Students at Lebanon Middle School were disappointed when they believed that a member of the Patriots would show up and work out with them on Tuesday.  As it turns out, the situation supposedly arose from a miscommunication between the school and the organizer of the event, the New England Dairy Council.

“Because of the wording from a [letter] we had sent out, someone at the school drew some false assumptions,” New England Dairy Council spokeswoman Jenny Bourbeau told Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald.  “That letter may have led someone to believe, without actually saying it, that [there would be Patriots].  But we never promised a player.”

If that’s true, the Patriots never promised to provide a player.

We’d love to see a copy of the letter in question, since that will help to shed light on whether the school simply made an assumption (reasonable or otherwise), or whether this is merely an effort to supply an after-the-fact excuse to a situation that quickly became a P.R. shibacle for the Pats.

For now, though, it appears that the Patriots never did — and never have — promised to provide players for these specific events.

UPDATE:  We’ve obtained the text of the standard e-mail sent by the New England Dairy Council.  “Students will move and groove to a variety of activities such as Pilates, kickboxing, dance, aerobics, mixed circuits and more!” the e-mail reads.  “All activities are led by celebrity coaches and appeal to kids of all skill levels.”  The term “celebrity coaches” implies that someone other than an intern will show up.  That said, the initial communication states that the celebrity coaches will be “onscreen.”  The easy fix would be to add “onscreen” to the e-mail.  The better fix would be to make it clear that no members of the team will be appearing in person.  Bottom line?  The Patriots bear no blame on this one.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
63 Responses to “Miscommunication created mistaken assumption that Pats player would appear at school”
  1. Rick says: May 5, 2010 11:21 PM

Bill Belichick is GOD!!!

2. Matt Walsh says: May 5, 2010 11:23 PM

The cheatriots “misinterpreted” the memo, just like Belicheat “misinterpreted” the rules.
    Sam lame excuse from a dirt bag franchise.

3. Bitter says: May 5, 2010 11:26 PM

Is it bad that I only come to these Pat’s threads to read what people say?

4. Doctor Connors says: May 5, 2010 11:26 PM

This cannot be! Of course it’s the Patriots fault that this happened! Quit making excuses for the Cheatriots Belicheat Camera Spygate Brady is Gay Left his pregnant girlfriend dates supermodels goat picture 18-1 didn’t show up against Ravens jatuwfjasdfjiasdifjajioaio
    The Patriots are the worst people to ever exist in the history of the universe! Of course they stood these poor kids up. They were too busy kicking kittens and mugging blind people! Belichick is the devil!
    - Signed, Jester or Rapistburger fan

5. mmcnulty says: May 5, 2010 11:27 PM

It’s pretty obvious this is the fault of someone at the school with a barely functioning brain. Someone who is also in the position to mold young minds.
    Not like it matters, most of the kids are stupid to.

6. hayward giablommi says: May 5, 2010 11:28 PM

The truth doesn’t matter, so why bother with facts. The PR damage is done and no matter of backtracking will calm the salivating, brainwashed masses clamoring for a fresh reason to bury the Patriots.
    Without any further adieu, cue all the angry virgins and faux outrage.

7. bigbolt says: May 5, 2010 11:29 PM

Uhhhh….who cares

8. JaggedMark says: May 5, 2010 11:34 PM

If you guys were as good as TMZ you would have posted a visual of the letter hours ago.
    Nonetheless, you are pretty good.

9. NoKoolaidCowboy says: May 5, 2010 11:36 PM

Have to see that letter. How the hell does someone misunderstand something like that?

10. MooninLambeau says: May 5, 2010 11:38 PM

Got Milk?

11. Reggie'sBush says: May 5, 2010 11:39 PM

Who gives a flying fart?
    The teacher was an idiot, like most middle school teachers. Not to sound like a grumpy old man, but I never saw any celebs visit me in any grade and I turned out fine.
    Mr. Florio…
    “But we never promised a player.’
    If that’s true, the Patriots never promised to provide a player.”
    Nice work there Nancy Drew, I would have never figured that out.

12. Deb says: May 5, 2010 11:42 PM

Good grief, Mike, don’t you think it was pretty obvious all along this was a corporate screwup that didn’t have anything to do with the team? But I still think Mr. Kraft will do something nice for the kids to make up for the misunderstanding.
    Even though you were GASP! making a mountain out of a molehill, it was stunning to learn how many of the most abusive trolls on the Steeler threads are Pats fans. There’s no reason for me to rag on New England. They’re not a rival or in my division so they’re not important to me. That’s why I don’t understand the irrational obsession so many Pats fans have for the Steelers. Like I said, they must not consider their team very significant in NFL history. If they did, they wouldn’t be so hyper-focused on ours. Wierd.

