Favre talks comeback with Southern Miss baseball team

Today’s “will Brett Favre return or will he retire” story comes from Favre’s old friend Al Jones of the Biloxi Sun Herald, who passes along what Favre said in a visit with the Southern Mississippi baseball team.

Jones reports that after Favre addressed the team, an outfielder named Justin Diliberto asked, “Are you playing next season?” Diliberto said.

Favre responded that if Southern Miss made it back to the College World Series, he would return to the Vikings.

“I was a kid again watching y’all play in the College World Series,” Favre said. ”That was amazing. I don’t know — yet. . . . Let’s make a [fun] bet. If you guys go back to the College World Series this year — I will come back and play. How about that? You go back and I go back.”

Before he left the team, Favre mentioned the deal again.

“Guys, remember the bet,” he said. “Y’all go back and I go back. I promise, I will be keeping up with you. Good luck.”

So those who would like to know whether Favre will return would be wise to keep an eye on the Southern Miss baseball schedule.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Favre talks comeback with Southern Miss baseball team”
  1. vegassquire says: May 20, 2010 1:56 PM

This is my last “farve retire” comment ever….. It is bad enough we get these constantly on ESPN, that now we have to get it here also? If he shows up, he shows up, if he doesn’t he doesn’t. It is May, who cares? How many times can we do this rollercoaster…. we all know it stops at the gate and you get off.

2. robert ethen says: May 20, 2010 1:56 PM

Reportedly the team has already sold 47,000 tickets to it’s next game. Most of them to out of state fans.

3. irishgary says: May 20, 2010 1:58 PM

He promised? Yeah we all believe him too.

4. Florio-is-a-tool says: May 20, 2010 1:58 PM

Peter King has already sexted the star pitcher.

5. Contra says: May 20, 2010 1:58 PM

Really MDS, really? You fell for this?
    Favre is coming back. You really think he would leave it up to a college baseball team to decide whether or not he comes back for a multi-million dollar paycheck?
    Thats like saying “Folks, if Wrangler jeans experience the best sales record in Q2 then yes I will come back!” Of course he would want to promote Southern Miss baseball.
    Also, he didnt say “if you lose then I wont come back”.
    MDS…you just got Florio’d by Favre!

6. DocBG says: May 20, 2010 1:59 PM

he’s comming back, but wants to skip OTAs and training camp (fine by me)
    but he might be in a bit of trouble with this guarentee, because the world series begins in june for those guys……unless of course that means he wont have the ankle surgery until june, which will put him right on schedule.

7. TheToolofTools says: May 20, 2010 2:02 PM

“But if the sun comes up the next day, he may not return”.
    I’m trying to figure out if I hate this or the LeBrat James story worse now?

8. JimmySmith says: May 20, 2010 2:03 PM

I could eat 18 burritos and still don’t know if I could produce a bigger pile of s$it than this dumb ass story. First of all the credibility factor, this story suggests Favre’s motivation for a return rests solely on the performance of a college baseball team, ya, that makes perfect sense to me. If it’s true, it might save Chilly from having to run to the airport since that level of personal service (a complete lack of pride and self esteem might be a more apt description) is no longer necessary.
    If the story is true, Viking fans everywhere will have to wonder if Southern Miss is the Viking’s version of a college baseball team, get to the big game and then choke. Somewhere in a seedy gay bar, T Joke is reading the box scores.

9. Outfoxed says: May 20, 2010 2:04 PM

Can’t he just go away for good?

10. The Wishbone says: May 20, 2010 2:04 PM

He’s a psychopath.

11. scott says: May 20, 2010 2:07 PM

I completly agree wtih the first response. I didnt even read the Favre story because the headline was so pathetic. I borders on non news. this site is like US weekly in May.

12. jj jones says: May 20, 2010 2:07 PM

Can Favre be suspended for betting on baseball?

13. Pervy Harvin says: May 20, 2010 2:09 PM

Favre is coming back for SURE. He told one of my sources that beating the Packers twice was better than popping a nut.I’m sure he wants two more heavenly nuts….

14. shaggytoodle says: May 20, 2010 2:09 PM

This is just silly, he is willing to make a bet with a bunch of amatuer athletes. Maybe the NCAA should look into that, maybe they had dinner or something? For realsies though, why doesn’t he just come out and say yes I am playing, and no I am not doing that off season crap.

15. Catamount says: May 20, 2010 2:09 PM

Great physical talent, but stupidty and a partially hidden god complex. DocBG is right. Just wants $10 million for 20 weeks of work.

