Tebow starts fourth on the depth chart

Veteran Broncos PR VP Jim Saccomano wrote Monday that he hasn’t seen interest in OTAs this crazy since John Elway was a rookie.

Tim Tebow is the reason for all the attention, but in some ways he’s just like any other rookie beginning his first practices with NFL veterans.

As Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post points out, Tebow is fourth in line for quarterback reps behind Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, and forgotten man Tom Brandstater.  (We’ve consistently heard good things about Brandstater, but it’s hard to see where he fits now.)

Finding enough snaps for all of the Denver quarterbacks will be a challenge for coach Josh McDaniels throughout the offseason.  We’re sure he’d call it a good problem to have.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Tebow starts fourth on the depth chart”
  1. BigBlueDeadHead says: May 17, 2010 2:03 PM

RE: (We’ve consistently heard good things about Brandstater, but it’s hard to see where he fits now.)
    * * * * * * *
    Why? It’s common enough to carry 3 QB’s and certainly at least to carry a 3rd on the practice squad. So once they cut Brady Quinn’s sorry ass they will be set at the position.

2. stephen8 says: May 17, 2010 2:03 PM

tebow better play this year,orton is not the answer obviously

3. Ed1027 says: May 17, 2010 2:08 PM

And thats where he stays!

4. Catamount says: May 17, 2010 2:10 PM

He should.

5. Hosstyle In Tampa says: May 17, 2010 2:12 PM

…and Raheem Morris is supposed to be the guy that is “in over his head”? LOL…give me a break…

6. NashvilleSeahawk says: May 17, 2010 2:12 PM

I would take Brady Quinn over the supposed Second Coming any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

7. SoFlaTrojan says: May 17, 2010 2:13 PM

How is this a good problem to have? They are obviously not happy with Orton and they have 3 stiffs behind them.

8. lurch says: May 17, 2010 2:16 PM

Hopefully he stayes there. Where is he at on the TE or FB depth chart?

9. milehiclown says: May 17, 2010 2:16 PM

See everybody? Tebow is ALREAD A BUST. I mean, he’s FOURTH on the depth chart. [EYE ROLL]

10. prophet of the light says: May 17, 2010 2:19 PM

Not news really. Tebow has a lot to learn in terms of what McDaniels’ system and such. It’ll only be news if he’s still there come week six.
    Brandstater drew LOTS of Tom Brady comparisons due to his scouting evaluations, draft position, and overall feeling. I wouldn’t be shocked if a team comes up with a mid round pick for him al a Charlie Whitehurst.

11. BroncosfanBR says: May 17, 2010 2:21 PM

Orton played well last year, the whole offense sputtered down the stretch after the injury to Ryan Harris.
    I believe that if Orton performs well this year the Broncos may have an issue next off-season.
    I believe the only true way to make all parties happy is to trade Orton and have Quinn start with Tebow ready to take over if he fails.
    Putting another season in Orton’s hands will just hinder our ability to see what we have with Tebow/Quinn/Brandstater.

12. Ballinmore says: May 17, 2010 2:24 PM

I hope Brady and his partner didn’t buy a place in Denver just yet.

13. Steeler4life says: May 17, 2010 2:24 PM

tebow is an H-back

14. jlbay says: May 17, 2010 2:25 PM

Wow Tebow is starting out as the 4th QB on the depth chart . . . that is hardly shocking news . . . he will get promoted to 3rd once the Broncos get rid of either Quinn or Brandstater . . . then due to how much of a draft day over reach he was will eventually be bumped up to 2nd on the depth chart (even though he won’t deserve it) . . . then due to the combination of his draft position and McDaniels preference to start players he likes (versus who is the best skilled) he will be elevated to starter next season . . . 2 to 3 years later he will go the same way as Quinn – FIRST ROUND BUST.

15. Randy S says: May 17, 2010 2:33 PM

Depth Chart will be:
    Quinn-starter (for this year)
    Brandstater-backup
    Tebow-3rd, but will be used a lot in goaline, and situational downs.

