Dolphins owner will look into Ireland matter

The Dolphins are helping to make sure the Jeff Ireland/Dez Bryant controversy does not go away.

Owner Steve Ross, who has to be surprised this story has been featured so prominently on ESPN, issued a statement Wednesday:

“I will be looking into this matter personally and will take appropriate actions if necessary,” the statement reads. “I have always strived to comply with the highest standards in all aspects of my businesses including recruiting.  In interviewing employees we always look to obtain relevant and appropriate information in adherence with the best industry practices.”

We appreciated the gesture of Ireland’s statement and apology on Tuesday.  After this statement, we wonder if it’s a good idea for the Dolphins to continue to amplify a story they should hope goes away.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Dolphins owner will look into Ireland matter”
  1. filthymcnasty says: Apr 28, 2010 6:55 PM

hope Ross’ mother isn’t a whore.

2. joetoronto says: Apr 28, 2010 6:57 PM

It sounds like Jeff will be looking for a job soon.

3. Buffalo Hogan says: Apr 28, 2010 6:57 PM

Ben – thats your cue, go have “consenual” sex with some 20 yr old in a burger king bathroom.
    ———–
    My nose is big, uh-uh I’m not ashamed
    Big like a pickle, I’m still gettin’ paid
    I get laid by the ladies, ya know I’m in charge,
    both how I’m livin’ and my nose is large
    hey yo fat girl, c’mere–are ya ticklish?
    Yeah, I called ya fat.
    Look at me, I’m skinny
    It never stopped me from gettin’ busy
    I’m a freak
    I like the girls with the boom
    I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
    I’m crazy.
    Allow me to amaze thee.
    They say I’m ugly but it just don’t faze me.
    I’m still gettin’ in the girls’ pants
    and I even got my own dance
    The Humpty Dance is your chance to do the hump

4. MANNY says: Apr 28, 2010 7:03 PM

Hey Ross, fire that son of a bitch. He said your mother was a whore too.

5. biggs13 says: Apr 28, 2010 7:05 PM

They aren’t amplifying the story as much as you are.

6. robert ethan says: Apr 28, 2010 7:07 PM

Maybe with a little luck the light will shine on the corrupt figures around Bryant.
    David (I Sing for Mo Bling) Wells for one. Wells was at the meeting with Ireland and is the one pushing the agenda. The guy is at the centre of the coke driven Diva development industry that started with Michael Irvin and has continued down through Michael Crabtree to Dez Bryant. Its tentacles include Texas Senator Royce West, and most of the Dallas area black underworld.

7. pramis123 says: Apr 28, 2010 7:11 PM

8. promichael says: Apr 28, 2010 7:23 PM

Well Gregg your correct further public commenting by anyone within the Dolphin’s franchise will keep the story alive. However owner Stephen Ross does not have much to say in that Parcells controls everything about the football operations. Without control Parcells would not be there. This is the first chance the owner who paid over one billion for the team can take center stage. I’m sure Ross is most concened about the public relations of Ireland’s major gaff. Could this lead to a war between Parcells and owner Stephen Ross? Ross thus far, after paying over one billion dollars is allowed to sit in the draft room. Florio would love to see this brew into a controversy with Ross vs. Parcells……stay tuned to, “As The World Of Florio Spins Ross vs. Parcells.

9. dcryan82 says: Apr 28, 2010 7:28 PM

Pramis123…. As a Dolphin fan, I disagree with you, and feel that myself as a part of the fanbase that you speak of has never been offended or hurt by the Dolphins front office. I dont even know what you’re talking about to be honest…

10. MiamiDorkFins - Repo City says: Apr 28, 2010 7:30 PM

“this is not the first issue that has happened with Ireland and Parcells and their communication skills that has hurt not only the Dolphin brand, but its fan base.”
    Not the first time for these scumbags. Once again the “Dorks” show they are still the laughingstock of the NFL. Yes Mr. Wandstead, nothing has changed. Its still a Circus in Dorksville ………………………………………….

11. Dolphinatic says: Apr 28, 2010 7:34 PM

…. F… and the news on the team had been so good of late. Send him to sensitivity training and put him on a short leash.

12. The Wishbone says: Apr 28, 2010 7:34 PM

It’s not like he called her a whore, he just asked a question to provoke a reaction. One thing worse than the question is all this hoopla.

13. NYJALLFINGDAY says: Apr 28, 2010 7:46 PM

The Dolphags FO is apparently on the same level of class and intelligence as their fans, hahaha.
    7W9L, qoute me.

14. FireJerryJones says: Apr 28, 2010 8:10 PM

Who’s this ‘we’ you keep referring to?
    Why give credit to Roethlisberger or Ireland for reading a prepared statement?
    Parcells obviously told him to apologize and call Dez.
    What was his planned follow up question?

15. Omega says: Apr 28, 2010 8:11 PM

pramis123 says:
    As a Dolphin fan, I appreciate that our owner is taking this stand, because what people outside of Miami seem to miss is that this is not the first issue that has happened with Ireland and Parcells and their communication skills that has hurt not only the Dolphin brand, but its fan base. While no one expects nor wants Ireland or Parcells fired, they certainly need to be reprimanded about some of their business practices and hope that this review by Mr. Ross serves as a way to help both of those men improve the areas of their responsibilities that would be the easiest for most business executives to handle, but that “football coaches/scouts” may not be so knowledgeable or comfortable with, which is PR, marketing, HR law and people management/communication skills.”
    We’ll I be dammed an intelligent post on a football board.
    I tip my hat to you … Sir? Madam?

16. boltmancraft says: Apr 28, 2010 8:12 PM

To: Dez Bryant
    Fr: Stephen Ross
    Re: John Ireland
    Mr. Bryant,
    Unfortunately, my schedule is such that I cannot commit the amount of time it would require to thoroughly investigate this incident. As a result, our co-owner, Ms. Jennifer Lopez, will be taking over the primary investigative duties. Please be assured that Ms. Lopez has vast experience with all matters pertaining to the Miami Dolphins organization, as her recent draft prognostications on a late-night television show fully illustrate. Ms. Lopez certainly has her finger on the pulse of the Miami Dolphins, and she has all my support and confidence with regard to this matter. She will be staying in the Lanai Suite at the South Beach Ritz-Carlton this weekend, under the code name, “Miss XPDiddy-Ho”. I have every confidence this matter will come to a complete and satisfactory resolution.

17. boltmancraft says: Apr 28, 2010 8:12 PM

To: Dez Bryant
    Fr: Stephen Ross
    Re: Jeff Ireland
    Mr. Bryant,

18. Sting Ray says: Apr 28, 2010 8:17 PM

Rosenthal – It’s obvious Dolphin’s owner Steven Ross isn’t purely interested in public relations on this matter. It could be possible that he takes this situation seriously, and feels his personal integrity is involved to understand how this occurred and to take corrective action if merited.

19. FinFan says: Apr 28, 2010 8:52 PM

Jeff wont get fired. He will most likely be fined by the fins.
    However if the fins dont make playoffs this year perhaps he might be let go but the guy found allot of top notch talent. I doubt it.

20. LeeB says: Apr 28, 2010 8:54 PM

The question may have been inappropriately phrased but it is still a valid inquiry.
    No one knows the exact context of how this conversation evolved and Dez (and the Cowboys) may be trying to fan the fire. Dez should have kept this quiet and seek an apology in privat. Now the world know about his mom’s proclivities.
    His mother used/dealt in crack cocaine, was a prostitute, and his father is or was a pimp. Check.
    If these people are still in his life, then he will be at high risk for trouble. Check.
    Granted that Dez is not responsible for his parents’ irresponsibilities and illegal deeds, he will be in the company of these elements. Check.
    Let’s not be naive. If the drafting of athletes is not based on their parental affiliations, rest assure the teams at least consider potential time bombs.
    Problem #1. Cornerback is running a route next to Dez and tells him he met his mom last night and ….

21. Ron says: Apr 28, 2010 9:44 PM

This LONG post and you couldn’t even get Jeff Ireland’s name correct…so sad
    #
    I tip my hat to you … Sir? Madam?
    # boltmancraft says: April 28, 2010 8:12 PM
    To: Dez Bryant
    Fr: Stephen Ross
    Re: John Ireland
    Mr. Bryant,

22. grandavenue says: Apr 28, 2010 10:28 PM

Slow news week.

23. nothing says: Apr 28, 2010 11:16 PM

this just goes to show how they treat players they consider not their type, he should look into how they treated JT also, a player the will have his name put up in the Dolphins ring of honor.
    poor class and what does this say for future players that are currently on the roster that are going to be let go when there time is up with the team. there going to get the boot like JT!!!!!!

24. dolphins#1-FANATIC says: Apr 29, 2010 12:05 AM

Seriously…….Fat Tuna and Boy Wonder are starting to piss me off. They better start producing wins and more consistent drafts. If not send their ass out

25. Pigskin Potentate says: Apr 29, 2010 1:50 AM

Hey lee b,
    People who try to mask there clear prejudice behind intellectual dishonesty. Check
    She was arrested for selling drugs (not prostitution). Check
    Comments on the fact Bryant shouldn’t have spoke about the conversation, but not one word about how Ireland should have never asked the question or about how inappropriate the question was. Check
    If Ireland already had the facts (as you stated he did), why then would he be asking these questions if in fact it was only a fact-finding inquiry as you suggest it was. Check-mate!

26. contract says: Apr 29, 2010 5:43 AM

Ireland and Parcells resign in 3 … 2 … 1 …

27. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 29, 2010 8:19 AM

Man, this whore is causing a lot of problems.

28. overkil2 says: Apr 29, 2010 9:46 AM

“NYJALLFINGDAY says:
    April 28, 2010 7:46 PM
    7W9L, qoute me.

29. texasPHINSfan says: Apr 29, 2010 3:27 PM

i wish PFT would print stories about how Ireland and Parcells shafted Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor rather than this garbage.
    we’re not defending the front office – we just hate them for different reasons. i could care less if they asked someone if their mother was a prostitute.
    it’s a potential employer asking a question during a job interview, not a big deal. jesus. you pay me millions and you can ask me if my mom was bangkok betty, i don’t care. it isn’t true, so i’m not offended

30. NYJALLFINGDAY says: Apr 29, 2010 4:47 PM

overkil2 says:April 29, 2010 9:46 AM
    “Next time you talk about lack of intelligence, please try and spell quote correctly. I guess that would be hard for a JETS’ Fan.”
    OH SHIT, I spelled a word wrong, I am quite obviously stupid. Congratulations good sir, I have been intellectually checkmated. Tool.
    Also, overkill is spelled with two l’s, ya douche.