Bears ship safety to St. Louis

With Chris Harris returning to Chicago via a trade with the Panthers, the Bears had an extra safety on the roster.  So they’ve sent Kevin Payne to St. Louis.

The team announced the move within the past 30 minutes.

A fifth-round pick in the 2007 draft, Payne started 22 games in three seasons.  The Bears have received from the Rams an “undisclosed” 2011 draft pick.

That said, there’s a chance the Rams will choose to disclose the pick that has been sent to Chicago, especially if it’s something like a conditional seventh rounder.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Bears ship safety to St. Louis”
  1. pilot08 says: Apr 28, 2010 6:04 PM

I heard he once had a 20 interception game

2. biggs13 says: Apr 28, 2010 6:05 PM

Looks like they may free OJ Atogwe? I bet they’re on the phone with Ireland right now. “OJ, is you Mom a whore?”

3. gobearsgo says: Apr 28, 2010 6:06 PM

Interesting note: Payne was good friends (possibly roommates, if memory serves) with Chris Harris in college, and moved into the starting spot vacated by Harris at Louisiana-Monroe when Harris went to the NFL (drafted by the Bears in 2005). In 2007, the Bears drafted Payne and, faced with a glut of safeties, traded Harris to the Panthers. Yesterday, the Bears traded for Chris Harris from the Panthers, who essentially took Payne’s roster spot–who they’ve now traded to the Rams.
    Also, according to Kevin Payne’s twitter, the two went bowling this afternoon:
    @Kevin_Payne: Bout to pick up @ChrisHarrisNFL & hit da lanes

4. gobearsgo says: Apr 28, 2010 6:06 PM

Also, according to Kevin Payne’s twitter, the two went bowling this afternoon:
    @Kevin_Payne: Bout to pick up @ChrisHarrisNFL & hit da lanes

5. Tre-nitty says: Apr 28, 2010 6:16 PM

He adds depth because he won’t start over atogwe or butler. Maybe he pushes butler harder the because butler kinda played shitty last yr.

6. JTAM963 says: Apr 28, 2010 6:25 PM

As a Bears fan I watched him play a lot. Heavy hitter but isn’t good in coverage and loses himself on the field a lot.
    Happy to have Chris Harris back!
    Hope Major Wright can start also!
    Defense will be a lot better with solid safety play.
    Bear Down

7. Steeleheader says: Apr 28, 2010 6:30 PM

And why would the Bears want a 2011 pick if there is still O-Line issues to address for 2010? Oh yea, I forgot who’s in charge.
    Ridiculous

8. Drat says: Apr 28, 2010 6:34 PM

Payne will start immediately and be the second best player in the Rams entire defensive backfield. That said, he’s second-string talent at best by NFL standards.

9. BroncoInMontana says: Apr 28, 2010 6:42 PM

@piloto8
    Well played sir. That was a hilarious typo on Gregg’s part.

10. PinesRob says: Apr 28, 2010 6:50 PM

20 int game lmao!!!!!

11. buddha says: Apr 28, 2010 7:00 PM

GOBEARSGO, thats not an interesting note. Thats just some nonsense bullshit!! Who cares about that?!!

12. Pack_Attack says: Apr 28, 2010 7:26 PM

Ahhh another swell move in their hot pursuit of ….The Detroit Lions.

13. gobearsgo says: Apr 28, 2010 7:30 PM

buddha:
    To each his own. Fortunately I have better things to do than be an internet douche.

14. DWat393 says: Apr 28, 2010 8:35 PM

# Steeleheader says: April 28, 2010 6:30 PM
    Ridiculous
    ———————————-
    What do you recommend? Should they have gotten a 2010 pick for him instead?
    At least they got something for him, as I’m assuming they would have released him otherwise. They’re not going to get anyone worthwhile on the line for a backup safety. Might as well take their chances in the draft, even if it is a sixth or seventh rounder.

