Clinton Portis takes aim at LaVar Arrington

Earlier this year, a dust-up between Redskins running back Clinton Portis and former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington (whom we know, respect, and like) resulted in a stirring on-air rebuke from Arrington, which left a permanent lump on my skull from where I tried to run through a wall.

In an interview with the station for which Arrington now works — 106.7 The Fan in D.C. — Portis takes aim at Arrington for allegedly embellishing his relationship with the late Sean Taylor when eulogizing Taylor.

“I lost a lot of respect for LaVar at that moment, speaking at Sean’s funeral,” Portis told Chris Russell of 106.7 The Fan.  “To get up, I really thought that was . . . I don’t know what you call that.  LaVar ain’t know Sean like that. . . .  I remember me and Sean was going to jump LaVar, you know, for throwing pie at Sean’s face his rookie year, and trying to haze Sean, and be the tough guy.  He felt like it was a joke. We didn’t like that sh-t.  For all the attention LaVar claim, and that him and Sean was cool — they wasn’t cool. . . .  Sometime, people should stop. . . .  I don’t think you should do that.  If you cool with somebody, or you know somebody, you knew ‘em.  Don’t go and portray, set out an image like ‘this is your buddy, this is your pal’ like you all hung, when y’all really didn’t.  I don’t think that’s fair man.”

A listener told us that the Junkies played portions of Portis’ remarks on the air this morning, and they said that Arrington will be responding during his show that begins at 2:00 p.m. ET.

Meanwhile, I’m going to install a seat belt in my official PFT work chair, lest I try to run through the wall, again, when I hear what LaVar has to say.

Permalink 133 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
133 Responses to “Clinton Portis takes aim at LaVar Arrington”
  1. The Real Shuxion says: May 6, 2010 8:46 AM

——————————————————
    That University of Miami education is really paying off for him.
    Oh what am I talking crap for, the guy makes more in a year than I will make in 10 years.

2. BIG_DEE says: May 6, 2010 8:48 AM

Are these two Lovers? They keep going back and fourth…Who cares about his relationship with Taylor. Being cool is not saying you are the best of friends. In addition there are always people who think they they are cool with someone and the other person dislikes them

3. wkedklwnz says: May 6, 2010 8:48 AM

“LaVar ain’t know Sean like that” – so glad the education system works in this country for the football players not against them.

4. DonTerrelli says: May 6, 2010 8:49 AM

Clinton ain’t talk English too good

5. no14mike says: May 6, 2010 8:53 AM

The LaVar Arrington show with Chad Dukes starts at 2 pm, not 3 pm.

6. Skinsfan23 says: May 6, 2010 8:53 AM

Clinton is a bitch. I heard the interview this morning and the junkies said it best. Cakes said “clinton doesnt own exclusive rights to mourn seans death” alot of people including myself were hurt to hear that sean passed and I will never forget that morning when I heard the news. But this conflict is deeper than just an issue with sean, and Lavar and Clinton need to squash it…because this is little girl shit. I would love to see a street fight between the two…or I would pay to see a boxing match too.

7. Profanity in ALL CAPS says: May 6, 2010 8:54 AM

so that’s how you respond when a guy raises his voice? what a pansy.

8. Ricken says: May 6, 2010 8:54 AM

Clinton obviously majored in Ebonics @ the U

9. TC says: May 6, 2010 8:55 AM

The fact that you think so highly of Arrington says more about you than you realize.
    You respect him because it’s convenient or because you really are just a superficial lightweight who only likes the NFL so he can talk about the gossip.

10. mustbechris says: May 6, 2010 8:55 AM

lavar is gonna merk him

11. GoLions says: May 6, 2010 8:55 AM

You should have to have an IQ higher than Forrest Gump’s in order to speak on the radio.
    I can’t even understand what he’s talking about… Anyone speak gibberish?

12. tadkins81 says: May 6, 2010 8:57 AM

13. Omega says: May 6, 2010 8:57 AM

To jump on a guy because he said some nice things about the departed at a funeral is, well, amazing.
    I guess that a key point will be did the family ask Lavar to speak or did he offer? If the family requested an eulogy then Lavar had little choice. And if you agree to speak then clearly you are going to focus on the positives, the humorous, and the memories.

14. Big J says: May 6, 2010 8:58 AM

Stay tuned for the next segment of the battle of two idiots.

15. mama tried says: May 6, 2010 9:00 AM

“LaVar ain’t know Sean like that. . . . I remember me and Sean was going to jump LaVar, you know, for throwing pie at Sean’s face his rookie year, and trying to haze Sean, and be the tough guy. He felt like it was a joke. We didn’t like that sh-t. For all the attention LaVar claim, and that him and Sean was cool — they wasn’t cool. . . . ”
    Looks like clinton has a career in tv/radio after nfl, ala Emmitt smith -

16. sevenwords says: May 6, 2010 9:01 AM

I think it should be mandatory to speak correct English when giving an interview.

