Sergio Kindle backs off on his bold prediction

The Baltimore Ravens traded out of round one of the 2010 draft.  When they finally used a pick, they landed a guy who slid out of the first round, too.

But Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle thinks he’ll outperform his draft status.  He has proclaimed that he’ll be the defensive rookie of the year.

After getting his first taste of NFL practices, Kindle has softened his expectations.  “When I said that, it was just an exciting moment for me, getting
drafted,” Kindle said, per the Associated Press.  “My head was in the clouds.  First of all, you’ve
got to learn the playbook, get on the field and then perform well to get
Rookie of the Year.

“It will be a good goal for me to set
for myself to try to strive to, but I’ve got to take it one step at a
time.  So if you can copy, paste and delete that, that would be nice.”

Sorry, Serg.  But that’s not the way it works in the big leagues.  When you make a big boast, you might as well tattoo it to your forehead, because it ain’t going away.

The bigger question for Kindle relates to his health.  So far, he’s performing well.

“My body felt good. No knee issues,” he said.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Sergio Kindle backs off on his bold prediction”
  1. Tibor says: May 9, 2010 10:50 PM

Dumb. Come September nobody is going to remember what he said last week. He won’t. The Ravens wont’. And guess what? The other teams won’t.
    Only loser Florio will care.

2. last starfighter says: May 9, 2010 10:56 PM

Tibor-
    If you don’t care, why do you come read this blog and post comments?

3. geek says: May 9, 2010 10:58 PM

Thanks Florio for introducing the kid to how the press handles this kind of thing. I mean, the kid sounds sincere, and he’s not more that 22-3. Let him prove or disprove himself before you send him on his way without so much as a copy of your stupid book. If you don’t admire the kid for his confidence in himself, then his realization that it had been turned into a joke in your blog, you are the person who should be mocked. Let him play a couple seasons before you declare him the next JaMarcus. Even if he falls short of his own expectations, I suspect he’s not worthy of your mockery.

4. Steve-Mo says: May 9, 2010 10:59 PM

last starfighter +1,000

5. chad says: May 9, 2010 11:02 PM

its so true people like “Tibor” are so annoying….he probably checks PFT everyday

6. chad says: May 9, 2010 11:06 PM

and “geek” wtf are you talking about….he isnt mocking him at all….he just said that if he shuts up that he will be fine…..did u read it?

7. art vandelay-rau says: May 9, 2010 11:07 PM

looks like rayenthal lewis is “mentoring”the rookie on how to be a loudmouth tool already

8. tinopuno says: May 9, 2010 11:20 PM

I think Florio is in an excellent position to hold this rookie permanently accountable for any comments he might utter in a moment of excitement, given that Mike has NEVER printed ANYTHING in his blog he later regretted.

9. this class sucks says: May 9, 2010 11:24 PM

@last starfighter/Steve-Mo/chad
    Proving you’re better than him by commenting on his comment? Who really has no life here? I know the obvious counter response is to turn this on me, but I am perfectly ok with commenting on your comments because I did it to point out your idiocy and to pretend like I have better things to do with my time.

10. jamaltimore says: May 9, 2010 11:24 PM

Its makes the story even better when he wins DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR! Sounds like the kid’s been a little humbled but who wouldn’t when your running with GOAT, Reed, Ngata, Suggs, Johnson, Gregg, Pryce and the rest of a great NFL defense! He stays healthy and he dominates in this system. Add Mt. Cody to the mix and the blackbirds could be very scary on D with an offense scoring 28 a game!!!
    SHE SAID NO!!!

11. Steve-Mo says: May 9, 2010 11:26 PM

PS: You should look into reintroducing the fantastic feature we once had: COMMENT RATINGS.

12. Boss Hog says: May 9, 2010 11:27 PM

the ravens are going downhill. they’ll be 8-8 this year.

13. Steve-Mo says: May 9, 2010 11:28 PM

art vandelay-rau – Did you actually read the article?
    “My head was in the clouds. First of all, you’ve got to learn the playbook, get on the field and then perform well to get Rookie of the Year.
    “It will be a good goal for me to set for myself to try to strive to, but I’ve got to take it one step at a time.”
    What a diva!