16. Bech72 says: May 17, 2010 2:34 PM

Brandstater does look like the odd man out; once he hits the streets, he’ll be the former AFCW QB that I’d love to see the Bengals pick up, not the guy who could take the title of “Pillsbury Throw Boy” away from Jared Lorenzen without much of a fight (and knowing what we know about Russell, he most likely wouldn’t put much into it).

17. shaunypoo says: May 17, 2010 2:35 PM

Isn’t Orton 29-19 as a starter? I think that is pretty good, and most of those wins came in Chicago, where he didn’t exactly have a receiving corp to light it up with. He is a good general, just not a superstar. Teams could do alot worse than Orton as a starter.

18. 12greaterthan4 says: May 17, 2010 2:36 PM

@broncosfanBR
    im sure you wont have the problem with dealing with what to do with orton if he throws 35 tds and 3500 yards. Without the marshall in town its more realistic to think, what should we do with orton if he throws 20 tds and has 2500 yards.

19. PittsburghSteelerz says: May 17, 2010 2:37 PM

“If Orton throws for 3500 yars and 35 TD’s do they re-sign him to a blockbuster contract or let him walk for nothing?”
    ——-
    Orton may have a solid year, but that’s as unlikely as Brett Favre playing till he 50… My money would be on Favre.

20. Dewey Axewoond says: May 17, 2010 2:43 PM

Combined, the four of ‘em aren’t fit to check Jay Cutler’s bloodsugar.
    Yep.

21. CleanSlaton says: May 17, 2010 2:44 PM

The Broncos should sign another QB so that Tebow would be 5th on the depth chart.
    Tebow sucks.

22. Zane says: May 17, 2010 2:49 PM

If I was a betting man, I’d put money on Quinn being let go before Brandstater. Brandstater is green as hell but he has a rifle of an arm.

23. jibfest says: May 17, 2010 2:55 PM

–Don’t worry, Orton isn’t putting up 35 TD’s.

24. mwcarolina says: May 17, 2010 2:59 PM

“And thats where he stays”
    That’s where you are wrong! you dont draft a QB in round one to have him as your 4th guy, he will likely beat out Brandaster, but NOT Orton or Quinn. Likely Orton starts, gets hurt and Quinn takes over for 2 years, then Tebow takes the job.

25. myeaglescantwin says: May 17, 2010 3:11 PM

Broncos Br..
    Orton with 35 tds ??? really?? what planet do you live on.
    Orton had a better crew last year and only had 22 tds. now 10 of them are in Miami..
    all 4 of their qbs wont reach 25 tds combined. I’m not against denver, i just have eyes..

26. jaxjaggywires says: May 17, 2010 3:15 PM

If McDaniels plans on using Tebow at all in a game, he has to be the #2 QB…#3 coming in before the 4th quarter means #s 1 and 2 can’t come back.

27. Howboutdemcowboys says: May 17, 2010 3:35 PM

# shaunypoo says: May 17, 2010 2:35 PM
    ——————————————————
    “pretty good”, “could do alot worse” is what most NFL teams are trying to avoid. This not a let’s do pretty good league. This is a win or get fired league.

28. insanity23mike says: May 17, 2010 3:39 PM

Russell gone
    Tebow arrive.
    AFC West keeps getting bust QBs
    remember Leaf?

29. Hatten says: May 17, 2010 3:41 PM

Look, I’m not real fond of the bible thumping ways of some, but really, why does everyone love to hate this guy? I don’t get it. He’s a frickin hard nosed guy who loves playing football. Who wouldn’t want their QB to get fired up and try to run over a linebacker from time to time? He can work hard and become a good QB or he could suck, but it’ll be fun to watch what happens either way.
    So, I’m not buying his jersey, but I’m not hating this guy either… someone explain to me why they hate this kid so much?

30. robert ethen says: May 17, 2010 3:42 PM

Orton gets no respect. After hearing about John Gruden and the other coaches helping out Tim Tebow, he sent them some film of his own throwing motion.
    They referred him to a career counsellor.

31. Free Ryan Leaf says: May 17, 2010 3:43 PM

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 17, 2010 1:54 PM ET
    Veteran Broncos PR VP Jim Saccomano wrote Monday …

Jim, son of the legendary retailer Bob Saccomano, Sr.

32. lurch says: May 17, 2010 3:51 PM

I guess Tebow is the new Favre. Everything little possible detail about his career will turn into a story on here. Are you now going to go through and state where all the other first round draft picks are at on their respective depth charts?
    I still would like to know is spot on the TE or FB depth chart.

33. CanadianVikingFan says: May 17, 2010 3:57 PM

In an interview with Tim Tebow on the matter, Tim was quoted with this,
    “I thank God everyday for the chansthe to be the fourth sschtringer of the Denver Broncosthhs. It’sth a dream come true.”

34. rx says: May 17, 2010 4:02 PM

Wow, all the commenters on this site must work for NFL teams because they all seem to know alot about football and prognosticating the future.

35. robert ethen says: May 17, 2010 4:18 PM

Kyle Orton gets no respect. The other day he was at a bar chatting up an old couger. When she got up to use the washroom, he leaned over to the bartender and said, “Hey Bud, what you have back there to get me into this gal’s pants?”. Bartender took a long look at Orton, then handed him the baseball bat they keep under the bar for protection.

36. Biff Henderson says: May 17, 2010 4:27 PM

One thing I’ve always wanted to ask Tim Tebow about is this-
    I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
    How does he resolve this conflict…

37. ampats says: May 17, 2010 4:34 PM

Totally agree with you Hatten.
    True rx.
    CanadienVikingFan,
    keep your comments to something your socialist country knows something about, HOCKEY.
    eh !

38. Occam says: May 17, 2010 4:48 PM

The Book Of Denvelations, Chapter 3, Verse 8 sayeth: “Yeah, and on the third practice, Tebow shall rise up, and be third upon the depth chart, and the Quinns shall be casteth away, and the people shale dine upon granola.”

39. Biff Henderson says: May 17, 2010 4:59 PM

With money tight my vacation plans for the Great Barrier Reef aren’t panning out as planned.
    I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. Does Tebow know of anyone with experience in this matter? What should be the asking price of an unpure 26 year old with a sketchy food service industry background?

40. CanadianVikingFan says: May 17, 2010 5:12 PM

ampats
    Why is it that Americans always bring that up? Perhaps I should bring up the fact you are fat and stupid.

41. gogobox says: May 17, 2010 5:37 PM

The Bills Coaching staff should be camped out front of that facility handing out ribs n wings…..
    For a ANY BRONCO QB.

42. ampats says: May 17, 2010 5:41 PM

CanadaVikfan,
    Bitter because everybody knew that your HC Colonel Klink(love that reference, thanks JimmySmith) was going to draft Tebow and JM outmaneuvered the Vikings for him which is why they traded out of the first round?
    I am pro choice ,hate bible thumpers and people who post proverbs on this site but leave the kid alone. He loves football !!

43. Contra says: May 17, 2010 5:43 PM

Dont be surprised if QB 1, 2, and 3 are mysteriously struck by lightning.

44. bgrubb7 says: May 17, 2010 5:59 PM

I thought the rule stated that if the No.3 QB enters the game, the No.1 QB may not return. If Tebow is going to come in he either needs to be listed as the No. 2 or at a different position. I remember this being a topic of discussion around here during Vince Young’s rookie year. Maybe Florio can comment or clear it up.
    How did Eagles handle this last year? Was Vick listed as the No.2 & Kolb No.3?