17. Junior says: May 6, 2010 9:01 AM

Well excuse Arrington for trying to show some respect to a former teammate who was murdered. We all know that if you don’t get along with somebody you shouldn’t show any respect at their funeral.
    Stay classy Portis.

18. mooremi9 says: May 6, 2010 9:02 AM

My brain hurts from reading that.
    You need to be a code specialist to decipher that paragraph.
    Im sure LaVar will reply with something really edjibicated.
    What a bunch of clown shoes!

19. BenRoethlisburger says: May 6, 2010 9:03 AM

Sorry Clinton, but I didn’t do well in Ebonics.

20. kappa08 says: May 6, 2010 9:03 AM

sorry dude you lost me at..”ain’t know Sean like that”.
    look I’m pretty liberal when it comes to people being who they are…but stupid is a show stopper for me…just sayin

21. cbrianwatkins says: May 6, 2010 9:04 AM

I would like to think that when these personnel people do their interviews at the combine, that not only do they take into account if one’s mother is a hooker, father a pimp, or best friend a drug dealer, that they also take into account ones education …….or lack thereof

22. Dolphinfanuk says: May 6, 2010 9:06 AM

Why didn’t Clinton come out with all this back in Feb when LaVar ripped him?

23. bigbillnocmd says: May 6, 2010 9:08 AM

I thought it was really odd when Lavar spoke too. I remember his suit hanging off him like it was on a clothes line. he looked fragile, small and odd talking at that funeral. It just didnt feel right.
    If dude just would have picked up a playbook and studied he would have been a Redskin great (did peirce say that?). Instead he is known for one pick against Carolina and obvioulsy sending Aikman to the sideline for good. They both need to move on. CP is doing all the right things right now. Unforunetly he keeps bringing up Lavar.
    Lets get get some gloves on these guys. Could be a great charity event. i would def pay to see that!
    and its kinton not clinton.
    HAIL SUCKA!

24. bdinphoenix says: May 6, 2010 9:10 AM

Clinton Portis always has something to say, most of it ignorant and barely understandable. These latest comments are no exception. Football fans look forward to the day when the only time we will see his name in the news is in a police report or bankruptcy court.

25. ham1 says: May 6, 2010 9:13 AM

He should run the ball like he runs his mouth;
    all the time and with complete abandon

26. It puts the lotion on the skin says: May 6, 2010 9:14 AM

Can anyone in here, translate what Portis said?? I never went to college, so I can only assume that the U, somehow un-educates its students body…. Because there is no way that anybody could have been that dumb before they were accepted into the school……

27. Get A Job says: May 6, 2010 9:14 AM

Pockets Straight!

28. RayLewisKillsPeople says: May 6, 2010 9:14 AM

glad to hear Clinton has mastered ebonics.

29. LionsFan-StopLaughing says: May 6, 2010 9:17 AM

I am really confused as to Florio’s comments about running through a wall. Seriously, what are you talking about? I don’t understand the allusion.

30. RayDaMayor says: May 6, 2010 9:19 AM

I be no way can figer out what homey be saying in dis rant bout Lavar. He be ignit and should shut he’s piehole.
    (educated 3rd grade dropout)

31. Black QB White RB says: May 6, 2010 9:19 AM

I thought exactly what Portis is saying when I watched that eulogy- Arrington was already out of DC, didn’t play on the same team that long at all, and it did seem a bit over the top to me…I just said it a little more clearly than Portis did……………

32. blmonroe12 says: May 6, 2010 9:21 AM

I used to take verbal jabs at a friend of mine a few years ago.. Laid back guy, just kinda rolled with it.. One day he looked at me and said “Don’t poke the bear” with a look on his face that let me know he had enough.. I haven’t taken a shot at him since..
    My advice to Portis – don’t poke this bear.. When Arrington bites back, he tears off chunks.. Just leave him be, you do not want to be on his radar, especially with the subpar production you’ve been putting up..
    This is his wheel-house Clinton, just pick up your ball and respectfully go home..

33. elwayisgod says: May 6, 2010 9:22 AM

Glad the education system at The U is working!! What a fricking joke!!! This dumbass is f**ked after football is all i have to say!!!!!

34. MagicMan407 says: May 6, 2010 9:23 AM

here we go again; media causing more drama. Lavar is alway’s talking smack about everyone and fact is Portis was actually friends with Taylor, Lavar was nothing to Taylor. But, Lavar felt the need to go and try and be in the spot light at Taylor’s funeral. Lavar was open before hand on how he disliked Taylor I was wondering why he spoke at his funeral as well. I guess Portis could just say nothing when asked a direct question about the situation so the media could blow it up. The next thing will be a big rant by Lavar talking more smack to make a big deal for his talk show.

