Caleb Campbell officially returns to Lions

Caleb Campbell is officially a Detroit Lion.  Again.

The Army 1st Lt.signed a deal with the Lions before joining the team for this weekend’s rookie minicamp, according to Warren McCarty on ESPN Radio 1440.

The news is no surprise; we mentioned in our one-liners today Campbell would be joining the team again this weekend.  Campbell was drafted in the seventh round of the 2008 draft, but the Army changed their policy of soliders playing professional sports in July 2008.

Campbell hasn’t played football since, so he is naturally worried about rust.  He’s also expected to transition from safety to linebacker.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Caleb Campbell officially returns to Lions”
  1. nfcbeast says: Apr 29, 2010 5:55 PM

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! I see alot of Afghan/Iraq anger getting laid into some peeps.
    I hate the Lions and Detroit in general ( cept the housing market…10,000 you can get a nice house!) But great for this guy!!!

2. G MACK says: Apr 29, 2010 5:55 PM

make it happen CC

3. RavensFreak00 says: Apr 29, 2010 5:56 PM

Good for him. He might have a chance to get some playing time considering the Lions traded away Ernie Sims.

4. raiders177 says: Apr 29, 2010 5:56 PM

Good for him, I wish him the best.

5. grimrod78 says: Apr 29, 2010 6:02 PM

good luck to caleb; he deserves to play in the nfl…as a bears fan, he will be the only lion I ever root for.

6. birdmancometh says: Apr 29, 2010 6:08 PM

Right on.

7. Jumbotron84 says: Apr 29, 2010 6:09 PM

He has also been training for the olympics in luge and was running in the 4.4′s at his workout.
    Rust? Sure
    But he is in better shape then any of these rook’s coming in!

8. robert ethan says: Apr 29, 2010 6:17 PM

Ahh….the prodigal son returns. Caleb, the little known third brother of Cain and Abel.

9. The Real Shuxion says: Apr 29, 2010 6:22 PM

# raiders177 says: April 29, 2010 5:56 PM
    Good for him, I wish him the best.
    ——————————————————
    I second that.

10. Browner says: Apr 29, 2010 6:47 PM

Good for him! They should be honored to have him for a teammate!

11. LiberalGuilt says: Apr 29, 2010 6:47 PM

Am I cynical for seeing through this as a total PR move? Nobody stays interested in a 7th round draft pick when he hasn’t played competitive ball in two years.

12. fastfred21 says: Apr 29, 2010 6:56 PM

nfcbiotch–lions fans hate u2

13. When Ben farts Debs lips move says: Apr 29, 2010 6:58 PM

The Lions aren’t my team, but I’ll absolutely be rooting for this guy.

14. adeem4578 says: Apr 29, 2010 7:08 PM

LiberalGuilt says:
    April 29, 2010 6:47 PM
    shut up

15. bluelion says: Apr 29, 2010 7:08 PM

Who knows how this dude will pan out at this point.
    However, a 6’2″ 230lb linebacker with ~4.5 forty speed seems to have a chance, considering he has the build to easily add another 10 lbs.
    A good value pick in the 7th round in 2008, and clearly a value move with no downside in 2010.

16. pacificamike says: Apr 29, 2010 7:13 PM

2010 NFC North
    Vikes 11-5
    Pack 9-7
    Lions 8-8
    Bears 6-10

17. Milky32 says: Apr 29, 2010 7:16 PM

@ LiberalGuilt
    Unless he plays for a team full of holes in the defense…no PR move necessary. Seems to me that the Lions are doing EVERYTHING necessary to get the right players in place. If memory serves me, he could have been drafted in the middle rounds if not for the teams around the NFL being concerned of his military status…

18. Rick says: Apr 29, 2010 7:16 PM

Roger Staubach served in Vietnam as did Rocky Blier so the is a precident of players coming to the NFL after serving their country

19. JimmyY says: Apr 29, 2010 7:20 PM

Somebody, anybody, willing to put their life on the line for your rights you should be proud of LiberalGuilt you jerk. You should commend them, not condone them even if he doesn’t make the team. Figures someone like you would come up with a negative slant towards someone who’s served their country.

20. kishcollageit says: Apr 29, 2010 7:36 PM

Welcome back! Strange that he might be the only soldier that will play in Soldier Field this year!

