Jeff Ireland apologizes to Dez Bryant

Well, this is a surprise.

Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland admits he was out of line when he asked Dez Bryant if Bryant’s mother was a prostitute in a pre-draft interview.

“My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that
I’m consider drafting,” Ireland said in a statement. “Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth
questions.  Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment
in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and
apologized to him.

“I appreciate his acceptance of that apology and I told him I wished him well
as he embarks on his NFL career.”

On one hand, we’re impressed Ireland has confronted the issue head on.

Then again, this apology never would have happened unless a story came out about it.

We’ll give the Dolphins some credit.  Whether Ireland was compelled to release this statement from above or not, it’s better that the organization own up to the mistake and move on.

Permalink 83 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
83 Responses to “Jeff Ireland apologizes to Dez Bryant”
  1. Occam says: Apr 27, 2010 5:36 PM

OK. I’m sorry I ate your fish. OK?????

2. BigBenBangedBarbisBackside says: Apr 27, 2010 5:41 PM

SAD TRUTH,
    SHE PROBABLY IS A WHORE! HIS UPBRINGING HAS BEEN HORRIBLE….CUDOS TO DEZ FOR TAKING HIS LIFE TO A HIGHER GROUND…..I WISH HIM WELL FOR EVERY WEEK EXCEPT WHEN THEY PLAY THE VIKINGS, THEN I WOULD EXPECT ANOTHER SMACK DOWN……

3. PirateFreedom says: Apr 27, 2010 5:42 PM

Jeff just wanted to start a “my momma was a whore” support group.
    He can’t just sit in a room by himself.
    How does that help the healing?

4. The Hogster says: Apr 27, 2010 5:43 PM

What an out of touch douchebag. Jeff Ireland – what justifies your existence?? Really.

5. prophet of the light says: Apr 27, 2010 5:44 PM

Wow. Great question by the dolphins … I wish the patriots showed such little class.

6. Howboutdemcowboys says: Apr 27, 2010 5:46 PM

“Then again, this apology never would have happened unless a story came out about it”
    Public apologies are idiotic and insincere.
    I’m sorry I raped girls.
    I’m sorry I killed dogs.
    I’m sorry I did drugs.
    I’m sorry I brought a gun to the club.
    Has anyone ever been sorry before getting busted? No, because the only thing they are sorry for is getting busted.
    Does anyone actually hear these apologies and think. . . at least their sorry. . .

7. robert ethan says: Apr 27, 2010 5:46 PM

It still tells them what they needed to know about Bryant. Instead of confronting the issue head on in the interview room, he went to the media afterwards. In the original interview Bryant made a blanket complaint about the questions he was getting concerning his background. That was just the most blatant one. As I recall he said that “most teams” asked him probing personal questions about his upbringing that made him uncomfortable. He was also complaining about the information that he was late. He only grudgingly acknowledged the incidents that earned him suspensions and seemed to suggest they were one off incidents without any precedent or larger context.
    Jeff Ireland may apologise for the question, but I doubt he has any regrets about not drafting Bryant.

8. John D says: Apr 27, 2010 5:48 PM

First I heard of it and it’s disgusting. It’s the Dolphins, not Homeland Security.

9. Wrathchild says: Apr 27, 2010 5:48 PM

If I were Dez Bryant, my response to Ireland would be: “Thanks, and tell your mom I left her money on the dresser.”

10. MiamiDorkFins - Repo City says: Apr 27, 2010 5:49 PM

The Miami Dork Ireland is indeed classless, just like the city and the team. Its tough being a miami Dorkfin. The organization, city and the DorkFans are so stupid.

11. PittsburghSteelerz says: Apr 27, 2010 5:50 PM

Sorry I called you mom a hooker… awkward

12. fishfan39 says: Apr 27, 2010 5:51 PM

Sure he’ll hear that kind of stuff from opposing players which is bad enough but to hear that from a GM is pretty poor to say the least.

13. nyj-gate D says: Apr 27, 2010 5:52 PM

the dolphin’s owner is scumbag just like the rest of team’s fanbase

14. C-Student says: Apr 27, 2010 5:52 PM

if dez had answered “yes” to the question, then it was worth asking.

