Vernon Davis "not in a rush" to get a new contract

San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis, whose contract expires after 2010, is working on a new deal with the team. But he says he’s not in any hurry to get a new deal done.

I’m not in a rush to do anything,” Davis said Monday. “That’d be good, when I eventually sign my extension. It’s not something that’s heavy on my mind. I’m not really thinking about it at the moment.”

Davis, who will make a $5.7 million base salary in the final year of his rookie deal, is reportedly asking for a five-year, $40 million contract with $25 million guaranteed. If he’s unhappy with the pace of negotiations, he wasn’t showing it at Monday’s voluntary practice.

“I’m here because this is what I do,” Davis said.

Davis is coming off his best season, catching 78 passes for 965 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2009.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Vernon Davis "not in a rush" to get a new contract”
  1. jallen69 says: May 18, 2010 7:44 AM

It would be nice if every player took this approach! Way to man up Vernon and do your job.

2. NYMets says: May 18, 2010 7:58 AM

PFT — I love how you “journalists” can take nothing of a story and turn it into some really big news. You guys are regular propagandists. Maybe you’s could go work for Hugo Chavez. And bring that garden gnome Rosenthal with you.

3. GBP says: May 18, 2010 8:13 AM

Not in a rush because he was a bust.

4. Jack Burton says: May 18, 2010 8:14 AM

I wouldn’t have to worry much either if I was making nearly $6mil to play a game.

5. xltriton says: May 18, 2010 8:25 AM

He doesnt want to do anything … he is coming to Miami next year to play with Vontae!

6. thejudge301 says: May 18, 2010 8:55 AM

If every player had this mentality we would have Profootballtalk.com. Way to be a “normal” persone Vernon Davis and represent the great state of Maryland. Fear the Turtle!!!

7. Miller1282 says: May 18, 2010 9:00 AM

GBP, a bust??? Are you serious??? How many TE’s that are a bust catch 80 balls for almost 1000 yards and 13 TDs??? The man has been in the league 3 years and has had Shaun Hill and J.T. O’Sullivan under center for some of that time, with not to mention a washed up Trent Dilfer. THat doesn’t exaclty smell of Brees, Brady and Manning. I bet you think Brent Celek or Zach Miller are busts too. Go back to watching tennis…

8. WarrenMoonGOAT says: May 18, 2010 9:07 AM

@GBP
    how was he a bust? since he joined the 49ers they have never had a real QB

9. PersonalFoul says: May 18, 2010 10:08 AM

@gbp your post is a bust

10. KILLER FIN says: May 18, 2010 10:14 AM

If we have football next year, c’mon down to Miami & play on the same team as your brother!!! We’d love to have ya!!! GO FINS!!!

11. dlmcc0909 says: May 18, 2010 10:47 AM

This guy would put up some really crazy numbers if he had a decent QB. $25 million guaranteed seems a little steep but I guess we would have to compare what guys like Gates and Witten are getting. Not thathe is either of those two yet so I would imagine he should be making a little less

12. Merton Hanks says: May 18, 2010 10:57 AM

That “bust” tied the NFL record last year for touchdowns by a tight end.

13. finsbooyah says: May 18, 2010 11:09 AM

People also seem to forget that he’s one of the best blocking TE’s in the league. I would love him in Miami, but I doubt it’ll happen. SF is a team on the rise and know how good he is. They’d be dumb not to pay him

14. NinerNation says: May 18, 2010 12:42 PM

Vernon Davis will not be leaving the Niners, sorry Miami fans, but he will never play for your team.

15. Merton Hanks says: May 18, 2010 1:05 PM

It’s also quite the turnaround for a guy who used to openly whine when things weren’t going his way.
    Most guys who are looking for a new extension holdout during mandatory training camp, but he’s at day 1 of the voluntary OTAs. Great to see… he’s come a looooong way in 2 years.

16. this class sucks says: May 18, 2010 7:10 PM

@xltriton
    You keep thinking that. Ignore those things he says like “when I sign my extension.” Extension means…well maybe we are going to fast for you.