Shaun Phillips has a unique opinion on those with opinions

During a radio blitz aimed at promoting an upcoming bowling event for charity, Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips showed up at XX 1090 in San Diego for a segment with Darren Smith.

And it got a little awkward.

Smith had the nerve to ask about something other than the upcoming bowling event for charity, such as the January playoff loss to the Jets.  Specifically, Smith asked about a personal-foul penalty arising from a head butt deep in San Diego’s end of the field.

Phillips explained the events that led to the penalty, and then he pointed out that the good things he and his teammates had done easily get forgotten when something bad happens.  Eventually, he offered up a blunt point.

“If someone can do
better, they should try out for the team,” Phillips said.  “If they can’t do better, then they should shut their
mouth.”

The discussion continued regarding the concept of whether folks should express opinions unless they believe they can do a better job.  It seemed to be a thinly-veiled shot at Smith and other journalists and broadcasters who criticize Phillips and other football players for their periodic blunders.

Through it all, the discussion never got heated or ugly.  Phillips didn’t raise his voice, and Smith never seemed to be intimidated in any way.

But Phillips emerged from the interview with a new resolve.  He said on his Twitter page that he’ll never do another interview on XX 1090.

Maybe Phillips simply thinks he can’t do a better job than other guys who do radio interviews.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Shaun Phillips has a unique opinion on those with opinions”
  1. joetoronto says: Apr 28, 2010 8:00 AM

Yup, he’s a Charger. What a loser.
    Right, Sourdough?

2. DrakeDB says: Apr 28, 2010 8:02 AM

Frankly, he and his entire team should still be holding their heads in shame after losing to the Jets, for cryin’ out loud.

3. bobinpuertorico says: Apr 28, 2010 8:07 AM

Actually, he has realized that he is not able to do a better job than others as a participant in live interviews, so he is taking his own advice and keeping his mouth shut.

4. TylerDurden says: Apr 28, 2010 8:10 AM

He’s right, you know….

5. Big Stretch says: Apr 28, 2010 8:12 AM

I can see Phillips’ point. We as fans expect football players to play with heart and emotion, and to demonstrate a passion for the game. So it makes sense that occasionally some players get caught up in the moment and do or say something stupid, and it’s easy to talk shit about those people if their actions result in a penalty or worse. My point of view is that I would rather have a guy on my team that gets pissed off and shows emotion even if it occasionally results in a penalty, then have a guy on my team who smiles and jogs off the field when something bad happens to his team.

6. jolly says: Apr 28, 2010 8:18 AM

Yeah sure, crucify him cause he took a shot at the media. Cause it’s only the media who has the God government right to tear others down for a buck.
    You all can give but never take.

7. Mean D says: Apr 28, 2010 8:23 AM

Yet another NFL player who has no business going near a microphone.

8. black hole says: Apr 28, 2010 8:24 AM

Dude took a stupid penalty and can’t handle being asked about it? What a p–sy.

9. Eric says: Apr 28, 2010 8:25 AM

Big Stretch
    That’s just retarded. I couldnt imagine your team mate just got a dumb penalty and you walk off smiling.
    Mike Florio
    Good spin! I like how you noticed Philips, applying his own logic…

10. It puts the lotion on the skin says: Apr 28, 2010 8:27 AM

There is a fine line, between emotion, and stupidity. I want emotion out of my players, and passion, and a desire to win, but I dont want stupidity.
    I find it amusing, that Phillips deflects responsibility about the whole thing. His answer, basically says: I am going to do what I want, when I want, and I dont care what you think. Unless you can do my job better than me, I can do whatever I want.
    He has a point, if there is no one better on the team, then it is what it is. But it is a bit childish to justify a wrong, by saying no one else can do it better. But then again, he had been a team mate of Tomlinson for like 5 years…..

11. Omega says: Apr 28, 2010 8:27 AM

It’s an interesting point about criticism from the fans. I have sons who all played HS football on some teams that were less than competitive. I recall one especially ugly game where some fellow schoolmates became especially vocal. One of the Dads walked up to these “fans” and asked a simple question. Why are you sitting in the stands? It must either because you lack talent or the stones to play.
    We never heard a peep from them again.

12. jl says: Apr 28, 2010 8:31 AM

I understand the frustration but at some point shouldn’t someone ask him if realizes that the reason he makes so much money is because so many people care enough to have opinions?

13. dakotah says: Apr 28, 2010 8:31 AM

Gee, if people who can’t do better shouldn’t express an opinion, wouldn’t that eliminate 99% of the posts on this blog? That could destroy Florio’s income stream.
    Perhaps Shaun Phillips has a point.

