Suggs on sluggish season: "It will never happen again"

Last July, the Ravens gave outside linebacker defensive end Terrell Suggs a six-year, $62.5 million contract along with a whopping $38.1 million guaranteed.  He collected $16.1 million in the first year, including a $10.1 million signing bonus and $5 million base salary.

The return for Baltimore?
A career-low 4.5 sacks.  Suggs’ lowest tackle total (59) since his one-start rookie season.  Three missed games due to injury — the first of Suggs’ career — and a single forced fumble.
Suggs, paid a $23 million option bonus this March, vows to change.
“Hey, it’s not expected for me to have a season like that,” admitted the 27-year-old. “Rest assured, it will never happen again.”
Suggs’ worst season may be partially attributable to reporting out of shape last summer.  He did little conditioning with the team while waiting for his contract extension.
In a September 22, 2009 mailbag item, Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun responded to a question about Suggs’ early-season lack of productivity.
He needs to get his $63 million butt in shape,” answered Preston.  “End of conversation.”
Suggs plans to play this season at 255 pounds.  He weighed 270 last year.
We’ll see if it matters.
Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Suggs on sluggish season: "It will never happen again"”
  1. GRpatriot says: May 15, 2010 8:18 PM

Over-pay much?

2. irishsamurai says: May 15, 2010 8:26 PM

GRpatriot says:
    May 15, 2010 8:18 PM
    Over-pay much?
    ————
    i dont think pats fans should call him over payed

3. GRpatriot says: May 15, 2010 8:32 PM

Last July, the Ravens gave outside linebacker defensive end Terrell Suggs a six-year, $62.5 million contract along with a whopping $38.1 million guaranteed. He collected $16.1 million in the first year, including a $10.1 million signing bonus and $5 million base salary.
    Why? One game win in the Play offs! One SuperBowl….Yeah, stunningly successful Org.

4. ItalianArmyGuy says: May 15, 2010 8:33 PM

# GRpatriot says: May 15, 2010 8:18 PM
    Over-pay much?
    ====================
    Hilarious. Even a fat, overpaid Suggs is twice the man of any player on the Patsie’s marshmallow defense
    Why in the world would Patsie fan talk smack about a Ravens player anyway? If I recall, Suggs (and crew) whipped your a$$es in Boston in your big “playoff run” last year, Patsies

5. myspaceyourface says: May 15, 2010 8:45 PM

What about throwing bleach on your wife and child, while threatening to kill them. Will that ever happen again? ? ?

6. FireJerryJones says: May 15, 2010 8:45 PM

Sounds like Belichick’s next guy

7. Bmored82 says: May 15, 2010 8:46 PM

Thanks dude. Your right, we’ve been pretty successfull in our brief existence. It be nice if the Pats would make the playoffs this year so we could slap them around again but they won’t.

8. downwithdansnyder says: May 15, 2010 8:49 PM

Fat Albert Hayneworth are you listening. Get your fat Albert in shape and EARN that money.

9. ICEWALKER says: May 15, 2010 8:52 PM

I, for one, believe him. I’m glad this Raven team isn’t on my team’s schedule. I sense that the defense will be very tough and the offense will be more than just a running, conservative, attack.
    If they stay healthy, this team will make it to the AFC Championship game.

10. Bech72 says: May 15, 2010 9:26 PM

Rest assured, when Baltimore plays Cincy, Andrew Whitworth and Andre Smith will make him look like the overpaid 4.5 sack guy he was in 2009! AFC North Champs my ASS! The Ravens are the most over hyped team in the league, just wait; come December they’ll be battling Pittsburgh for the #2 spot in the division and a wild card berth!

11. PittsburghSteelerz says: May 15, 2010 9:31 PM

“If they stay healthy, this team will make it to the AFC Championship game.”
    ——————————-
    …And get beat by the Steelers. Again.

