Phillips: Dez Bryant among most talented I've ever seen

So I’m currently flying somewhere over Utah, on my way back home from a wedding, trying to decide if in-flight wi-fi is awesome or just a sneaky way to make sure I’m never again off my computer.

I’ve spent the last 30 minutes catching up with our PFT coverage over the weekend — holy crap, Sean Payton — and found no fewer than nine mentions of Dez Bryant.

Let’s make it an even ten.

Bryant wrapped up his first weekend in a Cowboys uniform by twisting his ankle at the end of Sunday’s minicamp practice and walking “gingerly” to the team bus.

The injury is a reminder that perhaps Bryant’s biggest challenge as a rookie will be getting in football shape, and staying healthy after so much time away from football.  Wade Phillips didn’t sound worried about the injury, and is even less concerned about Bryant’s ability.

Dez Bryant is an absolute talent, you don’t see that many come in and look that good that early,” Phillips said.“In 33 years, there’s not very many that I can say look that talented at their position for a three-day period.”

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Phillips: Dez Bryant among most talented I've ever seen”
  1. edgy1957 says: May 2, 2010 7:22 PM

What does twisting an ankle have to do with being in football shape? Seriously, how does this prove anything?

2. BigD88 says: May 2, 2010 7:29 PM

Haters will still come on here with something bitter and angry to say about Dez any minute now…

3. funi says: May 2, 2010 7:34 PM

Hey Wade, did Dez’s dad pimp out his hooker monther for you to say that? Or did Dieon and Crackhead Irvin say that? Dez Bryant will be next Jamarcus Russell..A BUST!!!!

4. boysroll says: May 2, 2010 7:35 PM

we are fing stacked. fill that safety position and LT and there are no weaknesses all the way to the SB.
    HOW BOUT THOSE COWBOYS!!!!!!!

5. Bwa Ha Ha says: May 2, 2010 7:42 PM

Wasn’t Roy Williams a “great talent” ? Didn’t they trade away a bunch for him?
    Weird

6. TFBuckFutter says: May 2, 2010 7:43 PM

List of 1000 yard receivers Wade Phillips has coached:
    Anthony Miller
    Eric Moulds
    Terrell Owens
    Miles Austin
    That’s really not a lot to compare to. Even if you count teams he wasn’t head coach of, you can only add Vance Johnson and one year of Andre Reed.
    So I wouldn’t say he’s really the authority on wide receiver talent.
    It’s like Jon Gruden calling a QB the most talented one he’s ever seen.

7. kravenm3 says: May 2, 2010 7:43 PM

I gotta agree with edgy1957…don’t see how being in football shape has anything to do with turning an ankle.

8. Fire Ted says: May 2, 2010 7:44 PM

Yeah, that Jeff George was pretty talented, too.

9. allday28 says: May 2, 2010 7:47 PM

Im not saying anything bad because I think Dez is a beast but, what else is the coach going to say? ” Yeah hes alright, I wish we drafted someone else.” NO he is going to talk up his players.

10. dj43 says: May 2, 2010 7:48 PM

Its not Dez Bryant, its the Cowboys declaring everyone they have/Draft is the better then they could have ever imagined!!!???
    Get over yourselves Dallas…….0 Bowls in what 17yrs? let alone playoff success

11. JJCheesehead says: May 2, 2010 7:51 PM

you didnt play many sports did you edgy?
    being out of shape = prone to injury

12. leaguemvp says: May 2, 2010 7:53 PM

If Dez can do what Roy was supposed to do then the cowboy offense could really take off next season. Romo’s numbers should benefit too. I’m more worried about the o-tackle position than if dez will produce, I think dez will be fine.

13. shaggeez says: May 2, 2010 7:53 PM

it has to do with being in football shape because when you are not in great conditioning you are more likely to have these injuries…its why rookie receivers almost always tweak their hamstrings and/or ankles in these early practices before the season

14. midwest says: May 2, 2010 7:54 PM

Dallas got a good one. If he can stay out of trouble, look out!

15. alfredb says: May 2, 2010 7:55 PM

I’m bitter and angry about all the attention given to Dez Bryant.