14. Empire Jones says: Apr 28, 2010 8:34 AM

But all Shaun had to do was admit and say, “It was a dumb move, it was the playoffs, emotions running high, and I bet myself, Floyd, VJ, Wilson… I bet we’d all like to have the game back and make some different choices and not draw flags.”
    That would have been the RIGHT thing to do, but then again Shaun would rather Tweet and run his mouth.
    Decent player, lousy attitude.

15. BigBear123 says: Apr 28, 2010 8:36 AM

Considering his team lost in the playoffs maybe shouldn’t offer opinions on how to play in the playoffs then.

16. grobb says: Apr 28, 2010 8:37 AM

More importantly, how did he bowl?

17. I_Hate_Yams says: Apr 28, 2010 8:49 AM

As a huge Charger fan, this guy’s act is getting tired just like the “other guy.”

18. I_Hate_Yams says: Apr 28, 2010 8:50 AM

19. Big Stretch says: Apr 28, 2010 9:00 AM

@Eric –
    Did you not understand what i said?
    ——————————————————-
    I was saying that i would rather have someone play with emotion and passion, than have someone on my team who didn’t seem to care about the game.
    In other words it would piss me off if a guy on my team made a mistake and just walked off the field smiling.

20. monger says: Apr 28, 2010 9:03 AM

I think Phillips is right, I mean, suppose his car needs new brakes and his mechanic doesn’t install them correctly causing Phillips to run into a tree. It’s not like Phillips would criticize the mechanic because the mechanic would just tell him off and say that unless Phillips could do better he should shut his mouth.
    Or suppose Phillips needs a medical operation performed, and the surgeon messes up and makes Phillip paralzyed from the neck down as opposed to being paralyzed from the neck up. Phillips would just shut his mouth unless he himself was a better surgeon, right?
    Or maybe, just maybe, there’s an outside chance that Phillips would take the position that because those guys were professionals who are paid large sums of money, that they’re expected to perform and not make stupid mistakes. Just like he’s expected NOT to get idiotic penalties that cost the team a win. And if he does make a mistake like that, then he’s held accountable for it by the people paying for it.

21. E.F.Cuttin says: Apr 28, 2010 9:10 AM

Fans are a trip…U act as if U can go out there and do the things the guys U criticize do, be it an athlete,actor,or singer…knowing U cannot.But instead of appreciating talented people, U wait 4 the 1st chance 2 tear one down…then U call them losers 4 reacting…which is what U just did when U read something U dont like…glad I dont consider myself a ‘fan’….

22. Nips Johnson says: Apr 28, 2010 9:13 AM

Before everyone judges Shaun and calls him this and that, check out this video (opens in new window):
    NFL.com: Shaun Phillips brings Christmas cheer

23. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Apr 28, 2010 9:29 AM

“One of the Dads walked up to these “fans” and asked a simple question. Why are you sitting in the stands? It must either because you lack talent or the stones to play.”
    Two differences:
    1) High schoolers aren’t getting paid $10M to play. Pros need to learn to accept criticism.
    2) The criticism here was due to stupidity, not simply losing. If you screw your team because you can’t control yourself, expect to hear about it and deal with it like a man.

24. mjh01210 says: Apr 28, 2010 10:10 AM

E.F.Cuttin says: “…U call them losers 4 reacting…which is what U just did when U read something U dont like…glad I dont consider myself a ‘fan'”
    ————————————–
    I’m just glad you don’t consider yourself “literate”. The point is this, if emotions are going to run high and cause you to do something stupid, then accept that someone is going to ask about it, and don’t act like an ass for someone daring to call you out for being stupid.

25. Empire Jones says: Apr 28, 2010 10:39 AM

EF Cuttin types on here JUST LIKE #95 tweets… BUSTED BRO!!!

26. HappyBunny says: Apr 28, 2010 11:07 AM

That has always been such an asinine argument from professional athletes… If that were the case, they should carry that over to all aspects of their lives. E.g., if they can’t cook, they should never complain about the food in a restaurant nor how one of their expensive automobiles is handled by a auto professional.

27. jp says: Apr 28, 2010 11:10 AM

Phillips will be on 91x (music station) in San Diego this morning. The DJ has already said on-air that he won’t ask about the head-butt, because he doesn’t want to get attacked on twitter. TUNE IN NOW

28. boltsbacker says: Apr 28, 2010 11:14 AM

Phillips also tweeted “… Darren is a jerk off.” If you listen to the interview, Darren did nothing to provoke Phillips idiotic, childish statements. Phillips was not upset at all when he was in the studio. He realized what a “jerk off” he was in the interview when fans starting commenting about it on Twitter. Then he started tweeting things like ” I will never go on 1090 again” and “Darren is a jerk off”. There are a lot of instances when I think athletes are unfairly critcized, but this is not one of them. As a Charger fan, it is disappointing to see the true colors of someone you have been a fan of.