12. ItalianArmyGuy says: May 15, 2010 9:43 PM

Bmored82 says: May 15, 2010 8:46 PM
    ===================
    Hilarious. I would root for the Ravens to make the playoffs again just to see them bitch slap the Patsies 33-14 at home again
    The look on Tom Brady’s face by halftime was priceless – it was “game over” — “I don’t want to play anymore”, LOL

13. Ravenmaniac says: May 15, 2010 10:02 PM

Thanks ItalianArmyGuy!!!

14. jamaltimore says: May 15, 2010 10:03 PM

ICEWALKER IS A GENIUS!

15. Slow Joe says: May 15, 2010 10:08 PM

I don’t know as much about the 3-4 defense the Ravens run as I do the 4-3, but I do know there’s no way in hell he’s playing defensive end at 255 pounds. 3-4 ends aren’t pass rushers so much as anchors against the run. He must be playing outside linebacker in 3-4 alignments and moving up to DE when they show a 4-3 front.

16. GRpatriot says: May 15, 2010 10:26 PM

The school I went to taught me 3 is more than 1.
    Willie McGinest all time play off sack leader 14.5 In his prime, was better than Suggs!
    TBC or Tulley Banta Cain had 10 sacks last year and if my math is correct thats 6 more than Suggs. I did go to Baltimore Public schools, so it could be wrong?
    I like Suggs as a player, but another example of getting the payday and underperforming. Haynesworth is another! He can play when he wants to.
    Patriots play off record 19-4! Yes, the Ravens exploded through the middle of the Pats D…I never said they didn’t. What I did say was it was one game, from a team that had some lockerroom issues (AD your boy) was in the midst of that!
    The point I was trying to make is that amounts to 4 mil. a sack! In 2007 Brady threw 50 td’s. He made 8 mil. that year. 160K per TD
    I’m sure the Pats would like another crack at the Ravens. I don’t think your record vs. the Pats is that impressive. Other than that play off game, I can’t remember the last time they lost to the Ravens??? I could look it up but, does it really matter?

17. Reedhof20 says: May 15, 2010 10:59 PM

Pats fans are still chafed from the hit, strip and fumble recovery Suggs inflicted on the golden boy. Actually, he did it twice, the first in the regular season game. P.S. That when he was “fat and outta shape”. Ha. And pathetic Bengals fans-please stfu until you win more than you lose 2 years in a row. Your fat-ass manboob havin’ tackle belongs at Jenny Craig with Manboob Belichik. Disgusting. Bring it on Shittsburg.

18. KennyPowers55 says: May 15, 2010 11:08 PM

GRpatriot-
    It awesome to defend your team, but man…. Yes, the Patriots have more Super Bowls than the Ravens. Good news for Brady, if you are correct in saying the Patriots would like another crack at the Ravens, is they get one in 2010.
    Now when you say a 19-4 playoff record, is that all-time or just when the Patriots/Red Sox Nation bandwagon started loading up passengers? The Patriots are 5-4 in the playoffs since their last Super Bowl in 2005. I’m not a fan of the Patriots but I can think of another loss they had 25 years ago, and I’m sure there were more somewhere along the way.
    Your only as good as your last game bud, and that game was over at halftime.

19. JOldewurtel says: May 15, 2010 11:10 PM

I sure hope so… a few years ago, it was believed that Suggs would be the next guy to get 20 sacks in a season.
    In a dissapointing season, he was the 32nd rated DE in the league (no matter if it was 3-4 or 4-3). However, he was #2 against the run, only to Trent Cole.
    He didn’t have a BAD year, but he didn’t play like a $60M+ player.
    And sacks are tremendously overrated. You want to talk about a high priced overrated player. Try Saints DE Will Smith. He may have had 12 sacks, but rated out as the 96th DE in football last year.

20. QJ1984 says: May 15, 2010 11:12 PM

GRPatriots, how the hell is AD the Ravens boy? That sack of shit disowned Baltimore the moment he signed with his dream team. He IS your boy. You are the ones that made the overrated p.o.s one of the highest paid LB’s in the NFL at that time. Suggs is 27. He’s got plenty left in the tank and plenty of time left to earn that money. How much did the Pats get out of that 20 million they gave AD to play 2 1/2 seasons?
    I’ll answer for you. They got jack shit. Talk about the pot calling the tea kettle black.

