Rey Maualuga celebrates 100 days of sobriety

NFL_maualuga1.jpgOn one hand, we’re happy that Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga hasn’t had a drink in the 100 days since he was arrested for DUI.  On the other hand, it’s amazing that he was able to conceal a drinking problem for so long, especially since he seems to concede that his consumption affected his performance.

My body never felt so great.  I never looked so good,” Maualuga told Steve Wyche of NFL.com.  “I am so anxious for OTAs to start up.  Now I can hopefully compare
myself to last year when I wasn’t able to run 10 or 12 plays within a
drive and not be incredibly tired.  All my focus is on my body and how
much stronger I can get, how much smarter I can be and being a reliable
teammate. . . .

“I never gave my body the respect it deserves.  I never gave my mind time
to go through plays and dig deep and watch film and better myself as an
intelligent football player instead of just a physical specimen on the
field.  I don’t think I played to my abilities last season.  People say,
‘You did good for a rookie.’  I came out and made some plays but that
wasn’t enough for me.”

The irony, of course, is that the Bengals, who routinely take chances on players with a history of off-field issues, picked Maualuga even though his problems apparently weren’t widely known.

Then again, some were surprised that Maualuga lasted until the second round.  It could be that some teams had heard about his drinking, and that they had opted to steer clear, at least in the first round.

Regardless, Maualuga seems to have gotten the message.  He has accepted the consequences of his arrest, and he has committed to staying sober and doing the best he can in the future as a pro football player.

“Some people sat there and said they could have got me the best lawyers
to get out of it or to push off the court date and see if we can fight
it or appeal it and win.  [But] what’s all that going to prove?” Maualuga
said.  “I’m going to get a slap on the wrist, pay a ticket and not get a
DUI charge? It’s not going to prove anything.  I’m going to keep doing
the same BS stuff and not taking care of my body and partying. I’m glad
it happened.  I got to learn some things and dig deep inside and listen
to and find out about the people who cared who Rey Maualuga is.”

Wow.  We all love a story of redemption, and Maualuga has written the early chapters of a saga that could be one of the best we’ve seen in recent years.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
80 Responses to “Rey Maualuga celebrates 100 days of sobriety”
  1. Bob S. says: May 11, 2010 9:57 PM

Not good news for Budweiser!

2. Ben Roetlisbunger says: May 11, 2010 10:00 PM

Today we spell redemption: R-O-N.

3. strctlylo says: May 11, 2010 10:01 PM

Cheers!

4. Hooby says: May 11, 2010 10:07 PM

stay away from cedric benson then.

5. SlimPickens says: May 11, 2010 10:10 PM

finally a good story for the bengals and the nfl.

6. Play Hard says: May 11, 2010 10:18 PM

That’s awesome Big Play Rey. It took a DUI for me too to get my life straight and it’s been a little over 2 yrs now. So play out your contract and come play for the Silver and Black brah

7. Papa Bear says: May 11, 2010 10:21 PM

Too bad he’s back to 0 after the celebration

8. FantasyFootballSentinel says: May 11, 2010 10:23 PM

9. Huskersrule says: May 11, 2010 10:24 PM

Good luck to Ray I will be rooting for him.

10. Acrimonious1 says: May 11, 2010 10:24 PM

Awesome…good for him

11. Fonetik says: May 11, 2010 10:27 PM

I’m coming up on 10 years sober myself, I know how difficult it can be. I hope he stays sober, it can only be a positive.

12. Stone says: May 11, 2010 10:34 PM

God, I wish LT had done this years ago.

13. jibfest says: May 11, 2010 10:36 PM

I’m coming up on four minutes until I grab another beer.

14. fisherman says: May 11, 2010 10:37 PM

It’s great that he accepted responsibility, manned up, and is in the process of turning things around.
    But, does that mean he’s going to give some of his money back from last year, now that he’s admitted he cheated his employer and the fans.

15. LewD says: May 11, 2010 10:38 PM

good for this young man … I hope he is successful in his quest … only took me 40 years to figure it out …

16. American says: May 11, 2010 10:39 PM

FantasyFootballSentinel: And where is Rey’s justice? Ben Roethlisberger is ACCUSED of a crime and suspended 4-6 games, but Maualuga pleds guilty to DUI with a 17 and 18 year old girl in the car with him and NO suspension? WTF Goodell
    You must be delusional. I would like to go into why your statement is so off-base. But, I’m not going to waste my time. You are just wrong. Moving on.

17. myspaceyourface says: May 11, 2010 10:39 PM

Bungles still the Bungles. . .
    He should be roid tested. . .
    He and cushings were team mates and he probably traded one vice for another.

18. BigD88 says: May 11, 2010 10:40 PM

Good for him. He had a lot of issues heading into the league but it’s nice to see someone truly learn from his mistakes and turn himself around. Best of luck to him.

19. BenInAZ says: May 11, 2010 10:42 PM

Way to go, Rey…..we’ll be cheering for you as you dominate on the field this year….and as the future solid MLB for the Bengals for years to come…

20. downwithdansnyder says: May 11, 2010 10:44 PM

It’s called being a man. Not too many of them around any more. Just excuse machines…

21. FumbleNuts says: May 11, 2010 10:45 PM

Keep up the good work and congrats on the sobriety.

22. 2 Dimes and a Nickel Back says: May 11, 2010 10:46 PM

You don’t have a drinking problem until you graduate college, it’s the rule. He wasn’t concealing anything, he just got out of school.

23. RossyRoss says: May 11, 2010 10:46 PM

One guy is a drunk & the other cheats. Wow is that USC program one to look up to. Cheers USC fans! What a joke!

24. jibfest says: May 11, 2010 10:54 PM

I do applaud the man for addressing his drinking problem. 47 seconds until I grab another beer. Rey, this beer is for you.

25. kazkal says: May 11, 2010 10:57 PM

—And where is Rey’s justice? Ben Roethlisberger is ACCUSED of a crime and suspended 4-6 games, but Maualuga pleds guilty to DUI with a 17 and 18 year old girl in the car with him and NO suspension? WTF Goodell? —-
    Maualuga didn’t rape those chicks like Ben and it was his first Offense where Big Ben has had 3 strikes of being a idiot.

26. kazkal says: May 11, 2010 10:58 PM

—He and cushings were team mates and he probably traded one vice for another. —
    1.)Rey has always been built like that and didn’t have a “sudden” increase in size
    2.)Cushings still has bitch tits.

27. FantasyFootballSentinel says: May 11, 2010 11:10 PM

# American says: May 11, 2010 10:39 PM
    —————————————————-
    Ok so what is it you don’t understand? I’m not a Ben Roethlisberger defender, in fact I think he is a complete jackass, but I don’t think you are following me.
    My point is that Rey Maualuga has been charged with, and plead guilt to, a criminal offense. Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of and NOT charged with a crime. Ben has been suspended for 4-6 games based on an accusation, while Rey has not been disciplined by the NFL for breaking the law.
    Is that clear enough?

28. Gautam says: May 11, 2010 11:18 PM

the only problem is that the Bengals keep surrounding him with all kinds of thugs who can easily relapse into their disturbing behavior

29. Coach Stram says: May 11, 2010 11:19 PM

You listening, Leonard Little?

30. ethan robert says: May 11, 2010 11:21 PM

He is also observing 90 days since his roommates kicked him out, 80 days since his girlfriend left, 50 days since his family cut off contact with him, 30 days since his dog ran away….

31. steeltownpride says: May 11, 2010 11:27 PM

Congrats on being sober . Enjoy it while your teams fails to make the playoffs this season . 9-7 with a beer n shot .
    Cheers from Steelernation .

32. I_Hate_Yams says: May 11, 2010 11:36 PM

Good for him. Hopefully he can kick the habit.

33. mcgr8569 says: May 11, 2010 11:38 PM

First of all, people can relate to a DUI. People cannot relate to slamming a blacked out chick in a 5×5 bathroom in the back of a bar with people creating a human wall to stop people from seeing what you are doing. Big difference.
    From my experience, people that celebrate benchmarks in sobriety openly are just setting themselves up for relapse. Good luck, Rey. You will need it.

34. Gautam says: May 11, 2010 11:45 PM

FantasyFootballSentinel, I would assume the reason is Ben finding himself in the wrong position more than once ?
    I don’t know what the rule book says about Rey and his DUIs but wrt Ben, the message from the NFL to Big Ben is stop going around with your dick out of your pants in restrooms. Normal people don’t display that behavior.

