Rob Konrad speaks out in support of Jeff Ireland

With talk radio and the blogs and the NFLPA criticizing Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland for asking the question that, with a little help, could become the new “that’s what she said,” a former member of the team is now speaking out in Ireland’s defense.

“It’s important to keep in mind the context of these interviews, the
prospect of guaranteeing a 22-year-old stranger millions of dollars to
enter one of the most competitive, intolerant and insensitive
professional work environments around
,” Konrad wrote to Ethan Skolnick of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.  “I’m not attempting to defend the
question asked, but rather the person and the process.  Having been
through those interviews, in the locker room and on the field, I can
tell you that the work environment in the NFL is unique, one that would
be unacceptable in virtually any other industry.  The questions asked by
teams in pre-draft interviews usually have the dual purpose of getting
to know the player and testing their mindset.”

In this regard, Konrad is right.  With players polished up by their consultants and handlers, teams need to find out how they’ll react under the stress of the game — in sort of the same way that the military needs to see what may come out of a guy if/when he finds himself in battle.

Konrad wrote about his own experiences in this regard, as he was preparing to enter the NFL.  “When I was coming out of Syracuse University, I remember being asked ‘if I thought I could succeed as a white running back in the NFL?’ and ‘why I thought a kid who attended a suburban Massachusetts private high
school was tough enough to play in the NFL?’” Konrad said.  “If one were interviewing a
prospective executive for private industry, this line of questioning
likely wouldn’t be acceptable.”

Again, Konrad is right.  Such questions in other settings would be used a proof of illegal bias based on race.  In pro football, such questions are aimed at getting to the root of a guy’s character, in the hopes of predicting how he’ll act when facing stressful situations in practice, in the locker room, or in a game.

And so while most agree that Ireland’s question to Bryant crossed the line, it will be difficult if not impossible to determine where the line resides — and even harder to ensure that teams consistently will stay on the right side of it.  Eventually, NFL players will have to put up with verbal abuse, either from teammates or from opponents.  If teams aren’t permitted to simulate the verbal abuse during the pre-draft process, teams won’t be able to make the best possible decisions regarding whether the players to whom they’ll be paying big money will be able to function properly when faced with those situations at a time when it’s too late to pick someone else instead.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Rob Konrad speaks out in support of Jeff Ireland”
  1. juniorlas says: Apr 28, 2010 4:32 PM

Hey Florio, someone should ask Dez if he would have thought to bring this up IF he was drafted by Miami.

2. jwill007 says: Apr 28, 2010 4:32 PM

different point but you do that with coaching and prep and not in the interview…..lol
    opionions will be all over the board with this….

3. Dewey Axewoond says: Apr 28, 2010 4:35 PM

Spin it however you want–in this case, the ends still don’t justify the means.
    In other words, the need for answers might justify the need to ask questions, but it doesn’t justify THIS question–there are plenty of other ways to go about getting those exact same answers.
    Without being an offensive doucheslurper about it.

4. robert ethan says: Apr 28, 2010 4:36 PM

Bryant failed in the situation. Reliving it and rehashing it isn’t going to change the outcome. He had his 400 pound sugar daddy/homeboy/successful bail bondsman/drug money launderer, Wells by his side when it went down. Lame to the nth degree, Dozy.
    Anyone see the segment where Gruden confronted Tebow, asking “why should we think you can play in the NFL”, or something like that?
    Wham, Tebow is in his face…”Do you want me on your team?””Uh…uh..yeah…we drafted you”, mutters Gruden clearly put in his place.
    THAT is how you handle it.

5. frank booth says: Apr 28, 2010 4:36 PM

Is Konrad’s mother a whore?

6. The Greg says: Apr 28, 2010 4:37 PM

Well said! This has been my whole point throughout all of this. Yes, the question was insensitive, BUT was it inappropriate? I would say no, only in this context (ie. an “interview” for a million dollar gig in the NFL). You better believe the things DBs will say to Dez won’t compare to this question. Any team would want to know if the kid will freak out in a situation like that.
    Finally, I would like to add that I believe Ireland got the answer to his question. I think it had something to do with the Fins trading for the Beast, and trading down in the draft and not drafting Dez at 12. I think the fact that this leaked was all Ireland needed to know about Dez.

7. ADogDC says: Apr 28, 2010 4:43 PM

I agree with Konrad….All this outrage is ridicoulous (sp?). I bet that’s not even the worst question someone has gotten…
    This can comeback to haunt the player in the looong run……

8. mama tried says: Apr 28, 2010 4:44 PM

Well, was your momma a ho Konrad?!?!

9. Big Stretch says: Apr 28, 2010 4:44 PM

spoken like a lawyer.

10. marinofreakout says: Apr 28, 2010 4:45 PM

hmmm sounds like a little something i said in my last post…

11. spambait11 says: Apr 28, 2010 4:46 PM

Love the comparison between football players and “real” soldiers. I’m sure our boys in Iraq COMPLETELY AGREE with the analogy, though their lives are in danger constantly and they probably earn a lot less – on the whole.

12. Citizen Strange says: Apr 28, 2010 4:46 PM

It was a person in a position of power (Ireland) disrespecting a person who HAS to act subordinately.
    There is no fine line or gray area. Ireland is an insufferable jerk.

13. ADogDC says: Apr 28, 2010 4:47 PM

I agree with Konrad….

14. twinsanity says: Apr 28, 2010 4:48 PM

The line is simple. Families and kids are off limits, no matter what the situation is. Spare me the “NFL is a unique environment” nonsense, how many players with great backgrounds have been complete wastes of money while other players with horrible upbringings have moved past that and done just fine. For every Pacman Jones, there’s a Donald Driver. The stupid questions Konrad was asked are ok, once you start asking if people’s mother’s are whores or anything regarding someone’s children, you crossed the line. Goodell should step in and stop this immediately, this is the NFL equivalent of waterboarding. You think you’re getting key information that’s going to help you make a decision but in reality it’s counterproductive and only makes you look ghoulish.

15. Omega says: Apr 28, 2010 4:48 PM

Let me see if I’ve got this straight. Hypothetically, you watch four years of college and several years of high school film. In hostile environments a player never loses his cool, never over reacts. Then he is asked if his Mom is whore, and he gets emotional in response.
    Based on that you pass? Hell I would think a lot less of the player if he didn’t react. It would make me think that whores and drug pushers are so common in his background that the question just rolled off his back like water. No Big Deal.
    So, what is the “right” response?
    Stupid question.

16. Drat says: Apr 28, 2010 4:50 PM

There are plenty of personal, humiliating questions that could be used to put pressure on Dez. Some could be on the silly side (“when you fart, how often does a little liquid squirt out?”) or some could be much more serious, based on Dez’s own, personal life (for example, his choice of pro-day wardrobe: “so you must be gay?… if you work out in front of TVs and coaches practically nude”). That is noooo excuse whatsoever to ask if his mom’s a whore.

17. The Wishbone says: Apr 28, 2010 4:50 PM

“it will be difficult if not impossible to determine where the line resides — and even harder to ensure that teams consistently will stay on the right side of it. ”
    It’s real easy to do that. Make the questions public. Never again will a G.M. say, “Is your mother a whore?” Testing someone’s mental toughness or response to stress is not the same as calling someone’s momma a whore.

18. convince says: Apr 28, 2010 4:50 PM

Maybe there should be study done to determine if this “Process” works in predicting future behavior. I think its a cop out. Where do you draw the line? “What if you came home and found your parents shot dead?” “What if you over hear a few or your teammates, saying what is that black “N” doing playing quarterback?” There are a lot of stressful occupations out there and I assume they wouldn’t put up with such offensive questioning. I’m a police officer and find myself in stressful situations daily and I carry a firearm. Yet I was never questioned in such a way as this to induce a negative response. I think its irresponsible that the NFL continue to let the crap continue. If they want to solve the problem, just mandate the these sessions are video taped and reviewed at the League discretion. It would be easy to solve the “He Said She Said” situations.

