LaVar Arrington responds to Clinton Portis

LaVar Arrington appears to be tired of feuding with Clinton Portis publicly.

We expected a fire and brimstone response from Arrington after Portis’ recent comments about Arrington embellishing his relationship with Sean Taylor.

Instead, Arrington tried to end the feud, take the high road, and move on.  Arrington calmly addressed the Taylor topic, and said seemed disappointed by the whole ordeal.

“People are trying to paint this picture that you need to take Clinton’s
side or take my side. It’s not about no taking no sides. It’s not even
about that. It’s very petty, if you ask me. Very petty, and
unfulfilling,” Arrington said on his radio show, via Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog.

Arrington seemed to realize as he spoke that continuing to talk about the squabble wouldn’t do anyone any good.

“I mean, it’s strange to me. Whatever it is that may have turned you
this way towards me, to me it’s very sad. It’s very sad,” Arrington said.  “And I just hope
that at some point, you’ll find clarity in whatever it is that you’re
feeling and whatever it is that you’re thinking, and possibly we can sit
down as men without this playing out over the airwaves and on the
internet and over ESPN or ProFootballTalk or anywhere else.”

(Whoops.  But hey, thanks for reading.)

Arrington didn’t take any calls on the subject, and finished his segment with this message to Portis:

“I just hope and I pray that whatever clarity that it is that you’re
searching for or that you need in your life, I hope you find it, man.  I
hope you find it.  I hope you find it.”

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
43 Responses to “LaVar Arrington responds to Clinton Portis”
  1. victor85 says: May 7, 2010 4:18 PM

It was definitely the classy route. Heartfelt and genuine. And let the hating begin

2. straverse says: May 7, 2010 4:20 PM

Yeah, he had to say that. Or else Portis and some other thug mighta jumped him.

3. mama tried says: May 7, 2010 4:22 PM

“It’s not about no taking no sides”
    is a triple negative a postive?!?!?

4. Skinsfan23 says: May 7, 2010 4:23 PM

That was yesterday son…but seriously LaVar is that dude…he said all the right things yesterday when all of DC was listening…great dude…talked about how he did have a relationship with sean…he spoke about the rookie hazing…he responded to everything clinton threw at him in a manly manner…Clinton had to be shocked to hear a response like that…they were boys hung out at eachothers crib…and all that…this should be squashed…LaVar you are that DUDE!!!! but anyways rosenthal you tried to make it sound like lavar was speaking ebonics like Portis did on his interview…LaVar is much more educated and actually threw in a lot of big words really did say all the right things… I love 106.7 the fan and F all the haters of the junkies and lavar and dukes!

5. Dixon29 says: May 7, 2010 4:24 PM

Way to go by taking the high road. Maybe Clinton can wear some crazy glasses and do a post game skit about all this.

6. redskinz1 says: May 7, 2010 4:28 PM

Didn’t Lavar start this whole feud with Portis???
    Now he’s the one acting like Portis has the problem.
    Sorry Lavar, but you’re a has been and you should have kept your mouth shut about players who have done more for the Redskins than you ever could.
    You make your way back to being a Redskin, then you can run your mouth as much as you want.
    How’s your restaurant goin??
    HTTR!!

7. spliffbunker says: May 7, 2010 4:29 PM

PFT was excited about a fire & brimstone response…
    PFT Planet is now waiting for the Steve Smith debates…any chance you could fill in for Florio on it?

8. EskinSux says: May 7, 2010 4:30 PM

Hopefully someday the History channel will run a documentary on such a truly historic moment, along the lines of the Churchill,Roosevelt,Stalin meeting, this is truly an epic event……..

9. Yash says: May 7, 2010 4:31 PM

Steve Smith and Clinton Portis V Lavar and Florio..Tag Team Hell in a cell…WWE Somerslam 2010…available for $69.99 on pay-per-view (all orders come with a free copy of “Quarterback of the Future” authored by Mike Florio. Seriously, we can’t even sell them in the $0.99 bin)

10. THE OPINION GUY says: May 7, 2010 4:35 PM

The best is listeing to portis and arrington both trying to speak. Nothing could be as funny.

11. ethan robert says: May 7, 2010 4:36 PM

This pales next to the Florio/Smith feud.

12. We need linemen says: May 7, 2010 4:36 PM

Sorry but the classy route would have been to say.
    “Portis and I disagree on many things. I think he misjudged my relationship with Sean Taylor and my motivation for speaking at his funeral. Portis and I do not like each other but there is no point in dragging this into the media.”
    Instead what we got was “I just hope and I pray that whatever clarity that it is that you’re searching for or that you need in your life, I hope you find it, man. I hope you find it. I hope you find it.”

13. Lee Haney says: May 7, 2010 4:40 PM

Before any of you forget this feud….please go read the transcripts of what Portis said and ask yourselves…How did this person pass an English class in high school or college? LaVar should have said…”I just hope and I pray that you use some of that $7million dollar salary this year on Rosetta Stone’s English Edition and that it is what you’re searching for or what you need in your life, I hope you find it, man. I hope you find it. I hope you find it.”