35. Laxer37 says: May 12, 2010 12:01 AM

Off the booze but no mention of curbing his unhealthy attraction to High School girls.
    Rey Rey is lucky he doesn’t play for a high profile franchaise or this would have gotten national publicity and it would have forced Goodell to bring the hammer down.

36. koast says: May 12, 2010 12:07 AM

Good for this kid/young adult. Stay on the right track!

37. mcgr8569 says: May 12, 2010 12:08 AM

“My question is; Why hasn’t Rodger Goodell addressed Rey Maualuga’s situation yet?”
    Why hasn’t Goodell addressed Ronnie Brown’s situation yet? Can you really pick out one DUI above the rest? Vincent Jackson? Who am I (Goodell) missing?

38. bengals4real says: May 12, 2010 12:13 AM

The problem with ben worthlessburger is he has a long history of being an idiot to women and everyone else,he still has that civil suit pending in nevada or wherever,
    Mr.maualuga just has the one indescretion.
    Bens had many.

39. Bob Loblaw says: May 12, 2010 12:17 AM

I’m happy for the guy. I hope he’s working a good program and is hanging out with the right people. It’s not easy being sober and it would be a shame if he let drugs or booze ruin his career. It would be nice to see him when he has more clean time and possibly a role model for some of the other players in the same situation.

40. CanadianVikingFan says: May 12, 2010 12:36 AM

Good on ya.

41. steveinohio says: May 12, 2010 12:37 AM

“And where is Rey’s justice? Ben Roethlisberger is ACCUSED of a crime and suspended 4-6 games, but Maualuga pleds guilty to DUI with a 17 and 18 year old girl in the car with him and NO suspension? WTF Goodell? ”
    dumb ass. your boy raped two women. Rey got a DUI. first time you get in trouble in the NFL, it’s on the house. and oh, by the way…Ben raped like two women that we know about.

42. Gröfaz says: May 12, 2010 12:39 AM

FantasyFootballSentinel
    Go look up earlier incidents of DUI by football players, you f’n dumbass.

43. golden pheasant says: May 12, 2010 12:39 AM

@rey maualuga, play hard,fonetik,and Lew D keep up the good work , i applaud all you guys. especially Lew D 40 yrs wow!

44. Colts18 says: May 12, 2010 1:23 AM

The R-O-N Redemption comment gets my vote for comment of the year.

45. Colts18 says: May 12, 2010 1:28 AM

Its hard for me to drink because I dont have any friends who i can do things to after we are drunk

46. boltmancraft says: May 12, 2010 1:44 AM

AA chips come in denominations of 30-60-90 days, 6 months and 9 months. 100 days means squat. But, congrats on the sobriety, Rey.

47. Biff Henderson says: May 12, 2010 1:49 AM

Rey and Pacman should be training camp roomies. Maybe that redemption thing will wear off on Rainman.

48. whodey says: May 12, 2010 1:56 AM

because Goodell knows Rapistburger is guilty, and he’s lucky enough to have the $$$ to get himself a top attorney! it’s called KARMA.

49. who_dey_kid says: May 12, 2010 3:05 AM

@FantasyFootballSentinel
    The reason Rey’s situation isn’t being looked into is because it’s his first offense. Yeah, he plead guilt, but as he stated he very easily could have fought it and not had to admit to anything. Of course Big Ben is gonna claim innocence, it’s a way more serious crime.
    I don’t recall anybody getting serious crap from the commissioner after their first DUI offense, and if you can present a case to me i’ll buy your argument… until then comparing the Big Ben case to that of Rey Maualuga is a head scratcher to say the least.

50. lakedog19352 says: May 12, 2010 5:19 AM

I drink, but I drink moderately and I damn sure don’t drink and drive. Why do some people feel the need to tell us that he or she has not had a drink in X amount of time? You can drink…just don’t be an a$$hole when you do.

51. Titans*Smoke*Pole says: May 12, 2010 5:33 AM

@ FantasyFootballSentinel:
    YOU are a nub. Don’t you remember the Stallworth drunk-driving manslaughter that netted a month in jail and a year suspension? Obviously, that case shows how much teensy, weensy, little ol’ DUI means. He KILLED someone and got a slap on the wrist! Raping people is not a good thing, but it is definitely a step up from a DUI.
    Ben told me yesterday via skype that he “hasn’t legally gotten laid in 26 years.” I believed him.

52. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: May 12, 2010 5:46 AM

How was hiding his drinking problem? It was the biggest knock on him coming out of college. Everyone knew the guy was a booze hound.

53. NoKoolaidCowboy says: May 12, 2010 6:12 AM

*hiccup!

54. TheChosen1 says: May 12, 2010 6:53 AM

This is a good story and I hope that Maualuga can keep himself straight. Thank God he didn’t mention Jesus or anything because Florio would’ve been all over him speculating about how he earns his money, where it goes, and nit picking every point of the guy’s life.

55. ham1 says: May 12, 2010 7:03 AM

100 days, is really that big a deal? I mean lets see where he is in 5 years. Lets just see him have the courage to make it one year. Best of luck really, thats tougher than the NFL for sure.

56. philwauke says: May 12, 2010 7:32 AM

Ham1. ….. He has to start somewhere.
    Jibfest. …. We get it you’re a drunk.

57. 2MinutesHate says: May 12, 2010 7:48 AM

Many players have got a DUI over the years. It was his first offense. Plus, the fact that he had 2 girls with him that were underage doesn’t help matters. However, the difference between him and Big Ben is that Ben is wandering down the hall with his Johnson flopped out, the girl is probably too drunk to even really fight him off, and Ben “helps” her get her pants off even though she says no. That’s what happened and that’s the difference.
    Ben is trash. We all know this.

58. Duck Fallas says: May 12, 2010 8:04 AM

Good for him. I hope he makes it.
    As for LT, his preference for blow was probably more of a PED that helped him put his game face on.

59. The Real Shuxion says: May 12, 2010 8:11 AM

Sometimes you have to be at the bottom to change yourself for the bettter.
    DUI’s are crimes of pure stupidity, maybe he realized he could have killed someone and changed his ways.
    Good luck in the future.

60. BigBear123 says: May 12, 2010 8:41 AM

He take 17 & 18 year old girls out and buy them drinks to celebrate?

61. CincyAllDaWay says: May 12, 2010 8:50 AM

The difference between Rey and Big Ben is simple. Rey is a REAL MAN that owns up to his dumbass mistakes and takes full responsibility for his actions. Meets them head on and doesn’t try to make excuses. He didn’t try to hide behind his money or payoff anyone to keep his sorry ass out of jail! Ben is shit…plain and simple. Perfectly suited for that toilet bowl also known as the Burg!

62. Profanity in ALL CAPS says: May 12, 2010 9:07 AM

atleast he figures out not to drink early in his career.
    hundreds of players still drink years into their career heavily. like bryant mckinnie. my god, if this guy stopped partying, he would be dominant. but you know he is hungover from his saturday party.

63. overkil2 says: May 12, 2010 9:16 AM

“FantasyFootballSentinel says:
    May 11, 2010 11:10 PM
    Is that clear enough?

It is his first offense. Normally disciplinary action is taken for repeat offenders unless the situation is very “grave” i.e. killing dogs, mansluaghter, etc.

64. XLI says: May 12, 2010 9:27 AM

Congrats (I think) … but you’re still a Bengal so I guess I’d start drinking again.

65. HamBurghlar says: May 12, 2010 9:36 AM

As a Steeler fan, I have to say, good on you Rey.. But as a Steeler fan, I also have to say that it’s not like Cinci will be much of a factor again this year with Captain Mediocre at the helm..

66. jerseykingpin says: May 12, 2010 9:49 AM

The only reason he didn’t get far with the UNDERAGE GIRLS was that he smashed up that so call car of his . You talk about Ben but its ok this guy had 16 yr old girls in his car and not one was his kid and he was driving drunk . Where was he taking them out for candy and icecream . Well they do say thats how they lure young kids in to their car

67. jerseykingpin says: May 12, 2010 9:51 AM

CincyAllDaWay says:
    May 12, 2010 8:50 AM
    —————–
    You forgot to say that Ben gose after girls of age not under 18

68. jerseykingpin says: May 12, 2010 10:01 AM

Florio you leftout my first statement . 100 days of sobriety HMMMMMMMMMM is that from staying away from underage girls to . Well I guess with his looks 16yr girls are the only ones he can pick up . And the Bengals fans talk about Ben with a 20 yr girl LMAO high class team . Maybe Pac Man will bring him to a strp club so he can get to feel up someone of age

69. Bdrunk says: May 12, 2010 10:39 AM

Good on him, it’s a healthier body without the sauce. I’m skeptical about him waiting until he got a DUI. If he’s on probation, then there’s a good chance he’s just not allowed to drink. Kind of like folks who ‘quit’ smoking cigs when they go to prison (if the prison doesn’t permit smoking), but light one up as soon as they leave. Is he in full therapy/support groups for drinking? And not just a requirement of probation or whatnot? There’s plenty of other ways to destroy your body in pro football.