35. ignoringthehaters says: May 6, 2010 9:26 AM

big talk from a soon to be unemployed RB

36. DatSkinzDude78 says: May 6, 2010 9:27 AM

I love Portis as a player and respect what he does on the field but enough is enough. This is the NFL. You are paid to suit up and bring the noise each and every Sunday. If La’Var (who is my favorite Redskin of all time) feels he had a bound with Sean, then so be it. Can we just talk “FOOTBALL” and not personal relationships???

37. King Benny says: May 6, 2010 9:30 AM

I don’t know why you get so “jacked up” over Arrington’s comments. The guy was a star for merely a couple seasons and then fizzled out. He’s nothing more than a talker who has an inflated self-view of what is “mark”, if any was on the game and in the Skins organization. This guy acts and talks like a top 20 all-time NFL linebacker and he’s not.
    I heard all of Arrington’s rant that got you to “run through a wall” and it didn’t do anything for me and that’s because of the source it’s coming from. A guy like Arrington is all about himself and the way he’s viewed by others. I think Portis is a moron for the most part, but in this particular case I beleive this 100 percent, Arrington had a “stage” a “pulpit” and an opportunity to “perform” at Sean’s funeral and he took it, to better his own image.
    It seems you are a decent judge of character but the fact that you can’t see through Arrington’s schtick is rediculous.

38. Tim says: May 6, 2010 9:31 AM

Clitoris Portis just stop! He put you to shame on his show & now you’re really reaching. You sound like a nagging girlfriend that’s just trying way too hard to be right.

39. BugKiller says: May 6, 2010 9:32 AM

Damn!
    Clinton Portis done blowed up on LaVar Arrington!
    He gonna make Arrington debacled.
    *As read by Emmitt Smiff.

40. sdffa11 says: May 6, 2010 9:33 AM

“Sometime, people should stop.”
    youre right portis, how about you stop and shut the f@#% up for once?

41. Keyser Soze says: May 6, 2010 9:35 AM

Sean’s family asked Lavar to speak at his funeral!!!

42. purpleguy says: May 6, 2010 9:35 AM

There shouldn’t be too much controversy, as most people probably couldn’t even decipher what Portis was saying.

43. Flimflam1 says: May 6, 2010 9:36 AM

I’ve heard that Taylor’s and LaVar’s wives are friends and their children play together. If this is true, then Clinton is asking for trouble with this.

44. boleyn9 says: May 6, 2010 9:38 AM

It should be noted that Clinton didn’t just randomly bring up Arrington speaking at Taylor’s funeral. 106.7’s Chris Russell specifically asked about it and it really had nothing to do with the main context of the question, which dealt with the removal of Taylor’s locker from the locker room. Russell knew that this was a sore spot and Portis gave his honest answer. I think there is actual merit to what he is saying. The larger context of this all is Lavar is trying to portray himself as Mr. Redskin, when he isn’t.
    He may make Mike want to run through a wall with his pep talks but whatever Lavar says doesn’t negate that he was an overrated player and became a very selfish person when he wasn’t the crown jewel of the franchise. He openly bashes the organization for their poor personnel decision making, yet he also criticizes them for ditching the players that were part of those mistakes (Campbell, Betts, Cartwright, Randel El, etc.) He merely looks to stir the pot that he is no longer apart of.

45. Jagmankane says: May 6, 2010 9:38 AM

Translation.
    Blah blah blah, watch me ride the pine this season.

46. BottleKnockers says: May 6, 2010 9:38 AM

Chris Russell also works at the same station as Lavar, and earlier this month conducted an hour long video w/ Clinton.
    There are 3 videos total.
    After listening to the entire thing I’ve decided that Clinton “just doesn’t get it”

47. BRUTUS9448 says: May 6, 2010 9:40 AM

The NFL needs to have these guys pass an English 101 test before getting drafted.

48. taylor2136 says: May 6, 2010 9:40 AM

Ok anyone who is a Redskin fan and knows washed up Lavar knows he’s an A**H*** who has an ax to grind because his agent failed to make sure the (I)s were dotted and the (T)s were crossed, his show as with many on 106.7 the fan his crap listened maybe twice couldn’t take it too phony. And don’t get me wrong I was a big Lavar fan even have his 56 jersey and a hoody…but even I know all his anger and frustration and negativity belongs at his agents front door not with Snyder and the Skins.

49. WarLoxx says: May 6, 2010 9:40 AM

But then we realized that LaVar would beat the piss out of us so we didn’t.