16. footballrulz says: May 20, 2010 2:09 PM

by 4:30 this afternoon this hits the top 10 most commented

17. Charles Wood says: May 20, 2010 2:09 PM

This guy is worse than the swine flu.

18. Boudin says: May 20, 2010 2:11 PM

y’all know he’s coming back, right? seriously, was there ever any doubt?

19. GBfanForever says: May 20, 2010 2:13 PM

Diva
    Diva
    Diva
    Diva
    Diva
    I am praying he comes back so AR can get his revenge!

20. MuskyHunter2542 says: May 20, 2010 2:14 PM

“This is not Detroit, man, this is the Super Bowl!”

21. poopytrails says: May 20, 2010 2:15 PM

poopytrails says whatever happened to free speech

22. Halasfan says: May 20, 2010 2:16 PM

This is probably a better method than he has used in the past. Despite everything, like hating the Packers and Viking, I would like to see him come back and play another year or three.
    Maybe he can learn to kick and play a few more years like George Blanda did. (and yes, I know Blanda was a kicker the whole time, he also played LB for Halas.)

23. Panda_Claus says: May 20, 2010 2:17 PM

Their record is something like 30-20, but also in the midst of a 3-game losing streak. Perhaps they think by losing out he’ll retire?

24. Larry David says: May 20, 2010 2:20 PM

25. Jeremy says: May 20, 2010 2:20 PM

Last year he (supposedly) came back because his daughter turned on the water works. This year it’s going to be because of a baseball team?
    Make up your own mind for once in your life!
    Or stop BSing everyone with these rediculous “reasons”.

26. GB3Pack4 says: May 20, 2010 2:20 PM

A bowling ball resting on a broomstraw

27. NFLWallpaperZone says: May 20, 2010 2:26 PM

Farve’s word is about as good as stock in BP oil these days…

28. Lex Luger says: May 20, 2010 2:27 PM

He has a contract. He will get paid lots of moneyz if he goes back.
    He will go back.

29. robert ethen says: May 20, 2010 2:28 PM

Joe Mauer has enrolled as a part time student on his off days, at a college in the south. To further his education and “maybe get in a few games with the baseball team down there..”.

30. DCViking says: May 20, 2010 2:29 PM

JimmySmith says: May 20, 2010 2:03 PM
    ——————————————
    Actually all YOU have to do is post a comment (any comment) to produce a bigger pile of dung…

31. sand0 says: May 20, 2010 2:29 PM

He’s coming back. We all know this. He’s done plenty to make it obvious without actually coming out and saying it.
    People who bitch about all the suspense or whatever are just eating out of his hand.
    Brace yourselves Packer nation, it is going to be another rough year of your team not doing as well as Brett’s. Cry us a river.

32. raiderkeith says: May 20, 2010 2:29 PM

How can it be a comeback if he won’t go away?

33. poopytrails says: May 20, 2010 2:31 PM

poopytrails says im a better qb than Favre

34. GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 20, 2010 2:32 PM

See ya September 9th, friend.

35. JesusIsStillMySavior says: May 20, 2010 2:32 PM

Favre is a great man. He is an inspiration for us all.

36. TrentDilferisaDouche says: May 20, 2010 2:32 PM

Jimmy Smith rides the short bus. Woo hoo.

37. IAVikefan says: May 20, 2010 2:35 PM

LOL @ all the dumbass Packer fans who think they have a guaranteed win against the Vikings this year… lol! You’d better pray that Favre doesn’t come back, because that’s the only shot you have of beating Minnesota this year. Have fun watching Karen Rodgers get sacked in the end zone for yet another safety by Jared Allen.

38. poopytrails says: May 20, 2010 2:36 PM

poopytrails says why is it everytime i pick my nose, its full again in a few minutes? Funk Dat
    poopytrails says Favre can lick the stink off the area between scrotumville and anusburg

39. Bob says: May 20, 2010 2:40 PM

“Peter King has already sexted the star pitcher.”

And bet him a hazelnut latte.

40. Hauschild says: May 20, 2010 2:45 PM

How can you not love Favre? Good Lord, he’s poking a stick in the eye of every candy ass that can’t accept the fact that the man marches to the beat of his own drummer. I love it. I hope he continues to piss all you whiners off.
    I mean, that was just awesome. It reminds me of when I was a younger man, shooting a 40ft jumper and calling out to the boyz, “If I hit this shot, we’re going to state!”
    I love it!!!