29. Cake Or Death says: Apr 28, 2010 11:18 AM

Now that Cromartie is gone, Shaun Phillips has taken the mantle of dumbest current Charger. Take a little personal responsibility.

30. karmathaitch says: Apr 28, 2010 11:20 AM

I listen to the interview, and as a Bolt hardcore homer, I agree with Darren Smith.
    Charity or no charity, you dont produce on the feild, then you wont have money or an image to do charity events.
    Use your head. Still not over the f#@$%#@ Jets game!!!

31. OntBoltFan says: Apr 28, 2010 11:21 AM

Actually the NFL provides a product/service consumers purchase through ticket sales, NFL Sunday Ticket or indirectly through TV ads of products being advertised during the game that they purchase.
    The forums are the customer feedback or complaints department.

32. nflhof says: Apr 28, 2010 11:25 AM

I heard the interview live and he seemed a little po’ed when asked about the game, but then after the interview he had to go off and have a Twitter tantrum. Why does he have to hide behind Twitter and his tweets? I think he just wanted to pretend the Jets loss never happened. I also think Shaun was one of the players who ran out the back door after the game and choose not to face the media after the loss in the playoffs to the Jets. That says alot to me.

33. kpweaver27 says: Apr 28, 2010 11:31 AM

I just get that vibe from the Chargers that they aren’t really together. Maybe its the coaching staff, or maybe just the way the personnel works together. I just don’t see this team, as currently composed, ever making the Super Bowl.
    You know what the deal is Shaun? You only get all of that criticism because of a) high expectations, b) the Chargers’ fans, and c) the general success of the NFL. You can’t push aside the criticism and still take the love, the fame, and the money. It goes hand in hand.
    If it wasn’t for modern media coverage, we’d have no idea who Shaun Phillips even is. Now, having said that, it might have been a bit of a shot in the gut to have that brought up at a charity event, but it is what it is. Fame has consequences.

34. FiveFiveNine says: Apr 28, 2010 12:55 PM

“head butt deep in San Diego’s end”
    Ha ha ha.

35. Sourdough says: Apr 28, 2010 1:05 PM

joetoronto: I agree, #95 is a loser.
    Thanks for the shout out!

36. Shamrock says: Apr 28, 2010 1:16 PM

Shaun Phillips act is tired.
    The sooner AJ Smith dumps this turd, the better off the Chargers will be.

37. LightningLucci says: Apr 28, 2010 2:55 PM

Phillips took a while to clarify what he was trying to say, but here it is:
    There are people who will only focus on the negative and THOSE people should either try out for the team or STFU.
    For example, Peyton Manning’s interception in the Super Bowl was a back-breaker. If he hadn’t thrown it, maybe the Colts tie the game and go on to win. Naturally, here come the critics who solely blame Manning for the loss, despite all the other good plays he made in the game.
    Phillips is addressing THOSE types.

38. boltfanfromwv says: Apr 28, 2010 4:39 PM

It was a stupid penalty with terrible timing. I wish he would’ve played with as much emotion during the rest of the game “like before the whistle” maybe and we win. I just don’t buy it that his emotions got the better of him and it happens. Every player in the league plays with emotion, but that’s the only stupid head butt I remember from the whole playoffs. Phillips should shut up. If you do stupid things, you have to answer “stupid” questions. This is what he should worry about:
    2006 11.5 sacks
    2007 8.5
    2008 7.5
    2009 7.0
    He’s a player on the decline. Here’s to hoping Merriman has a comeback season for the ages and Larry English emerges as a star. Then we can send him packing next offseason.

39. Dasmol says: Apr 28, 2010 7:07 PM

@Empire Jones says:
    “As a diehard Charger fan, the headbutt was terrible and cost us 4 pts (TD over FG) which was the game.
    Decent player, lousy attitude.”
    Well said.

40. houstonsimpleton says: Apr 29, 2010 6:23 AM

Oh, guh.
    So it’s finally started to happen.
    The mouth flapping watchers asserting themselves as competition with the players for the public fandom’s attention. As in, “both our jobs are equal parts of this game of entertainment called the NFL, and I’m better at my job than you”.
    Guh. Next up: “I’m MORE IMPORTANT than you in this event called the NFL.”
    Someone please find a way, would you, that we can enjoy the football and the football news without needing the middle-man media, the damned pig watchers sucking at the trough.

41. matt79d says: May 8, 2010 12:59 PM

Most of you are missing the point, Phillips never really took the time to talk about his personal foul in the playoff game. So 5 months later he is asked about it and he flips out? Sorry, but you cant do something that stupid in that situation and just hope it all goes away.
    What Smith said was not attacking in any way, he simply asked a question (after giving philips run and publicity for his event) Grow up Shaun.