Ted Ginn starts in San Francisco like he left off in Miami

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, Dolphins fans.

Ted Ginn opened some eyes at San Francisco’s OTAs on Monday with his “gazelle-like” speed.  And then he caused some head-shaking with a series of drops.

“You’ve got to shake it off,” Ginn told Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News.  “You’ve got to treat it like a [defensive back] when he gets scored on.
You can’t tank. They’re going to happen and you just can’t have that
many.”

Ginn should only be a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver in San Francisco, but the 49ers are hoping he can upgrade their punt return position. He dropped a punt too.

We feel for Ginn because he seems to have the right attitude and is a hard worker.  But he must know the long leash he was given in Miami will be much shorter in San Francisco, should these drops carry over into the regular season.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Ted Ginn starts in San Francisco like he left off in Miami”
  1. McBomb says: May 18, 2010 12:20 PM

As a Dolphins fan, I must say that this news of him dropping passes is shocking. Absolutely shocking…
    Now when he gets in games and runs out of bounds at the 15 yard line on kickoff returns the circle will be complete.

2. DolFan Dan says: May 18, 2010 12:22 PM

I hate to root against an individual, but as a Dolphins fan I can’t help but take some satisfaction when I read this.

3. KnuckleBucket says: May 18, 2010 12:24 PM

Butterfingers!

4. Colts18 says: May 18, 2010 12:24 PM

Singletary will shape him up or ship him out

5. Poo Flinging Monkey says: May 18, 2010 12:25 PM

Phone calls for a response from Ginn were unsuccessful, as he continuously dropped the phone.

6. dustindmw says: May 18, 2010 12:26 PM

Unfortunate that this kid cannot get it together with his hands, seems like a nice enough guy.

7. overkil2 says: May 18, 2010 12:26 PM

Lol, Thanks again Cam Cameron. Assclown.
    At least we got a 5th for this guy. He’s a good kid, but can’t fricken even catch a cold in a blizzard.

8. Dolphinatic says: May 18, 2010 12:28 PM

Fastest water boy in the NFL.

9. robert ethen says: May 18, 2010 12:28 PM

“You’ve got to shake it off”, Ted Ginn told reporters in Winnipeg, Manitoba, after his dropped passes cost that CFL team another game.

10. Worst Poster Ever says: May 18, 2010 12:30 PM

Ted Ginn dropping passes? But he’s so fast!

11. irishgary says: May 18, 2010 12:32 PM

Another overrated player out of ohio st.

12. Black QB White RB says: May 18, 2010 12:33 PM

He’s just so damn fast….if only his hands weren’t bricks!!

13. DB26 says: May 18, 2010 12:34 PM

I wish Cleveland would have been smart, brought him home, and converted him back to a DB. Don’t have to worry about the drops as much in that category.

14. bigbadburnsy says: May 18, 2010 12:35 PM

Hope the 9ers cut Ginn. Not cause I dont like the guy, but because he’d look a lot better in Chargers powder blue. I’m sure the boys in SD could get this guys problems sorted out, and imagine him and Rivers on the deep ball… (if he could catch it that is)

15. Fins4ever1960 says: May 18, 2010 12:39 PM

I was coaching an AAU basketball game when my buddy came behind the bench and whispered to me that my Dolphins used their top ten pick on Ted Ginn.
    I had to call a timeout to sit down before I fell over and croaked right there on the court.
    SF, he’s all yours now. I’ve officially let go.

16. hnirobert says: May 18, 2010 12:40 PM

Remember when San Fran’s were happy about this trade? Get ready to cry when he starts costing you games with his drops in the endzone.

17. BrownsClown says: May 18, 2010 12:41 PM

What do you expect? When he was in college his hero was Braylon “hands of stone” Edwards!
    Between the two of them they couldn’t catch a cold, bus or taxi given three tries, let alone a football!

18. green man says: May 18, 2010 12:41 PM

Ted Ginn should give half of his salary to Devin Hester, the only reason this cat was drafted so high was the 2005/2006 Hester hangover.

