Hardesty impresses with his smarts

It’s often said that running back is the easiest position to transition to at the pro level.

If you get a reasonably football smart player, instincts can do the rest.  Browns coach Eric Mangini says his second round pick Montario Hardesty has the brains.

“Some guys couldn’t get the answers,” Mangini said about his rookie minicamp pop quiz questions. “Whenever they
couldn’t get an answer, [Hardesty] had his hand in the air. He knew the
answer. And it was on a range of different things.  You could tell he was constantly paying attention, constantly taking
notes.”

Mangini is also impressed with Hardesty’s physical presence.

“He’s pretty well slapped together. He’s in that 225 to
230 range, I think,” Mangini said.

We already loved Hardesty as a fantasy league value pick, but Mangini could have ulterior motives with all this praise.  Jerome Harrison, an unsigned restricted free agent, is planning to skip OTAs in hopes of a new contract.

The more praise Harrison hears about Hardesty, the more uncomfortable he may feel about skipping work.

(Now excuse me — time to get myself pretty well slapped together.)

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Hardesty impresses with his smarts”
  1. GirthyOne says: May 16, 2010 11:25 AM

Harrison certainly doesn’t have the right advice or isn’t thinking clearly.
    Jerome, I own you in two fantasy leagues. Please don’t lose your job by default by not showing up for work. Show up and try to work it out. After they drafted a guy to job share with you isn’t the time to make demands, it’s the time to get to work.

2. GirthyOne says: May 16, 2010 11:26 AM

“He’s pretty well slapped together. He’s in that 225 to 230 range, I think,” Mangini said.
    I guess it’s not shocking that he doesn’t actually know. After all, Magina is a douche.

3. GoBrowns19 says: May 16, 2010 11:26 AM

Harrison is taking some bad advice. He’s had 4 good games as a pro…all at the end of last season. And now he’s acting like god? The guy gets hurt every season, you can’t give him the long term deal for big money he’s looking for…AFTER FOUR GOOD GAMES IN 4 SEASONS!

4. Child_Please! says: May 16, 2010 11:58 AM

So Mangueeny thinks Hardesty is “pretty well slapped together”?
    Montario, dont drop the soap when Manqueeny is around.
    Now I know why most Browns fans love their head coach……..queenies have each others back

5. CKL says: May 16, 2010 12:05 PM

Methinks anyone who’s had even a modicum of success thinks that this may be the last year to “cash” in…not knowing what 2011 may bring CBA wise or strike/lockout wise. Still the dude should just show up and play ball . It’s not like he’s Chris Johnson or anything…and I don’t even agree with what CJ is doing either.
    All I have read on Hardesty is pretty good and character wise too. It sounds like the Browns may have gotten a nice sleeper pick there.

6. AirAl says: May 16, 2010 12:14 PM

GirthyOne, bring some intelligent backup to that flippant opinion, if possible. Mangini inherited a team devoid of talent, particularly at QB. You can’t win without a QB. The Jets’ 2008 collapse when Favre’s arm got hurt is proof of that, as if anyone needed any. Of the 93 guys in Browns camp right now, 75 weren’t here in 2008. Nice work, Phil Savage.
    I can’t understand the hate leveled at Mangini. It’s foolish really. The guy’s just trying to coach football.

7. Advo says: May 16, 2010 12:25 PM

Hmm, maybe Holmgren has learned something and will draft better than he did in Seattle.
    He did draft Shaun Alexander, though , so we can assume that he can spot a running back with talent.

8. BBB82 says: May 16, 2010 12:46 PM

I’m a big fan of Harrison, but those last three games he carried the ball 34, 39, and 33 times. Just about any RB that gets that many carries is going to put up good numbers.

9. BuckyBadger says: May 16, 2010 12:56 PM

I don’t want to hear about coaches praising an athlete about being smart after how everyone seemed to have shied away from Myron Rolle for being truly intelligent.

10. DB26 says: May 16, 2010 12:56 PM

@Child_Please!
    Seems you know an awful lot about the gay side of life. Probably been purposely dropping soap in Lebanon Correctional so all them Bengals can get up in that swampy spread of yours!
    Anal cavity…. Insert Douche bottle.

