Lions' Best says Smith is "like my big brother"

The Detroit Lions drafted running back Jahvid Best with the idea that he’d supplant Kevin Smith as the starting running back.

But Best, a rookie out of Cal, says that hasn’t caused any friction between them.

“I wasn’t nervous at all because he just walked straight up to me and we sat down and talked. He made it real comfortable for me,” Best told Tom Kowalski of MLive.com. “He just said don’t be nervous, you know how to play the game. I was a little nervous to start, but once we got into the roll of things it was fun being out there with the guys. The running back group is great. [Smith is] probably like my big brother right now. He’s giving me pointers, just staying on me so I know what I’m doing when I’m out there.”

Smith is still recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in December, which means he can’t go at full speed yet, and might not be able to contribute on the field at the start of the regular season. But if he’s embracing the rookie who was drafted to replace him, Smith is still making a contribution to the Lions.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Lions' Best says Smith is "like my big brother"”
  1. JesusIsMySavior says: May 20, 2010 9:47 AM

2. CleanSlaton says: May 20, 2010 9:57 AM

Go watch some Barry Sanders tapes, boys. You’re not there yet.

3. Bizz says: May 20, 2010 9:59 AM

aww reminds me of the time my brother & i wake up in a jail cell together . . . . wOoT

4. robert ethen says: May 20, 2010 10:12 AM

Smith give him noogies, wrecks all his stuff, and locks him out of the house when no one else is around.

5. Profanity in ALL CAPS says: May 20, 2010 10:15 AM

Florio is crowning Best as the next Barry Sanders

6. Bech72 says: May 20, 2010 10:16 AM

I don’t see why any RB would be upset about their team adding another runner. It helps to prolong careers and means Smith won’t be looking at 300+ carries this season. The 2 back system is smart!
    As for the first post from the Jesus guy, what a douche bag comment. Gonna be hilarious when you people are the ones burning in hell come judgment….

7. LIONPRIDE says: May 20, 2010 10:22 AM

JesusIsMySavior said” I don’t understand why these football players are infatuated with homosexuality, but it stands to reason that a player like this would land in a sinner’s city like Detroit. God’s Eternal Wrath is abundant in that wasteland.
    *** You are closed minded ignorant fool! *** Go back in your shell!

8. Big Stretch says: May 20, 2010 10:29 AM

Kevin Smith has been a stand up guy since he joined the NFL. He works hard and stays out of trouble, and if he gets healthy this year the Lions will have a pretty talented backfield and might actually win more than 6 games.

9. robert ethen says: May 20, 2010 10:31 AM

I’m going to miss J.I.M.S ramblings.

10. This is not news says: May 20, 2010 11:24 AM

Best troll post I’ve seen in a while JIMS.

11. texasPHINSfan says: May 20, 2010 11:53 AM

Smith just shot up a ton of points in my book. Good for him!

12. LionsFan-StopLaughing says: May 20, 2010 12:09 PM

As a Lions fan this is encouraging…we are building a young nucleus that is going to create a great locker room atmosphere.

13. Kris says: May 20, 2010 12:15 PM

Smith is a class act. And if he had a little more spring in his step, he’d still be “the man” in Detroit. Even still, if he can come back healthy we should have a pretty strong run game for the first time in a decade.

14. #1LionsFan says: May 20, 2010 12:51 PM

Go Lions! Cant Wait To Madden 2011 Comes Out, I Been Losing Long Anuff Because Of Lack Of Talent,But Im Goin To Tare Yull Apart Now..”Best” The Best Foot Work Since The Great Barry Sanders..Yea I Said It “Best”Foot Work Since The Great Barry Sanders And “Best” Got The Speed TO Go Wit It, MegaTron Goes To “Pro Bowl” This Year..”SUH” WAT UP!!!ReeseThaChosen..Checkin Out “Get In Tune”..

15. Hap says: May 20, 2010 12:52 PM

You mean, somebody actually admitted they were kin to a Lion’s playa ?
    How far COULD name-droppin a Lions playa get you ?

16. Shanahan's Rat Teeth says: May 20, 2010 1:29 PM

Smith and the Lion’s offensive line= Big Brother & the Holding Company

17. Dapollock says: May 20, 2010 1:30 PM

Laverneous Coles only wishes he had this kind of contact.

18. panteraphenomenon says: May 21, 2010 9:35 AM

smith will be his backup for 2 or 3 years now.

19. tea_jaye17 says: May 25, 2010 12:23 AM