50. Rob A says: May 6, 2010 9:42 AM

They don’t pay these guys to read books–but we know they paid Portis to get his heads smashed in by 11 defenders. Maybe they can do a story on how brain injuries effect public speaking.

51. coachoftheyear says: May 6, 2010 9:42 AM

This is Portis and LaVar making an agreement on the side so someone will actually list to LaVar’s terrible show. Poor Chad Dukes.

52. bills34 says: May 6, 2010 9:43 AM

@tadkings81
    “Anyone who lives in the DC area knows that Arrington and The Junkies both have awful shows. The only winner Snyder has in town is his radio stations, which blows 106.7 outta the water.
    So glad the Caps lost; if I had to listen to Lavar try to talk about hockey and interview mumbling Russians for another month I would have driven my car into oncoming traffic.”
    I TOTALLY AGREE…..I hate both of those shows… All Chad does is read this site and regurgitate what other people write as his own views. Lavar knows nothing about any other sport than football. Both of them think Lamar Odem is better than Pau Gasol. What a Joke!.. Lurch & B Mitch are alright and cakes isn’t bad. And when JP or EB do those Thomson Creek Windows commercials I want to blow up my radio.

53. jahbird says: May 6, 2010 9:43 AM

Ebonics was intended to be a system that used regional and cultural dialects to better teach standard written English. Hence, it was intended to help improve the transition between spoken language and written language, not the other way around.

54. dallascowboyssix says: May 6, 2010 9:43 AM

Junkies have the best show on the radio, regardless of city. They’re imperfect which makes them a perfect radio show. Idiot.

55. CTifer says: May 6, 2010 9:43 AM

Was this eulogy given yesterday? If not, why the hell is Portis bringing it up now?

56. Andyman says: May 6, 2010 9:44 AM

When is PFT going to post the English translation to this?

57. WarrenMoonGOAT says: May 6, 2010 9:44 AM

who cares how he said what he said, yall lames can still understand him, stop comin off like yall better then him

58. Philly Cheese says: May 6, 2010 9:47 AM

Well Mr. Portis, much the way you lost respect for Mr. Arrington, I have lost respect for you. Learn how to form a freakin sentence and have a little pride in yourself. Lazy, stupid, and ignorant will get you nowhere. And grow up while you’re at it, having an argument about who knew someone better is petty and juvenile. If you really have a problem with the man, drop the gloves and deal with it.

59. Opie says: May 6, 2010 9:48 AM

@ Florio:
    Does typing quotes from Portis make your fingers hurt as much as your head while you’re trying to figure out what he’s saying?!?
    I bet id dooo

60. Y2Cale says: May 6, 2010 9:50 AM

Portis is a moron, LaVar is a poser, Big Ben is a rapist, Favre is a liar, and Jamarcus is a compulsive eater. What a great cast for the next NFL reality show.
    ACTION!!!

61. jayare says: May 6, 2010 9:51 AM

Florio, since you didn’t [sic] Portis’ remarks, are we to assume that you applied some artistic license?

62. RWColeman says: May 6, 2010 9:51 AM

If everyone on the team was as eloquent as Portis, they probably didn’t mave many choicces as to who could speak.

63. Tampa Gator says: May 6, 2010 9:51 AM

This is so silly and predictable. Clinton attacks LaVar. LaVar responds and uses big words that cause Clinton’s mushmouthed brain to go numb for a few months before responding. Next thing you know, both guys will be throwing each other down while Ray Lewis swoops in to take credit for the tackle.

64. SpamRok says: May 6, 2010 9:52 AM

Who freaking cares how he speaks? If you can’t understand what he said, then perhaps you are the ones who lack basic mental comprehension, much less an education. Let’s be real, you losers don’t get laid so everything makes you so mad that just HAVE to hate everything.

65. ninjapleazee says: May 6, 2010 9:52 AM

I blame rap music

66. mjamescoon says: May 6, 2010 9:56 AM

these two are just awful.

67. GirthyOne says: May 6, 2010 9:56 AM

Well Clinton, your name came up for the Eulogy. The conversation might have went something like this:
    Jackie Garcia (Girlfriend): “What about asking one if his teammates, like Clinton Portis, to do the Eulogy? They were friends.”
    Pedro Taylor (Dad): “Yes, a teammate is a good idea. Clinton Portis though, no way. You ever hear that idiot speak? We are going to get a player that is intelligent and well spoken. Like say, LaVar Arrington.”
    Donna Junor (Mom): “Anyone who speaks poorly, isn’t speaking at my baby’s funeral! Get LaVar.”

68. Jintsbowl says: May 6, 2010 9:58 AM

you’re not aloud to mourn him because you weren’t as close to him as I was….hmmm, I sense some jealousy.

69. RIP__21 says: May 6, 2010 9:59 AM

The Real Shuxion says:
    May 6, 2010 8:46 AM
    ————————————————-
    That University of Miami education is really paying off for him.
    ————————————————-Try your entire lifetime, Portis clockin 6.5m this year.

70. buddha says: May 6, 2010 10:05 AM

First of all, 90% of you guys on here dont use proper english, so why do you want to get on Portis’ ass for talking the way he does. Its not like his profession requires him to speak properly. And 2nd, how would you guys feel if one of your friends passed away and some guy, who your deceased friend never liked, goes up and gives a fakes-ass eulogy acting like they’re best friends? That shit would piss me off too!

71. DCall says: May 6, 2010 10:07 AM

@tadkins81
    Your an idiot! 106.7 the fan Kicks Snyders stations rear all day. You can barely get signal of 94.3 or 92.7 next to the white house!!!! They call themselves the official redskins station however you cant hear them 10 miles from the stadium??? Anywhere on the mall? Dude, stop hating and switch to the Fan for unbiased reporting. Junks, Lavar and Dukes, Wise and Overtime are the best!

72. coxypoo says: May 6, 2010 10:09 AM

Is Portis a member of mensa? He must be.

73. Chiefs2010 says: May 6, 2010 10:09 AM

I really wish some of these guys would learn to speak and realize they may need the spokeh word for job interviews after football when their money drys up (a lot of these athletes eventually go bankrupt)

74. Chitown says: May 6, 2010 10:10 AM

Clinton better carry his papers when they play the Cardinals, he is brown and can’t speak English. He is going to get deported.

75. Omega says: May 6, 2010 10:13 AM

There are no defined rules for spoken language! Double negatives and aint’s are considered linguistically correct regardless of their written application. Clinton Portis is from Alabama, that is how people talk in the South. Therefore, he is speaking correctly according to his cultural context. All you haters who use colloquialism in your own daily speech (undoubtedly so, as there is no such thing as accent less or un-regionalized Amercian English) look like jackasses to the informed.”
    OK, so Clinton may not be able to control the way something comes out of his mouth. But he can control what comes out of his mouth.

76. shiftyshellshocked says: May 6, 2010 10:21 AM

My God was that horrible to read. That gangsta talk is getting so old. These numb heads need English classes.

77. kraftykid says: May 6, 2010 10:21 AM

Clinton – stop talking. No one can understand you so what is the point?

78. PortisPocketsSTR8 says: May 6, 2010 10:25 AM

Both of these guys need to chill out!!! There should be nothing like this going on around the Redskins…..the organization is finally taking the necessary steps to rebuild this franchise into what is used to be and should be!! We didn’t win anything with Lavar or Portis in uniform…..have a little respect for the game and franchise that made you who you are!!

79. 2Good says: May 6, 2010 10:32 AM

classic case of Redskins “she said”, “she said”

80. Austskate says: May 6, 2010 10:32 AM

I don’t get why Florio is running through the wall?

81. CleanSlaton says: May 6, 2010 10:34 AM

Let’s not focus on how poorly Clinton Portis publicly speaks, as such subtleties are often lost on those who lack the intelligence or self-awareness to understand. Is he as stupid as his speech would lead us to think? Probably not, but he didn’t do himself any favors here. I’m sure his response would’ve been MUCH better if it had been written instead of spoken, with punctuation , grammar, and spelling included…….right guys?
    Actually, the focus should be directed at how two washed-up has-beens are bringing everyone into their personal issue just because one of them has a radio show & the D.C. media’s bread and butter is ripping on the Redskins; Also, they’re shitting all over the memory of Sean Taylor. I wish his ghost could come back and scare the shit out of them. Man-up and shut up, girls.

82. yem123 says: May 6, 2010 10:35 AM

wow, with grammar like this, we may have found a replacement for Emmitt on ESPN!!!

83. MotorCityKitties says: May 6, 2010 10:38 AM

It seems like Clint’in aint hit dem books too much at da U but he sure did run good. Belied dat yo.
    Congratualations U of Miami graduates, you should be proud.

84. skinzfan81 says: May 6, 2010 10:39 AM

You guys can hate all you want about his slang. Here is my opinion. I am a die hard Redskins fan. I am not like many who call into 106.7 and agree with everything that Lavar says. The person that wrote this article felt that need to insert -Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington (whom we know, respect, and like) . I know that this isn’t exactly the Washington Post but I do believe that Clinton has some credibility here. only those 3 knew what their relationships were like. I am not sure why everyone is taking Lavar’s side on this. He has the pulpit where he can say whatever he wants about the Skins and players on a daily basis when he himself got upset with several reporters during his playing days.