19. .Vox Veritas. says: Apr 28, 2010 4:52 PM

These guys have absolutely zero idea of what it’s like to work in a highly competitive, intolerant and insensitive work environment. It’s football, for crying out loud, and it only lasts a few months out of the year. Get a real job and a real life and see what it’s like, millionaires.
    “In this regard, Konrad is right. With players polished up by their consultants and handlers, teams need to find out how they’ll react under the stress of the game — in sort of the same way that the military needs to see what may come out of a guy if/when he finds himself in battle.”
    Aw horsesiht, I summarily reject the silly comparisons. Nobody’s life depends on anything that has ever happened or will ever happen in the NFL. If you want to give them some sort of a stress test make them get real jobs for real paychecks and face the prospect that no work = no food or shelter for most people. I see that hundreds of job seekers camped out for days in Queens to try to get an elevator industry job. How’s that for a stress test?

20. Paracelsus says: Apr 28, 2010 4:52 PM

Konrad is wrong. You keep up with these ridiculous arguments. What are you testing in a room with a bunch of guy in suits or team gear? You are NOT going to learn what you want to learn. There are other ways for them just as there was for me in the real world. We are talking about football, NOT interviewing for the CIA or Navy Seals. I will grant those types of organizations some leeway, although much of it will be based on advance training and not initial interviews.
    These questions won’t have any correlation with what they are trying to achieve. Background checks will. Quit defending this nonsense. Maybe you should have kept your real world job for a little perspective.

21. yomomma says: Apr 28, 2010 4:54 PM

Years from now when we look back at Dez Bryant’s impact in the NFL, we may not focus on his career as a wide receiver. Rather, we will view him as the catalyst that changed the whole interview process for potential draftees. We can already see the ongoing transition from a back room grilling by the team’s GM to a standardized set of questions previously approved by the NFLPA and discretely asked by the team’s new psychological profiler.

22. cbrianwatkins says: Apr 28, 2010 4:54 PM

florio – how is it that you have countless spelling and grammatical errors in EVERY post, when 9 times out of 10 you’re copying and pasting someone else’s report?
    and NBC pays you for this crap?

23. jjcruiser says: Apr 28, 2010 4:54 PM

You are talking two different things here. One is whether it it okay morally and another is whether it is okay legally.
    I don’t care how intense the NFL is, it doesn’t allow it to break the law. Asking questions and acting on race discrimination is illegal, period. It’s not legal in investment banking, another intense industry. It’s not legal in the army, another intense place. Maybe the right way to say this is what is acceptable and unacceptable. It might be acceptable to say “as a white guy” but it’s certainly illegal. It might be unacceptable to say “is your momma a whore” but it’s conversely probably legal.
    Maybe no one wants to sue the NFL and maybe the NFL thinks it’s justified morally for asking these questions because of the enormous monetary outlay. Even if they are right that it’s defensible morally, it’s not defensible legally. They are different issues.

24. robert ethan says: Apr 28, 2010 4:56 PM

Bryant shouldn’t be whining about the Dolphins, at least they gave him the courtesy of an interview. Half the teams in the league took him off their list long before it came to that point. He may go down in history as the player who was responsible for the “Do Not Draft/Do Not Interview” prospect classification.

25. Drat says: Apr 28, 2010 4:57 PM

I honestly think that Florio’s position — that Dez handled himself well under stressful questioning — is dead wrong. I think Dez should have done one of these things:
    (1) Stand up, say politely “Thanks for the opportunity to meet. There are 31 other teams.” And walk out of the room.
    (2) Say “No, my mom’s not a prostitute. What about you, Jeff? Your mom a whore?”