19. steelerdynasty says: May 18, 2010 12:42 PM

gee, another skill position flop from The Ohio State….color me surprised!

20. EskinSux says: May 18, 2010 12:45 PM

See the ball…
    Catch the ball…
    It’s really not that complicated

21. ebr362 says: May 18, 2010 12:48 PM

Gotta feel sorry for Ginn. I am a Dolphin fan and this poor guy had the deck stacked against him from day 1! He didn’t ask to be drafted so high up and he always carried himself with class with all the scrutiny during his time with the team. I will always give him the benefit of the doubt simply because of his 2 td returns to beat the loudmouth jets.

22. Raider B says: May 18, 2010 12:49 PM

@ bigbadburnsy
    No one looks good in powder blue. Those got to be the gayest jerseys in the NFL! It fits with your gay theme song. Super Chargers! LMFAO!

23. tomcous says: May 18, 2010 12:49 PM

I loved the pick of Ted Ginn for the Dolphins #9 of the first round. I’m sure the rest of the fans from the other fellow AFC East teams did as well !!! … LOL!

24. 305phinphan says: May 18, 2010 12:53 PM

Ginn’s a good guy and as a Dolphin fan I hope he succeeds but if he can’t stay consistent catching the ball by now I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. I still think the 49ers got a good deal in the trade but they shouldn’t expect much from him in the WR dept. Just let him do what he does best and leave him at KR/PR.

25. thereallacardsfan says: May 18, 2010 12:57 PM

Probably pretty tough to catch a wobbly under thrown ball from Smith…

26. Greenantz says: May 18, 2010 12:57 PM

Did he pull up Lame in the National Championship game against Florida after returning a kick off to the house. Then everyone in the stadium took turns sacking Troy Smith.

27. 8man says: May 18, 2010 12:58 PM

Fast forward to September 26th, 2010.
    Ted Robinson:
    Smith throws downfield. Ginn has some separation at the Chiefs 25. And through his hands….
    Gary Plummer:
    Ohhh! Oh no he didn’t.
    Ted Robinson:
    Dropped! Gary, it looked like it bounced right off of his hands. Ginn had six if he could have held on. Now 4th and 6 and the Niners will be punting again…..

28. Mean D says: May 18, 2010 12:58 PM

He is still better than Michael Clayton.

29. Dewey Axewoond says: May 18, 2010 12:58 PM

He should NOT drop it like it’s NOT hot.

30. sguy2130 says: May 18, 2010 12:58 PM

It’s not Ginn’s fault the Dolphins drafted him way too high. I’m an Ohio State fan and I was shocked they took him at No. 9 overall, I saw him as a late 1st rounder. Blame your old FO Fish fans, though at least they were smart enough not to take Quinn.

31. BigDawg says: May 18, 2010 1:04 PM

Two words for you! ALvin Harper!

32. Muck says: May 18, 2010 1:05 PM

Ironically, the one thing he had going for him the first 1.5 seasons in Miami were his hands. He flashed some solid mitts to start his career.
    I’m not sure what happened, but midway thru 2008 was when the drops started.

33. NFCEast'er says: May 18, 2010 1:06 PM

Jeez. 9th overall pick. I think this was the year before Parcells took over. This got to be the reason they brought Tuna in. You know Big Bill had to have the axe in hand as he walked through the door with one eye on Ginn.

34. Fins4ever1960 says: May 18, 2010 1:06 PM

I was coaching an AAU basketball game when my buddy came behind the bench and whispered to me that my Dolphins drafted Randall “Thrill” Hill, errr, I mean Ted Ginn Jr.
    I had to call a timeout and sit down because I almost croaked on the court.
    I’m happy they got a 5th round pick for him, and I’ve officially let it go.
    Unfortunately, I have a familiar pit in my gut regarding Pat White. Most accounts “credit” Jeff Ireland overruling Big Bill on this one.
    I’d gladly take a 5th again.

35. MikeFlorioIsMyBitch says: May 18, 2010 1:07 PM

He didnt have the “dropsies” at Ohio St…..It must be the pressure that started this and now it is in his head.

36. robert ethen says: May 18, 2010 1:07 PM

Ted Ginn Jr. has “gazelle like” hands and really good speed.

37. rough_cutter says: May 18, 2010 1:10 PM

haa dropped the phone. good one

38. itshollywood says: May 18, 2010 1:24 PM

maybe they can make a move for troy williamson and they can have the all track-star recieving tandem… with balls bouncing off helmets everywhere.

39. BenRapistberger says: May 18, 2010 1:26 PM

Maybe he should take his comment about treating it like a defensive back a step further, and become one.

40. DocBG says: May 18, 2010 1:35 PM

why the hell not stick him in the defensive backfield? if he’s got the speed but not the hands, that seems like a natural position for him.

41. mqmorasch says: May 18, 2010 1:36 PM

A faster version of Dwayne Bowe

42. SinePari says: May 18, 2010 1:39 PM

He will get you the fastest 8 yards on a third and 9, before you runs out of bounds to avoid getting hit! He still may be a nice guy though.

43. Rockymtnphinfan says: May 18, 2010 1:45 PM

I wonder if the Ginn family was present, since the 49′ers traded for them as well.
    Cam Cameron you are a douche bag in the biggest way possible.

44. jetboy says: May 18, 2010 1:48 PM

Ted Ginn starts in San Francisco like he left off in Miami
    with a dropped pass.

45. Jack Burton says: May 18, 2010 1:49 PM

Ginn reminds me of Clifford Franklin from The Replacements.
    “The football’s like a one-man cold to Clifford Franklin. Clifford Franklin’s the only man catchin’ it, Clifford Franklin’s the only man comin’ down wid it. “

46. Caryn says: May 18, 2010 2:07 PM

Maybe his father could catch some balls for him.
    Or possibly rotate the field so he has a harder time running out of bounds. Can’t wait to see him on TV dropping passes.

47. Dogsweat says: May 18, 2010 2:14 PM

Cam Cameron “Ted Ginn is a Miami Dolphin!”
    Brady Quinn or Ginn?

48. Bluestarbill says: May 18, 2010 2:24 PM

Some of you guys crack me up…Alvin Harper? Dwayne Bowe? Both those guys can/could catch!

49. sergep says: May 18, 2010 2:30 PM

he is just liket he 9ers always talk about a good start but later dissaper like the snuggie blanks.

50. Scurrilous says: May 18, 2010 2:42 PM

The DB thing isn’t really that big of a reach. When he was recruited to The Ohio State he came in as a QB/DB and was converted to a WR at OSU. The only problem I see is, he doesn’t want to get hit, what makes anyone think he would actually hit someone else.

51. SomeGuyInIowa says: May 18, 2010 2:45 PM

When the Ravens beat Miami, it seemed like the Ravens were doing it for Cameron, like some form of retribution. BUT HE WAS THE ONE THAT EFFED SO MUCH UP. Plus it was the Ravens that gave up the one win for Miami the other year. What was there to rally for anyways?
    Plus, Ted Ginn would be unstoppable…if someone told him the end zone was the out of bounds. The dude hates contact, which is weird since he *can* be good at returns.

52. Bite-me-Florio says: May 18, 2010 2:53 PM

Raider B says:
    May 18, 2010 12:49 PM
    @ bigbadburnsy
    Excuse me sir but I believe the North Carolina Tar Heels look damn good in powder blue. Just be glad your spewing that garbage on the west coast. If you were here you’d be stoned to death for sports blasphemy.

53. Bite-me-Florio says: May 18, 2010 2:57 PM

robert ethen says:
    May 18, 2010 1:07 PM
    Ted Ginn Jr. has “gazelle like” hands and really good speed.
    I actually laughed out loud at that one. Nice job sir.

54. Jaso says: May 18, 2010 3:09 PM

I heard that Al Davis guy likes fast receivers.

55. weeb_ewbank says: May 18, 2010 3:11 PM

Ginn can’t catch a cold UNLESS he’s playing against the Jets. Then apparently he can have, potentially, the two most memorable games of his career.