11. FumbleNuts says: May 16, 2010 1:03 PM

Bottom Line: Harrison needs to get his ass to work!

12. GirthyOne says: May 16, 2010 1:07 PM

AirAl says:
    May 16, 2010 12:14 PM
    ——————–
    AirAl, I didn’t equate his losing with being a douche. I equate his being a dickhead with being a douche. Weren’t you paying attention when he forced the rookies to attend the camp on the, what 10 hour bus ride? If I need to list his faults, then you clearly aren’t paying attention. Not that I really give a rats ass about him, he’s a douche.
    You blast Phil Savage without any backup. Savage made some really nice picks in the drafts. Maybe his coaching choices sucked (which they did). Some nice acquisitions during that time too in Free Agency.
    He did draft Braylon Edwards, Kamerion Wimbley, D’Qwell Jackson, Jerome Harrison, Joe Thomas, Eric Wright, Brodney Poole. Also acquired Leigh Bodden and Shaun Rodgers (not sure on Rodgers who got him), plus the rest of the OL, which is a good line. A couple of his players are starting on other teams. That’s bad. What happened to Derrick Anderson, I have no idea. I’ll blame the coaching.

13. Fonetik says: May 16, 2010 1:29 PM

“(Now excuse me — time to get myself pretty well slapped together.)”
    No no no Florio, I’m not taking that bait. Nice try, sir.

14. Child_Please! says: May 16, 2010 1:33 PM

@db26;
    Thanks for proving my assertion correct.
    Those who reply to the comment I left have finally come out of the closet. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Queeny
    LMAO!!!!!!

15. funi says: May 16, 2010 2:42 PM

Eric Mangini: Who is worse team in AFC North?
    Montario Hardesty: The Browns
    Eric Mangini: Who is worse team in AFC?
    Hardesty: The Browns
    Mangini: Who is one of the worse teams in the NFL?
    Hardesty: The Browns
    Mangini: WHo is the most overrated coach in the NFL?
    Hardesty: Rex Ryan!
    Mangini: You are correct on all of them!

16. HBOilers24 says: May 16, 2010 3:18 PM

@GirthyOne:
    He did draft:
    Braylon Edwards- not with the team anymore. 1 good season and a TON of drops. a headcase.
    Kamerion Wimbley- 1 good season 4 years ago
    D’Qwell Jackson- solid player. makes a ton of tackles but not a ton of plays (there is a difference)
    Jerome Harrison – 4 years, only 5 good games
    Joe Thomas- elite tackle so he got that one right
    Eric Wright- solid starter so again he landed it
    Brodney Poole- meh, he was ok. nothing special
    Leigh Bodden- rookie season was great but what has he done since?
    Shaun Rodgers – a great performance last season now lets see if he can do it again
    plus the rest of the OL, which is a good line. – the left side is very good, the right side has been horrible. its not a good line with savage players.
    What happened to Derrick Anderson, I have no idea. I’ll blame the coaching. – DA was a flash in the pan. he came out of left field and once teams saw enough film he couldnt do anything but throw picks. how is that coaching?

17. dbbrowns says: May 16, 2010 8:15 PM

Hardesty is going to make a huge impression
    on the season . Everything starts with hard work .
    And this only shows he making the steps and he wants to become a great NFL player. This year should be exciting, the year of the difference .
    First step, to making a push .

18. trickbunny says: May 18, 2010 12:18 PM

GirthyOne says:
    May 16, 2010 11:26 AM
    ————————————————-
    Yeah… what, maybe 100 guys running around camp? And Mangini doesn’t know the exact weight of each guy? Wow, that’s worse than being Hitler!
    Insult teams who aren’t your own all ya want. But for God’s sake, come up with something better than “So and so is a douche because he’s not sure of some rookie’s exact weight”. You’re really reaching there, Girthy Butt. It reminds me of some comic book geek complaining that Superman’s belt looked different than it’s supposed to in one frame. (Said in a mock, flustered, lispy, nerd-type voice), “Oh my God, I can’t believe Mangini doesn’t know Hardesty’s exact weight! The council of elders will hear about this!” BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA …..