Cushing gets his Justice

As the Brian Cushing story begins to fade — but hopefully not be forgotten — a respected local columnist has taken aim at Cushing with the broad barrel of a B.S. bazooka.

Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle obliterates Cushing’s lame explanation from Thursday regarding the presence of hCG in his body.  We urge you to read it all for yourself.

Justice appeared earlier this morning with Ross Tucker and Peter King of Sirius NFL Radio to discuss the column and the Cushing situation.  Among other things, Justice said that Texans fans are angry about Cushing’s excuse — and outraged that he would base his explanation on an irrational fear of cancer, a fear about which no one in the organization was aware.

Justice also believes that owner Bob McNair isn’t happy with Cushing’s behavior.  And that could severely limit Cushing’s tenure with the Texans, especially if his performance dips in the wake of the suspension.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
28 Responses to “Cushing gets his Justice”
  1. bigfatdrunk says: May 14, 2010 10:24 AM

Richard Justice embodies literally everything wrong with the traditional media. Read him, and I guarantee you’ll be worse off for it.

2. seanboy says: May 14, 2010 10:30 AM

You lost me at “respected local columnist”. This guy was rightly named “the writer of wrongs” by Lance Berkman. He is the ultimate homer when it comes to the Texas Longhorns. His opinion has far more to do with Cushing being a Trojan than anything else. If Cushing was Vince Young or had attended Texas you would be reading a far different article. I won’t condone or condemn Cushing, he will be suspended no matter what, but “Justice is certainly not served” in this commentary.

3. Guy Incognito says: May 14, 2010 10:35 AM

Ok, for crying out loud, we get it. Cushing is the worst person on Earth.
    When you start to make as big a stink about every other player that is suspended for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and not just the guys that win awards I might begin to care.
    But in my opinion this topic has an inverse relationship to your arguments against the Rooney’s for allowing big name players to get away with anything (i.e. making little mention of it) while sending no-names packing for minor offenses; you go hot and heavy against one subset and let the other off with a media equivalent of a slap on the wrist.
    Call that a syllogism if you like but my point is this; you are making an otherwise excellent resource that I’ve been reading for 3+ years an all-out character assassination site against Brian Cushing, whom I (and likely many other readers) care nothing about. Stop it, report something that hasn’t been done to death.

4. ZombieRevolution says: May 14, 2010 10:35 AM

“As the Brian Cushing story begins to fade — but hopefully not be forgotten…”
    As long as PFT in existence and has the drive to do nothing more than post frequently on it (as opposed to contacting Cushing to question him, or showing up at his press conference, or a 100 other active things it could do rather than sitting at a desk being out raged) the story will not be forgotten.
    This is like the professional athletes making a plea for a charity and then making a very small donation.

5. albaNY Hawker says: May 14, 2010 10:36 AM

OMG…that pitiful excuse makes LT paying $300 to beat-off in front of a 16-year old girl seem believable!

6. Lex Luger says: May 14, 2010 10:44 AM

Just win baby.
    Its only cheating if you get caught.
    Its not a lie, if YOU believe it.
    Why spends thousands of hours in the gym, when you can spend hundreds of hours in the gym and achieve BETTER RESULTS.
    Come on now, everybody join in
    Juice up for ol’ SC
    Our men juice on to victory
    Our Alma Mater dear,
    looks up to you
    Cheat on and juice For ol’ SC
    Cheat on to victory
    Cheat on!

7. Dead Coach says: May 14, 2010 10:49 AM

For anyone who wants to read what was actually said, or see the video of the presser so you can make up your own mind rather than just following where Florio’s agenda leads you, check the link here:
    Or you can continue to let others think for you. It’s so much easier.

8. irishgary says: May 14, 2010 10:51 AM

Great article. More of the media need to call this clown and the rest of the users out.

9. cbrianwatkins says: May 14, 2010 10:57 AM

to be honest Florio, the Richard Justice piece is about as bad as the ones you’ve done on this Cushing nonsense
    i can’t even call half of you guys reporters anymore, you’re nothing more than gossip writers, well we all knew you were a gossip writer, but the rest of them are nothing more than a TMZ Sports Edition
    you should all be ashamed of yourselves

10. JimmyY says: May 14, 2010 11:11 AM

Thanks Mike, keep banging it. Cancer? Oh, you have GOT to be kidding. As is stated a tumor causing elevated hCG levels would still be producing throughout the year, not just one time. Oh my God, is this kid an idiot or what? To use that as his excuse is an embarassment to those who do suffer and if he did in fact have cancer would he not be such a great example that kids and people could look up to and would it not have gotten out in the press sooner? And if it was cancer, why the appeal process? A professional football player winning ROY and a cancer sufferer? Lets see if McNair comes down on his lame ass as he should, POS.

11. Hugh says: May 14, 2010 11:14 AM

The PFT Planet:
    For Texan & Charger fans: steroids are no big deal.
    For Raven fans: a LB who covers up a murder is no big deal.
    For Falcon & Eagles fans: a QB who tortures and kills dogs is no big deal.
    For Saints fans: a head coach who steals illegal drugs from the team to support his addiction is no big deal.
    For Steeler fans: a QB who walks around at parties with his johnson hanging out and rapes drunken college girls is no big deal.
    All of you are f%@king idiots.
    This is not the NFL I grew up to love. It’s getting uglier but the minute.

12. BenRapistberger says: May 14, 2010 11:22 AM

Video taping defensive signals is no big deal.

13. Fear Da Tiger says: May 14, 2010 11:23 AM

Cushing should have followed in the footsteps of his former USC teammate, Rey Maualuga, after his DUI arrest. Admit what you did was wrong, admit you have a problem, and work hard to correct that problem. Now Maualuga hasn’t fully proven he’s changed (although 100 days sober is a great start) but he’s been contrite and honest about everything all along and the fans in Cincinnati have moved on and embraced him again despite the stigma and history of arrests with that team. Big Ben and Cushing could both learn a valuable lesson. That said, Maualuga’s contrition is rare in society, let along in the NFL.

14. MrHumble says: May 14, 2010 11:23 AM

We have seen the productivity of other “great players” take a nosedive when they were forced to get off the ‘roids and for as stupid as cushing is, his day too will come. A cheater is one thing, but to lie and in doing so, you defy all science, just to attempt to get a sympathy vote will be his downfall. Career done….sponsorships forget it, cred….ZERO.

15. irishsamurai says: May 14, 2010 11:30 AM

Hugh says:
    May 14, 2010 11:14 AM
    ———————-
    a pft poster,is no big deal,but go ahead with your judgements,you know what they say about when you ASSUME something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,loser,go watch baseball then

16. ItalienArmyGuy says: May 14, 2010 11:40 AM

17. DBagsUnite says: May 14, 2010 11:48 AM

Shouldn’t Florio be working for TMZ? I can’t read anything he writes anymore, it’s all hack and drama, and he’s obsessed with beating the living crap out of a “story”.

18. FreeAgentPro says: May 14, 2010 11:50 AM

“I want to add a comment but I’m so obsessed with the Patriots I don’t know what else to say!!!”
    Just say Cushing’s hero is Rodney Harrison. Hard hitting, and hard cheating…

19. FreeAgentPro says: May 14, 2010 11:53 AM

Hugh, you forgot for a Patriot fan, cheating is no big deal.

20. Slow Joe says: May 14, 2010 12:19 PM

How does one “appear” on a radio show?

21. Lex Luger says: May 14, 2010 1:17 PM

Did anyone else see Teddy Brushci comments on EPSN. He’s the only there that made any sense,
    however Mark Schlereth wastin no time sucking Cushing dick and saying he believed him and that he was innocent

22. Dolfan72 says: May 14, 2010 2:03 PM

Think these words were chosen carefully by his team:
    “I personally don’t inject myself with anything.”
    So, it must be cancer or I keep sitting down on needles in the locker room by accident…
    I get that everyone is sick of these stories, but the NFL is f’d up right now because guys like Cushing and Vick and Little Ben etc. (and the list is long) feel that entitlement and their agents, beat reporters, and handlers feed that.
    Things will only change when the owners become so embarrassed by these players that they get blackballed or the commissioner finally says “Enough!” and start doling out serious suspensions (1 yr or longer).
    The NFL, the media, and fellow players are nuturing this behavior causing a endless cycle.
    I love the NFL, but it’s getting tougher to love with every report…

23. Dead Coach says: May 14, 2010 2:47 PM

Dolfan72 says:
    May 14, 2010 2:03 PM
    Think these words were chosen carefully by his team:
    “I personally don’t inject myself with anything.”
    Those words weren’t “chosen carefully” by anyone but you. Check the full quote at the link I posted above Dolfan:
    “I denied then and continue now that I ever took a substance banned by the National Football League. I appealed the decision, and in that process presented significant medical and scientific data challenging the league’s determination that the banned substance was present by ingestion and was not naturally incurring. I want to make it known that I did not inject or ingest any illegal substances that would enhance my performance”
    You can also click the video link and get the correct quote straight from Cushing. Reads / sounds a little different when you have it correct.

24. granadafan says: May 14, 2010 4:08 PM

Classic example of a lawyer written statement. Tom Condon, his agent, should have known better than to use multi-syllable words for Cushing to read in front of the camera.
    I’m surprised Cushing didn’t finish it off by yelling, “San Dimas High football rules!”.

25. Dolfan72 says: May 14, 2010 4:50 PM

That was taken verbatim from the article. Your own quote reads:
    “I want to make it known that I did not inject or ingest any illegal substances that would enhance my performance”
    Completely true if someone else injected him, right? I don’t doubt for a second that in his entitled mind that he believes he is being perfectly honest.
    You probably think that he had a malignant testicular tumor for a month or so and magically cured himself because of his clean living and only putting the best foods and supplements in his body.

26. Dead Coach says: May 14, 2010 5:36 PM

Apparently I was incorrect – chosen carefully by you and Richard Justice. The quote wasn’t part of his statement, it was part of the question and answer session. Follow the link I provided earlier and see for yourself. His carefully chosen words were in the statement, which I even re-printed for you. And you bypassed the very first sentance of the quote to reach for the one which most supports your agenda. Here it is again:
    “I denied then and continue now that I ever took a substance banned by the National Football League.”
    Read it slowly and carefully. There is nothing about delivery methods. It is a complete denial. Not that anyone believes him, but you don’t have to twist his words. Just say you don’t believe him.

27. Outcast says: May 14, 2010 8:24 PM

Ouch! It takes some stones to go after a guy from your hometown the way Justice did. From what I understand, though, Richard Justice has a hell of a lot more credibilty than Cushing.

28. Hugh says: May 14, 2010 10:52 PM

FreeAgentPro says:
    May 14, 2010 11:53 AM
    Hugh, you forgot for a Patriot fan, cheating is no big deal.
    ——————————————————————————————————–
    You’re right. I did forget that one. Thanks.
    ——————————————————————————————————-
    irishsamurai says:
    May 14, 2010 11:30 AM
    Hugh says:
    May 14, 2010 11:14 AM
    ———————-
    ——————————————————————————————————–
    Guess I hit a nerve. Sucks for you to be hanging on Big Ben’s balls.
    Or is it M. Vick’s balls.
    Or is it Ray Lewis’ balls.
    Or…..