85. Ray Guy says: May 6, 2010 10:41 AM

“jahbird says, Wow, some of you might want to do a little research on ebonics and linguistics before you make yourselves sound more bigoted than you really need to.”
    ____________________________________
    Nice try. It isn’t “racist” or “bigoted” to point out that someone is un(der)educated or stupid. The truth stands on its own merits.
    Stop making excuses for “dumbing down” the country.

86. jahbird says: May 6, 2010 10:56 AM

Philly Cheese, saying “speak like me” is just as prejudiced as saying “look like me.”
    The idea that English is taught the same across this land is laughable, I know this ’cause I’m about to pwn you on the subject.
    Maybe they should work on reading comprehension up there in the Philly school system. Revisit my comment and see if you can’t figure it out, but in case not, I’ll explain again.
    There is a vast separation between the written language (i.e. rules of grammar, syntax, sentence structure, etc…) and spoken language.
    That vast difference, is that one exists within a construct of rules, and the other exists outside them entirely.
    Simply put, success in spoken language is not reflective of education, intelligence, or any other measurable factor.
    It is reflective of culture, race, and region.
    These FACTS are true regardless of language. They are just as true for spanish and arabic as they are english.

87. marcelino says: May 6, 2010 10:58 AM

Portis is an ass-napkin…an embarrassment to everything he’s associated with. He wears his ignorance like a badge, see’s it as keeping it real..

88. ChargerDillon says: May 6, 2010 11:01 AM

Did Clinton Portis ever graduate from ANY SCHOOL?
    Can he read? Because he certainly can’t pronounce any word properly….
    Im just axeing a simple kestion

89. TheSleepness says: May 6, 2010 11:01 AM

allot of bitter people on here with a “great education” must be making peanuts.

90. Slow Joe says: May 6, 2010 11:02 AM

Remember when Arsenio Hall was mad because Keenan Ivory Wayans made fun of him for claiming he was Eddie Murphy’s best friend?
    This is like that, only with poorer grammar.

91. jahbird says: May 6, 2010 11:03 AM

Ray Guy,
    Spoken language is not an indication of intelligence. So you’re flat out wrong.

92. buddha says: May 6, 2010 11:05 AM

SHIFTTSHELLSHOCKED, I think you’re just butthurt because these “gangstas” are making waaaay more money than your ass is. HATER!

93. Drat says: May 6, 2010 11:07 AM

I wish it was possible to understand what Portis is saying. And you fools saying this is ebonics! It’s not ebonics. Ebonics makes sense. This is a privileged, elitist, millionaire whose head is full of pudding.

94. brasho says: May 6, 2010 11:18 AM

That figures that Portis’ punk-ass would plan on jumping Lavar with Taylor… it would take at least one more person for that punk, Portis, to stand a chance against most people.
    To make matters worse, this idiot wasn’t raised to speak like this… his father was Chief of Police of Dade Co. or something like that, his mom’s a lawyer or something like that, and he sounds like one of his stupid ghetto characters he portrays in interviews (Dollar Bill). His parents must be so proud of their retarded son.
    I think Lavar can still kick Portis’ ass… and so can B-Mitch.

95. brasho says: May 6, 2010 11:19 AM

OOps, wait, maybe Portis is a tard on his own, I just remembered, it was Taylor’s mom and dad that were in those positions.

96. Florio-is-a-tool says: May 6, 2010 11:20 AM

In a battle of words anyone competing against Portis should make it fair and type with their eyes closed or speak with a t-shirt in their mouth.
    He’s so inarticulate he makes Moses Malone sound like MLK. He should quit while he’s behind.

97. Chiefs2010 says: May 6, 2010 11:24 AM

this guy’s been in the ground for a while now, these classless thugs will argue over anything..
    get real, Clinton, and learn to speak

98. rusH1023 says: May 6, 2010 11:30 AM

wkedklwnz says:
    _______________________________________
    The saddest part is that kids try to EMULATE this bs. Look at some posts on this very site — it’s full of the same stuff.

99. Dapollock says: May 6, 2010 11:33 AM

Clinton isn’t exactly exhibit A when it comes to making English the national language.

100. Count Sacula says: May 6, 2010 11:35 AM

Wow, looks like I need to brush up on my Ebonese.
    Can Cracker Jack start putting English to Ebonese decoder rings in their boxes. This would help me tremendously.

101. Hail2theskinz47 says: May 6, 2010 11:35 AM

Actually Florio you should get your facts strait, the clip from the Chris Russell interview with Portis was actually played first last night around 1145 pm on Chris Russell’s own radio show on 106.7 the Fan and NOT this morning on the Junkies show, I heard it live when he played last night. Do a little more research and give credit where it is do.

102. jl says: May 6, 2010 11:38 AM

Do they teach English at the U?