13. ItalianArmyGuy says: May 5, 2010 11:48 PM

@Florio – you’ll never see the letter. Goodell has already destroyed it – lest some other elementary school see it and “gain a competitive advantage”

14. LudaChris says: May 6, 2010 12:02 AM

Florio’s disappointed, he wanted to watch the kids workout from the back of his van

15. PFTiswhatitis says: May 6, 2010 12:07 AM

Deb says: blah blah blah I love the steelers blah blah blah Steelers blah blah

16. M3ratter says: May 6, 2010 12:09 AM

I think Tom Brady should man up and pay the children a visit, and then the Patriots organization should man up and give the intern they sent a full time job because after this miscommunication, every child in the area is going to be disappointed whenever they see him. That has to be tough on him, mentally.

17. spudz says: May 6, 2010 12:10 AM

The only people that I have seen displaying any sort of obsession on this site is….
    Matt “I dont have a tool, I am a tool” Walsh
    and
    Italian “we have an army?” Guy

18. Dont Taze Me Bro says: May 6, 2010 12:22 AM

The letter is safely filed in Goodell’s fireplace next to the spygate tapes.

19. Jamarcus says: May 6, 2010 12:25 AM

Drew Bledsoe wasn’t available?

20. ericthred says: May 6, 2010 12:26 AM

italianarmyguy,as a pats fan that was still a good one

21. Deb says: May 6, 2010 12:31 AM

PFTiswhatitis … so another cockroach scurries into the light. Gee, what a surprise.

22. Cylon_Detector says: May 6, 2010 12:33 AM

Hopefully our QB doesn’t turn out to be a turd for the ages who thinks verbally degrading pregnant women ‘fun’.
    Oh, to be a Squealers fan.

23. Kate773 says: May 6, 2010 12:39 AM

Matt Walsh says:
    May 5, 2010 11:23 PM
    Sam lame excuse from a dirt bag franchise.
    *****************************
    Holy crap, you are a completely stupid person. The SCHOOL misinterpreted the letter, not the Patriots. Read the post again, idiot. Didn’t the prison school you attended teach you reading comprehension? You really need help. From what I see, you do nothing but scan this site for anything Patriots related so you can post some disparaging comment. You are a little, little person. I hope to God you’re sterile.

24. Deb says: May 6, 2010 12:43 AM

@spudz …
    You should get around the site more.
    @hayward giablommi …
    You have a persecution complex.
    @Deb …
    You misspelled “weird.” Now you have to stop rolling your eyes at the graphics people on American Idol for misspelling “judgment.”

25. Sourdough says: May 6, 2010 12:44 AM

Deb: “Even though you were GASP! making a mountain out of a molehill, it was stunning to learn how many of the most abusive trolls on the Steeler threads are Pats fans.”
    Agreed.
    joetoronto

26. CheersAdam says: May 6, 2010 12:44 AM

I’d like to see the pats step up for some middle school kids and send a high profile player there as a gesture to the community.

27. ethan robert says: May 6, 2010 12:45 AM

Pats are going to send Pat Patriot over to the school if he can get a day pass. It’s not sure if he will be wearing the full mascot outfit, or maybe just prison issue orange with an old helmet on.

28. 1up says: May 6, 2010 1:44 AM

troll on troll hate……nothing better

29. Steelbreeze says: May 6, 2010 3:26 AM

You know, I love my Patriots… but I can just imagine B.B. himself showing up at this thing and just making all the kids cry.

30. Tim says: May 6, 2010 3:27 AM

wow, now their is two posts on this stupid story?

31. AxlTCU says: May 6, 2010 4:56 AM

32. smashmouthd says: May 6, 2010 6:55 AM

Deb says:
    —————————————————-
    Strange, I don’t recall ever giving a crap about the Steelers, the only times the Patriots have faced them this past decade in the playoffs they mopped the floor with them… so I don’t understand why any Patriots fan would bother with them… and I don’t know why you bother bringing them up in a thread such as this.
    Other than trashing Big Ben right now for either being a total PoS human, or being a person with trauma to the brain so severe its effected his personality and he should never play football again due to the risk of injury worsening the damage… take your pick.

33. TJ says: May 6, 2010 7:21 AM

Just make Tebow the ambassader of the NFL and send him to all events regardless of team.

34. ampats says: May 6, 2010 7:58 AM

Deb,
    For someone who “claims” they rarely post on Pats articles and attacks anyone who says something about your social malcontent leader #7, you posted 6 comments on the previous article attacking anyone who made a comment about your precious Ben and now have posted twice here. Yes, I counted because of your statement how rarely you post on another team’s article.
    Its good reading while I sit here and drink my coffee but girl you are obessed whether you want to admit it or not.
    Accept the fact that there are many idiots that will post negativity about anothers team because with all your mea culpa Ben posts, your views continue to get attacked but more disappointing you seem to have gone on the attack with these morons.
    My comment below was just a back handed joke.
    Face the fact, your Ben has some severe emotional and psychological problems whether he did what was accussed or not.