16. TheDPR says: May 2, 2010 7:57 PM

17. Dboy4lyfe says: May 2, 2010 7:57 PM

LMAO I hear you bigd88! Always got sumthyn to say h8 on h8rz!!!! I LOVE IT!!

18. jrube51 says: May 2, 2010 8:01 PM

First of all, I am a huge Dez Bryant fan and I really think he could become one of the best receivers in the NFL. I only verify my Dez Bryant fan status to show that I am not some “hater” just trying to taint Dez’s image.
    Anyway, the reason his ankle injury could have something to do with being out of shape is because when you aren’t in shape, you tend to tire more easily, and one of the first aspects of anyone’s game to go is footwork. Therefore, there is speculation that Dez being out of shape and his footwork deteriorating as the practice session wore on presents a situation where it would be easy to twist an ankle.

19. Abe Froeman says: May 2, 2010 8:02 PM

It’s awesome.

20. Mike in Naples says: May 2, 2010 8:03 PM

I think everyone knows Dez Bryant is talented. But really, what else is the the head coach supposed to say? This guy really stunk the place up, and oh yeah make sure you tell the owner what I said!

21. Voxy Moron says: May 2, 2010 8:11 PM

i heard his parents were pretty talented too, this thug belongs in dallass, like the old thug wearing 88

22. robert ethan says: May 2, 2010 8:16 PM

I don’t think there was ever a question about his talent. Based on all the scouting reports, one could safely conclude that
    a) Des Bryant would come into the league catching everything thrown his way and look good doing it,
    b) He would probably show up out of shape, and
    c) He would be answering a lot of questions not related to his play on the field. Bingo.

23. AutumnWind999 says: May 2, 2010 8:17 PM

I’ve maintained all along that Bryant was one of the two best players in this class (Suh being the other). Cowboys got an absolute steal. There are the Moss comparrisons but as a player, he’s more like T.O. or Andre Johnson. He’s going to be that good.

24. BigD88 says: May 2, 2010 8:22 PM

Hey dj43, what team do you root for?
    As far as Dez’s “injury,” yes it could be as a result of not being in football shape after such a long absence. However, like it was said, it’s not even a sprain and the only reason it’s news is because it’s Dez Bryant. He jumped up for a deep pass thrown behind him, and just landed a little awkwardly on his ankle. Ever played basketball and went up for a rebound and land a little funny and roll your ankle? It’s not a sprain, you hobble around for a bit and after an hour it’s like it never happened.
    Anyhow, I love the attention from tools like Voxy Moron and dj43. Goes to show just how successful the Cowboys really are. No one would bash them if nobody cared about them like the Cleveland Browns.
    GOOOOD MORNIN’ hate-hate-hataaaz!

25. BenRapistberger says: May 2, 2010 8:23 PM

I’m sure quotes like this will help ground that diva mentality.

26. Bious says: May 2, 2010 8:24 PM

He can’t block and drops passes in crunch time
    Wait to see how he reacts when he isn’t thrown the ball and the Cowboys start losing

27. Bigdoge99 says: May 2, 2010 8:27 PM

I hope Dez exceeds everyones expectations… Here’s a kid from a definitely less than ideal background, who has a chance to do very well. Rags-to-Riches story. Overcoming odds that were stacked against him from the very beginning. There are so many he could be an inspiration to. Yet some have nothing to say except to try and tear him down before he even gets started.

28. Profanity in ALL CAPS says: May 2, 2010 8:37 PM

that’s like John Gruden saying ‘so and so’ is the most talented QB i’ve ever seen. he had nothing to compare it to.

29. VoxVagina says: May 2, 2010 8:38 PM

Talent doesn’t always equal success in the NFL. He’s got to stay driven and focused to succeed. And keep his nose clean. He’s got the upside to succeed, he just needs to show the maturity.

30. McWest says: May 2, 2010 8:40 PM

I remember a quote by Wade Phillips when he was coaching with his dad Bum for the Houston Oilers. He said Steve Largent was too small and too slow to play in the NFL.

