Former NFL linebacker dies in car accident

rogers-nick-2-mnv.jpgNick Rogers, a four-year NFL veteran who starred at Georgia Tech, died Monday in a single-vehicle accident, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  The car he was driving left the road and struck a utility pole.

A sixth-round pick of the Vikings in 2002, Rogers appeared in 16 games as a rookie, starting 11 of them.  In 2003, Rogers appeared in 16 games, with five starts.  He spent 2004 with the Packers and Colts, before finishing his career in 2005 with the Dolphins.

After football, he opened a barber shop.  He recently began refurbishing homes with his father.  The 30-year-old was married less than a month ago to Kia Jackson-Rogers, whom he had dated for more than a decade.  Per the AJC, Rogers once finagled his way out of a team function as a freshman, telling coach George O’Leary that he needed to attend her senior prom.

“He let him go but he gave him that stern O’Leary look,” former Tech teammate Sean Gregory said.  “All the fellas,
we got on him for years about that.”

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Kia and the rest of Rogers’ family and friends.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Former NFL linebacker dies in car accident”
  1. hizzle1281 says: May 4, 2010 1:22 PM

RIP

2. Johnnyb612 says: May 4, 2010 1:26 PM

Sorry to hear about any former Packer dying young; even if he was once a Viking. R.I.P. Nick Rodgers. “Only the good die young.”

3. _ROCKSTAR_ says: May 4, 2010 1:33 PM

RIP, sounds like he was a good man.

4. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: May 4, 2010 1:39 PM

Rest easy bro.

5. Stone says: May 4, 2010 1:43 PM

God that’s horrible.

6. GurpBadesha says: May 4, 2010 1:45 PM

RIP
    -Undertaker

7. CurseofBoJackson says: May 4, 2010 1:48 PM

Bad news, condolences to all involved. Mike, if this was a former Bengal, what witty headline would you have used and what dirt would you have dug up to include in the “article?”

8. The Real Shuxion says: May 4, 2010 1:49 PM

RIP bro.

9. WarrenMoonGOAT says: May 4, 2010 1:57 PM

r.i.p. brotha

10. surefooted says: May 4, 2010 1:59 PM

RIP. Sad to hear.

11. chickenragnarpartdeux says: May 4, 2010 1:59 PM

Johnnyb612 says:
    May 4, 2010 1:26 PM
    ================================
    Who cares who he played for? Seriously?!
    30 is too young to die.
    I don’t mean to rant about it, but if he was just a Viking, and not a Packer, you’d be ok with this?
    Uff.

12. richkotitte says: May 4, 2010 2:02 PM

Prayers to the wife and family. May his spirit live on through fond memories.

13. ShootahCowboy says: May 4, 2010 2:05 PM

Married for a month? Wow that’s tough…
    My thoughts and prayers to the family as well…
    RIP

14. Northern Lights Bomb says: May 4, 2010 2:15 PM

My condolences to his family. Seems like he really had it together in terms of “life after the NFL”. RIP.

15. Johnnyb612 says: May 4, 2010 2:22 PM

Of course it makes a difference. While any man dying too young is a great tragedy, of course it matters that he was a Packer. He was one of us! You people need to lighten up and not dissect every statement so thouroughly. Get a life fags!!!!!!

16. joe says: May 4, 2010 2:28 PM

How very tragic, he really looked like a nice, young man. My condolences to him, his family, and all who knew him.
    RIP Nick Rogers

17. JimmySmith says: May 4, 2010 2:36 PM

chickenragnarpartdeux says:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Viking fans appear to get their panties tied into a knot over the slightest possibility of an insult. The fact the guy wasted a year of his football life on the Viking’s roster is not even his fault. At least he showed the good sense to get out of there and on to teams that have actually won a Superbowl, a level that the Vikings haven’t come close to in over 30 years.
    The poor guy died in an auto accident, no he wasn’t driving over 100 mph on the local highways like Viking players have been known to do, it was just an accident, sort of like having 12 men in the huddle, you don’t mean to do it, it just happened.

18. spartyfi says: May 4, 2010 2:47 PM

um, people die. Why you all busting on johnny for taking a light hearted approach? That’s how some people deal with loss…there are 30 year olds dying every day in car accidents….I know that doesn’t make it ok, but my point is death happens. All you happy slappies that come on here with your holier than thou attitude cuz someone is making a light hearted joke can choke on a big one!

19. Primetime17 says: May 4, 2010 2:54 PM

Queue the packer and taint fans with their cute little quips about how the Vikings suck. (jimmysmith, look up mossy cade and randy woodfield you doorknob)
    Nick, loved watching you play, you were one heck of an athlete! My prayers go out to your family. Hope to see you on the other side Brother.

20. Pervy Harvin says: May 4, 2010 2:55 PM

Johnnyb612 says:
    May 4, 2010 1:26 PM
    ————————————————–
    Charles Starkweather.Richard Trenton Chase. Gilles de Rais. All died young. None of them good at all. Lose the outdated lame ass quotes tool.
    RIP

21. jimicos says: May 4, 2010 2:59 PM

CurseofBoJackson says:
    May 4, 2010 1:48 PM
    ———————–
    Well, it was a one car accident at 1:30 AM… The assumption has to be one of the following:
    – Alcohol was involved
    – Fell asleep while driving or inattentive driving
    – Excessive speed
    I’m not saying he was a bad guy or anything. I clearly don’t know. But I was surprised there was no mention of the cause of the accident or an ongoing investigation to determine the cause. And I mean those things were omitted in the AJC.
    I’m beyond being surprised about omissions or inaccuracies on PFT.

22. David56 says: May 4, 2010 3:04 PM

I lost my 18 year old kid brother in an auto accident. Icy road was the cause.
    My heart goes out to the family and loved ones of Nick Rogers. I know the kind of pain they must be feeling right now. God rest his soul and console those left behind who mourn.

23. knightsroundtable says: May 4, 2010 3:08 PM

R.I.P may God bless

24. Jimmy Smith and Bob Nelson are IDIOTS says: May 4, 2010 3:10 PM

WOW Jimmy. What a total lack of class (even for you).
    Way to take a tragic accident and turn it into a dig on the Viking franchise. Just another reason you are the lowest of all life on this site.
    You didn’t even get the facts straight. He was lucky enough to spend two years in Minnesota before going to that hell hole better known as Green Bay.

25. sven_ftw says: May 4, 2010 3:18 PM

rest in peace, former viking. :(

26. JimmySmith says: May 4, 2010 3:31 PM

Ok, I stand corrected, the guy wasted two years of his football career on a team that never won a Superbowl before moving on to two franchises that have, feel better now?

27. chickenragnarpartdeux says: May 4, 2010 3:34 PM

Johnnyb612 says:
    May 4, 2010 2:22 PM
    ================================
    1 of us?! lol, like you are part of the team.
    It shouldn’t matter who he played for.
    If he was solely a packer, it is still too young to die.
    —————————JimmySmith says:
    May 4, 2010 2:36 PM
    chickenragnarpartdeux says:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    —————-
    It has nothing to do with a perceived insult towards a franchise, idiot.
    It’s the total lack of class you and your jagoff freinds use when it comes to someones death.
    You have a serious problem.
    There is no place for your lame “attempt at humor” at the expense of the Vikings on a post about a young man dying.
    You may want to take a look in the mirror and ask yourself, if you even like you.
    I’m all for bashing other teams, but there is a time and a place.
    How about if a member of your family dies, and someone says at the funeral, ah it’s ok, he was just a Packer fan?
    You are an even bigger classless idiot than I thought..
    Good job, loser

28. ereihs says: May 4, 2010 3:38 PM

Yitgadal V Yitkadash Shamay Rabah

29. lilhopo says: May 4, 2010 3:48 PM

RIP from the Peters, Bell, and McKnight family it must be a tragic lost. You have our prayers

30. VikingFan04 says: May 4, 2010 3:53 PM

The guy was as drunk as booze-nose Kramer.

31. Cambodian Breast Milk says: May 4, 2010 4:02 PM

I’ll be 30yrs old at the end of this year. Definitely too young. I hate the Vikings with a passion, but this kid seemed to have a good mind set and stayed out of trouble from what it appears. Fixing up homes with his dad and owning a Barber Shop is very low key compared to some players. And to date a girl for a decade before tieing the knot, I applaud him.
    My heart completely goes out to his wife and family.

32. JimmySmith says: May 4, 2010 4:03 PM

Actually, I was at a family funeral and in the eulogy they mentioned he was a Packer fan, it was a proud part of his life. Had he been an idiot, I doubt whether they would have even mentioned the Vikings but maybe it’s just a regional custom.

33. packers4life says: May 4, 2010 4:03 PM

“He was lucky enough to spend two years in Minnesota before going to that hell hole better known as Green Bay.”
    What is so lucky about spending two years in Minnesota? Oh yeah, nothing.
    RIP. Nick Rogers.

34. Johnnyb612 says: May 4, 2010 4:18 PM

Chickenfagpartdeaux,
    I think your the one withe the problem. Why try to twist something into something it’s not? Typical of your breed I guess.(losers)

35. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: May 4, 2010 4:22 PM

You’re never too old to live
    or too young to die.
    He gave up the ghost.
    Brett Favre shall avenge him

36. clemenza says: May 4, 2010 4:34 PM

what difference does it make who he played for, he played 4 years in a game that we all watch all day every Sunday of the NFL season…..RIP and thanks for entertaining us for four years in the game we all love

37. bonecity7 says: May 4, 2010 9:24 PM

JimmySmith says:
    May 4, 2010 4:03 PM
    Smitty,
    No one will be at your funeral…..even your relatives think you’re an idiot!! Wait a minute….I’ll attend, if only to shake your lifeless body to make sure you’re really dead!!!
    Hope this helps!!!

38. chickenragnarpartdeux says: May 4, 2010 10:46 PM

Johnnyb612 says:
    May 4, 2010 4:18 PM
    Chickenfagpartdeaux,
    ============================
    Nothing was twisted you douche. it was an idiotic thing for you to type.

39. cantonfroggy says: May 5, 2010 10:41 AM

Johnnyb – you think he wasted two years playing for the Vikings? Big deal – I think he wasted 4 years playing at Ga Tech. Thanks for stealing our helmet log you Packer jackoff.
    Irrespective of his team allegiances, this is a horrible story. I send my condolences to his family and friends.
    Go Dawgs.

40. packers4life says: May 5, 2010 3:28 PM

“Thanks for stealing our helmet log you Packer jackoff.”
    Your kidding, right? The Packers first used the logo in 1961, three years before Georgia ever used it.

41. chickenragnarpartdeux says: May 5, 2010 4:33 PM

packers4life says:
    May 5, 2010 3:28 PM
    “Thanks for stealing our helmet log you Packer jackoff.”
    ===========================
    I can’t believe either of you are proud of that God awful looking helmet.
    No matter the color scheme, it still radiates gayness.

42. Silent Ninja says: May 8, 2010 9:43 AM

I love how Florio posted this story in the packer section but used a picture of him in a Vikings uniform to rub it in your idiot faces. And he was only married for one month?? I smell insurance fraud