21. rolli1967 says: Apr 29, 2010 7:39 PM

LiberalGuilt says:
    April 29, 2010 6:47 PM
    ————————————————-
    Name says it all. LIBERAL PINHEAD!
    Thank you Caleb Campbell for serving our country. I wish you the best in your NFL career and in your life in general.

22. nfcbeast says: Apr 29, 2010 7:57 PM

Detroit is the gutter of the north. If it got warm enough up there it would smell worse than New Jersey……..Giggity giggity
    Lions are the worst team in the history of the world-that includes the universe.

23. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre says: Apr 29, 2010 8:02 PM

rolli1967 says:
    Name says it all. LIBERAL PINHEAD!
    ——————————————-
    Use of the word “pinhead” says it all. Your favorite show started 3 minutes ago, hurry!

24. simple_simon1 says: Apr 29, 2010 8:14 PM

Good luck Caleb…. Just for the record, Caleb was scheduled to go by round 3 to 4 if it wasn’t for his military obligations scaring people away…. I hope he lights things up…. Welcome to the team Caleb

25. JoeSchmoe says: Apr 29, 2010 8:17 PM

I don’t think Liberal Guilt means he’s liberal necessarily… but while there is PR to be had, what’s wrong with giving the guy his chance? Hell, guys have sat out and came back and ‘made it’ so to speak… look at Run Ricky Run! Chris Henry had his share, etc…
    True he was a 7th rounder, but he could still make THE FRICKIN LIONS!

26. ImissJoeydaLion says: Apr 29, 2010 8:28 PM

Thank you for serving Caleb! We look forward to you playing!

27. kishcollageit says: Apr 29, 2010 8:30 PM

nfcbeast is that all you have? Wow joke about Detroit! How about you come to the D if you are not scared.

28. Cougar Bait says: Apr 29, 2010 8:31 PM

@ LiberalGuilt
    Wow, man, you are clueless! Maybe u should stick to the Mojave Desert cross debate or immigration.
    Chad Hennings was an 11th round pick of the Cowboys in ’88, served 4 years in the Air Force, and came back to play 9 years.
    Naploeon McCallum served his 5 year commitment with the Navy and came back to play with the Raiders (untimely injury, though)
    For a more contemporary player, Kyle Eckel was on the Reserve/Military list for a season or two, as well, and he was an undrafted free agent.
    Yeah, there’s no guarantee that C. Campbell will make the roster, or even get out of this rookie mini-camp. But, there is precedent for teams who take flier’s on players from service acadamies (the NFL has a Reserve/Military list). Good luck to him in his pursuits, and thank you for your service.

29. rockotica says: Apr 29, 2010 8:46 PM

cut by july.

30. Chicagojeff says: Apr 29, 2010 8:50 PM

yeah well as a lifelong Bears fan and a Liberal I’m seriously rooting for this guy to make the team..
    I thought he laid some serious hits with the Cadets..

31. nfcbeast says: Apr 29, 2010 8:51 PM

hahaha what are you 12? Yeah, i’ll come say it to the city’s shitty skyline….Go iron your Eminem T-shirt and go protest another GM plant closing.

32. HerbertJablonski says: Apr 29, 2010 9:05 PM

LiberalGuilt says:
    April 29, 2010 6:47 PM
    ————————————————-
    Name says it all. LIBERAL PINHEAD!
    ————————————————–
    Actually using the name “liberal guilt” is meant to be a slam against liberals, so this guy is actually anti-liberal.

33. dafish says: Apr 29, 2010 9:36 PM

LiberalGuilt,
    Let’s just enjoy a nice story, huh?

34. mikeyclaw says: Apr 29, 2010 9:51 PM

@ Caleb ….. Hoooooahhhh!
    Welcome aboard, and thanks for your service LT!

35. rolli1967 says: Apr 29, 2010 10:12 PM

Real Vikings fans wouldn’t cheer for Favre says:
    April 29, 2010 8:02 PM
    rolli1967 says:
    Name says it all. LIBERAL PINHEAD!
    ——————————————-
    ———————————————–
    @real viking fans……..
    If the shoe fits…….it does not matter that O’Reilly coined the term. I could think of a lot more worse things to call liberals but I’ll just leave it at that…..this is not a political forum.