35. GirthyOne says: May 6, 2010 8:04 AM

So the Patriots used some creative wording to imply that a coach/player would show up as a reward to the kids for participating.
    I am totally shocked. Wait, no I am not. Par for the course from the organization that provides the most fake image in football.
    Cheat, Lie and I wonder what their stealing. Oh, in this case, children’s dreams.
    (yes, very harsh)

36. clubfoot says: May 6, 2010 8:32 AM

I find it interesting that M Smith wrote the first article and Florio had to follow up with his apologist article. Boot licker!

37. The Real Shuxion says: May 6, 2010 8:32 AM

They should invite the kids to training camp (Obviously it is after school ends but they can have the kids meet at the school and bus them to Gillette) and give them a jersey of a random player, provide them with hotdogs and a beverage and for the kid who did the best, let him walk on the practice field.

38. barnj37 says: May 6, 2010 8:34 AM

Obama just blamed Bush for this in a press conference this morning.

39. Ralphie says: May 6, 2010 8:39 AM

Matt Walsh says:
    May 5, 2010 11:23 PM
    Sam lame excuse from a dirt bag franchise.
    _____________________________________________
    Matt Walsh, the loud mouth, turd burglar Jets fanboy speaks again.
    Q: Matt, what’s the difference between you, the Long Island Jest fan and a typical Giants fans?
    A: You have to make under $10K a year to be a Jets fan (and have an extra 21st chromosome).
    I’m sure your shift at Micky D’s is getting over soon and you’ll be able to get down to the public library to post more often. I’ll have fries with that by the way douchebag.

40. smilergrogan says: May 6, 2010 8:48 AM

it would have taken less time to call the school and send a celebrity coach: belichick, to the school for an hour on a slow day than it did to send the flack out to parse words. seems like a pretty bush move to me.

41. smilergrogan says: May 6, 2010 8:49 AM

42. mackenzie1983 says: May 6, 2010 8:56 AM

AxlTCU says: just more fuel to the pats hate machine. hate towards the pats is so old and tired now. they had their best season ever AFTER they got caught. its just jealousy now
    ———————————————
    Give me a damn freaking break. jealousy? Let me first get this out now before somone from New England decides to shoot me down for being a fan of the bills. Yes they didnt win a single super bowl but they also played by the rules and never video taped outside the rules like BB did to win one. I hated the cowboys for a long time but now come to respect them. The patriots? HELL NO. During the 2007 you guys did have a good year but started to fade at the end. Week 17 against the giants proved it. Super Bowl XLII proved it. You do not have any class when you dont know what the hell you talking about.

43. eljay2 says: May 6, 2010 9:00 AM

MATT WALSH………………your garbage posts a getting real old………………..actually rancid. Do you see yourself moving out of mommies basement anytime soon??

44. overkil2 says: May 6, 2010 9:04 AM

“mmcnulty says:
    May 5, 2010 11:27 PM
    Not like it matters, most of the kids are stupid to.

Probably a Raiders’ fan.

45. It puts the lotion on the skin says: May 6, 2010 9:05 AM

Deb says: May 5, 2010 11:42 PM
    ___________________________________
    You make great point Deb, but its a 2 way street. No fan base in the NFL, is as obsessed with Spygate/Belicheat/etc as the Steelers fans, so saying “they must not consider their team very significant in NFL history. If they did, they wouldn’t be so hyper-focused on ours” also applies to the Steelers fans that fill up every message board that mentions the word Patriots…..not disagreeing with your point, just another example of a Steelers fan seeing everything through black and gold glasses

46. JimmySmith says: May 6, 2010 9:06 AM

47. EverybodyGotAIDS says: May 6, 2010 9:26 AM

Teacher: “Sorry kids…the Patriots players won’t be showing up today”
    Kids: “Awwwww”
    Teacher: “But we did get the ENTIRE NEW YORK JETS TEAM!!!”
    Kids: “Awwwww”
    Voice in Back: “You suck!”

48. JoeSixPack says: May 6, 2010 9:27 AM

Shame on those who ever doubted Belichick and the Patriots.
    Belichick can speak French… In Russian.
    Belichick can hear sign language.
    Belichick can make apple juice with oranges.
    There are no automatic doors. Merely doors that have mistaken you for Belichick.
    Belichick doesn’t need a watch. He decides what time it is.
    Belichick can kill two stones with one bird.
    Bill Gates lives in constant fear that Belichick’ PC will crash.
    The saddest moment for a young New York Jets fan is not when he learns Santa Claus isn’t real, it’s when he learns Belichick is.

49. GRpatriot says: May 6, 2010 9:31 AM

Matt, why did you put razor blades in your bed in college? Oh, I forgot you didn’t want your room-mate doing the nasty in your bed…
    How’s the Golf game?

50. Bdrunk says: May 6, 2010 9:38 AM

JimmySmith says:
    May 6, 2010 9:06 AM
    “Why not send them a “19-0″ tee shirt, its not fair that only kids from Africa get to wear them. ”
    ——————
    NICE!
    I’m appalled that this is even a discussion. Can’t stand the P*ts, but geez let’s find better reasons to bag on them than this. Eventually their dark side will be exposed, as it does for all teams.

51. Iā™„Patriots says: May 6, 2010 9:41 AM

# GirthyOne says: May 6, 2010 8:04 AM
    (yes, very harsh)
    The Pats did not write the letter or misinterpret it. If you actually read the article you would know that. The New England Dairy Council wrote the letter, the school misinterpreted it. Don’t post on something unless you have read more than the headline.

52. Bdrunk says: May 6, 2010 9:43 AM

A friend of mine that knows someone in the Boise, ID area says that Tom n’ Giselle like to bathe in the tears of children, and they were running out so BB went out and got em some.

53. BenRoethlisburger says: May 6, 2010 9:47 AM

# PFTiswhatitis says: May 6, 2010 12:07 AM
    “Deb says: blah blah blah I love the steelers blah blah blah Steelers blah blah”
    PFTiswhatitis says: nothing noteworthy, as usual.

54. ampats says: May 6, 2010 9:51 AM

I don’t agree with most of your posts JimmySmith but that one made me laugh.

55. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: May 6, 2010 9:55 AM

Matt Walsh and ItalianArmyGuy are still looking for a Lucky Pierre. Preferably an uncircumsized Polynesian with powerful hands.
    FYI: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lucky+pierre

56. TheWizard says: May 6, 2010 9:57 AM

Get the John Deere out of the rafters and send them the snow plow guy from 82, and tell em to shut up.

57. Chiefs2010 says: May 6, 2010 10:12 AM

Who cares, the brats should be reading books or hammering away on a computer, not waiting for overpaid athletes to show them how to do a pushup.
    You think young Indian and Chinese kids are meeting athletes during a school day? No.
    We overemphasize athletics in school, and unermphasize education.
    “The bums lost, my condolences.”
    “Do what your parents did, get a job sir..”

58. NinersRule! says: May 6, 2010 10:18 AM

Wont somebody please think of the children

59. Deb says: May 6, 2010 11:19 AM

@smashmouthd …
    Wasn’t sure if you were the right “smashmouthd” (smashmouthed?) because of the way your name is spelled. But if you are one of the Pats fans obsessing on the Ben threads, just own it and quit being silly.
    @ampats …
    Of course I’m fixated on the Steelers threads. I’m a Steelers fan! As for the Pats threads, the irony is that, despite my dislike of the team, the only things I’ve posted on their boards before this have been positive. It irritates me when Florio makes mountains out of molehills like he did w/this story. If you’d been paying attention, you’d know I’ve called Ben all kinds of jackass from the get-go. My only argument is that the jackass didn’t rape anyone. No matter how appalled you are by people’s personal lifestyles, you can’t just convict them without evidence. And it’s not either/or. I’m equally appalled by the accusers. EVERYBODY needs major therapy.
    @It puts lotion on the skin …
    Actually, I wasn’t looking through black and gold glasses. I didn’t know the Steelers fans were the most aggressive on Spygate, etc., because I wasn’t trolling your threads on those issues. I agree w/Cowher. It’s silly. You should be pissed at BB for ignoring the league’s edict and putting the team in the position of being accused … the same way I’m pissed at Ben for acting like an IDIOT and putting himself in the position of being accused. But those tapes are no more responsible for your Super Bowls wins than Ben is responsible for raping anyone and people need to shut up about it.

60. Gelardia says: May 6, 2010 1:24 PM

No slogan: “Got Pats? No.”

61. FireJerryJones says: May 6, 2010 2:41 PM

Former Belichick disciple Lawrence Taylor was supposed to show up, but was otherwise detained.
    No 15 year old girls were injured in the production of this event.

62. bigstorm says: May 6, 2010 11:25 PM

Next you’ll be telling me that Tom Brady dumped his girlfriend in mid-pregnancy…..
    Oh, right.
    Forget it.

63. biggregmoney says: May 9, 2010 11:51 PM

Deb
    The Pats have no bearing on your team because they’re not in the same division?
    Um. Didn’t we beat your team TWICE in the AFC Championship in Pittsburgh both times? Or did you forget this fact like every other fact?