31. Kris Jenkins is a Grizzly Bear says: May 2, 2010 8:45 PM

dez was a man amongst boys in college. i couldnt believe how far he fell in the draft. i was really scared the pats would take him, instead they traded down so they can stock pile even more 7th round picks haha

32. Vikadontis Rex says: May 2, 2010 8:55 PM

# TFBuckFutter says: May 2, 2010 7:43 PM
    List of 1000 yard receivers Wade Phillips has coached:
    Anthony Miller
    Eric Moulds
    Terrell Owens
    Miles Austin
    So I wouldn’t say he’s really the authority on wide receiver talent.
    It’s like Jon Gruden calling a QB the most talented one he’s ever seen.
    —————————-
    hahahah

33. edgy1957 says: May 2, 2010 9:08 PM

JJCheesehead says:
    you didnt play many sports did you edgy?
    being out of shape = prone to injury
    ****************************
    Bzzz- WRONG – thank you for playing out game, here are your parting gifts. Being out of shape is NOT going to make you prone to ankle sprains, genius. Hamstring pulls but NOT ankle sprains (Foot work, my ass, to the other guy). I played football and basketball in the summer and ALWAYS showed up in shape but I had a couple of sprains when I landed wrong on the field (once in a hole that was supposed to have been filled the day before).

34. willsanity209 says: May 2, 2010 9:11 PM

All the idiots saying Dez is gonna be a bust and especially the moron saying that he is gonna be the next Jamarcus Russel, there is a huge difference between Bryant and Russel. Dez Bryant wasnt selected first overall and didnt sign a contract that would guarantee him $30+ retard. Dez Bryant was selected near the back of the first round, and if he doesnt turn out to be a top 5 reciever like he is supposed to be, trust me, it aint a big deal, at all. The problem for every other NFL team out there is, this guy is going to be a beast on the field. And what a value for Dallas at #24, he is gonna be shitting on everyone for the next 12 years. So hate on bums, hate on…. You would all love to have Dez Bryant on your team. Too bad youll have to settle for that Olinemen your team drafted in the first round. And thanks for the gift. We’ll take him.

35. Niner Jeff says: May 2, 2010 9:18 PM

Still no way you see him on any of these teams that improved their fantasy impact: http://www.fantasyfootballstarters.com/viewTopic.jsp?topicId=24989
    Actually, he could become a star, but it will be a tough lineup to crack.

36. highjak78 says: May 2, 2010 9:18 PM

Bigd88 – … and NOBODY cares about the overrated Cowboys outside the Dallas city limits. “America’s Team” my ass…they’re probably one of the most hated teams in america! Dez Bryant is a talent, for sure, but let’s see him in a REAL game before the entire Dallas fanbase lines up on their knees…

37. Hordak says: May 2, 2010 9:33 PM

TheDPR says:
    May 2, 2010 7:57 PM
    “Nothing bad to say about Dez but I won’t pass up the chance to point out that Wade Phillips doesn’t know jack about offense or offensive players.”
    Yeah, it’s not like he ever game planned to stop Jerry Rice…or Michael Irvin…or Randy Moss…or Cris Carter…or Marvin Harrison…or Larry Fitzgerald…

38. Pervy Harvin says: May 2, 2010 9:34 PM

Lez will be good but the Cowfags will still suck.
    Sincerely,
    Viking Fan

39. jan van flac says: May 2, 2010 9:41 PM

No doubt he’s going to be a great player but otherwise Dallas pretty much did nothing but get older this offseason.

40. this class sucks says: May 2, 2010 9:43 PM

@Hordak
    I am just sick of the people that read stuff like this or something like “Mike Singletary thinks Vernon Davis is a good TE.” Yeah of course he is going to say something like this. Why wouldn’t he? This doesn’t matter at all until Dez has played a down of actual football.

41. this class sucks says: May 2, 2010 9:52 PM

Two things I also want to add. First of all, why is it this guy got so hyped? I have been watching his youtube highlights and stats and he doesn’t seem that special. That doesn’t mean that he can’t be a great NFL player but I think its just stupid to make any type of comaprrison between him and Moss, TO, Johnson ect.
    Also; why is it Michael Oher gets a freaking movie and Dez doesn’t? He built the success he has now from the ground up. I am just sick of the Michael Oher hype for a mediocre linemen just because he had a rough up bringing. So did a lot of NFL players. Like I said, Dez, google Patrick Willis’ story. There are plenty of guys who have had tough roads to the NFL and I am sick of people talking about the blind side.

