Steven Jackson undergoes back surgery

S. Jackson.jpgThe Rams want you to know that the back surgery he underwent in April to repair a herniated disc in his back is really not much of a story.

“It was a minor procedure,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.  “He feels great. It’s really not a big deal.”

Jackson will sit out the upcoming round of OTAs and could possibly miss practice until training camp.  We’re not medical experts, but we’re going to have to side with SI’s Ross Tucker take on the issue.

“No back surgery is ‘minor’ in my experience,” Tucker wrote.

Kenneth Darby and Chris Ogbonnaya are the only veterans behind Jackson on the roster.  Look for that to change in the coming weeks.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Steven Jackson undergoes back surgery”
  1. The Real Shuxion says: May 5, 2010 9:49 AM

Steven Jackson undergoes back surgery
    ——————————————————
    Back surgery is always fun.

2. Nevisyakker says: May 5, 2010 9:50 AM

Carrying the entire franchise on his back for 3 years must have finally gotten to him.
    He’s one of the great ones and I hope they are right and this isn’t going to be a problem.

3. allday28 says: May 5, 2010 9:50 AM

My back wold hurt too, if I had to carry a whole team

4. Philly Cheese says: May 5, 2010 9:53 AM

Should have drafted Teblow, I hear he can play all of the positions at the same time and then takes the team out for Slurpees after the game.

5. SATAN567 says: May 5, 2010 9:55 AM

S-Jax just dropped from 2 to 10 or so on the fantasy RB depth chart.

6. Benjamin C Klein says: May 5, 2010 9:56 AM

Poor Jackson, If Bradford becomes an elite QB and the team is a contender it will probably be when Jackson is 30, and useless to the team.

7. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: May 5, 2010 9:59 AM

They should have traded him when they had the chance.

8. Levito says: May 5, 2010 10:07 AM

Doctor says I need a backiotomy!

9. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: May 5, 2010 10:07 AM

Dude is a BEAST. Such a shame he got stuck on the Rams.

10. Otis Taylor 89 says: May 5, 2010 10:14 AM

You know what they say about minor surgery – it’s surgery on somebody else.

11. EverybodyGotAIDS says: May 5, 2010 10:19 AM

Bah, there goes the Rams’ superbowl chances.

12. bbeer says: May 5, 2010 10:25 AM

let the carry the team jokes fly.
    on a serious note, it must be from literally carrying the team. Alex Barron and Incognito must suck to have on your back at the same time. The rams suck
    Sincerely,
    A rams fan

13. habibfromnewdehli says: May 5, 2010 10:31 AM

SATAN567 says: May 5, 2010 9:55 AM
    S-Jax just dropped from 2 to 10 or so on the fantasy RB depth chart.
    ——————————————
    If Stephen Jackson was the number 2 running back on your fantasy football depth chart…
    I would love to play in your league this year. Sounds like an easy championship. :o)

14. buckifan4life says: May 5, 2010 10:44 AM

Back surgery is almost NEVER minor. Anytime you surgically alter disc tissue, it is not as strong as it waqs before. Typically that is done to try and get the disc material off the exiting nerve root in order to relieve a “pinched” nerve. There is limited blood supply to heal (scar) the disc wall post-surgery and the pounding an NFL player (especially a RB) takes on the field will expose any weak link. Sorry to hear he is having difficulty with his back. UGH.
    Disclaimer: I’ve had two similar surgeries and have had to learn a lot about the spine.

15. TheRedBengal says: May 5, 2010 11:06 AM

Ah yes, surgery on your spinal cord. That’s just minor right? It is minor surgery for someone sits at a desk for a living, but NOT for someone who gets pounded 300 + times a year by 250-300lb behemoths. I highly doubt that is the only disc herniation he’s going to deal with.
    This goes back to Rob Gronkowski. The guy was said to have spinal stenosis. That is something people get in the 60s and 70s, not early 20s. Enjoy your damaged goods Hoodie

16. Snuff Smith says: May 5, 2010 11:25 AM

So the Westbrook to Rams story had some merit afterall.

17. brownsfn says: May 5, 2010 12:58 PM

I had “minor” back surgery…ask me how it turned out…

18. KingJoe! says: May 5, 2010 1:12 PM

No back surgery is ‘minor’ in my experience,” Tucker wrote”
    So this Tucker fella, what he is some kind of genius?

19. War_Paint says: May 5, 2010 1:29 PM

Buckifan is right, there is no such thing as minor back surgery. I’ve had a few procedures done and it’s no picnic.

20. Abe Froeman says: May 5, 2010 1:39 PM

As someone who has had multiple surgeries, let me say this:
    Minor surgery is surgery on someone else.

21. KT22 says: May 5, 2010 1:53 PM

I had the same surgery 15 months ago from one of the best doctors in the bay area. Let me tell you this changes your life forever! I feel for the guy and wish him the best but he is in trouble.

22. gooboy6 says: May 5, 2010 8:43 PM

he’ll never be the same

23. dragonrider2300 says: May 6, 2010 10:55 PM

Certainly sounds more serious than the Rams make it out to be. Jackson has been injury prone, largely because the Rams have sucked and the other RBs on the roster would be saying ‘would you like fries with that’ if they were not wearing a Rams jersey. This may be the beginning of the end of Jackson, though I hope he recovers and hope he has a backup running back appear from the mystic vortex to give him some rest for 10-12 carries a game. Hopefully he won’t pull a Shaun Alexander.