15. neilp says: Apr 27, 2010 5:54 PM

Here is wonderful opportunity for Roger Goodell to show once and for all he is all about the league presenting the right image to the public.
    Rather than keep on suspending players what will you being about this slur that makes NFL GM’s look bad in the eyes of the same public Roger?????
    We already know….. nothing!

16. TheOne says: Apr 27, 2010 5:54 PM

Yeah that was a messed up question to ask. I am unsure if he really need to know that answer anyway. I am so jazzed that Dez Bryant is playing for Dallas.

17. nfcbeast says: Apr 27, 2010 5:54 PM

Sounds about as sincere as:
    Tiger Woods, Jesse James,Ben Rapistsploooger,Bill Clinton,Letterman…..lies…
    Your mothers a whore!!!—my bad dawg.

18. DallasFan in NY says: Apr 27, 2010 5:54 PM

Good PR move. Admit you fuc*ed up and move on. It’s going to be a non story now unless PFT drags this one out like Rapistburger…

19. cs_foodie says: Apr 27, 2010 5:54 PM

WTF? like uh, no disrespect but is your mother a whore? Fire that guy.

20. Kevin DuBrow says: Apr 27, 2010 5:57 PM

wow, what gutless frauds.

21. Rockymtnphinfan says: Apr 27, 2010 5:58 PM

He’s a Parcells guy so he could tow that line and never apologize. He manned up and made a sincere apology and that is the respectful and right thing to do. I’m just glad Dez is not in the AFC East! Jeff Ireland you did the right thing. Kudos to you sir.

22. Rob says: Apr 27, 2010 6:01 PM

Non-job related discourse, such as Ireland’s question is impermissible. Dez has a colorable claim that Ireland’s interview question violated federal employment law. As such, he could probably sue both the Dolphins and the league. That’s one way to recoupe the money that he lost for dropping to 24th overall pick.

23. woodsidegil says: Apr 27, 2010 6:01 PM

“Dez, I’m sorry that I asked if your mother is a prostitute. I meant to ask if you can spell the word prostitute. With much regret, after I was told that you wanted my home address.”
    -Jeff

24. MANNY says: Apr 27, 2010 6:02 PM

Ireland is Parcells’ prostitute.

25. nfcbeast says: Apr 27, 2010 6:03 PM

@ C-Student
    Thats a question for Peter to answer! (Family Guy)

26. READY2CRUSH says: Apr 27, 2010 6:04 PM

What I’d like to know is whether anyone thinks “MiamiDorkFins – Repo City” isn’t a 44 year old virgin living in his grandmother’s basement. I mean really… Dorkfins? Has anyone even used the word dork since the late Corey Haim made his last “good” movie 20+ years ago? Come on man, time to grow up.

27. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Apr 27, 2010 6:06 PM

dez accepts the apology, now its time to move on
    i sure hope PFTV doesn’t analyze Jeffs apology

28. Krow says: Apr 27, 2010 6:06 PM

More than a little racist too.

29. jimicos says: Apr 27, 2010 6:10 PM

——————————-
    Well, duh. It’d be pretty weird for Ireland to make a public apology for something that was never reported. When’s the last time that happened?
    Did Vick apologize for killing dogs before anyone knew about it?
    Did Roethlisberger apologize for… whatever his apology was for before anyone knew anything about it?
    Simply put, there’s no reason for a public apology if the transgression was never made public in the first place. And I can’t think of a single time an athlete or celebrity has given an out-of-the-blue apology.
    Strike that. Letterman did it, but he only did it because his story (sleeping with employees) was going to come out anyway with the blackmail lawsuit.

30. jimicos says: Apr 27, 2010 6:11 PM

nyj-gate D says:
    April 27, 2010 5:52 PM
    the dolphin’s owner is scumbag just like the rest of team’s fanbase
    ————————-
    GM.

31. Jack Acid says: Apr 27, 2010 6:14 PM

People are blowing this out of proportion.
    If a team is about to drop millions on a player, they need to test their temperament.
    Dez is an idiot if he thinks this guy actually thought that or meant disrespect, it’s just part of the process.
    In other words, it’s not an effective question, but also, I don’t think an apology was necessary.

