Thomas Davis is willing to wait for a contract

Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis, a restricted free agent, wants a long-term deal.  But he realizes that the current labor climate makes that unlikely.

The fact that he’s still coming back from a torn ACL is a factor, too.

So Davis will wait.  “I feel like it’s something that happens down the road,” Davis told Charles Chandler of the Charlotte Observer.  “I’m definitely looking to finish my career here and [am] very
excited about the possibility.  I’ve just got to line up and
play football and make this team want to sign me to a long-term deal.”

Toward that end, Davis showed up at the team’s weekend minicamp and practiced.

“I’ve been working hard; it’s been a grind, and it’s full-go right now,”
Davis said over the weekend.  “Well, not full-go, but I would say if the season started
next week, I would probably go.”

Though the flesh may still be weak, it’s no surprise that the spirit is willing.  The Panthers won’t even consider signing Davis to a long-term deal unless and until it’s clear that he can still play like he did before his ACL went snap, crackle, and/or pop.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Thomas Davis is willing to wait for a contract”
  1. Big cat Richardson says: May 4, 2010 8:25 AM

Sorry but we will not be able to sign Thomas Davis as our team is the only team in the NFL that has a salary cap. In fact , we will not even be able to sign any of our draft picks as well. If you are interested in playing in the NFL and you will play for free call 1-800-TIGTWAD

2. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: May 4, 2010 9:28 AM

The title of this article is inaccurate, he’s brimming with contempt and self-pity in paragraph 3 above: I,I,I, me,me me, “the other” TD sounds resigned to the financial ineptness of the powers that be. The almighty ESPN in their infinite wisdom has their power ranking at #18 but with the confidence they’ve shown in Matt Moore by drafting TWO qb’s that # will end up even lower by December. Sorry Pantherfan10 you are highly diluted.

3. 49erFanLivingInDallas says: May 4, 2010 10:03 AM

TD thinks that Patrick Willis and himself are 1 and 1a in terms of best MLB’s in the league AND he wants to get Patrick Willis type money. Someone should tell him that he’s nowhere NEAR the mlb that Willis is.

4. TheRoon says: May 4, 2010 10:08 AM

Thomas Davis is an example of why the Panthers dumped all the dead weight. We are saving money to give extensions to players like Richard Marshall, DeAngelo Williams, Thomas Davis, Jon Beason, and Ryan Kalil.
    We will keep Davis around for a while. If we are unable to sign him to a long-term deal, we will franchise him. Thomas Davis is the spitting image of Derrick Brooks and that is a great person to be linked to.

5. panther says: May 4, 2010 10:21 AM

# 49erFanLivingInDallas says: May 4, 2010 10:03 AM
    ______________________________________
    You mean Jon Beason who is the Panther’s MLB while TD is an outside LB?

6. panther says: May 4, 2010 10:28 AM

# 49erFanLivingInDallas says: May 4, 2010 10:03 AM
    _____________________________________
    Your correct though. TD is no where close to being a MLB like Willis since he is an OLB. Jon Beason though is a great MLB.

7. hemicharger says: May 4, 2010 10:31 AM

49erFanLivingInDallas,
    Sadly, you are showing your lack of overall knowledge. Thomas Davis has never said he and Patrick Willis are 1 and 1a. You have Thomas Davis confused with Jon Beason. And if you had ever watched Mr. Beason play you would understand why he says that.
    Secondly, Thomas Davis is a very good OLB not a MLB as you suggested. Just thought I would clear that up for you.

8. nick says: May 4, 2010 10:32 AM

@ 49erFanLivingInDallas: TD is a WLB, what are you talking about? lol.

9. Martin Keamy says: May 4, 2010 10:50 AM

@49erFanLivingInDallas
    I want to blow up on you too…
    Just incase you didnt know… Thomas Davis is an OLB. And Jon Beason is our MLB.
    P.S. Beason was complimenting Patrick Willis, not bringing him down.

10. 49erFanLivingInDallas says: May 4, 2010 10:58 AM

lol. I totally got confused, I don’t have an overall lack of knowledge it’s just way too early in the morning for me. I was reading a thread on outsiders a couple days ago and got TD and Beason confused (and yes, Beason has stated that he and willis are 1 and 1a, not confused at all on that). Thanks for clearing up my mistake. Sorry about that guys. Beason is a grat player and I’d love to see him making plays on my team, you guys are lucky to have him. Again, sorry about my confusion, didn’t mean to hurt anyones feelings.

11. SJPB8 says: May 4, 2010 11:08 AM

# 49erFanLivingInDallas says: May 4, 2010 10:03 AM
    ______________________________________
    I think you have Thomas Davis confused with Jon Beason.. Thomas Davis doesnt even play MLB he plays OLD.. Unlike San Fran we have more than one good LB..

12. JoeSchmoe says: May 4, 2010 11:31 AM

@TheRoon
    Spitting image of Derrick Brooks? Maybe he LOOKS like him, but he’s got a long way to go to get compared to him on a football field guy…

13. 49erFanLivingInDallas says: May 4, 2010 11:36 AM

@SJPB8
    Yeah, up until last year I was still holding out hope that Manny Lawson might play up to his potential… I was let down, obviously…

14. Hugh says: May 4, 2010 3:13 PM

SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says:
    May 4, 2010 9:28 AM
    ————————————————————————–
    Everytime you post you show your ignorance.
    Stick with what you know, homo. Stick with what you know. It’s sad you can’t see that your falcons will $ucka$$ again this year.

15. PDXPanther says: May 5, 2010 3:09 PM

Look at 49erFan running away with his tail between his legs.