26. PackAttackBackMan says: Apr 28, 2010 4:59 PM

This story needs to die already…..
    In all fairness here, the question was legit.
    Dez does have a questionable past…… But Ireland should have used a better choice of words for his concern.
    And Btw….Was she who they thought she was???

27. FreeAgentPro says: Apr 28, 2010 5:03 PM

So according to Florio, players should just expect ridiculously abusive and insulting lines of questioning and just yes or no with a straight face. The purpose is to test to incite anger? “Have you stopped beating your wife?”
    “Is your mother still turning tricks?” ” Does your sister give a great BJ?”

28. bertochini says: Apr 28, 2010 5:04 PM

D. Bryant, and his mother, can thank Silver for the never ending heckle he will recieve for the rest of his football days.

29. Stone says: Apr 28, 2010 5:05 PM

Weak argument to defend this guy. Would a teammate really ask another teammate something like that? And if a player on the opposing team did, then no doubt retribution would be met out at the bottom of a pile in the form of an eye gouge or testicle twist. Ireland was a prick for asking that question. I can understand the why, but obviously his ego overpowered his good sense and caused him to ask this particular question. Only a guy so full of himself and his own power would dare to ask that question of another man. I would have punched him in the f&cking face repeatedly until his face resembled Leonardo Decaprio’s character’s face in Gangs of New York after the Butcher meted out retribution for attempted murder.

30. ShootahCowboy says: Apr 28, 2010 5:10 PM

Couldn’t you get the appropriate response from asking, “What would you or say if someone called your Momma a whore?”
    Much better than actually asking if she is one.
    I make no apologies, and I guess I’ll never make it to the NFL, but if he had asked me, I would’ve went over the table at him. You DO NOT mess with a man’s mother, period….
    Just sayin’…

31. jimicos says: Apr 28, 2010 5:16 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it might be a legitimate question? Seriously, if you knew the stuff below (quoted text) about a guy you were preparing to give millions of dollars guaranteed, wouldn’t you want to know what his family life was like?
    I would. I wouldn’t ask a point-blank blunt question as we all assume Ireland did, but I’d definitely set someone to work to find out what his mom’s doing. It could have a direct bearing on his career. To dismiss it would be neglectful.
    And I think it’s more than a little hypocritical for a site that routinely refers to players who run afoul of the law as “turds” to question a team that tries to ferret out character issues. Go ahead and question the way it was done, but give them credit for at least investigating.
    “Bryant was born to a teenage mother who had three children by age 18 and sold drugs to get by (she spent 18 months in jail when Dez was 8). Endured an unstable upbringing and was placed in special education classes as a high school freshman because of a learning disability. It was around that time when he left his mother and moved in with his father (who is nearly 30 years older than his mother) and stepmother. In October of 2008, Bryant’s high school coach told the New York Times, “I’ve taken him to probably six or seven different places he called home. It wasn’t an ideal family situation. He was from trailer to trailer and house to house.” Combative and stubborn during his high school years, Bryant was kicked out of the house and moved in with his girlfriend at the time before qualifying academically.”

32. Vikes#28Owns says: Apr 28, 2010 5:17 PM

I also read that some NFL executives told Toby Gerhart that he wouldn’t succeed in the NFL because he is white. Say that to someone who isn’t white and we would have an uproar on our hands. Where is DeMaurice Smith with his public comments on that. Oh right that didn’t make the News so why would he.
    Seems to me the only thing DeMaurice really wanted was a chance to throw his face into the media a little bit more. I’m surprised he didn’t mention that the NFL has guaranteed TV contracts while he was at it.