32. football-fantasy-fanatics@blogspot says: Apr 27, 2010 6:16 PM

If I were investing millions on an employee, I would ask some uncomfortable questions too. Better to know up front instead of later and look like a fool for not checking out your guys. I can’t wait for the Michael Lewis book and movie ” The deep route” works on multiple levels. Seriously, kudos for the kid not turning up on the streets instead

33. football-fantasy-fanatics@blogspot says: Apr 27, 2010 6:16 PM

34. Boudin says: Apr 27, 2010 6:17 PM

in other news, Jeff Ireland just s*** his teeth out.
    apology accepted.

35. crabman82 says: Apr 27, 2010 6:17 PM

i once played on a softball team that played in a bad area of town, we were all in a circle before the game and my friend send hey look at that hooker, and my other teammate replied with thats my mom, most awkward moment of my life

36. Paracelsus says: Apr 27, 2010 6:28 PM

Hey Robert Ethan… How many issues do you expect 22 year old kids to confront head on during job interviews? Save your analytical mind for something that resembles ethics and class. If they had concerns on his background, that is why you do a background check. His question didn’t have anything to do with why they would draft him. Get real.

37. Caldon says: Apr 27, 2010 6:30 PM

and there are the typical jet fan comments.
    All together now, so we don’t forget how to spell the team name because it is so long
    J E T S

38. tacious says: Apr 27, 2010 6:31 PM

Listen, if he (Ireland) just blurted out in the meeting… “so, was your mother a prostitute?” Obviously that’s not cool.
    But, if a certain line of questioning led Dez Bryant down a path where his answer was something like… “yeah, my mom, she was never around, she would come & go at all hours, always with a different guy, doing drugs, and I never really saw much of her…” well then, that’s a whole different ballgame.
    None of you know the extent to which the question was asked, so until you do… STFU.

39. LeeB says: Apr 27, 2010 6:32 PM

What was the basis for the question. If he was inquring about how he grew up, then there nothing wrong with the question.
    Did Dez volunteer information about his upbringing that lead the GM to think mom was a pro no pun intended.
    You mean your mom was a prostitute???
    At least he aplogized. Move on people, nothing to see here.

40. BIG B says: Apr 27, 2010 6:33 PM

As horrible as the question was, it’s it true??? Before I invest millions, I want to know of what stock my investment from. I’m just saying.
    Sorry to all you PC apologists, but the truth will almost always hurt.

41. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Apr 27, 2010 6:36 PM

“I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him.”
    Oh sure. No offense, but is your mom a whore? I ask only because I’m in the market. What’s her rate, anyway?

42. 3octaveFart says: Apr 27, 2010 6:36 PM

# C-Student says: April 27, 2010 5:52 PM
    “then the followup should have been, “how much does she charge for a cleveland steamer?””
    I laughed even harder after I looked it up…

43. holycow says: Apr 27, 2010 6:39 PM

You have no idea when Ireland offered his apology.

44. Vet735 says: Apr 27, 2010 6:39 PM

Crabman,
    First, Is your friend Dez Bryant? If so, we may be getting somewhere in this investigation.

45. .Vox Veritas. says: Apr 27, 2010 6:43 PM

“If Ireland would have asked me that, I would have busted up laughing because it’s so ridiculous and clearly not a serious question.”
    He sure apologized like it was a serious question.
    “My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I consider drafting. Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions.”

46. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Apr 27, 2010 6:44 PM

Well……… Was/is she?

47. robert ethan says: Apr 27, 2010 6:49 PM

“Mr. Bryant, it’s come to our attention that rumors are circulating about your friend and confidant Michael Silver, aka the Yahoo yahoo. Specifically that he is a cheap sleazy whore for digging up morsels of dirt from a confidential interview process and milking them for every last dollar he can. Without consideration for your mother, whose reputation will be besmirched in the process or any other individuals who are similarly affected. How would you respond to that Dez? Dez……..DEZ!
    I guess you dozed off there…let me repeat the question….”

48. stetai says: Apr 27, 2010 6:50 PM

Did he apologize after he asked it, or after all this publicity came out? That’s the bigger question on how sincere this is.

49. READY2CRUSH says: Apr 27, 2010 6:50 PM

Think about it… Would you rather your mom be a crack head or a prostitute?
    Who the hell cares because the answer is neither. I dont see how he could be offended when one scenario is not any “better” than the other. Get over it, it was a question to see if you are a headcase. You passed the test since you didnt punch him the face.
    Non story, now move on.