14. Snowman2008 says: May 7, 2010 4:42 PM

Why don’t they just get a room already!

15. Fonetik says: May 7, 2010 4:44 PM

“It’s not about no taking no sides.”
    Did he have a stroke in the middle of that sentence or something? What the hell is that?

16. Chapnasty2 says: May 7, 2010 4:45 PM

106.7 the fan is terrible radio, Lavar however isn’t. Clinton Portis sounded like a retarded thug who owes “Da U” an apology.

17. mybuddyandme says: May 7, 2010 4:46 PM

what the hell are these millionaires fighting about anyways?

18. 60eagles says: May 7, 2010 4:48 PM

Lava was one of the greatest football players of JoPa. I remember when Cortney Brown and Lavar were #1 and #2 in the NFL draft, both from Penn State. That was in 2000. After a series of injuries Mike Shanahan recommended Cortney should retire from Denver in 2006. He. did. Both retired in 2006.

19. iusedtobeteddybayer says: May 7, 2010 4:50 PM

“Nothing happening here folks. Keep moving.

20. ZombieRevolution says: May 7, 2010 4:52 PM

Wow PFT gets another pro athlete to mention the site, of course it is another athlete that does nto appear to think very highly of the site, but take what you can.

21. We need linemen says: May 7, 2010 4:53 PM

Sorry but the classy route would have been to say.
    Which is passive aggressive for:
    “It’s not me that is the problem. I am f-ing great. Portis is the problem and he needs to sort himself out.”
    Portis is a total tool, but I suspect he is right about Taylor not liking Arrington. ST apparently had difficulty trusting people and the first thing Arrington did is get a load of shaving foam in Sean’s eyes. I doubt Taylor ever forgot that. He may have been civil with Arrington. He may even have socialised with Arrington, but I doubt he would have truly liked or trusted Arrington.
    It doesn’t surprise me that Lavar thinks he was friends with Taylor, whilst at the same time Taylor was confiding his dislike of Arrington to someone he was closer to, someone like Portis.

22. Mean D says: May 7, 2010 4:55 PM

Another NFL retard. These are role models?

23. Roxtar10 says: May 7, 2010 5:01 PM

Clinton Portis = Washed up running back, about to lose his job to any of the free agent signings still trying to stay relevant by spouting idiocy to anyone that will listen.
    Big difference is now, Portis, no one cares because you bring nothing to the game anymore. I’m just as interested in hearing what Priest Holmes has to say about this.
    Way to do Taylor some justice here by making this all about getting yourself into the headlines.

24. GirthyOne says: May 7, 2010 5:27 PM

In the words of Steve Smith, Clinton Portis is a punk.
    I was laughing the other day, when Portis said that he and Sean Taylor were going to jump Arrington, but that they were basically afraid to.

25. joshington says: May 7, 2010 5:27 PM

Portis needs to STFU and get in the weight room and be ready to try and win some games this season. What is he doing worrying about LaVar for? GET TO WORK SON!

26. joshington says: May 7, 2010 5:28 PM

27. Fan of Football says: May 7, 2010 5:42 PM

“”I mean, it’s strange to me. Whatever it is that may have turned you this way towards me, to me it’s very sad. It’s very sad,” Arrington said. ”
    Wait, didn’t Arrington start it all?

28. WVUColumbus says: May 7, 2010 5:55 PM

No a triple negative would still be a negative.
    A double negative would be a positive.

29. stunzeed2 says: May 7, 2010 5:56 PM

Ugh; these two again.
    I love my skins'; really do…..but these two are continuing the clown-show paradigm we’ve had in DC for the last 10+ years. I wish both of them would go away; I do not want any remnants of the losing culture we are (trying to) shed.
    And I honestly have an easier time understanding Alex Ovechkin than I do Clinton Portis….what is wrong with that picture?

30. rockotica says: May 7, 2010 6:09 PM

he took the “high road” bc he did not have a legit response. it’ hard to justify misrepresenting a relationship w/ a dead guy. and the whole “i feel bad for him/i hope he gets it together” is just a pandering, hollow way of trying to look mature when in actuality he looks ridiculous bc what Portis said is basically confirmed now. Portis > Arrington

31. BigMikeSkinsFan says: May 7, 2010 6:16 PM

lavar DID start all of it. he has NO career (never did) and he has to stay in the public eye somehow.
    We need lineman is right…100% right

32. lowleadman says: May 7, 2010 6:22 PM

I hate them both.

33. weneedoline says: May 7, 2010 6:27 PM

For anyone that knows the Skins and knows the history of Lavar, seriously, knows that he a a self serving, act like a nice guy, me first kind of dude. He’s fooled most of this community with his ways. I was personally appalled when he got up during that funeral. It was yet another “hey look at me” moment instead of putting the focus where it belonged. Hell, Sean had 10 dudes from our team that could have stood up and talked, from the U, his boys. They all had the decency not to. Lavar is clown but he’s fooled everyone into thinking what a great guy he is.
    For my money, I’d rather hear Portis’ getto speak poor inglish coming from the hear and ringing sincere than Arrington’s proper English but using big words in the wrong places, thinking that he’s brighter than everyone but really just coming across as dumbass who thinks he’s smarter than everyone.
    Sorry, this time I side with Portis. Can’t stand either of them to tell you the truth, but this time, Portis is right.

