Hernandez says he failed only one drug test

New Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez responded on Tuesday to a report that he failed multiple drug tests at Florida, resulting in his draft stock falling.

“Leading up to the draft, I provided every interested NFL team with all
the information asked of me about football and my personal life,” Hernandez said in a statement issued by the Patriots.

“I was
as candid as I could possibly be about everything, including my one
single violation of the team’s substance testing policy over the course
of three years at the University of Florida. That is why I was very
surprised and disappointed by the recent inaccurate report of additional
violations.”

Albert Breer of the Boston Globe broke the news and stands by his report that multiple failed tests led to Hernandez’s stock slipping.  Three NFL teams told him as much.

The takeaway here is that Hernandez got out front of the issue, yet it still cost him money.  Would one test have done that?

Since Hernandez didn’t fail a test at the NFL Scouting Combine, he shouldn’t be enrolled in the league’s substance abuse policy.

UPDATE
:  Two more teams came forward to confirm Breer’s story.  “It was absolutely, positively more than two,” one source said.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Hernandez says he failed only one drug test”
  1. burntorangehorn says: Apr 27, 2010 7:06 PM

Only one, huh?

2. JoeSixPack says: Apr 27, 2010 7:09 PM

Hernandez might not be aware that when it comes to drug tests “positive” is a bad thing.

3. Dealer says: Apr 27, 2010 7:10 PM

Chances Patriots leaked “failed tests” to grab him where they did….100%.

4. nfcbeast says: Apr 27, 2010 7:11 PM

” I only got CAUGHT once”
    It’s Florida, weed is everywhere!!! Seriously, take a walk in the woods and you’ll find somebody’s baby growing.

5. Benjamin C Klein says: Apr 27, 2010 7:17 PM

he doesn’t clarify what drug it was. Your assuming it was pot due to the rumors and his statement. It could have been ex or coke and that would be enough for a single drug test to drop him that far.

6. Tombradysbaby says: Apr 27, 2010 7:28 PM

He passed the NFL Scouting Combine tests, so why the hell is this a story? A kid in college smoked weed, wow thats pretty fricken scandalous.

7. Bucforever says: Apr 27, 2010 7:28 PM

Guess he studied harder for the other ones.

8. edgy1957 says: Apr 27, 2010 7:31 PM

The takeaway here is that Hernandez got out front of the issue, yet it still cost him money. Would one test have done that
    **********************************
    All it took was once to get kicked out of the Navy when I was in. No rehab, no NOTHING. You could have been the biggest drunk in the world and shown up drunk for work and they might have put a reprimand in your jack but fail a drug test and you were out of there.
    BTW, I’m not kidding about the drunk thing. We had an ordance man who showed up drunk plenty of times and they never did a thing to him. He eventually made chief and his drinking was never brought up during his evaluations.
    I guess being a drunk beats being a druggie but Ben might be changing people’s minds….

9. FreeAgentPro says: Apr 27, 2010 7:34 PM

Oh where is Dr. Nosiewater here defending only ONE failed drug test…just like Harrison was only busted ONCE for HGH…and the OL guard getting caught by the Feds with over 100 Oxi tabs…hey, how is the cheating lawsuit against the Pats working out?

10. Massappeal says: Apr 27, 2010 7:48 PM

You had better be right on the “multiple” failed tests Albert, remember what happened to ron.

11. brownsfn says: Apr 27, 2010 7:53 PM

only one huh dumbass…just keep your mouth shut dummy…

12. robert ethan says: Apr 27, 2010 8:13 PM

I only failed one. They kept giving me the same test over and over again. What did they expect?

13. mr_snrub says: Apr 27, 2010 8:14 PM

Big deal. So AH was getting himself ready for life in the NFL, which includes smoking pot for a lot of players.
    The guy’s a freakin’ stud and this misdemeanor will be forgotten quickly after he gets on the field.

14. Scfrank97 says: Apr 27, 2010 8:33 PM

Usually when u get caught doing something, usually it’s not the first time that a violation has been committed.

15. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: Apr 27, 2010 8:34 PM

FreeAgentPro says: April 27, 2010 7:34 PM
    ________________________________________
    Right here bud, and thanks for the request, I’ll be glad to enlighten you. Actually, since it’s 2010 and those of us that get invited to parties where people (gasp) smoke weed realize that a college kid getting high is not a terribly big deal. Full disclosure: I went to Penn State and then Temple for Grad School which are both major weed schools, and I LOOOOOVE me some dank ass buds. I’m also a combat vet with an MBA, you certainly don’t have to believe that, but it is true. My point being, I smoke weed and there is a really good chance that in addition to being your intellectual and social superior, I’m also probably much more successful than you. Now, since you seem to represent the “friendless/out of touch adult-virgin” demographic, I can see how this is both upsetting and terrifying for you. Your futile attempts to link this to cheating, and your implied assumption that the Pats are the only team with players that make poor decisions is both laughable and refreshingly retarded. It tells those of us that could pick a vagina out of a lineup what a delusional turd you truly are. There are bad guys on every team, I’ll let you in on a secret; you don’t know these players, you know their names. As far as the lawsuit, filed by other sad, lonely buffoons like yourself, I don’t know, however the three Super Bowl Championships are just fine.

16. The Real Shuxion says: Apr 27, 2010 8:34 PM

# nfcbeast says: April 27, 2010 7:11 PM
    ” I only got CAUGHT once”
    ——————————————————
    Same in the spring/summer/fall in Missouri.

17. geek says: Apr 27, 2010 8:35 PM

nfcbeast, I don’t know where you live, but Florida isn’t the only place where weed is everywhere. Still, if it only happened once, I wonder who told the other teams there were more positive tests… Could Urban Meyer have been looking out for his old friend, and sliding him a stud TE by telling everyone the kid has an addiction, than winking and smiling at a knowing BB?

18. goyzzo says: Apr 27, 2010 8:36 PM

I did not inhale either!!!!

19. Florio-is-a-tool says: Apr 27, 2010 9:03 PM

I’d take anything Breer writes with a huge grain of salt. He used to be good but now he’s just screaming attitude and is all about smack. If a legitimate writer in Boston (Reiss or Rappaport) confirm it then there would be some substance to the report.

20. trixstal says: Apr 27, 2010 9:04 PM

First of all, Breer and the site he writes for is a pathetic source for any football information. He and his cohorts took that site over when Mike Reiss left to join ESPN Boston. Since then, Breer and pals have run that site into the ground and sent many New England Patriot fans fleeing to other sites to get accurate and whine free information on N.E.
    This is not someone you should be getting any info from. Stay away!

21. monet99 says: Apr 27, 2010 9:34 PM

He is so overated.

22. DG0122 says: Apr 27, 2010 9:48 PM

23. RichieBugs83 says: Apr 27, 2010 10:03 PM

@Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
    That is some EPIC OWNAGE.

24. Patsfan4ever12 says: Apr 27, 2010 10:14 PM

Albert Breer is a no talent clown.
    He’s either playing the payola game or he really is that stupid.
    He fabricates stories and creates unnecessary slants.
    Here are some facts for you Albert:
    30% more plays by the offense last year than in years before
    trends are shifting back towards running attacks, with the exception of INDY and NO.
    The Patriots were gutless and without a strong lockeroom.
    What did the Patriots draft? Tough, Leaders, who love football who happen to be some of the better players available to them.
    Let me educate you, as you seem to be new to NE Pats Drafts. When the media thinks the Patriots should take a LB or DE to rush the passer, the patriots take a CB. It’s never the obvious to the uninitiated non sports playing journalist.
    Don’t make stuff up. I’m sure with all your sensationalized stories from Dallas and Sporting News that you have great “sources” at the University of Floria and the NCAA. Sure you do. I bet you know of the spies that told the US Government that there were WMDs in Iraq too.
    And if you want to become the new Mike Reiss for Bill Belichick, you best learn that you don’t just throw stuff out there. Cause you will end up just like john tomase. Buried.

25. Bossman says: Apr 27, 2010 10:21 PM

FreeAgentPro,
    Dr. Kenneth made you look like an idiot. Of course that is not very hard to do….
    He slapped you around, and those of us who are tired of your immature bullshit applaud him.
    Bravo Doc!

26. Memp! says: Apr 27, 2010 10:44 PM

FreeAgentPro=OWNED

27. Bucforever says: Apr 27, 2010 11:14 PM

Didn’t Warren Sapp have the same problem in the University of Miami? Sometimes the risk is worth it.

28. bigtrav425 says: Apr 28, 2010 8:23 AM

iv never even heard of this guy so why is it a big deal?

29. CT Stiller says: Apr 28, 2010 11:13 AM

My “sources” tell me that this guy has a strictly carnal relationship with Tom Brady and that is the only reason the Patriots looked past his pot smoking.
    Wow, this rumor mongering crap is easy! I’m going to try to come up with more because I have more “sources.”

30. footballnut says: Apr 28, 2010 11:52 AM

Dr. Noisewater lol, great job! I love how these Pats haters are trying to make this such a big deal. It’s pot, in which a college athlete smoked, big friggin’ deal.
    Anyway, maybe Hernandez just doesn’t remember the other tests, that’s all.
    FreeAgentPro should just go watch Reefer Madness to make him feel better…

31. Bious says: Apr 28, 2010 8:03 PM

Everyone around UF knows that players can get around tests
    That isn’t new