15. flipside715 says: Apr 28, 2010 9:23 PM

# Steeleheader says: April 28, 2010 6:30 PM
    Ridiculous
    ===================================
    They want a pick because they’re too deep at safety you big dumbass….
    So far, chicago’s front office has done good job filling needs…they have too many needs to address and it all can”t be fixed in one off-season. That’s how bad they are, but J.A & co are makin good moves

16. JTAM963 says: Apr 28, 2010 9:27 PM

Yeah, your not goin to get much for a BACKUP safety. What do you really expect? We got a pick, which sounds good to me. Regardless of the round, we can also use it any trades next year or use the pick.
    I say we sign Deuce Lutui

17. Steeleheader says: Apr 28, 2010 10:45 PM

I thought about some clever responses for your meaningful critiques of my comments but I figured it’s (you’re) not worth it. This is not clever but it is what it is. I’m a Bear fan. I’m a fan of football and admire every team and the players that were provided a chance to play at NFL level. Maybe you’re not a Bear fan. It doesn’t sound like it. That’s fine. My comment was for Bear fans. I grew up, trained and played, in the Cal City / Lansing area and continued in KY. I know and grew up around the Butkus family, watched Mark Butkus get his knee blown out on the sideline and played with / against John Jurkovic. If you knew me (and you never will) and asked them about me, big bumbass would not be the words they would use to describe me….to you – although they called ME that in fun. It’s so obvious to most Bear fans that there are more needs to be addressed and management has not addressed the offensive line. Jerry Angelo and crew probably will not be there to see that pick they got in 2011. That is not “all in” to me. Anyone that ever played beyond Al Bundy High School should already see that. The fact is, most that post anything on PFT have not. I’m no expert but who is?

18. PULL&SEAL says: Apr 29, 2010 6:45 AM

In three years they’ll probably be making a trade to get Kevin Payne back. The Bears are a mess.

19. Alan R says: Apr 29, 2010 9:12 AM

Wow a 5th round safety gets traded for a 2011 draft pick yet the Skins traded Jason Campbell to the Raiders and the only thing they could get was a 2012 draft pick. Haha… Skins and Bears both suck.

20. oldy75 says: Apr 29, 2010 9:36 AM

I heard that Kevin Payne was late getting to St. Louis for his physical because he took a bad angle and went past the city completely.

21. ChicagoJo says: Apr 29, 2010 10:00 AM

@goBearsgo:
    I found your comment interesting, more people should post trying to add little info like that. Most people just try to be funny or rip on another poster/team.
    Payne was going to be cut, I heard they were shopping him even before the draft. Any pick is better than nothing, and even though they need O line help there probably wasn’t a team offering any in exchange for Payne. Hopefully his career picks up in STL, he is a great hitter but should stay in the box.

22. flipside715 says: Apr 29, 2010 10:45 AM

@steleheader
    You’re comment was to bears fans, and as a bear fan I disagree with what you said. First of all, you didnt have to write an essay about ur personal life. You don’t think JA is going “all in” but a few weeks ago, he just signed a DE for 100 mil. Two days ago, he wasn’t satisfied starting another rookie safety in a must win season for them, so they got chris harris and you know how well he did for us in ’05. Besides that, yea JA may not see that 2011 pick, but that’s better than just releasing one of our safeties. With Payne we had 7 safeties on our roster. (afalava, steltz, bullocks, manning, harris, wright) They had to give one away to free up a roster spot so they could add more depth at a more important position like OL or DL.

23. Dewey Axewoond says: Apr 29, 2010 12:36 PM

My Bear Brethren,
    Be nice to each other, for fux sake. Save your jabs for the Biqueen fans who deserve it. :-)
    gobearsgo–the relationship between Payne & Harris IS interesting. It’s interesting to see how among the the players, frienships, football, and business can intermix and/or get in the way of each other. Then you’ve got to wonder how that dynamic affects the players, their motivation, and/or team chemistry. Thanks for adding it.
    Likewise, I also feel Steeleheader’s frustration.
    While I think the Bears have done an excellent job this off-season, I also think they’ve made what should have been the FIRST priority–the o-line–the LAST one.
    But there’s still time.
    I hope they do SOMETHING to address it, but even if not, I expect an improvement over last year (healthy LB’s/Forte, better coaching, and increased WR experience alone should help).
    Still, my cautious optimism has been more cautious than optimistic, after having similar enthusiasm last off-season, and we all know how that turned out.
    We’ll have to wait and see. I am happy the Bears got something in return for Payne…and while I wish him good luck and all that, I don’t know if I could stand to see ANOTHER Bears player go on to excel on some other team, after years of mediocrity on the Bears.
    It’s becoming a familiar pattern.
    So good luck, Payne, but not TOO much.
    Also, every time I read that list of safeties, I have to wonder:
    Why in the hell do we still have Bullocks in there?
    As far as I’m concerned, he’d be the first to go.
    Anyway, BEAR DOWN.