41. Bud Grant says: May 20, 2010 2:48 PM

Y’all need to give it a rest. He’ll be back. He was having a good time with the players and messing with the media–a twofer. And he didn’t say if they were not in the world series he wouldn’t be back.

42. Sacram3ntal says: May 20, 2010 2:52 PM

“so, guys- I’m coming back regardless- obviously.
    But I’ll throw ya’ll a bone: get to the CWS, and you can grab a (small) chunk of the spotlight. Sound good?”
    there- Favre’s statement to the team, revised for clarity.

43. Charles Wood says: May 20, 2010 3:10 PM

It doesn’t really matter if Favre plays or not… the Viking D-Line will be a train wreck this season. Bank on it. The Packers are already licking their chops.

44. Charles Wood says: May 20, 2010 3:13 PM

For a man with “child” in his name- i’m not surprised that you love anything. If someone dumped a Cleveland Steamer on Lord Farves helmet, you would scream “I love it!”

45. LBPACKFAN says: May 20, 2010 3:17 PM

Somewhere, Tracy Porter is hoping the Southern Miss team makes it.

46. Fan of Football says: May 20, 2010 3:20 PM

What a Diva for talking to the S Miss Baseball team.

47. LBPACKFAN says: May 20, 2010 3:21 PM

IAVikesFan -
    At least you are a little closer to Los Angeles than Minnesotans are…

48. FLYBOY says: May 20, 2010 3:28 PM

John Madden actually was the first with this scoop, however, he was so busy/frustrated picking Favre’s pubes from his teeth and the back of his throat that he didn’t get it out in time.
    Doesn’t matter to me as I still like Madden.

49. Saints#12 says: May 20, 2010 3:33 PM

he says this to a team that has no chance in hell to make the CWS, you he used the bathroom there too…get on with TJack LA.Viking fans!!!!! All LA.Viking fans WILL for the Packers after loose your football team:-)..HE’S NOT COMING BACK…i been telling viking fans this for 2 months now

50. chickenragnar the 3rd says: May 20, 2010 4:00 PM

Saints#12 says:
    May 20, 2010 3:33 PM
    =====================
    AH yes the NOLA education shows its mongoloid face again.

51. Nard100 says: May 20, 2010 4:36 PM

I wanted to mad when I read this story, I really did. But it’s so ridiculous and obviously self serving that it just makes me laugh. ROTFL

52. prophet of the light says: May 20, 2010 4:41 PM

“I’m not going to be the Alabama coach.”

53. ampats says: May 20, 2010 4:53 PM

Who cares, if he comes back everyone knows he will throw a pick in the 4th quarter of a key playoff game as he always does.
    Retire and stay on your tractor.

54. c.carterhof says: May 20, 2010 6:03 PM

Charles Wood says:
    May 20, 2010 3:10 PM
    ——-
    Didnt Minnesota have the most sacks last year?

55. c.carterhof says: May 20, 2010 6:44 PM

Oh and Charles, if you are counting on the Wall being suspended, dont. And even if they are, Kennedy and Evans are more than enough to go thru the swiss cheese.

56. 55horses says: May 20, 2010 7:00 PM

Favre’s probably trolling for his next grand baby daddy.
    Better than the previous method in which Favre girls stand by the side of the road, with an autographed mini-helmet and say: “If you stop and pick me up, I’ll give you $400 bucks to take this mini-helmet off my hands.”

57. gnarlswoodson says: May 20, 2010 7:59 PM

he was at the practice looking for the dominican kid that knocked his daughter up

58. PurpleRaid12 says: May 20, 2010 11:05 PM

LarryDavid says:
    “For all the people who are gonna complain about another Favre post, simply scroll past the article, it’s not that difficult.”
    __________________________________________________
    Of course it’s not difficult Larry; but see, what else can trolls like JimmySmith and Boob Nelson do all day if they simply ‘scroll past’ a Viking/Favre article? Get a job? Please, they wouldn’t be able to function when not in their parent’s basement. Get a girl (or in Jimmy’s case, a 13 yr. old Taiwanese boy), Hell No – it doesn’t take much evidence to conclude that they don’t have an ability to obtain a stable ‘social’ life (just count how many times they post on said articles) The truth is, I agree with ya Larry it is quite simple; if you’re ‘so tired!’ of Favre/Vikings articles, don’t read (or comment for that matter) but unfortunately for the rest of us, those people simply don’t have enough going on in their lives to ‘scroll past’ these types of articles. Love your show by the way…

59. slegeir says: May 21, 2010 5:54 PM

Who cares? Just shows what an idiot he is!