56. Jack Acid says: May 18, 2010 3:14 PM

Only thing I care about is his hands on kickoffs/punts.
    If he is slippery with those, he won’t have a role here by mid-season. We have a couple other young guys chomping at the bit to take over this kind of work.
    As Singletary says, we are NOT a charity!

57. NorthDolphan says: May 18, 2010 3:32 PM

Poor Ted. If he had been drafted somewhere out of the 1st round where he was projected to go we probably wouldn’t be making such a big deal of all this. On the other hand he wouldn’t have been given so many opportunities to fail if he wasn’t a 1st round pick.
    Once again the genius that is CaMORON is truly amazing.
    Thanks for beating the JETS last year Ted, good luck in SanFran.

58. overkil2 says: May 18, 2010 3:34 PM

This is what I don’t understand. You have a guy who has speed, but can’t catch consistently AND is afraid of contact. When he catches a ball he either falls down in the fetal position or run out of bounds really fast.
    How can you have this guy return punts? People are running at you full speed, you have to be able to judge whether to field the punt or call for a fair catch. That is just a disaster waiting to happen.

59. lifelongphinfan says: May 18, 2010 3:40 PM

when is someone going to try to convert this guy to a defensive back i know he wants to be a wr but his speed would be a great asset if he could make the switch

60. Raider B says: May 18, 2010 3:47 PM

@ Bite-me-Florio,
    technically the Tar Heels are LIGHT BLUE. Just be glad your spewing that garbage on the east coast cuz u will more than just stoned to death. Trust.

61. this class sucks says: May 18, 2010 3:48 PM

@overkil2
    Your logic would be sound if he hadn’t shown he was good at it.

62. txtumbleweed says: May 18, 2010 3:53 PM

Jerry Rice dropped lots of passes when he first started with the Niners and he turned out alright. All he has to do is stretch the field to open up Crabtree and Davis anyways. The Niners aren’t counting on him to be a number one guy and he is a great 5th round pick just for PR and KR. We got a bargain and it will payoff big dividends by the end of the season. So each your heart out Fins when you watch the hilites on monday.

63. SinePari says: May 18, 2010 4:00 PM

Embarrassing, I meant he runs out of bounds.

64. City_Native says: May 18, 2010 4:19 PM

To all the Dolphins fans . . .
    The Dolphins got Ginn:
    to be the premiere WR with the 9th OVERALL pick.
    The 49ers got Ginn:
    to be a KR/PR and maybe a 3rd/4th receiver for a 5th round pick.
    Do the math.

65. texasPHINSfan says: May 18, 2010 4:35 PM

LOL @ calling Ginn Clifford Franklin!

66. finsbooyah says: May 18, 2010 4:35 PM

Ginn is NOT a good punt returner. Kickoffs he can do. Punts, not a chance.
    However, SF got him for a 5th round pick to be the #3 or 4 WR and stretch the field. In Miami he had a ridiculous amount of pressure as the #9 overall pick by the Mastermind, Cam Cameron. Using this logic, he should succeed in SF :
    35 catches, 300 or so yards, with 3-4 TDs for the 49ers = success. Same numbers for the Dolphins = Massive failure

67. Tinbender says: May 18, 2010 7:49 PM

robert ethen says:
    May 18, 2010 1:07 PM
    Ted Ginn Jr. has “gazelle like” hands and really good speed.
    ————————————————–
    Now that’s flippin hilarious!

68. bill s says: May 18, 2010 11:56 PM

He didn’t seem to have trouble catching his pay check in Miami, perhaps SF should not pay him until he start catching a football. Bill p.s. he would be better playing baseball, less chance of getting hit. Wait, he could be hit by the ball, there’s the ball problem again.

69. Bious says: May 19, 2010 3:12 PM

Disappointed to hear this
    Players have gone on to improve their hands in the NFL and I thought Ginn would do that with a new enivorment and coaches
    If he can’t over-come this, his speed is rather irrelevant