42. Dez Bryant says: May 2, 2010 9:54 PM

I wake up every morning and piss excellence, thats how I roll

43. efangule says: May 2, 2010 9:54 PM

Considering Phillips coaches for the 1-7boys, that ain’t saying jack!

44. The Black Cat says: May 2, 2010 10:31 PM

This is a great strategy — lets make sure his ego and head are as swelled up to huge proportions as early as possible and make sure he feels he is so gifted he doesn’t need to put in a ton of work to be great. This should work out really awesome for the other 31 teams!

45. willsanity209 says: May 2, 2010 10:36 PM

I meant $30+ Million by the way.
    Dez Bryant, I hope you beat out Roy to be the #2 on this team ASAP this year so you can start your rampage as early as possible. Romo needs to get you the ball at least 40% of the time on offense. You’re a force.
    We’re gonna eat good this year baby! =D

46. Badatitude08 says: May 2, 2010 10:39 PM

Wow, I sure did see a lot of hate in here…lol. Trying to discuss football with haters is like talking politics to a liberal in a political chat room, no facts just smack…lmao. You can be in football shape and still sprain the ankle. what do you think happens in the games half the time?…duhhhhh. Heck, there’s more injuries half the time during the season than in a practice session.

47. sdffa11 says: May 2, 2010 10:40 PM

bryant in that offense scares me. im hoping he turns into a bust but it doesnt look good.

48. Quentin673 says: May 2, 2010 10:52 PM

haha no one cares about the cowboys yet they get the most comments everytime they are a subject on this site. some of you guys have a funny way of not caring.

49. BenInAZ says: May 2, 2010 11:22 PM

Now all he needs is a quarterback that can throw with some semblance of accuracy…..too bad for Dez he has Tony….

50. djruetune says: May 2, 2010 11:25 PM

Those that use the term HATER, no matter the spelling.
    1) MTV and BET are on your favorite channel list.
    2) If collegiate completion is a part of your resume, it’s of the technical matter.
    3) You think diamond earrings on a guy is “classy”.
    4) Your musical collection is biased solely on what popular society deems “good music”.
    5) Books? What are those?
    6) It be pissin u off when dem hatas be hatin on dem dallus cowboyz yo!!!

51. BigD88 says: May 2, 2010 11:44 PM

Not to mention, Dez kept playing afterward. He finished the 1 on 1 drills and capped it off by beating 6th round pick Jamar Wall on a triple-move route (guess that ankle didn’t hurt him too much) (a slant-go-out). And then as a precaution the coaches held him out of the sprints afterward.
    Again, if this were anyone else, it would be a non story since it isn’t even a sprain. But since it’s Dez Bryant, it is a story because the writers know that most guys here flock out of the woodworks, which gives their site many hits, to say something bad about the kid they’ve never met, who overcame an environment that would break down 90% of those of us who follow him.

52. Hordak says: May 3, 2010 12:28 AM

this class sucks says:
    May 2, 2010 9:43 PM
    “@Hordak
    I think that guy meant more as a talent evaluator. Either way there is no logic to your argument. He already knew all those great players were talented its not like he drafted Jerry Rice.”
    If he meant “as a talent evaluator”, he should have said that. He specifically said that Wade knows neither offense nor offensive players, which is an asinine thing to say about someone who has spent the past three decades studying offenses and devising ways to beat them, including the ones with those great receivers.
    And, yeah, of course Wade would say good things about the Cowboys’ top pick. It doesn’t make it true, it doesn’t make it untrue.

53. willsanity209 says: May 3, 2010 1:09 AM

Yea too bad for you that Tony Romo is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL. Get your football knowledge straight BenInAZ…

54. The Black Cat says: May 3, 2010 2:18 AM

Maybe some of us just think its moronic for the coach to wax hall-of-fame about his receiver after a three day mini camp….certainly the veterans would get a good laugh out of that.