33. dave says: Apr 28, 2010 5:19 PM

the question was fine
    it’s a sport, they’re determining mental makeup before they unload millions to a person
    you people trying to compare this to a normal job interview are dumb as hell

34. jimicos says: Apr 28, 2010 5:20 PM

Playmaker’s Dealer says:
    April 28, 2010 5:10 PM
    No excuse to ask about someones mom in these interviews…unless of course she’s 6-3, 230 and runs a 4.3. But I heard Bryant’s mom only ran a 4.7
    ————————-
    In all honesty, her 4.7 was judged to have been aided by two things.. Wind and police dogs. Her adjusted 40 time was 5.4

35. GangGreenCominAtYa says: Apr 28, 2010 5:26 PM

the dolphins suck and so does whoever supports them and there offensive management. i wonder if Ireland asked Tony Sparano if his mom is a whore or if his father works in waste management, or did that old ass Tuna ask him?

36. Omega says: Apr 28, 2010 5:28 PM

I still ask if the purpose was to get a reaction then what is the right reaction, or the reaction that you want to see?
    Emotional, may indicate you are a hot head. But it also shows passion and support of your Mother.
    A calm reaction shows constraint. Or perhaps in his neighborhood every Mom is a whore, so what is the big deal.
    I could understand the question if I could understand what the correct reaction was.

37. dcryan82 says: Apr 28, 2010 5:30 PM

Those of you who are whining and complaining about the harshness of the question are a bunch of sensitive, weak-minded, crybabies who must walk around with a vag between your legs infused with extra estrogen.. Get over it. I’m sure we’ve all been called/asked worse. Boo.. Hoo..

38. Gailikk says: Apr 28, 2010 5:50 PM

I don’t care about the feelings of any football player. Look, I work for a living, I make a paycheck and because I don’t get paid a lot I have rights I expect to be respected. The truth is if my job offered 850,000 a year and wanted to call me a bastard and question my parentage I would smile and keep working. Hell they could call me Mr. Bastard on my paycheck as long as I get to cash it.
    These athletes have done nothing to earn their money, except get asked a few tough questions prior to the draft. If you don’t like it, try real work for 10/hour somewhere. Just hearing about this makes me question Bryant’s sensitive nature.

39. biggs13 says: Apr 28, 2010 5:55 PM

Give me that kind of money and you can talk about my Mama all you want, then I’ll buy her a house…maybe even a whore house.

40. BigBenBangedBarbisBackside says: Apr 28, 2010 5:55 PM

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY????
    ONCE A WHORE ALWAYS A WHORE!
    IF THIS COMMENT MAKES ANYONE CRINGE? HE IS NOT WORTH THE STRESS AND MAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AS AN UNPROVEN ROOKIE!!! THIS WHOLE STORY IS A NON STORY AND JUST A BUNCH OF FOOTBALL FANS HAVING NOTHING BETTER TO DO BECAUSE THE SEASON DOESNT START FOR 4 MORE MONTHS…..
    SAD,,,REALLY….WHAT ABOUT BASEABLLL…..THE TWINS ARE SURE FUN TO WATCH THIS YEAR!!!!

41. robert ethan says: Apr 28, 2010 5:55 PM

Omega…..if you have to ask……
    No, seriously, Bryant should not have run to the teacher with that one. He or Wells, one of the two had to be the person who pointed the definitive finger. They both fancy themselves tough dudes, they shouldn’t need the extra help.
    Silver is slime, no good comes out of this for anyone other than him. Lots of people get hurt, Silver gets a raise.
    There are a hundred different “right” reactions. Doze Bryant, Drug Laundering Wells, and Yahoo! Silver! found the very “wrongest” way to deal with it.

42. bobinpuertorico says: Apr 28, 2010 5:57 PM

If anyone wants to claim that this question was just part of Miami’s battery of tests to see how players react, there is a simple way to prove that this question was appropriate. Just survey the other 100 or more players interviewed by Miami and determine if they were asked the same or a similar question (e.g., is you sister a prostitute, was your grandmother, etc.). If they all were asked this type of question, then it is justified. If 90% were asked, it is still alright. If only black players were asked this type of question, but not white players, then there is a problem. If only a few were asked this question, or if Dez Bryant was the only one asked this question, then Goodell should suspend Ireland for half or more of the season and Miami should forfeit their 2011 first round draft pick.