103. Philly Cheese says: May 6, 2010 11:38 AM

Jahbird,
    If you want to defend the right to speak unintelligibly, then that is your right, have at it. There may not be rules in language, per se, but there are conclusions that can be drawn from the way one speaks. Show me one person of any intellectual accomplishment that speaks in the manner Portis does. Would you hire someone that speaks that way to represent your business? If he wants to speak that way with his family and friends in his community fine, I have no issue with it. But he was speaking on the radio to an audience in the nations capitol. You will never own me on anything and I am not willing to make concessions to accomodate people who are too damn lazy to make an effort to communicate properly so their intended audience can relate to them.

104. Ravens634 says: May 6, 2010 11:44 AM

LOL @ the redskins.

105. JackDCD says: May 6, 2010 11:46 AM

“La Var ain’t know Sean like that…” for God’s sake will someone in that organization order a CT Scan on this guy!

106. tadkins81 says: May 6, 2010 11:46 AM

@DCall
    I live in Columbia, MD and pick up 980am just fine. If anything the FM goes out a little more. Regardless, 106.7 is so lame. Another poster nailed it, all they do when they talk NFL is read off of this site. Lavar is the Golic of 106.7, any sport other than football he needs a producer to write him questions. In sports radio, you either need to be funny and entertaining or know a lot about sports, in my opinion the Junkies are neither. One of them argued that the Caps would struggle during the Olympics because so many of their players would be missing and they’d have to call up a bunch of minor leaguers for those games. The guy didn’t know the NHL stops during the Olympics. But DC is a BIG hockey town now, haha. What a joke.
    Czaban show from 4-7 on 980am is flawless. Great show.

107. EskinSux says: May 6, 2010 11:51 AM

Maybe it’s the fact he plays in DC. But, it seems to me that Portis is auditioning for the Poet Laureate position. It’s embarrassing to hear a grown man speak like that.

108. SamTheTram says: May 6, 2010 11:57 AM

What a damned embarassment.
    You’re a professional now. Please learn how to speak.

109. BDMurrayJr says: May 6, 2010 12:01 PM

LaVar disrespected Taylor when he was alive and then continued to disrespect him when he was dead.

110. buddha says: May 6, 2010 12:05 PM

Whats the F’n big deal?! Portis is a football player, not an english teacher. If you have a good mechanic and you find out that his grammar isnt the greatest, are you going to get rid of him because he’s not as educated as you would like him to be? Get over yourselves!

111. BearMan54 says: May 6, 2010 12:09 PM

Jahbird-
    “Saying CP doesnt speak like the rest of us, is retarded because the rest of us dont speak like the rest of us.”
    —————————-
    Annnnnddddd you’re out of credibility.
    As someone who speaks 3 languages, is a professional interpreter, and possesses an English degree, I can promise that just about everything you’ve said is flat out incorrect.
    As another poster commented: “stop making excuses for dumbing down the country”

112. BearMan54 says: May 6, 2010 12:15 PM

And I’ll say it:
    Sean Taylor had one excellent year and three solid years and passed away. Yes, it was a tragedy, but can we stop acting like he was Walter Payton?
    I get the sentiment that he was a good young player with tons of potential, but its not like he was John Riggins or something. I live in DC and people talk about the guy like he was a deity.

113. Rez Burna says: May 6, 2010 12:16 PM

I see this site is full of English majors who don’t make any grammatical errors what so ever. I myself use the “word” ain’t. I put word in parenthesis because it really isn’t one, just like y’all and you’s which people use in everyday speech all the time. (Y’all in the south and you’s on the East Coast.) I’m from the south, so I picture this part:
    “I remember me and Sean was going to jump LaVar.”
    Going more like:
    “I remember me an’ Sean was gone jump LaVar.”
    We have an accent to account for as well.
    Anyway, I don’t know much about the situation between him and LaVar, but it does seem deeper then the funeral incident.

114. Rez Burna says: May 6, 2010 12:20 PM

BearMan54 –
    I’m impressed by your accolades, but you flaunting them makes you seem quite arrogant and pompous. I’m a 19 year old black male and a sophomore in college. I too talk like Sean Taylor, but that does NOT mean he, nor I am uneducated. I always make an A in English. He’s speaking the way he’s comfortable speaking, and more then likely the way he was spoke to growing up.

115. Tampa Gator says: May 6, 2010 12:27 PM

116. d3murf says: May 6, 2010 12:28 PM

Man this site is full of a bunch of white bread bitches!! Funny how everyone here knows who Clinton Portis is, yet he doesn’t know any of you exist?!?! Combine every lames Bank Account on here, and Portis would still win in a game of Big Bank take little Bank….Worrying about how some multi-millionaire speaks, is a direct reflection on how people in society are not maximizing their own potential! Get a life–white boys!!