55. Rae "Tha Trooth" Carruth says: May 3, 2010 3:41 AM

# TFBuckFutter says: May 2, 2010 7:43 PM
    It’s like Jon Gruden calling a QB the most talented one he’s ever seen.
    ————————————————————————
    Jon Gruden worked with the Alpha and Omega, the king of kings, the lord of lords BRETT FAVRE

56. JerryJonesMoney says: May 3, 2010 4:36 AM

Dez will be a beast….no other reciever in the draft is even being mentioned but Dallas IS Dallas and if i lived somewhere else than Dallas i would talk down and hate every move the Cowboys made even if your tam was in the position the Cowboys were in the draft coming off a season Dallas did they wouldve done the same thing and taken a “problem” at 24 they did it with Moss in Minny but no one talked as much cuz well…its Minnesota…but this is Dallas and we expect this from every other NFL town in the country….the only coverage the Super Bowl champs get is a prescription scandal…The Cowboys run a football squad that breeds envy around the country and i love it and i wouldnt have any other owner in my city other then Jerry Jones…so let the envy continue after this
    GO COYBOYS
    (primetime games because everyone wants to watch the show hate it or love it)

57. DeAngelo Hall says: May 3, 2010 6:47 AM

I OWN #88

58. edgy1957 says: May 3, 2010 12:45 PM

this class sucks says:
    ****************************
    You need to contact that NFL because you’re obviously what they’re looking for in a talent scout…….
    This guy goes over the middle and makes catches, even knowing that he’s going to get hit. THAT is more than a lot of WRs are willing to do. He’s NOT afraid to take or give a hit and his elusiveness makes him a dangerous YAC receiver and return man. If you can’t see why this guy is so good, you shouldn’t quit your day job. My best friend and I argued over him and Crabtree as to who was better but NOT as to whether they would be stars in the NFL.

59. this class sucks says: May 3, 2010 4:53 PM

@edgy1957
    I’m not saying he won’t be a star in the NFL but Crabtree (stat wise) was worlds ahead of Dez in college so he deserved the hype. I agree that Dez has a lot of positive intangibles but so does Jordan Shipley. I also don’t see your logic where you think my opinion is completely unjustified and yours is dead on. I’m sure your NFL experience is just as deep as mine.
    @Hordak
    So by your logic any coach that has been in the league for a long period of time in any capacity is capable of spotting great offensive talent without the player having played a single NFL down. That makes sense. I’m sure thats not what you meant but you should go back to the junior college you dropped out from and take an english class so you can properly convey what you do mean.
    @djruetune
    I am sure you think of your self as very intelligent, well rounded person. And your stereotyping is very well thought out, and I appreciate the time you spent on it. But you don’t come off as a smart witty person as much as you come off as an up tight elitist douche bag. I just thought I would let you know. Have fun spending your life alone because you talk down to every person you want to have a relationship with.
    @Badatitude08
    You want facts? Republicans want to decrease government spending and size but want to increase the size of the military and security. The military is funded by the government. Ok there are some facts. Now counter them by calling me a socialist quick!

60. edgy1957 says: May 3, 2010 5:48 PM

this class sucks says:
    ******************************
    Again, don’t quit your day job. Crabtree accomplished everything he did in an offense that passed the ball 1725 times in his two years while Bryant did in an offense that passed it 712 times or less than 1/2 that of Texas Tech. In addition to that, Tech lost their top two receivers due to graduation before Crabtree hit the field while OSU only lost their #2 WR. In addition to all that, Crabtree was a REDSHIRT freshman while Bryant as a TRUE freshman. Crabtree had the advantage as “freshmen” but as “sophomores”, Bryant had an edge and a BIG one, when you consider the offenses.Crabtree was better but NOT worlds better.

61. edgy1957 says: May 3, 2010 6:23 PM

this class sucks says:
    ************************

62. edgy1957 says: May 3, 2010 6:31 PM

Oops. Meant 1425 passes in two years NOT 1725.