14. Hooj says: May 9, 2010 11:29 PM

a rookie of the year and a hall of fame proclamation are two different things, no?

15. VoxVagina says: May 9, 2010 11:31 PM

Florio, you realize that guarantees these days are meaningless, right? Remember when Hasselbeck said “we’ll take the ball and we’re gonna score?” Remember when Jon Kitna guaranteed 10-11 wins for the Lions a few years back? I think almost everyone has forgotten that. Guarantees now are just 50/50 predictions made by cocky players which may or may not end up being true.

16. af16 says: May 9, 2010 11:33 PM

He made a bold prediction in the excitement of the moment, and is now adjusting his expectations a little. Sounds like he’s got a good head on his shoulders. What’s the issue here, exactly?

17. Steve-Mo says: May 9, 2010 11:34 PM

this class sucks – I’m not sure where I claimed I was better than that fellow at the top of the comments or saying that he didn’t have a life.
    last fightstar just had a good point. If you’re going to read every article on this site and bitch about how it’s pointless and the blog is a joke… why bother coming to it?

18. zibit says: May 9, 2010 11:42 PM

Yeah its impossible to for him to get rookie of the year. No ravens outside linebacker ever has. and no texas outside backer has recently
    ..errr.wait

19. oh the usual says: May 9, 2010 11:56 PM

I like his humor in the “if you could copy and paste, and delete that, that would be nice” bit. Sounds like he knows what he is doing more than most of the people making these kind of predictions.

20. Bendos7 says: May 9, 2010 11:56 PM

“the ravens are going downhill. they’ll be 8-8 this year.”
    __________________________________________
    What are you talking about? the ravens have improved significantly on offense and almost everywhere except for cornerback.
    downhill? i think not

21. The Wishbone says: May 10, 2010 12:01 AM

@ Florio,
    “Sorry, Serg. But that’s not the way it works in the big leagues. When you make a big boast, you might as well tattoo it to your forehead, because it ain’t going away.”
    Florio, that went about the moment he said it. How are you so obsessed with petty little things? A few years ago you were great at your job, and now you’re just petty and whiny.

22. Larry David says: May 10, 2010 12:04 AM

I know it’s May, and u need things to write about, but this post was a waste of space and time.

23. dEV says: May 10, 2010 12:06 AM

I think it was classy of him to admit that he got caught up in the moment. The “copy, paste, and delete that” was actually kind of funny, and shows that he’s a humble guy at heart. He got caught up in the moment, showed some confidence, and now realizes he made a mistake. I wish there were more players with that sort of self-awareness.

24. Paulitik says: May 10, 2010 12:19 AM

Sean Weatherspoon will be Rookie of the Year. Sorry Sergio.

25. tatum32 says: May 10, 2010 12:26 AM

He should stick to “Running my big mouth before the season starts rookie-of-the-year” Theres something called “Locker Room” material. Ever heard of it?

26. FreeAgentPro says: May 10, 2010 2:49 AM

“PS: You should look into reintroducing the fantastic feature we once had: COMMENT RATINGS”
    It’s obvious that Steve-Mo worships PFT and Florio when he refers to this site as ‘we’ . Maybe he is actually Florio, Jr. Get a life, kid.

27. Rouleau says: May 10, 2010 3:28 AM

he was just pumped, big deal.

28. MrSalamander says: May 10, 2010 4:16 AM

Sounds like a decent human being with a head on his shoulders that won’t be hung with goofy Mini-Me, jewel-encrusted, future pawn shop crap, ala JaMongous. Lay off Florio.
    Kindle, the Nation HOPES McClain will be in that conversation, too, but props to you for having a sense of humor about it all. Haters…eat a bowl. Bunch of green-assed never-was keyboard champs!

29. Raven Maniac says: May 10, 2010 5:40 AM

God forbid a guy gets drafted and is excited enough to make a bold prediction. I’d rather have a player with high self confidence than a guy saying ‘I mean, I’m okay and I certainly will not be rookie of the year.’ and he already backed off his comments so BFD.
    And Boss Hog, really? An article about a guy backing off his ROY prediction and that’s enough for you to say Ravens are going downhill? With nothing to back it up? I’d love to know who your team is bc it clearly cannot be any team in our division since the Browns are already terrible, Bengals are slipping, and the Squealers got drastically worse this offseason. I mean you wouldnt spew out a bunch of crap if your team was in a worse spot now would you?

30. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: May 10, 2010 6:37 AM

Nothing wrong with having a chip. I am sure this guy was hugely disappointed on draft week / weekend. Often times it is the guys with a chip that make the best success stories.

31. irishsamurai says: May 10, 2010 6:48 AM

its not like he came out and boasted about an ex-nfl player that died but didnt really die,those are the kind of things that are a lil harder to take back huh florio!?

32. Choirdrunk says: May 10, 2010 7:57 AM

I like Kindle already.
    The moment I knew Oher was going to be something special is when he was drafted 23rd and, when interviewed, he was just pissed. He didn’t pull a fake “I’m just honored to play” it was “I’m going to make these teams that passed on me pay”. And, so far, he’s proven his boast right.
    If Kindle had been drafted 10-15, where a lot of guys mocked him, would the comment be newsworthy? Injuries dropped him and, like usual, Newsome got a steal.

33. Jawn says: May 10, 2010 7:59 AM

It makes no sense to me why people like Tibor continue to come to this site and bash Florio. If every blog entry being posted was of very high relevance, there would be no posts to read for weeks at a time. Get a life man.

34. dakotah says: May 10, 2010 8:08 AM

Defensive Rookie of the Year? Is this a subtle admission that he is using performance enhancing drugs (but not steroids)?

35. smithopher says: May 10, 2010 8:12 AM

I understand where the kid is coming from though, it must be such an adrenaline rush to drafted… And as a defensive player to be going to the Ravens, that’s a dream come true. If I played defense and I got drafted by the Ravens Jets Patriots or Steelers I’d probably be loving my life. He was excited and made a bold proclamation. There’s honestly about 60 other players that can be rookie of the year this season as well. I don’t think he’s completely out of line. He is a promising prospect.

36. Jack Burton says: May 10, 2010 8:57 AM

With the way Orakpo played he’s probably not far off base, I hate the Ravens but I’ll root for Kindle.

37. BaltimoreSports says: May 10, 2010 9:50 AM

Nothing wrong with setting high expectations for your self as a rookie.

38. Hooj says: May 10, 2010 10:14 AM

if your team drafted him, wouldn’t that be something you wanted to hear from him? or would you prefer, “I hope to sit on the pine until the final year of my contract, when I’ll be forced to make an effort in hopes of being offered a second contract. I’ll be on the couch if you need me.”

39. Jungle Juice says: May 10, 2010 10:18 AM

The Defensive Rookie of the year will be Carlos Dunlap.
    Probably actually Joe Haden or one of the top 2 safeties but it could happen.
    I don’t see Kindle as mutch more than a 3rd down guy – ever. I predict his former teammate, Muckelroy, will have a better career.

40. kpweaver27 says: May 10, 2010 10:44 AM

Sergio Kindle has no shot at defensive MVP, that ill go to Sergio iPad.

41. Mista T says: May 10, 2010 11:22 AM

laughing @:
    # Boss Hog says: May 9, 2010 11:27 PM
    the ravens are going downhill. they’ll be 8-8 this year.
    ==================================
    Some of you Redskins fans are quite a hoot! Two decades out of contention, and the best you can do is declare your team the annual offseason Super Bowl champ and show your outright jealousy of Baltimore’s football successes with meaningless predictions.
    With no significant losses of the starting players and coaches who took the Ravens well into the playoffs two years running, and a few quality additions via trade, FA , and the draft, and a softer schedule, the Ravens should be a serious contender again. Redskins fans, meanwhile, will be scratching their heads wondering why all that defensive talent isn’t lifting their team out of last place

42. BigDeuce says: May 11, 2010 11:32 PM

Every Rookie Should feel that way!!!!! If u don’t think ur the Best u won’t play like ur the Best even if he doesn’t get Rookie of the yr as long as he plays like a raven who cares ! Just look at Matt Ryan he won rookie of the yr and he plays like S**t and look at Flacco he didn’t win rookie of the yr and he plays like a raven none of u can say he’s not a winner ! To me he should have been rookie of the yr but he wasn’t so win’n rookie of the yr doesn’t really matter it’s more about just help’n ur team !!!! Go Ravens