117. aDickRunsThisSite says: May 6, 2010 12:29 PM

im just glad donna shalala saw fit to remove ENGLISH from the curriculum at ‘the U’
    Clinton Portis exemplifies the image of Miami Hurricane former players as ignorant,classless and if it wasnt for football youd see him on the road wearing one of those striped shirts picking up trash for the county.
    Lavar is a POS as well but at least he has some clue as to the functionality of the english language unlike Clinton Portis.
    CP and garbage like him makes it hard to be a Redskins fan thats for sure.

118. ChargersRoll13209 says: May 6, 2010 12:39 PM

I know Illegal Immigrants who speak better English then Portis!!! We should make laws that allow the police to question a persons ability to speak correctly instead of their status. Alot of “Portis” types would be GONE!!!! Could you imagine???

119. SirSuperSouthern says: May 6, 2010 12:54 PM

The concussions really have taken a noticeable toll on CP…

120. shiftyshellshocked says: May 6, 2010 1:19 PM

Hey buddah, your talking pretty good! Your mama must have taught you right!

121. tberg says: May 6, 2010 1:24 PM

brasho says:
    May 6, 2010 11:18 AM
    I think Lavar can still kick Portis’ ass… and so can B-Mitch.
    ————————–
    Sean Taylor’s dad is sheriff of Dade County no Portis and Portis’s mom is not an a lawyer or something like that.
    At first I found his broken English a little annoying but the mass of jokes and comments about it are more annoying. Although the one dude that called him an ass-napkin was awesome, now that is a word I need in incorporate into my daily life.

122. Gray Eagle says: May 6, 2010 1:26 PM

Light travels faster than sound.
    Some people appear bright until they speak.

123. MagicMan407 says: May 6, 2010 2:29 PM

Maybe you idiots should actually listen to the interview rather than just reading what is posted. It’s obvious you guy’s didn’t hear it at all to think Portis just randomly started ranting about Lavar. Also, if you heard the interview you would be able to understand Portis no problem you assholes.

124. RedMan says: May 6, 2010 2:31 PM

# The Real Shuxion says: May 6, 2010 8:46 AM
    ——————————————————
    That University of Miami education is really paying off for him.
    ___________________________
    Just shows to prove there is more than 1 type of “education”. He may not be able to speak English past a Kindergarten level, but he has a usable skill that took priority over silly things like science, math, English, etc… Those subjects are for the masses….

125. drainthe;izard says: May 6, 2010 2:52 PM

I’s is looking on Ebay so I’s a by a English-Ebonics dickshonairy.
    WTF man?

126. BearMan54 says: May 6, 2010 3:09 PM

d3murf says:
    May 6, 2010 12:28 PM
    —————————–
    And now we see where most modern racism starts.
    Nobody in 126 posts made this about race until this post. Real nice.

127. ctown19 says: May 6, 2010 4:40 PM

Hey jahbird- stfu already! You are an excellent example of how a little education can turn a normal person into a pontificating ass hat. I’m assuming that you ever possessed some semblance of normalcy to begin with.

128. aroundwego says: May 7, 2010 12:20 AM

We are all indebted to Clinton “Gabby Johnson” Portis for clearly stating what had to be said. And I’m glad the children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish…but it expressed a courage that is little seen in this day and age

129. nyjshane88 says: May 7, 2010 12:49 AM

I remember a halftime segment on MNF in like 2003 where one of the reporters did like a Cribs thing with Portis. Me and my friend were watching like is this guy speaking english? Nuts.

130. trademcscab says: May 7, 2010 1:11 AM

this is exactly why 1. redskins fans dress up like female pigs and 2. why we traded you idiots mcscabb

131. Ocho says: May 7, 2010 5:28 PM

Here are the parts I dont get, actually there are many so I’ll try to keep it short…1) if you cared so much why didnt u go to lavar when u heard he was doing the eulogy and either ask to do it yourself or ask that Lavar turn it over to someone that u knew Sean would want to do it (since he,apparently, disliked Lavar)…2) u cared about Sean so much ur letting every1 know about how he wanted 2 jump teammates…great for his legacy, Clinton…on second thought there was probably a reason Lavar did the eulogy and you didnt, I can only image what you would deem appropriate to honor someone’s memory…

132. Backlund in 2012 says: May 8, 2010 5:27 AM

“LaVar ain’t know Sean like that. . . . ”
    Good lord, I teach in Seoul and I have 7 year old Korean children who can speak better than most NFL players.
    Whats more embarrassing is that English isn’t even their native language….

133. gogobox says: May 8, 2010 12:47 PM

This guy has a college education….WTF!
    A complete joke, and his attitude sucks.
    Its one thing to be mad it’s another to be ignorant and expose your true self like this….
    Portis your a Clown, please shut up…