63. this class sucks says: May 3, 2010 9:32 PM

@Edgy1957
    So you concede the point that Crabtree was better in college and thus to assume he would be the worse pro would be doing so based on nothing.
    “I forgot to mention that I didn’t have to go to Youtube to see Dez Bryant’s highlights as I saw both him and Crabtree play on a weekly basis. I also got to see Lance Alworth, Bob Hayes, Warren Wells, John Stallworth and many others LIVE and not on Youtube.”
    So your logic is completely flawed unless you think that talent evaluation can only happen when a player is watched lived. I am sure you have an opinion on how good Tebow, Clasuen, Bradford, and McCoy will be. But it is impossible that you saw all their games live. So should your opinion be worth less than, say, a Florida fan? No of course not. Just because you saw players live doesn’t mean you know anything more than me about football.
    Here is one of the reasons why I think Dez is over hyped. I have seen people compare him to TO, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, and Andre Johnson. Idk about you but I am pretty sure those 4 guys have completely different styles of WR. That makes me think that the people who are making these comparisons either don’t understand that WRs are different or have no clue what they are talking about and are just playing the name association game. From what I have seen, I would have to say he reminds me of Josh Morgan from the 49ers and Virginia Tech. He doesn’t have blazing speed and his route running is far from perfect but he can catch the ball in traffic and understand how to get up field once he has it. I am not saying he will be as good, better, or worse, than Morgan. That is just who he reminds me of. If I had to guess I think he will have the same type of success as Roy Williams (before he came to Dallas). I think he will be good but not great and very overhyped. I think Crabtree will be better, but be undervalued.

64. edgy1957 says: May 3, 2010 11:11 PM

this class sucks says
    **********************
    Wow, you must have been a very poor student because you sure as hell can’t read or comprehend. Just where in the hell do you see me saying that Bryant would make a better pro than Crabtree? Crabtree had a slightly better college career based on his freshman year but Bryant had a better sophomore year. That being said, I believe that both will be outstanding professional WRs BUT I do believe that based on what the Cowboys are doing compared to the 49ers and Romo vs Smith, Bryant will end up having a few more catches but a lot more yards. Now, should Singletary change his mind or get replaced with a guy that wants to pass more, that could change. Both guys are capable of 70-90 for 1200 or more yards.
    Look, you could go to Youtube all you want and you will NOT see his full game. My God, I could put together a highlight reel for Darrius Heyward-Beyfrom college that would knock your socks off but if you ever saw him play, you saw him drop passes in college and that’s one of the reasons why so many people were so down on the Raiders taking him so high.
    Live not only means being there but also actually watching a game or two and not a bunch of highlights. Had you ever watched an actual game involving Dez Bryant, you’d have seen everything that has people raving about him. All you have is Youtube and the ravings of people who want to make a big deal about his mom and dad.
    Now, he’s closer to TO than he is Moss, in that he has good size and decent speed but isn’t a burner. The comparisons to Moss have NOTHING to do with their play but the fact that they were supposedly troubled players but that really pertains more to Randy, who ended up at Marshall ON HIS WAY DOWN after lost his scholarship to Notre Dame and was kicked off of the Florida State team because of marijuna.
    Morgan – are you nuts? Just in his first two years, Bryant had more of EVERYTHING than Morgan did in 4 years at Virginia Tech and the Hokies threw the ball for an average of about 330 times a year (about 26 less than OSU) and yet, he only led the team in receptions ONCE. Oh and as slow as you say that he is, he’s FASTER than Crabtree AND Morgan and gee, Morgan lost his job to — wait for it — Crabtree. Again, don’t quit your day job.

65. Big Tex says: May 4, 2010 1:56 PM

@Ben in AZ
    Quite possibly the least intelligent comment posted in a long time. Ben, dude, Tony Romo is the 8th most accurate passer in the HISTORY of the NFL. For active QBs, Romo ranks 3rd all time in passer rating. You sir, are either a complete moron or just a hater.
    @this class sucks
    Still trying to pump up that 9er receiving corps I see. Sorry guy, but your WR group is Michael Crabtree and a bunch of guys named Herb. One of the people comparing Bryant to Randy Moss is Dez’s position coach from college who also happens to be Randy Moss’ former position coach. He said Bryant is “better” at tracking and adjusting to the ball than Randy. Why don’t you send him a bunch of those youtube highlights and see if he changes his mind.

66. Hordak says: May 4, 2010 8:16 PM

this class sucks says:
    May 3, 2010 4:53 PM
    @Hordak
    I made myself perfectly clear, your sarcasm notwithstanding. I won’t accuse you of lacking the intelligence needed to comprehend since I’m sure that you understand my point. What you do lack is the decency to not be deliberately obtuse.