36. JDMP says: Apr 29, 2010 10:18 PM

Goooooooo Liiiiiiiiiioooooooooonnnnnnnssss!

37. rolli1967 says: Apr 29, 2010 10:20 PM

@HerbertJablonski,
    Thanks for pointing that out. I should have thought more about that one.
    @LiberalGuilt:
    My apologies for calling you a “liberal pinhead”, however I stand by my critisizm of being so cynical of a man who is honorably serving our country.

38. Cereal Blogger says: Apr 29, 2010 11:00 PM

Very cool, I hope he makes it

39. kishcollageit says: Apr 30, 2010 12:09 AM

nfcbeast appears to know all about Detroit! Can I ask what Sports town you follow?

40. Ee Oulo says: Apr 30, 2010 12:37 AM

Let me get this straight, y’all think he served his country? Correction: he served himself! Lets look at what he’s done:
    -accepted an appointment to one of the finest military institutions in the country, nay the world. Thousands of fine applicants were rejected to give him that 1:1300 seat.
    -by accepting the appointment agreed to a term of duty and service after graduation
    -got trained to serve this country as an officer in the military under this agreement
    -upon graduation gets drafted by the NFL and applies to get out of having to honor the agreement he made to serve the country in the military.
    -once he’s refused early release and is facing an actual deployment he suddenly decided he would now like to be an Olympic athlete in an event he had never had a previous affiliation with, had no hope of making the team, and didn’t come close to making the team.
    -after 2 years of still basically doing nothing to honor his service agreement just riding along on an athletic loophole he applies to now go get paid for playing a game.
    While he legally didn’t do anything wrong he is anything but a hero or a man of honor. Thousands of actual brave men and women died or were injured in service of this country while he did everything he could to take advantage of the system and avoid manning up and serving his country as he had agreed.
    I hope he does well with the Lions, but please don’t confuse what type of man he is with someone of honor and worthy of your respect.
    The following words mean nothing to him:
    “”I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God.” (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)”

41. sjfootball says: Apr 30, 2010 7:22 AM

He was training with the US bobsled team the last couple years.

42. SonsCompass says: Apr 30, 2010 9:35 AM

You don’t have to die or even go overseas to have served the country. I’m sure he didn’t twiddle his thumbs while he was in. I’m sure he served a purpose. And in all honesty, I bet most of the soldiers I’ve known (myself included) would try to get out if we had an opportunity to play in the NFL. Thats like winning the lottery. That said, if he dodged going over, I have no respect for that at all.

43. The Curse of Bobby Layne Part 2 says: Apr 30, 2010 11:03 AM

Ee Oulo,
    I think that SonsCompass pretty much sums it up well.
    For the Armed Forces to function properly, there are all kinds of roles and tasks that have to be performed besides being on the front lines, blasting people.
    Everyone in the Armed Forces from secretaries to cooks to the men and women on the front line form ONE TEAM….OUR team…..
    If you are or were in the military, you should be ashamed of yourself for not understanding that.

44. LiberalGuilt says: Apr 30, 2010 3:15 PM

@JimmyY, Rolli, etc…
    I shouldn’t need to explain my nick, but I will say that I respect my country and do not base my belief system on that of any specific political party.
    That said, not every thread needs to turn into a political flame war. My original post did not marginalize or demean Mr. Campbell’s military service in any way. If you think that my thoughts on Mr. Campbell’s constitutes an act of treason, I am sure that your heart is in the right place. Perhaps you truly think that patting a serviceman on the back anonymously on the internet makes you some sort of patriot. As far as empty gestures go, it’s on par with wearing an American flag lapel pin. But by all means rock on, John Adamses of the blogosphere. You’re really doing God’s work for our country.
    My point was this: if Caleb Campbell had played for Tulsa and spent two years away from any competitive football after graduation, do you think he’d be getting a look in the NFL now? Probably not. Is he more deserving of this tryout because he served our country? I would say it’s fair, but that’s not for me to say. The signing is good for Caleb because he has a chance to pursue his dream, and it’s good for the Lions because they get some positive headlines out of it. Everybody wins. But you’re naive if you think that the public perception had no bearing on this.