50. RossyRoss says: Apr 27, 2010 6:54 PM

Maybe Dungy should get involved. :) dungy is a turd!

51. DJTEKNISION says: Apr 27, 2010 6:56 PM

Oh Dez must not have pulled over by the cops yet, they ask that question all the time and not once have I gotten an apology!

52. tacious says: Apr 27, 2010 6:59 PM

@ Krow
    Why don’t you go take that race card you’re trying to play and shove it up your ass!
    Like there’s no white/ asian/ latino/ etc. hookers out there… I guess Ireland must of said it b/c Dez’s black, right?
    You’re a F_ing loser Krow!

53. UrineTrouble says: Apr 27, 2010 7:00 PM

Was she a hooker or not?? Serious question….
    I am going to guess she was…only reason to explain his responce…
    If tebow or clausen were asked this you think they would have gone to the media crying??
    They would have laughed it off as a stupid question…only people who would get ticked are those who mothers were hookers…
    And how is asking if someones mom is a hooker racist? Are a majority of hookers black? I’d say it is across the board pretty even…

54. Darron says: Apr 27, 2010 7:01 PM

So what happens when an opposing cornerback asks him the same question week 1?

55. Bious says: Apr 27, 2010 7:02 PM

Yea, I was about to say…the story would never have happened unless you all reported it
    Also, other GM’s will continue asking inappropriate questions

56. jimicos says: Apr 27, 2010 7:07 PM

crabman82 says:
    April 27, 2010 6:17 PM
    ————————
    Sounds hilarious.

57. Buck Stallion says: Apr 27, 2010 7:08 PM

I’m sure Ireland made sure there was some serious security in the room, just in case Bryant wanted to bust his head open

58. penguininbondage says: Apr 27, 2010 7:08 PM

If Dez didn’t punch him out I think we all know the answer.

59. ShootahCowboy says: Apr 27, 2010 7:09 PM

Ok…
    Jeff…
    Perhaps you may want to ask a question like that, after the interview, in the parking lot when there is nobody around.
    I think that will tell you if a question is inappropriate or not….
    As soon as you are released with your straw for the consumption of your next six weeks worth of meals, you can write a proper apology…
    Ass..

60. FireJerryJones says: Apr 27, 2010 7:14 PM

Just wondering what Ireland had planned for a follow up question.
    How much?
    When’s she coming by for an interview?
    Great that he and Roethslisberger have their agents write their apologies.
    League should fine his ass.

61. biggs13 says: Apr 27, 2010 7:15 PM

Maybe he was interested in getting a little sum sum? Non-issue…move along.

62. greaserules says: Apr 27, 2010 7:20 PM

Is your mom a prostitute? lol

63. checktheblock says: Apr 27, 2010 7:33 PM

As a die hard Dolphin fan I have to say this is inexcusable. This is not a joke in the locker room or a bar and the GM simply should not treat a college kid trying to get a job this way.
    I’m tired of the ego plays and soap operas that seem to be constant with Bill Parcells and now Jeff Ireland. Treat people with respect or you make my Dolphins look like knuckleheads.

64. DJTEKNISION says: Apr 27, 2010 7:35 PM

ESPN was the first to make mention of his mother’s past. Like that made a difference to whom ever drafted him. So where is the fall back on ESPN!!! It’s kind of ironic ESPN was also the one to report the Jeff ask the question. WTF!!!!

65. Ralphie says: Apr 27, 2010 7:43 PM

“We’ll give the Dolphins some credit.”
    Thanks Greggy, that’s mighty white of you and the boys at PFT.
    “On one hand, we’re impressed Ireland has confronted the issue head on.”
    Do you sit around Florio’s xBox and debate this shit all day? You know, who you are going to give credit to, and who impresses you? You have such an important job that the world is hanging on those important decisions.

66. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Apr 27, 2010 7:49 PM

# tacious says: April 27, 2010 6:59 PM
    @ Krow
    You’re a F_ing loser Krow!
    ________________________________________
    Here is another douche equal to the douchiness of Vox, Boysroll, Jaso, Greg, favrecansuckit, East Bay Ray and all the other dumass (dr. pepper commercial) cowgurl fans. Tone it down a bit Mr. Serious. I love it when idiots like yourself get your panties in a bunch from internet fodder.