34. irishsamurai says: May 7, 2010 6:34 PM

just sounds to me like a guy who started a beef,then the guy responding[portis] handed him his as$,and now arrington dont have anytthing to say back cause portis was right,and in all reality,arrington knows he was an overhyped player coming out of penn st,and never lived up to it,and was always hurt,he just knows his place

35. Flimflam1 says: May 7, 2010 7:00 PM

LaVar said his wife and Taylor’s wife still hang out, and their kids still play together.
    He hasn’t given me a reason yet to not believe what he says, so I have to believe that’s true.
    With that being said, all the folks (and CP) who still want to say LaVar didn’t hang with Taylor, or that Taylor didn’t like LaVar, or whatever, need to understand something: if you don’t like another dude, you don’t hang out with his family, let your kids hang out, etc.
    Like LaVar said yesterday, everyone on that defense at the time had something with Taylor that Portis doesn’t even know about. It’s time to shut up about it.

36. PatricktheDookie says: May 7, 2010 7:10 PM

I like Lavar and all, but he most definitely did not take the high road. He pretended to take the high road while insulting Portis all the while.

37. stetai says: May 7, 2010 8:34 PM

I only read the headline and just wanted to post “who cares?”, this isn’t 2003. What’s next a verbal spat between Tony Gwinn and Randy Johnson?

38. FinzFan305 says: May 7, 2010 8:51 PM

“GirthyOne says: …
    HA! You damn right your afraid, LaVar Arrington is a MAN! Now go away and keep your little bitchy comments to yourself, you little punk Portis.”
    Screw that, a real man? If he were a real man he wouldn’t have started this nonsense.
    ShaTay was WAY better and had more promise than Lavar could have dreamed of. Portis has also meant more to the Skins than Lavar ever did.
    Its too bad that Sean is brought in the middle of this… its too bad Lavar has to make himself look like a good guy when he’s not. Portis hasn’t claimed to be anything other than himself.
    Its bad enough that Lavar took as many shots as he could at Portis then turns around acting all “mature”. Thats not a ‘MAN’.
    A real ‘MAN’ calls it how he sees it.
    A real ‘MAN’ doesn’t flip-flop and act all high and mighty after he’s done taking his shots. – my 11yr old niece does that.
    And for “Chapnasty2″
    “Clinton Portis sounded like a retarded thug who owes “Da U” an apology.”
    Who would have guessed that someone would bring up The U and thug in the same sentence…
    OLD broken record!
    Why is it that this stigma still exists with The U, and not everyone’s love child UF? UF has had more arrests than UM in recent years.
    I hate to say it, and most of America won’t admit it, but arrests = wins. And because The U was the first team to do it, everyone hates them for it and only remembers the arrests even though it doesn’t go on anymore, but ignores the fact that the winning teams today are just U imitators.
    I don’t know if you are a Skins fan or not, but if you are, then you should be grateful for The U.

39. dlr4skins says: May 7, 2010 11:47 PM

irishsamurai says:
    May 7, 2010 6:34 PM
    ——DING,DING,DING,DING,DING——
    ********WE HAVE A WINNER!********
    P.S. Some person should let Lavar know that Sean wasn’t married. How do you let Champ Bailey go to get/keep these turds? Team deserved to lose, and still do until Snyder goes away for 3+ seasons.

40. therealtruth says: May 7, 2010 11:53 PM

Clinton Portis & “clarity in thinking” should never be used in the same sentance.

41. dlr4skins says: May 8, 2010 12:08 AM

FinzFan305 says:
    OLD broken record!
    SERIOUSLY DUDE, YOUR EITHER THE TOWEL BOY FOR THE CO”CANES” OR THE ESPN 30 FOR 30 PRODUCER.
    YOUR RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING; YOU NEED MORE ARRESTS, TO “=” MORE WINS, TO KEEP MAKING, AND LOSING THOSE INSIGNIFICANT BOWLS.
    YOU SHOULD BE GREATFUL FOR SOMETHING MORE IN YOUR LIFE.

42. Route36West says: May 8, 2010 10:55 AM

LaVar needs to realize its not just Portis who was involved in this it was both of them. Yes LaVar is doing the right thing now but he has taken plenty of shots at Portis as well. I dont think Portis is the only one who needs to find some clarity.
    I am a huge Eagles and Penn State fan and even though he played for 2 of the Eagles rivals I always rooted for him and was sad when he retired. Actually LaVar Arrington’s Jersey is the only 1 I ever bought of a Penn State player. I also think Portis is a Jackass. But come on LaVar you cant be involved in a sh*t throwing contest and then act like the other guy is the only 1 who needs to wash his hands.

43. MagicMan407 says: May 8, 2010 1:34 PM

Yeah Portis is such a horrible running back. He only rushed for 1500 yards last year and this past year was injured. Been injured only two years of his career always rushing for over 1200 yards but yeah he sucks.