45. Brewster says: May 17, 2010 6:15 PM

How can you not love this website? Where else can you find such cutting humor?
    ____
    # Biff Henderson says: May 17, 2010 4:59 PM
    _______________
    That is hilarious.
    ________________
    # CanadianVikingFan says: May 17, 2010 5:12 PM
    ampats
    ____________
    Very funny comeback.
    ______________
    But perhaps the funniest comment on this thread is this one:
    ampats says: May 17, 2010 5:41 PM
    CanadaVikfan,
    _______________
    The only person Josh McDaniels has ever outmaneuvered is Pat Bowlen (and Joe Ellis) when he was hired for the HC position in Denver with no actual experience and no previous accomplishments. He’s earning $2mil a year and is a one man wrecking crew.
    ________
    And perhaps the best one:
    BroncosfanBR says: May 17, 2010 2:21 PM
    _____________
    Yes, that will surely happen, the same year pigs fly over the skies of every NFL stadium on opening day.
    Maybe elephants will fly too and Orton will throw for 70 TD’s and 7000 yards. Damn how many bubble screens will that take?
    Orton actually could throw for 3500 yards on a team with decent WR’s and an OC who knew how to call plays, but that isn’t McDaniels. It aint happening in Denver while Mcdoofus is around.

46. rusH1023 says: May 17, 2010 6:22 PM

shaunypoo says:
    _______________________________________
    I hate the Donks, but this is a very salient and very often overlooked statement.

47. Richard says: May 17, 2010 6:38 PM

Here’s my take… Quinn certainly did not benefit from the Browns and now has the real opportunity to flourish with the Broncos. Though I have nothing against Tebow, he has nothing over Quinn. That said here’s what I would do: Trade Orton to fill whatever immediate need the team has; start the season with Quinn as the QB, Tebow 2nd and Brandstater 3rd. I really believe that Quinn in the long run is the better choice and can be successful. Sign Tebow as insurance (and as an opportunity to grow).

48. Mean D says: May 17, 2010 6:48 PM

Hey Tebow haters! He went in the first round. Get over it and get a life. No FSU Seminole will go in the 1st round in the next 30 years.

49. Deb says: May 17, 2010 7:08 PM

Gregg, do you just have a completely different football philosophy than Florio, or what? Mike has told us ad nauseum that having four QBs to prep must be a nightmare for Mike Tomlin. But here you are telling us what a “good problem” it is for McDaniels. You’d almost think someone was pot-stirring in Pittsburgh ;)
    As for the feast or famine, I’d say you fellas have it backward. Tomlin’s sitting pretty because he knows exactly who’s starting come week 5. Until then, he has talented subs and I expect he’s already ranked them. But McDaniels?
    He’s got four promising guys but no stars. And that promise didn’t come cheap. Pining away for Cassel cost him Cutler. I don’t like Cutler, but he was a Pro Bowl QB. Orton had a good start last season, but first bringing in Quinn, then moving up to draft Tebow … that tells Orton he’s not THE man–which is no way to build his confidence. Tebow cost a first-round draft pick and McDaniels may get no more in return than a wildcat specialist. Brandstater is the odd man out and will be lucky to stay on the roster. McDaniels has bitten off a lot. It will be interesting to see how he chews it.

50. CanadianVikingFan says: May 17, 2010 7:12 PM

ampats
    you got it all wrong, I think the kid is great, I was hoping for him to be a Vike, but I can still make fun of him. Hell I make fun of the Vikings.

51. bronco_TD says: May 17, 2010 7:14 PM

@Biff Henderson
    Since footballs are made out of leather I don’t see a conflict.

52. Biff Henderson says: May 17, 2010 8:45 PM

Thanks bronco_TD. Seems I am the victim of a disinformation campaign from that Hamas website.

53. Lance19 says: May 19, 2010 12:00 AM

Someone asked about all the hate for Tebow.
    Personally, I don’t hate the guy. But I’m also
    already sick of the guy. Most analysts had this
    guy rated far below first round QB status.
    But on ESPN’s “NFL Live” for instance, before
    and after the draft it was all-Tebow, all the time.
    We get it: Tebow’s uber-Christian. He loves Jesus
    in a way you just never could, and he’s wonderful
    enough to have eluded evil Filipino abortion doctors.
    But some of us don’t care.
    ESPN ignored dozens of better players
    to show us 20 clips–virtually every day–of Tebow
    “now holding the ball slightly higher!!!”
    “More Tebow after these messages…”
    No, how ’bout letting Tebow EARN non-stop coverage…?