21. august says: May 15, 2010 11:17 PM

You can’t pay someone that much money and get results. It just never seems to happen. Thats why the Patriots don’t do it, and thats why they have the best longevity over the past 10 years. Adalius Thomas aside, which was bad enough for 21M over 3 years. Another dirty Raven.

22. QJ1984 says: May 15, 2010 11:18 PM

@Bech72
    Coming from the guy whose team got ousted AT HOME by a team led by a rookie freaking QB. The Bengals last playoff win came 20+ years ago. You have ZERO braggin rights. The Ravens are almost 3 decades younger than the Bengals and even they have won a Superbowl. STFU until the Bengals win something that matters, like a championship, but I guess a playoff game would be a start.

23. habibfromnewdehli says: May 15, 2010 11:26 PM

Please… if you have no idea what you’re talking about then just don’t comment.
    Suggs was a BRIGHT SPOT on a disappointing defense. Opposing teams had the quick slants open ALL DAY every week because the Ravens have absolutely no competent corners. Lardarius Webb was showing potential as a rookie, but then he suffered a bad injury while he was showing Chris Carr how to return kicks since he couldn’t do that either.
    Last year was the first year this defense did not have REX RYAN. The schemes were HORRIBLE, and they blitzed hardly ever. Why? The only guess we in Baltimore can come up with was the corners. But they definitely missed Rex Ryan. Bary Scott. Jim Leonard. Samari Rolle. The list goes on and on.
    Suggs’s stats might not be pretty, but that’s why you don’t play football with stats. He was the only person besides Ray Lewis who showed up on Sundays constantly. You never knew who else was going to be there. Even reliable Derrick Mason had one off game last year.
    And anyone claiming anything MIKE PRESTON says has value… needs to research and find out just how big of a joke the guy really is.

24. ItalianArmyGuy says: May 15, 2010 11:29 PM

@GR – “Patriots play off record 19-4!”
    ==================
    Hilarious. Way to re-write history. Your Patsie team is 21-14 all-time in playoff games, and has lost the 2nd most Super Bowls of all teams (tied with the Dolphins and others with 3 losses)

25. 90ragtop says: May 15, 2010 11:41 PM

Clearly, Terrell Suggs has mastered the JaMarcus Russell method of contract negotiation.

26. Reedhof20 says: May 15, 2010 11:52 PM

@ August
    “and thats why they have the best longevity over the past 10 years”. It is impossible to have the “best” longevity. Longevity is quantitative, not qualitative. They can have the “most”, but not the best. Additionally, to have longevity over 10 years is contradictory. 10 years is not long enough to have longevity. Just another example of a pathetic Pats fan trying to stretch 10 years of winning into 4 decades of mediocrity. Your team is as done as your Baseball team – yeah the ones who the up-and-coming Baltimore Baseball team just swept. But Oh yeah, I forgot, you are probably another bandwagon fan living in Cleveland who has recieved too many death threats for rooting for the Steelers.

27. Jobin says: May 16, 2010 1:45 AM

Tough to get pressure when you have no one to cover the other team’s receivers. Ravens need help in that secondary with the exception of Ed Reed that unit is lacking. If they can get better play out of their corners this year then the Ravens are scary good although losing Rex Ryan has hurt them…he’s a cocky bastard but the aggressive scheming was missing last year. It will be interesting to see if they can use Kindle effectively to generate pressure too, I like that pick and Mount Cody might make an already stout D-Line even better if he keeps his weight down. I’m not a Ravens fan but this team made some nice moves this offseason but they didn’t address their corner situation and that’s a problem. Playing the Bengals will be a good game but a tough match up for the Ravens, the Bengals added to their receiving corps and these two teams will almost undoubtedly be the standouts in the AFC North. Pittsburgh would be in the mix but not having their QB for at least the first four games probably means they don’t win the division.