70. FantasyFootballSentinel says: May 12, 2010 11:00 AM

The point I am trying to make is that If Rodger Goodell is going to create an atmosphere where the NFL is tough on crime and/or negative behavior then why hasn’t he addressed any of the other players who have been arrested and convicted of crimes ( I’m not going to list them all because there are so many) and yet he has addressed a situation where a player has been accused but not charged or convicted?
    I’m not justifying Roesthlisberger’s behavior, I think he is a total douche bag, but since i wasn’t there and neither where any of you none of us knows what really happened.
    Also to whoever said the first offense is on the house unless someone gets killed or seriously hurt, don’t you think that is a completely F**Ked up way of thinking?
    If Goodell wants to show the world that he and the NFL are not going to tolerate negative behavior from players shouldn’t anyone who commits a crime or breaks the NFL code of conduct be held accountable even if it’s their first offense?
    If players know the first time is free where is the accountability?
    ONCE AGAIN LET ME STATE I’M NOT A STEELER FAN, I HATE THE STEELERS.

71. PurpleNGold says: May 12, 2010 11:03 AM

Congratulations. I stopped drinking 18 months ago, and I sleep better and feel better than I did while I was drinking. More importantly, I no longer isolate myself in a fuzzy warm blanket of alcohol, I can now see what’s real at the moment that it’s real. Keep up the good work.

72. CincyAllDaWay says: May 12, 2010 12:59 PM

@ jerseykingpin…….The girls were 18, not under age. The first report was wrong. Do some checking.

73. CKL says: May 12, 2010 1:29 PM

I HATE what Rey did, I HATE drunk driving more than any other non-felony. I have never one time in my life driven even tipsy and I have been hit by a licenseless habitual drunk/druggie and was lucky to escape relatively uninjured. I think driving while drunk or on drugs is one of THE most selfish and ignorant and assholish things someone can do.
    That said, I think that some guys learn from their first DUI and I commend them for turning their lives around. I am all for a second chance with DUI guys PROVIDED they did not prove to have hurt anyone solely due to driving drunk. Stallworth is a grey area but I believe he is TRULY remorseful and there were other factors in play in his situation. After two DUI though, throw the book at them because it’s a habit then. I think it’s pretty easy to say that for every DUI one has gotten, one has probably driven drunk multiple times. So someone who is caught twice has no doubt done it far more than 2 times. This is why Steelers fans should be thinking not about Rey…but about Vincent Jackson who HAS had 2 DUI and one suspended license.

74. JohnnyU says: May 12, 2010 3:36 PM

I cannot wait until week 9 when we can shut these Stooler fans up. Your in trouble son.

75. oyoy84 says: May 12, 2010 5:11 PM

good for him

76. oyoy84 says: May 12, 2010 5:28 PM

.. that is if he keeps it going

77. mlegue810 says: May 12, 2010 5:40 PM

Poor bastard

78. SonsCompass says: May 13, 2010 5:35 AM

@steeltownpride
    Didn’t you guys do that toast last year?
    You know…the 9-7 missing the playoffs toast?
    That was preceded by two shots of getting your arse kicked by the bengals, and an offseason hangover of Big Ben and Santonio making ass-clowns of your franchise.
    Cheers to you and that 5-11 record coming this season!

79. CurseofBoJackson says: May 13, 2010 1:44 PM

Steeler fans talk like they’re gonna own the Bengals and the league this upcoming season. Good luck with that, with your wicked set of WR’s (read sarcasm) and old ass O and D lines, yea, it’s a lock guys, bet the house. Morons.
    Rey appears to be on the correct track, and if last year was what he played like at, what for all intents and purposes, was less than 100%, I can’t WAIT to see him this year.

80. Dave says: May 13, 2010 6:51 PM

SERIOUSLY? Arrested for DUI and not being charged with rape simply becasue there wasn’t enough DNA evidence are 2 drastically different things. Moron.
    Congrats, Rey.