News of the one-year contract extension given by the Eagles to quarterback Kevin Kolb could be bad news for the Titans, who currently have the 2009 offensive player of the year under contract for three more years.
Chris Johnson has been staying away from offseason workouts. He wants a big raise, and we don’t expect him to show up for the T-shirts-and-shorts workout until he gets one. (There’s also a chance that he won’t show up for training camp, either, despite the very large daily fines that will apply.)
For now, the Titans are unfazed. “He is under contact, and I am concerned about the players that are
here, not the ones that are not,” coach Jeff Fisher said Thursday, according to Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I would love
for everybody to be here. I don’t think you can substitute outside the
building the workload that we get done here. It is obvious and has been
documented over the years but there’s always exceptions and I hope that
C.J. is taking good care of himself while he is not here. . . .
“Obviously they are taking advice from their agent,” Fisher said as to Johnson and two other players who aren’t participating in the offseason program, tight end Bo Scaife and linebacker Stephen Tulloch. “So
it is what it is. . . . I am not going to get into negotiations right now. Hopefully we can get things worked out.”
Unlike Kolb, who was entering the last year of his contract, Johnson is signed for three more seasons. Getting him paid a fair amount in light of the 30-percent rule will require a lot of creativity — and/or a lot of money paid out up front.
Until then, the only place that the Titans will see C.J. will be in the highlight reels from his first two NFL seasons.