28. Shalhoub66 says: May 16, 2010 4:05 AM

# Slow Joe says: May 15, 2010 10:08 PM
    ———————————
    hes joking right.

29. Calir says: May 16, 2010 4:25 AM

You give an NFL player 38 mill guaranteed and expect him to give a hoot? Silly wabbit.

30. Michael LaRocca says: May 16, 2010 8:18 AM

I hope it isn’t lethargy addiction.

31. GRpatriot says: May 16, 2010 9:14 AM

The record I sighted 19-4 has been thier record since the “Browns, moved to Baltimore!” I thought that was fair. Apples to apples comparison. I mean this is a post about the Ravens. No? Cabish?
    Most of those losses came after the SuperBowl runs! Maybe, I could’ve said “The Brady era!”
    Back to back 3 out of 4 seems pretty impressive to me! Only happened once in the modern salary cap error! Team of the Decade!
    I didn’t know there was an Italian Army? Who’s the General, El Duce? What’s thier record???

32. Laxer37 says: May 16, 2010 9:26 AM

Give the guy a break for being un-motivated, the guy lives in Baltimore for god’s sake!
    Last time I was in that city I saw a rat the size of golden retriever walking down the street. Most alarming… none of the locals I was with thought it was out of the ordinary.

33. JPerkVA says: May 16, 2010 9:59 AM

I was less than impressed with Suggs’ offseason work ethic last year but you are blind if you can’t see how talented he actually is. I think he was ashamed of his play last year, imo. While he was great against the run, he knows his main job is to rush the passer and it just didn’t happen last season. You also have to point out that Suggs’ sack numbers have also dropped over the last few seasons as he has become a more complete player and had other assignments besides rushing the passer. He is a very versatile player within Baltimore’s defense and I hope he comes out like a man possessed bc if so…It could get ugly for OTs he’ll line up against this season.

34. Coach Ripper says: May 16, 2010 9:59 AM

Suggs should use the Chris Johnson strategy: Hold out until management agrees to tear up his contract and write a new one reflecting his latest stats! After all, you can’t expect a player to play for last year’s contract money when his performance has clearly failed to match the contract. Suggs… demand they rewrite your contract and pay you less! It’s the fair thing to do.

35. bh103 says: May 16, 2010 11:16 AM

Big guaranteed money takes away the motivation of a player. Does he care?

36. smithopher says: May 16, 2010 11:18 AM

I’m sorry but Suggs was a beast, and I fully expect him to return to that form this year. Bad seasons happen. It’s not like this guy hasn’t produced in the past where his talent is in question. This guy can play. He just needs to take his conditioning seriously and get his ass in shape.

37. FumbleNuts says: May 16, 2010 1:12 PM

Maybe he can start making “Clorox Bleach ” commercials?

38. HamBurghlar says: May 16, 2010 2:03 PM

Looks like he may have ingested some of the bleach that he threw that didn’t get on his baby mama.. Stay classy!

39. football genius says: May 16, 2010 2:24 PM

Tom Brady pees in his pants a little every time he sees Suggs

40. QJ1984 says: May 16, 2010 2:28 PM

@habibfromnewdelhi
    I didnt know having the 3rd ranked defense was a disappointment. Whoever ranked 10th overall must be in need of a complete makeover.
    Every defense has its weaknesses and based on the numbers the Ravens covered theirs better than 30 other teams. Thats hardly disappointing.

41. QB or not QB says: May 16, 2010 10:18 PM

Laxer37 says:
    May 16, 2010 9:26 AM
    ————————————————–
    Duh!! Now I know why they are called the RatBirds. Even still, that is probably better than being called the Brown Stains.

42. ItalianArmyGuy says: May 16, 2010 11:00 PM

GRpatriot says: May 16, 2010 9:14 AM
    ========================
    Typical Patsie fan. You ignored the fact that outside of the SpyGate era, the Patsies are 2-10 in the playoffs