43. jimicos says: Apr 28, 2010 6:02 PM

GangGreenCominAtYa says:
    April 28, 2010 5:26 PM
    ————————-
    Did he have reason to suspect Tony Sparano’s mom was a whore? The bottom line is there’s a reason Dez Bryant was asked this question, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the position he was interviewing for (player vs coach) or the color of his skin.

44. Drat says: Apr 28, 2010 6:03 PM

Dear dcryan,
    Oh, you are a tough man. And you are wrong. Nobody ever asked me if my mom was a whore. And guess what? I bet nobody ever asked you that question. And I also guess that if they did, you wouldn’t take it.
    so stop being a silly little boy hypocrite.

45. Omega says: Apr 28, 2010 6:09 PM

dcry82, if you read my comments as being sensitive then you have read me wrong.
    My comments as being about integrity. Support of your family. About reacting when you have been insulted.
    dcyan83, I take it you would take an insult like this about your Mom with no reaction? And you would do this because to react would make you sensitive? I think no reaction would make you hollow, dense, numb, cadaver like.

46. willmose says: Apr 28, 2010 6:14 PM

Sportswritting is a tough giff. Konrad, I just did your wife and mom for ten bucks and got nine fifty back in change. Your mom said she always gets a buck to do you.

47. DeathSpiral says: Apr 28, 2010 6:15 PM

Rob & Jeff,
    Would you like it if someone asked you in an interview if your mom was a prostitute? No.
    You want to see if they are tough, why don’t you water board them? Hit them with a tazer.
    My point is there are boundaries of common sense and good taste and Jeff abso-freaking-lutley crossed it. Matt Millen’s stupid comment is quaint compared to this dumb*ss question.
    If Jeff apologized before this blew up in the media, then good for him. If not, he should be ashamed.
    -DeathSpiral

48. dcryan82 says: Apr 28, 2010 6:36 PM

Drat says:
    April 28, 2010 6:03 PM
    Dear dcryan,
    so stop being a silly little boy hypocrite.
    _____________________________
    LOL! I played football for 12 years. I never got asked. I was told those things about my family members on the field all the time. It was all trash talk.
    In the interview, Ireland ASKED if she was a prostitute.. Which is a profession (legally some places haha). He didn’t call her a whore. And you dont know me so how could you “bet” anything about me? I’m not a hypocrit of any sort, I would have laughed because I know it’s not true (maybe in Bryant’s case, she was and that’s why he made such a big deal about it.. Truth hurts sometimes). I’m sorry that I am not a sensitive child, and have thick enough skin to not let a stupid question like that bother me to the point that it is bothering some of you.

49. jimicos says: Apr 28, 2010 6:47 PM

bobinpuertorico says:
    April 28, 2010 5:57 PM
    —————————–
    This makes no sense whatsoever. The league wants to keep “the shield” clean, right? That’s why Goodell suspended Vick and Roethlisberger, right? So doesn’t it make sense for teams to find out whether or not they’re drafting “turds”?
    Part of the impetus behind asking the question may have been to judge Bryant’s reaction. However, I’d be shocked if Ireland asked any other potential draftees that same question, and for good reason. Dez Bryant is probably the only draftee (or at least the only high 1st round talent) they interviewed whose mother might actually be a prostitute.
    Maybe Ireland already knew the answer before he asked, and was attempting to judge Bryant’s composure and truthfulness.
    Maybe he really didn’t know the answer and just wanted to find out Bryant’s family situation.
    Maybe none of us know how that conversation went or how the question was phrased.
    But to suggest that Ireland should be suspended and Miami should lose draft picks over this is beyond ridiculous. Ireland got lambasted in the media, he apologized to Bryant, Bryant accepted his apology. Personally, I don’t care whether Ireland gets punished by the league or not.. But I don’t think it’s completely out of line for him to inquire into Bryant’s background and family life. It could directly impact his production as an NFL receiver and it’d be foolish and irresponsible not to figure out whether or not Bryant’s family will be a distraction to him and a stain on “the shield”.
    Had they drafted him, the Dolphins would be responsible for Bryant’s actions as an employee of the NFL. Given the level of monetary commitment, doesn’t it make sense that they’d want to safeguard that investment?
    Ask the Vikings if they should’ve asked Dimitrius Underwood a few more questions a few years ago. If they’d known he wouldn’t complete a single practice session with the team I’ll bet they wouldn’t have spent the 29th overall pick on him. That’s what this question was about. And clearly, Miami decided they weren’t comfortable with Bryant. Rather than draft him with the #12 pick, they traded down to #28 and selected Jared Odrick.

