Ronnie Lott, Bruce Gradkowski, Andre Rison, Derrick Burgess, Willie Brown, Danny Clark, Ted Hendricks, Zack Crockett, William Thomas, Pat Swilling, George Blanda, Harvey Williams, Albert Lewis, Chris Johnson…to name a few. Got any other uninformed BS you need debunked?