Jared Allen calls Bob Karmelowicz a "major influence"

Though unknown by most casual NFL fans, recently-deceased defensive line coach Bob Karmelowicz had a significant hand in the development of two of the best-known defensive linemen of the past two decades.

As mentioned in the announcement issued by the Lions, Karmelowicz’s most recent employer, Karmelowicz helped Warren Sapp make the transition from tight end to defensive tackle at the University of Miami in the early 1990s.

As an assistant with the Chiefs, Karmelowicz also helped turn a raw calf-roper into one of the best pass-rushers in the league.

And Jared Allen has expressed his appreciation for Karmelowicz’s role.  “He was a major influence in my career,” Allen told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.  “Not only was he a great coach, he was a better man.  He was a great
friend and I will miss him dearly.  I will always love him.”

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Jared Allen calls Bob Karmelowicz a "major influence"”
  1. burntorangehorn says: May 3, 2010 8:42 AM

Too bad his failures vastly outnumbered his successes in developing young linemen in KC. Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii, Eric Downing, Eddie Freeman, and a load of other day-one DL prospects say hello, Coach K.

2. klungemonger says: May 3, 2010 8:43 AM

Too bad he won’t be around with the Lions to help Suh tune his game up for the pros…

3. myeaglescantwin says: May 3, 2010 9:06 AM

who rips on a dead man’s performance. you’re a low character jerk.
    though you bring a valid standing, theres no need for that on a national base.

4. The Real Shuxion says: May 3, 2010 9:39 AM

——————————————————
    Rest in peace, he is not coaching the best defensive players in a better place.

5. The Real Shuxion says: May 3, 2010 10:02 AM

***NOW coaching the best players in a better place.
    Sorry I made a typo there. >_

6. Bdrunk says: May 3, 2010 10:30 AM

“Not only was he a great coach, he was a better man. He was a great friend and I will miss him dearly. I will always love him.”
    ———–
    GAY

7. imongo says: May 3, 2010 11:02 AM

Some of the very immature and uncalled for comments reflect poorly on both the screener and the children writing them. And would you call J A gay to his face? Go play with your key board little man.

8. thevikes99 says: May 3, 2010 11:15 AM

C’mon show some class people, I mean you can’t even rest in peace anymore with all the extra BS people have to spew.
    What’s the world coming to.
    Anyways R.I.P Coach K.

9. stevebog says: May 3, 2010 1:02 PM

I knew Karm during his senior year in colelge when he was named to the AP small college All-American team. His life was not easy. He lost both parents before he finished college and except for an older brother had no one else.
    Karm overcame a lot and had a long and illustrious coaching career. He was a man who took cancer on and darn near beat it.
    When all is said and done Karm was one guy I would never hesitate to go into a foxhole with.
    To you idiots that are rudely criticizing him Karm was a man to the very end. Even in death he could kick your whatever.

10. jimicos says: May 3, 2010 2:26 PM

Jared Allen calls Bob Karmelowicz a “major influence”
    That’s coming from someone who knows influences. And driving under them.

11. packers4life says: May 3, 2010 10:30 PM

“Jared Allen calls Bob Karmelowicz a “major influence”
    That’s coming from someone who knows influences. And driving under them.”
    Haha. That was a good one.

12. chickenragnarpartdeux says: May 4, 2010 8:46 AM

jimicos says:
    May 3, 2010 2:26 PM
    Jared Allen calls Bob Karmelowicz a “major influence”
    That’s coming from someone who knows influences. And driving under them.
    =========================
    Yeah Jimi, I guess that would make your major influence, 2 girls 1 cup then, right?

13. jimicos says: May 4, 2010 10:32 AM

chickenragnarpartdeux says:
    May 4, 2010 8:46 AM
    ————————-
    Wow, a chickenshit reference to poop. I never expected that. What’s the matter, fagnar? Ran out of gay one-liners?
    Write what you know…

14. chickenragnarpartdeux says: May 4, 2010 12:56 PM

jimicos says:
    May 4, 2010 10:32 AM
    chickenragnarpartdeux says:
    May 4, 2010 8:46 AM
    ————————-
    Write what you know…
    ===========================
    You started me on the fecal subject.
    It’s not my fault you were Hot Carl’d as a child.
    You have on 3 seperate occasionss offered to mail me poop. You are the fecally infatuated one, not me.
    I don’t need gay 1 liners. But, I’m sure you have a few you have used while you were out “crusing” that you are just dying to share.

15. jimicos says: May 4, 2010 2:36 PM

chickenragnarpartdeux says:
    May 4, 2010 12:56 PM
    You started me on the fecal subject.
    It’s not my fault you were Hot Carl’d as a child.
    ————————
    To be honest, most of the time I have to do a google search to find out whether your insults fall into category 1 (homosexuality) or category 2 (poop) or some combination of the two.
    You come up with terms, like “crusing” or “dutch rudder” or “Hot Carl”, so easily that I assume you know their meaning intimately.
    And my references to poop are almost exclusively related to you, for obvious reasons. You, however, sprinkle poop and gay comments in nearly every post.

16. burntorangehorn says: May 4, 2010 6:58 PM

“Show some class, people”?
    Eh, I made no comment that danced on his grave or anything. I simply think that Jared Allen’s views on Coach K ignore that he simply was not very effective as an NFL defensive line coach. He may have been a major influence, and may he rest in peace, but he was not exactly a major success as a DL coach.
    For the record, if Larry Johnson were to die tomorrow, I’d still vocalize that he blocked like Mariah Carey.

17. bill says: May 5, 2010 7:00 PM

the less said about the jerks who have nothing good to say, the better…I cannot evaluate Bob’s performance as I simply am not qualified, nor are 99% of the people who think they can…one thing I can say is somebody thought he could coach as he did so for 35 years in the NFL plus his years in college…I think that speaks much louder than anything the jerks have to offer…I did know Bob quite well during his time at ASU…his being from Connecticut as am I and having been introduced to Bob by a mutual CT friend, we had a lot of great fun…he was a good man, a friend to many and someone who was always fun to be with…after the success ASU had, going to the Rose Bowl for the first time, Bob got caught up in the “ASU scandal” with Kush and he spent a few tough years re-climbing the ladder by taking lesser jobs for a few years…the fact he regained his stature and climbed higher speaks greatly for his determination and basic goodness…while I had not seen him in many years, he will be missed nonetheless…