50. tobago says: Apr 28, 2010 6:49 PM

The question was out of line, Konrad can try to rationalize it all he wants.

51. Fizz says: Apr 28, 2010 7:11 PM

It’s funny how no one knows the questions that were being asked before that question was asked. Rumor has it that his dad was a pimp and his moon use to work for his dad. What do u think the next question would be

52. geek says: Apr 28, 2010 7:43 PM

Here are a few simple rules to help teams out:
    1.) “Yo’ Mama” is off limits.
    2.) References to a players sexuality is not OK.
    3.) Use of any word you wouldn’t use in a press conference is not acceptable.
    4.) Any comment made to a player that could be considered libel if made in a press conference is not acceptable.
    Here is a clue: any question you ask could come back to the press once you don’t draft the guy (or before). If you don’t want people to know you asked the question, chances are you shouldn’t have asked the question…

53. REST_IN_P_I_S_S says: Apr 28, 2010 7:52 PM

Hey your mom sold dope, went to prison, had three kids before she was 18 and had you with a man 30 years older, right? I guess she is normal and in no way turded you up along the way. I wont ask you any questions about any of that even though I may pay you between 5 and 10 million dollars in guaranteed money because there is no way possible that may have affected you negatively. So instead of asking if your mom was a prostitute, I will just ask you if you how tall you are even though I have it right i front of me.

54. tj.52 says: Apr 28, 2010 7:57 PM

The only thing guaranteed to come out of this whole mess is that as soon as “Dez” lines up against his 1st NFL cornerback, the inevitable question will be: “So, is yo mamma really a ho?”
    If Dez smiles and says “no more than yours”, its over.
    If he gets indignant and upset like he has been, he’ll be hearing “yo mammas a ho” until he retires. (or until the libs make it illegal to call someones mamma a ho)

55. redsquare says: Apr 28, 2010 8:30 PM

“I’m not attempting to defend the question asked”
    That’s a baldfaced lie.

56. SeantheFinFan says: Apr 28, 2010 8:35 PM

Me personally i would have probably broken irelands neck ……. but i do understand where Konrad is coming from.
    Florio this is one of your better articles

57. jplantz says: Apr 28, 2010 8:37 PM

Seriously Florio, why are you carrying water for Ireland? There’s a world of difference between an interviewer questioning a prospects toughness and questioning a prospects mothers character with such a vile question.

58. antneejay2 says: Apr 28, 2010 9:05 PM

“And so while most agree that Ireland’s question to Bryant crossed the line, it will be difficult if not impossible to determine where the line resides” – Florio
    How about between the player and his mother?

59. texasPHINSfan says: Apr 29, 2010 3:30 PM

kudos to konrad. all good points that it seems no one here has thought of.
    this can’t possibly be the worst question asked by an NFL executive.
    why no backlash to Dez for publicizing this? If it’s embarassing and you’re offended, don’t bring it up again by telling the world in a press conference. it’s over and done with.
    braylon edwards did this after his draft too – cried because he “thought” a team was going to take him and didn’t. give me a break. rich baby millionaires.