67. StevieMo says: Apr 27, 2010 7:50 PM

Did Ireland ask Toby Gerhart the same question?

68. GaryClark says: Apr 27, 2010 7:52 PM

Ireland…At least you admitted it, but WOW! What a punk..Dez should have smacked that ass.
    I am not a cowgirls fan…But that is over the top.
    PUNK!

69. Franchise says: Apr 27, 2010 7:54 PM

I’d be willing to bet the bank that the background checks on these guys is FAR more deeper than any of us can even imagine.
    There has to be a reason the question got asked.
    “Was your mom a hooker?” or “Are you nervous being a white RB?”
    Which is worse?

70. ninerfan says: Apr 27, 2010 7:59 PM

Public apologies are idiotic and insincere.
    “I’m sorry I brought a gun to the club.”
    I don’t believe you.
    “I’m sorry I blew a hole in my leg and went to prison for it.”
    I believe you.

71. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Apr 27, 2010 8:15 PM

@StevieMo
    Of course not. Ireland only asked because Dez is black. No other reason. It is in the handbook for asking blacks questions, and not in the handbook for all other races. (I hope you are picking up on the sarcasm)

72. Matt says: Apr 27, 2010 8:17 PM

LOL at people still defending this.
    First, to Dolphins fans – it’s a stupid question that was asked. See beyond the fact that it was asked by a representative of your football team, be objective about it for a minute, and you’ll realize that it was a retarded thing to ask. There’s no defending it.
    Second, in any other setting where you would be conducting an interview, even if the discussion was “going down that path,” that doesn’t mean you take it there. If this question ever came up in any real profession (regardless of whether millions were potentially being dropped on the guy or not), you would be getting your ass SUED. Let’s spell that out now … S-U-E-D. The negative PR bullshit alone isn’t worth it, let alone the fact that people are going to infer that you’re a racist for asking it. And if you don’t think people are going to make that inference, then you need wake the hell up and quit being so naive.

73. FinFan says: Apr 27, 2010 9:05 PM

Dez I’m sorry I asked if your momma was a whore.
    Now that you accepted my appology… is she available tuesday night?

74. BigDeuce says: Apr 27, 2010 9:29 PM

I don’t believe this S**T Dez Bryant had every rite to Punch that B**ch is his Mouth I would have every man knows u never disrespect a man or his mother that way I hope sumone see’s Jeff on the Street an Whips his Ass!!!!!! We gonna give his ass the Biz when he comes to Bmore !!!!

75. DevastationInc says: Apr 27, 2010 9:37 PM

I’m going to sleep better tonight knowing this. Thanks PFT!

76. phinzilla says: Apr 27, 2010 9:40 PM

hey, lets see, we have players that have been shot, players that have run the table on illegal activity all because they cannot leave their past behind them when they find them selves multi millionaires, money that NFL teams have tied up in them, who in the end make the teams look bad, here we have a kid who already has a shaky past, so yeah, I am ok with any question they ask of any player.

77. Richm2256 says: Apr 27, 2010 10:53 PM

“I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him.”
    ————————————————-
    You asked him if his mother was a prostitute, and you say you meant “no offense” to him??????
    Where the hell did Bill Parcells come up with this douche?

78. buckifan4life says: Apr 27, 2010 11:24 PM

See,…say sorry and move on. It’s easy. Easier than denying it and dragging it out which turns into a media circus, etc…
    Just friggin apologize and move forward.

79. willmose says: Apr 27, 2010 11:51 PM

Actually Ireland’s wife, mother and sisters are ‘hoes, so he thought it was natural question. No disrespect meant to Ireland. Where is the league office in this, how about a sixty year suspension without pay for Ireland?

80. bigstorm says: Apr 28, 2010 12:15 AM

Maybe he wanted to get laid.
    You guys miss the obvious.

81. Spokentruth says: Apr 28, 2010 1:09 AM

I banged Irelands’ wife and she’s worth the $20 she charges.

82. newreality1 says: Jan 26, 2011 5:40 PM

can you imagine this guys face when during the interview “oh, buy the way ,is your mom a whore” YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

83. newreality1 says: Jan 26, 2011 5:42 PM

the next apology would sound something like this “IM SORRY I GAVE YOU SUCH A BAD BEATDOWN” JackAsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss