More words of wisdom from Dwayne Bowe

On Wednesday, word emerged of some ill-advised comments from Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe regarding the practice of “importing.”

As it turns out, the story of Bowe’s bone-headed remarks to ESPN The Magazine came to light roughly 15 minutes after our friend Nick Wright of 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City harvested some comments from Bowe regarding his relationship with quarterback Matt Cassel.

Asked about the value of having extended time with Cassel, who joined the team in 2009, Bowe said on the air, “It’s like an extra year with your girlfriend trying to map things out.  You know, those quarterbacks, they’re like my girlfriend.  No homo.”

Bowe said more and Wright said more but the last two words from the quote — “no homo” — raised eyebrows.  As they should.  Even if this phrase arose from hip-hop culture and was used by Bowe with no specific homophobic intent, reasonable minds could conclude that it is both homophobic and offensive.

Some may think it’s less offensive that former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson’s alleged direction of the word “faggot” to a reporter during the 2009 season, but many likely will think that Bowe at least crossed the same line over which Johnson leaped.

Feel free to share your own thoughts below.

Permalink 157 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
157 Responses to “More words of wisdom from Dwayne Bowe”
  1. JimmySmith says: May 20, 2010 6:14 PM

=================================
    Being a homo is offensive, Exhibit A is any Viking fan.

2. I_Am_Spartacus says: May 20, 2010 6:16 PM

He’s not at all smart, and in his situation as a professional athlete he should no better, but everyone under the age of 30 knows what ‘no homo’ means.

3. csloan99 says: May 20, 2010 6:16 PM

So if I say”I am not a homosexual,” you’re saying that “reasonable minds” would interpret it to be homophobic and offensive? What “reasonable minds” are we discussing here?
    Leave your legal terminology at the door, Florio, because it doesn’t apply here. What you really meant is that some idiot will want to be offended. But that’s a far cry from a reasonable mind being offended.

4. stadanko says: May 20, 2010 6:16 PM

Dwayne Bowe’s an in sensitive fag.

5. CookieFlash says: May 20, 2010 6:17 PM

If this dude would run as fast as his mouth does he’d be a track star.

6. Chapnasty2 says: May 20, 2010 6:17 PM

“Bowe said more and Wright said more but the last two words from the quote — “no homo” — raised eyebrows. As they should. Even if this phrase arose from hip-hop culture and was used by Bowe with no specific homophobic intent, reasonable minds could conclude that it is both homophobic and offensive.”
    Just another example of why the hip-hop culture is destroying this country… flo-shnizzle

7. ForceEight says: May 20, 2010 6:17 PM

Saying that something is not homosexual (“no homo”) cannot be offensive or homophobic whatsoever.
    Period. End of story.

8. SlawPaw says: May 20, 2010 6:17 PM

Sheeesh…….Lawyers

9. Reptar says: May 20, 2010 6:18 PM

No homo isn’t as offensive as it is stale. People need to mix it up every now and again and say “75 percent homo” or “15 percent homo.” It’s unrealistic to think that everything is “no homo”, and frankly, it’s boring.

10. swankel says: May 20, 2010 6:19 PM

“reasonable minds could conclude” or “politically correct thought police could conclude”. Prays this goes away before we have to hear about it daily for the next couple of weeks.

11. Ramsnation says: May 20, 2010 6:19 PM

Isn’t “no homo” something a 13-year-old would say? I think it’s time for Dwayne to grow up.

12. Occam says: May 20, 2010 6:19 PM

What’s the big deal. “No Homo” is what my license plate reads. Cuz I’m not gay. I’m not. I’m not I’m not I’m not!!!!!!!!!!

13. Bob Sacamano says: May 20, 2010 6:20 PM

Come on, Florio. What Bowe actually said is that Cassel is “no Romo”.

14. robert ethen says: May 20, 2010 6:21 PM

Cassel hates it when Bowe calls him “girlfriend”. Especially when he twists his ear and marchs him around at the same time.

15. thinker says: May 20, 2010 6:22 PM

Would have rather had a Seinfeldian PC response – “Not that there’s anything wrong with that”?

16. po knows football says: May 20, 2010 6:23 PM

“no homo” is what 12 year old kids say on the internet whenever they say something that can be even remotely associated as gay so that they still look tough to their other 12 year old tough guy internet friends.

17. fatcatxl says: May 20, 2010 6:24 PM

Florio used to make “not that there’s anything wrong with that” jokes all the time. Every since the sponsors and NBC have started rolling in he has become much much much more PC. First he gets unbelievably offended by the flawed Rooney system, now hes trying to be the PC police. Go back to the funny, interesting, well informed site you were, instead of being a decent collection of links

18. tinopuno says: May 20, 2010 6:25 PM

That’s it! Bowe has ‘crossed the line’! The only remaining question for Judge Florio is….Electric chair, lethal injection, or firing squad?
    I’m assuming ‘drawing and quartering’ would be a little excessive even for Judge Florio!

19. jeremiah says: May 20, 2010 6:27 PM

the word “homo” is not fundamentally a dirrogatory word. it is nothing more than an abbreviation for HOMOSEXUAL. which is what you are if you have the sex with someone who has the same “equipment” as you.
    the fact that d-bowe, or anyone else for the matter, has to be worried about being labled as a biggot or homophobe by simply using a shorter form of a scientificly descriptive word is…
    retarded(“OMG” he said retard!”)
    society today…..

20. Jaysuz says: May 20, 2010 6:27 PM

“Even if this phrase arose from hip-hop culture and was used by Bowe with no specific homophobic intent, reasonable minds could conclude that it is both homophobic and offensive.”
    More like UNreasonable minds no?

21. The Wishbone says: May 20, 2010 6:27 PM

“No homo” is completely harmless. Stop being so damn sensitive, Florio.
    Your whiny “it’s supposed to be no-contact drills” posts think that your politically-correct-to-the-nth-degree posts are getting out of hand.
    Grow up.

22. SC21 says: May 20, 2010 6:29 PM

Really Florio, you’re just now learning about this? Some NFL reporter you are. The whole “no homo” thing has been said by NFL players for years and was reported on a long time ago.

23. NagaSwan says: May 20, 2010 6:30 PM

So they are gay or aren’t they? How about you actually do some reporting for once Florio!

24. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: May 20, 2010 6:30 PM

Who’s Dwayne Bowe?

25. Cushing Will Kill You says: May 20, 2010 6:31 PM

Jesus Is My Savior will comment in 3…2…1…

26. TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 6:31 PM

Why is that surprising?
    Black people are as bigoted against gays as white people are against blacks.
    It’s just not frowned upon for them to voice their bigotry yet.

27. ashylarry says: May 20, 2010 6:32 PM

What crime was committed here???????

28. Raider Roy says: May 20, 2010 6:33 PM

florio you’re like an uber sensitive chick, dude….oops did my comment result offensive to women??

29. aec4 says: May 20, 2010 6:33 PM

reasonable people need to find something else to concern themselves about if this bothers them.

30. 46&2 says: May 20, 2010 6:33 PM

No Homo is something that lots of young people say, and it has nothing to do with hip hop. take a stroll around the internet sometime. in fact, its mostly white kids who i hear saying it, but you blamed hip hop culture because hes black. what he said wasnt offensive. this b.s. post is.
    (for the record, im a pasty norwegian kid. no hip hop.)

31. tedskro says: May 20, 2010 6:33 PM

Of course its the hip hop culture killing the world again right? The hip hop theory is so dumb.
    promo is to promotion
    just like homo is to homosexual…. big deal
    Not that theres anything wrong with that

32. Raven Adam says: May 20, 2010 6:33 PM

I use “No Homo” all the time.. so yeah.. i don’t think any offense was meant by it..

33. Jigga says: May 20, 2010 6:35 PM

Hey, don’t we all think Florio is a homo?? He is always talkin about Visante Shanco moment.lol

34. 46&2 says: May 20, 2010 6:35 PM

(for the record, im a pasty norwegian kid. no hip hop.)

35. Citizen Strange says: May 20, 2010 6:36 PM

When I find myself in times of trouble, Dwayne Bowe comes to me,
    speaking words of wisdom, about the Chiefs.
    And in my hour of darkness he is standing right in front of me,
    speaking words of wisdom, about the Chiefs.
    About the Chiefs, about the Chiefs, about the Chiefs, about the Chiefs.
    Whisper words of wisdom, about the Chiefs.

36. prmpft says: May 20, 2010 6:37 PM

…if this is your job for the gov’t (administration) to flush out folks who don’t like fags – good job – i see nothing wrong w/ that comment…(cue fag / liberal responses)…yawn – of course this is the slow season – so good job again if this gets bigger…

37. BlitzDorsey says: May 20, 2010 6:39 PM

This topic is sooooo gay.
    LOL.

38. peterGriffin says: May 20, 2010 6:40 PM

shouldn’t we be talkin about the fact the he called Cassel his b!tch lol? …. Idk but in California ” no homo” is not offensive and theres alot of homos here lol they don’t get offended there proud … and you shouldn’t write that it is .. your going for a national story..

39. DeuceDropper says: May 20, 2010 6:41 PM

It’s not smart to say it, because the words and actions of pro athletes in particular are so highly scrutinized by an ultra-sensitive, ready-to-pounce public. That said, “No homo” is hip-hop culture’s closest equivalent to “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.”
    It’s too large a leap for this reasonable mind to believe the statement on its own is homophobic. But I can understand if some people will start to wonder if Bowe doth protest too much.

40. Packfan666 says: May 20, 2010 6:42 PM

LMAO, no he didn’t cross the line, he used the term in the exact context it was ment to be used in, he didn’t lie about anything did he, he said no homo because he said something that can be interpreted as gay so he made sure to make himself clear he isn’t by saying no homo.
    Also, no homo was an internet message board thing, lil wayne just says it but it doesn’t mean the term came from hiphop, i guess i shouldn’t expect you to know much about hip hop though since you’re vanilla and all.

41. SULL22 says: May 20, 2010 6:42 PM

haha honestly i didnt read any of these comments cause i figured most probly worth the time but i love Bowe, no homo, the guy makes me laugh n if somebody wants to view it as offensive that he clarifies he’s not bangin his QB’s then let’em they have a right to, but it’s obvious he was joking so if ur offended by jokes then maybe a sense of humor would do u some good.

42. WilsonFisk says: May 20, 2010 6:43 PM

In all seriousness…
    How else can you make a borderline gay comment without being implicated as gay?
    His example isn’t the best…but for example…you see this jacked dude at the gym….
    You say…”Nice lats dude, no homo”
    If you did not include the no homo you would likely have your head taken off, unless of course the one with nice lats was indeed a homosexual him self.
    Even if that is the case, then you mistakenly could have hit on a man.
    Bottom line….no homo is the greatest invention of the past decade.

43. ryanleaf says: May 20, 2010 6:44 PM

“No homo” is completely harmless. Stop being so damn sensitive, Florio.
    Grow up.
    ————————————————–
    100% Agreed.

44. BlackSunday83 says: May 20, 2010 6:44 PM

everyone is so goddam sensitive these days. you can’t even say the “Mexican” these days without drawing the ire of someone. whatever. No Homo for life

45. mqmorasch says: May 20, 2010 6:44 PM

If only Bowe could catch a pass as well as he can create controversy with his mouth he could be the pro bowl type receiver he failed(miserably) to be.

46. dixinpunani says: May 20, 2010 6:44 PM

you heard that rosenthal… NO HOMO!

47. escobacker47 says: May 20, 2010 6:44 PM

I’m about five years younger than Dwayne Bowe and I can assure you that everyone I know in that same age range uses this phrase including people who aren’t entrenched in the so called hip hop culture. Dwayne Bowe might say some stupid things but he doesn’t need to be punished or even apologize for this. I most commonly hear it between friends saying something like “I love you man, no homo.” The way Bowe used it is not too dissimilar from that. IT IS IN NO WAY OFFENSIVE. I love the site and I love your writing and your style but I can’t stand it when you try to make up shit that just isn’t there.

48. prmpft says: May 20, 2010 6:45 PM

…also – it’s a good thing bowe’s not the center…

49. cobrala2 says: May 20, 2010 6:45 PM

Tony Homo.

50. irishsamurai says: May 20, 2010 6:46 PM

who cares,sticks and stones and all that good mess,get over it

51. NinerNation says: May 20, 2010 6:47 PM

Non-issue. He just said that he wasn’t gay…is it offensive to be straight now? I swear, there is too much PC BS going around these days…if I hate someone they say it’s because of color…no, I hate someone because he/she is a rotten son of a bitch, race and sexuality has nothing to do with it…so QUIT CRYING!

52. madhack says: May 20, 2010 6:47 PM

By pointing out that nobody should assume from his words when that he is homosexual when no REASONABLE person COULD assume that from his words, he is implying that homosexuality is undesirable. That is why someone will find it offensive.
    That said, I’m not personally easily offended. I laughed out loud at the quote. What it is, however, is unprofessional. I could very easily get in trouble using that phrase at my job, as could most of you, I imagine, depending on who actually overheard it. So, knowing that, saying it on public airwaves would be stupid and, again, unprofessional.
    So bitch all you want about the PC police, but it implies something that certain people could easily find offensive, and being under a microscope is part of being a millionaire athlete. That’s been true for long enough for even the biggest moron to realize it and do some work on the ol’ brain-to-mouth filter.

53. this class sucks says: May 20, 2010 6:47 PM

“No homo” is an offensive phrase. The people stating otherwise are clearly not the “reasonable minds” Florio was talking about. No homo implies that you do not want people to think you are gay. You don’t want people to think you are gay for one of two reasons. Either: A. You are gay and wish to remain in the closet. Or B. You feel being gay is bad. That is why this is an offensive phrase. He has every right to say it, but reasonable minds have every right to be offended by it.
    @ForceEight
    I just pointed out how it can be offensive. Even if you disagree with me, your statement was an opinion. Ending your comment with things like “period.” or “End of story.” just makes you look stupid. Opinions are never 100% correct or they wouldn’t be called opinions they would be called facts.

54. Profanity in ALL CAPS says: May 20, 2010 6:48 PM

jimmy smith
    you probably blame housing market crisis on the vikings. i’m sure you’d find a way

55. CE11 says: May 20, 2010 6:48 PM

Gay Florio is offended by Bowe’s comment

56. Mr.Ace says: May 20, 2010 6:48 PM

I’m 24 years old and in grad school…and I still drop no homo.
    For example, “Damn, my knees hurt after working all day. No homo.”

57. Mr.Ace says: May 20, 2010 6:49 PM

I’m 24 years old and in grad school…and I still drop no homo.
    For example, “Damn, my knees hurt after working all day. No homo.”

58. hendeeze says: May 20, 2010 6:51 PM

” I had never watched dancing with the stars before or since, but the thought of Warren Sapp dancing gave me a reason to watch an episode” No homo

59. Midway Monster says: May 20, 2010 6:53 PM

RossyRoss is a homo. RossyRoss and MyEaglesCantWin have been trying out for the latest Mancrunch commercial. Too bad PervyHarvin and Vox got that all locked up.

60. EverybodyGotAIDS says: May 20, 2010 6:55 PM

Really, what more can you expect from those people?

61. Corey says: May 20, 2010 6:55 PM

homo is the beginning of the word homosexual. he said nothing offensive towards homosexuals, he was simply stating that he does not have homosexual feelings towards matt cassell or any of his previous quarterbacks.
    I’m not a chiefs fan in the least bit (go cowboys), but this is obnoxious and obviously people just trying to blow a simple statement out of proportion.
    –importing thing was over the line, this isn’t.

62. mrnorfleet says: May 20, 2010 6:58 PM

“no homo” is a term used when a person says something that can be taken out of context that incenuates homosexuality. There are homophobic’s that can use him sayin his qb’s are like his girlfriends and run with it because, you know, it sounds gay when your mind is in the gutter. so to avoid any unnecessary nonsense about being a homosexual, after making a statement that involves homosexuality, you would say “no homo” after the statement….it doesnt mean you are homophobic, you are just protecting yourself from the people that, you know, are homophobic. aside from the term being played out it shouldnt offend anybody. now closing my webstas hood dictionary. im selling copies out the trunk too, holla at me florio..$1000 for you..

63. chipwade says: May 20, 2010 7:03 PM

Dwayne Bowe-mo

64. SKINSFANTOM says: May 20, 2010 7:08 PM

Lighten up you bologna smugglin’ asspirate.

65. E.F.Cuttin says: May 20, 2010 7:12 PM

# TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 6:31 PM
    Why is that surprising?
    Black people are as bigoted against gays as white people are against blacks.
    It’s just not frowned upon for them to voice their bigotry yet.

66. rusH1023 says: May 20, 2010 7:12 PM

I hate me some religion. More than the average guy. But this quote from the bible sums up where Bowe’s mind is:
    “When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.”
    No homo? Intent to harm or not, it’s something 12-year-olds say to each other.

67. rickywilliamsdealer says: May 20, 2010 7:21 PM

at least he didn’t say “no butt pirate” or “no doodie digger” or “no flute fiddler”
    florio is a mushroom capped meat stick mauler

68. Franchise says: May 20, 2010 7:23 PM

JimmySmith says:
    “Being a homo is offensive, Exhibit A is any Viking fan.”
    your comment would be credable if your favorite team wasn’t rightfully called the…………..
    FUDGE PACKERS.

69. dbs0011 says: May 20, 2010 7:29 PM

I think he meant to say “No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs.”

70. Dick Gozinia says: May 20, 2010 7:33 PM

Stating a personal aversion to homosexuality is offensive only in the minds of, well, homos and their limp wristed empathizers. This country is becoming a 24/7 dog fart in a small, hot room.

71. D_Gryphon13 says: May 20, 2010 7:34 PM

LMAO at this

72. comment_submission_error says: May 20, 2010 7:34 PM

Florio will end up like Jim Rome, letting commenters to the talking while he pretends to be above it all.

73. alex3 says: May 20, 2010 7:36 PM

forget the homo thing,
    if his girlfriend it’s like Cassel, she is not any good

74. FinfanJim says: May 20, 2010 7:38 PM

Welcome to the sports world, Florio. I’ve heard a number of athletes say it and many of the sports radio hosts and cohosts have said it or referred to it at some point within the last few months.
    Much ado about nothing…

75. WarrenMoonGOAT says: May 20, 2010 7:39 PM

hahhahahaha man FLorio did u just wake up in the 21st century?
    man your kid must be embarassed to be your son…

76. Brad says: May 20, 2010 7:39 PM

Sometimes this is the dumbest blog on the internet. This is one of those times.

77. MooninLambeau says: May 20, 2010 7:58 PM

gentlemen, ‘no homo’ is a commonly used phrase these days- and in saying ‘I’m not gay’ as politically correct takes too long. No homo is the ‘new thing’ and politically cool. No offense heeded.

78. QJ1984 says: May 20, 2010 8:04 PM

Some people will find anything to bitch about. Whoopy freaking do, a 20 something year old kid said “no homo”. You know Kanye West said something about “no homo” on a song, maybe we should be chastising him. Give me a freaking break. Prehaps these guys should just stop talking to reporters. That would solve ALL these problems but you dont want that because then you’d be out of business.

79. Howboutdemcowboys says: May 20, 2010 8:06 PM

Bob Sacamano says: May 20, 2010 6:20 PM
    Come on, Florio. What Bowe actually said is that Cassel is “no Romo”.
    ____________________________________
    Funny shit!!!!

80. danphxariz says: May 20, 2010 8:11 PM

81. TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 8:16 PM

“BlitzDorsey says:
    May 20, 2010 6:39 PM
    Seriously though, the term “homophobic” is a complete misnomer and way overused. I really don’t think Dwayne Bowe is “afraid” of gay people. He was just saying he is not gay — right after saying something kinda Brokebackish.”
    Except that he had to clarify because he was afraid of being perceived as gay after making a generally innocuous comment.
    That’s homophobic.
    “E.F.Cuttin says:
    May 20, 2010 7:12 PM
    U know what, you’re correct. That is the case. But I bet U dollars 2 donuts that U in all of your infinite wisdom fail 2 see the correlation between the two… Blacks were a bred race,left in the control of the worst of the whites. Who do U think taught who about bigotry,hate,and everything else U want 2 condemn for WITHOUT seeing that it was as LEARNED behavior???”
    I’m not condemning blacks. In fact, my problem with their specific bigotry stems from disappointment that a group who has been so marginalized for so long turns around and does the same thing to another group.
    Call it the bully effect.

82. burntorangehorn says: May 20, 2010 8:18 PM

It’s always fun to see the people who pretend to have no patience for anyone’s sensitivity to potentially offensive remarks, labeling such sensitivity as “PC” or something similar. Usually their outrage is pretty loud when the shoe is on the other foot, and someone makes a remark about white people or gun-lovers.
    Anyway, I’m a Chiefs fan, but I really just think Bowe’s an idiot. What’s with this “no homo” disclaimer? If anyone under 30 should know what it means, could someone explain it to me? I’m 30 myself, but let me at least hazard a guess: two cowboys in the sequel to Brokeback Mountain roll out of a tent after a flurry of lonely experimentation and self-discovery, and their fingers are crossed. They look at each other, and simultaneously say, “No homo.” That makes this NOT a gay cowboy movie, right?

83. dudeustupid says: May 20, 2010 8:21 PM

its homophobic to say that calling someone homosexuall is offensive. or calling someone homosexual offensive. sounds to me that florio is the homophobe…not bowe. this is rediculious why is this even a story? hes just saying hes not homosexual…how is that homophobic?

84. burntorangehorn says: May 20, 2010 8:21 PM

85. spudz says: May 20, 2010 8:29 PM

Why is this guy suddenly flapping his gums???
    He needs to shut the hell up before someone does it for him…..

86. NitshkesGhost@1265 says: May 20, 2010 8:29 PM

Lets lighten up a bit here Florio. While Mr. Bowe was not eliquent in how he said it, Mr. Bowe was simply trying to emphisise that his reference to his Qb being like a girlfriend was not to be misconstrued. This is not the first time this has happened. Leave it to all you oversensitve media types to blow this up. This is a testoserone drive activity you write about buddy. If you want sensitivty towards alternative lifestyles you better take up writing about ice skating or tennis, and stay way away from American Football.

87. Florio-is-a-tool says: May 20, 2010 8:33 PM

The lady (Florio) doth protest too much.

88. Chapnasty2 says: May 20, 2010 8:34 PM

Anyone who thinks this doesn’t come from hip-hop obviously didn’t hear Kanye West say it in “Run This Town” with Jay-Z. It may have been said sparingly before but it is famous because of that. Even white kids who think they are thugs use it.
    Hip Hop is ruining our kids!

89. Bell63 says: May 20, 2010 8:34 PM

Saying “no homo” may be childish, but you have to have thin skin for it to be considered offensive.

90. Rocksteady says: May 20, 2010 8:45 PM

Even if you too the quote for exactly what it meant it isn’t the least bit offensive. However, in this case it was said in a light-hearted manner with no offensive intent.
    Florio, would you get bent out of shape if you heard to people discussing law and you over heard one of the parties say; “but I’m no lawyer”?
    You’re reach to persecute a player you have labeled a “bad apple” is offensive to me.

91. Setobakura says: May 20, 2010 8:48 PM

If Bowe were really in touch with the internet, he would have said “Epic Fail”

92. rickywilliamsdealer says: May 20, 2010 8:54 PM

hip hop ruined america.
    doesn’t everyone remmber how great the 70’s and 80’s were. i mean remember how all the rock and roll bands would dress like women and snort coke like dirt devils? oh and not to mention all the devil worshipping bands. wow i really miss the good old days

93. A1 says: May 20, 2010 8:56 PM

Floria you are so out of touch…… I have a hard time believing you know anything aout football, or society for that matter……

94. TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 9:06 PM

“danphxariz says:
    May 20, 2010 8:11 PM
    I’m not sure about Bowe’s comments being offensive, but 99% of the reader comments that you’re allowing to be posted on this site are pretty vile and definitely way over the line offensive. Nice job with the site management there – do you have a monkey approving posts today?”
    I don’t even know why they delay the posts rather than just letting them through with a Flag button.
    It’s always fun to come back four hours later to continue a discussion, or have posts posted out of order so you miss them when you refresh.
    It’s the dumbest system I’ve ever seen a website use.

95. chiefBartle says: May 20, 2010 9:07 PM

ok, as a chiefs fan, and a fan of nick wright… someone has to say how it went… you can listen to it on the 610 website here in KC if you want to hear it for yourself, the topic in discussion was between 2 and 3pm on wednesday the 19th, that is all I am saying, the ‘reasonable people’ can find it from there…
    Nick’s point is valid in one respect… he blasted.. and praised Dwayne Bowe all at the same time. He said D Bowe is a good person, a good football player, and all that, but at the same time, he also made the point that a professional athlete cannot say these types of things, and also that D Bowe has said stupid things in the past. There is even audio of teammates nearby during the 1-on-1 ‘on the record’ interview that were laughing and joking that Bowe said these things on the record. So in short, after the ESPN thing, and this… Dwayne Bowe needs to get himself a copy of Bull Durham, yes, wrong sport, right movie, and learn his cliche’s… being a professional athlete makes you a public figure, and that means you have to know how to respond in public.

96. TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 9:09 PM

I wonder if Dwayne (or any of the posters defending his choice of wording) would find the statement “I like rap music, but I’m no negro” to be offensive.

97. JimmySmith says: May 20, 2010 9:14 PM

Who’s Barney Frank? Another Viking fan?

98. steelerfan9598 says: May 20, 2010 9:15 PM

I hate the term homoPHOBIA. A phobia is a fear. If you say something remotely insensitive, that means you are afraid of gay people? I guess Homeinsensitivia is too long.
    Besides, what’s wrong with pointing out that you don’t like other men? It’s one thing to be ok with gay people. It’s another to have it forced down your throat – pun intended.

99. joetoronto says: May 20, 2010 9:19 PM

No homo, no Romo, what’s the hell’s the difference?
    Anyway, I miss the old days, before all this PC crap, and I’ll be damned if I’m gonna change the way I talk after all these years.

100. FireJerryJones says: May 20, 2010 9:21 PM

Can this guy catch a pass or not?
    He’s turning into a real liability. Not sure he realizes he’s costing himself money every time he opens his mouth or tweets.

101. LiLsWISHA says: May 20, 2010 9:25 PM

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!

102. steeelfann says: May 20, 2010 9:28 PM

Why can’t being a homo be offensive to some people?
    Quit being politically correct.
    Sorry, two hairy men together, offensive to me. And to my ancestors way down the line. OFFENSIVE dude.
    Just because you STATE it (ya know, that it is not offensive), it does not make it so.
    Bowe just became on of my favorite players.

103. Slow Joe says: May 20, 2010 9:29 PM

I love this blog. No homo.

104. Tom says: May 20, 2010 9:55 PM

Everyone needs to just calm down. I’m REALLY tired of all this politically correct crap. Obviously Bowe isn’t the the sharpest knife in the drawer for saying that, but come on.

105. TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 9:56 PM

“steeelfann says:
    May 20, 2010 9:28 PM
    You can’t change reality by mass media assault of liberals. Heterosexuals can be nice to gays, but there is no way you should put your beliefs on others. If people find it offensive, then it is offensive to them.”
    And what would one call it when one is “offended” by something that someone has no control over?
    Funny, because when it’s race, it’s known as being “racist.” Explain how this is different (I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren’t one of those morons who, despite mountains of scientific evidence to the contrary, believe sexual orientation is a choice).

106. brasho says: May 20, 2010 10:10 PM

I teach 7th grade and I have heard “no homo” used 100’s of times… it isn’t nearly as offensive as it is childish. Though I truly believe we need to quit referring to 22 year old college students as “kids”, some of these morons behave like 13 year olds, so what can you expect.

107. RiderNation says: May 20, 2010 10:14 PM

Is having a small vocabulary offensive? Because that is all Bowe is guilty of here…

108. Topher says: May 20, 2010 10:20 PM

I wouldn’t expect a negra like Bowe to figure it out. No offense, boy.
    *and before the hate mail starts, I was using that phrase to show how Bowe’s remarks were racist. There is no difference what I wrote above and what Bowe said.
    Both are racist.

109. this class sucks says: May 20, 2010 10:26 PM

@joetoronto
    I bet you miss slavery too. And probably the good old days when woman couldn’t vote, and cigarettes were healthy, and black people had to be in different schools, and homosexuality was considered a disease.
    @TFBuckFutter
    Well said sir. Although I have a feeling a few posters probably would find what you said too “PC’ and not offensive.
    I love the logic of some posters on here. “I am not offended by this, and anyone that is offended by this is wrong.” That makes sense.

110. Topher says: May 20, 2010 10:30 PM

Hearing something often does not make that something right. The fault is in the line of thinking where a person feels it is necessary to distinguish that you are not like that other group.
    “I’m no jew, but I got a great deal on that car.”
    “I may not be black, but I can dunk.”
    “Florio’s hair looks good today, no homo.”

111. VoxVagina says: May 20, 2010 10:41 PM

Mike Florio reaching for a story… what’s new? I’m pretty sure saying “no homo” as in “I am not a homosexual” or “as gay as that may sound” is not offensive in any way. Especially when he preceeding statement involved calling Matt Cassell his girlfriend.
    @Topher
    Do you know the meaning of the word racist? Moron

112. TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 10:58 PM

“VoxVagina says:
    May 20, 2010 10:41 PM
    @Topher
    Do you know the meaning of the word racist? Moron”
    You’re not real good at critical thinking, are you? He’s pointing out that the same comments and arguments against homosexuals, when applied based on race, are universally condemned. Yet, roughly 50% of Americans consider the attitude acceptable when directed at gays.
    Every negative thing said, and argument against, gays used today was said and used to restrict the rights of African-Americans. Every. Single. Point. “It’s unnatural” “They can do what they want I just don’t want to have to see it” “The bible says it’s wrong.”
    It’s pathetic.

113. steeelfann says: May 20, 2010 11:23 PM

# TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 9:56 PM
    “steeelfann says:
    May 20, 2010 9:28 PM
    TFBUCKFUTTER Says above:
    You either believe it is okay or it is not okay. The Bible says it is not. The Bible does not say to kill gays. My opinion is it is wrong. I would never bother a gay any place in the world, but you can say whatever you want, and I will not say it is right. I just don’t think gays get their own political party, and their own rights, etc. I believe people should all be left alone as long as they don’t bother others. But quit throwing it on straights, on our kids, on everyone. We all pass through once, let God sort it out right? Fact is, it is still offensive to me. I would never say an offensive word to a gay person. I respect their privacy and their rights to enjoy a wonderful life. It is still OFFENSIVE to me.

114. TFBuckFutter says: May 20, 2010 11:43 PM

“steeelfann says:
    May 20, 2010 11:23 PM
    Okay TF, by your logic, many scientist say you are born with being gay. Fair enough. Okay, I am born with liking to murder people. But it is okay, because that is how I am. Or, I am born loving to steal cars. You can go on and on. ”
    Mmm….no, that’s not really how it works. Criminal impulses are almost always a product of nurture as opposed to nature. Sexual orientation is natural. I, for one, am attracted to women. Always have been, always will be, even if society deems it wrong for a man to be attracted to a woman. So your point is stupid.
    “You either believe it is okay or it is not okay. The Bible says it is not.”
    No….I don’t believe it is something that one can judge, because it’s something one has no control over. “You think it’s ok to be Mexican or it’s not ok.” That sounds pretty damn stupid doesn’t it?
    And no, the Bible doesn’t say it’s not ok. Bigots who bastardize the word of the Bible say it’s not ok. You’d be surprised how much of the Bible has been misconstrued via the multiple translations.
    But out of curiosity, since Leviticus is the primary source of the “Christian” hatred of gays….do you also subscribe to the other SIX HUNDRED LAWS laid out by Leviticus?
    Because if not, maybe you should shut the hell up and not concern yourself so much with what others do with their genitals.

115. rickywilliamsdealer says: May 21, 2010 12:04 AM

u people are taking this shit too serious who cares about bowe he’ll probably be broke at 40 like all these retards who buy 9 cars and rent 4 cribs with 71 kids from 9 different girls in 6 different states who are all of a different race. and oh yeah one of the girls is a lesbian now. did i cover all the bases?

116. mustbechris says: May 21, 2010 12:14 AM

who cares? i’ve heard gay people say no homo. i don’t care about him banging prostitutes and i don’t care about him almost being homophobic by some standards.

117. Coach Stram says: May 21, 2010 12:17 AM

Big damn deal…….

118. mcgr8569 says: May 21, 2010 12:42 AM

I think we’ll be okay on this one… gays don’t watch football.
    @rickywilliamsdealer
    you are the only one on here that made me literally laugh out loud (twice). classic.
    I’d never heard this term used, ever, until I read this story. Sounds like a gay ass phrase to be honest with you.

119. mcgr8569 says: May 21, 2010 12:44 AM

oh, and TFBuckfutter is definitely gay.

120. keithcash says: May 21, 2010 1:23 AM

CHILL FLORIO

121. Deb says: May 21, 2010 1:29 AM

Chapnasty2 says:
    Hip Hop is ruining our kids!
    ———————————————
    Didn’t you tell me you’re 26? You’re only a year older than Bowe. :)
    ***********
    @this class sucks ….
    Honestly, I just read this as “Yeah, I spend so much time with the QBs they’re like my girlfriends–not that I’m gay.” Don’t know anything about Bowe or his views, but it doesn’t sound like gay-bashing to me; it sounds like an immature guy who thinks he needs to say “Hey, I’m not gay, not that there’s anything wrong with that.” And Florio thought it was funny when Seinfeld said it.
    Aside from that … you’re one of my favorite PFT people, so I feel compelled to say: Take with a grain of salt TFBuckFutter’s “well said” display of interest in anyone but himself or the Patriots.
    I had similar “enlightened” discussions with him about Super Bowl ads and bought the act when he feined concern about real issues and compassion for others. But then–simply because of his fan hatred for a football team–on the Roethlisberger threads, he played the misogynist who considered it appropriate to make jokes about a child rapist. Though others were worse, his aggression toward me was among the more hateful extremists I encountered, and included an attack on my rape experience. Since he has the intelligence to understand the case facts but chose to behave that way in spite of them, he obviously has skewed priorities.
    People don’t turn their human decency on and off like a light switch–even when posting anonymously on a football blog. He’s not commenting on this thread because he cares about whether Bowe or anyone else on PFT is homophobic. He’s posting because he like to toy with people for kicks on controversial subjects.
    You’re a sincere person, and I didn’t want you to wind up getting blindsided on some future thread like I was.

122. this class sucks says: May 21, 2010 2:53 AM

@steeelfann
    My god you are stupid. Gays don’t murder people. How does someone being gay hurt anyone at all? I hope your parents apologized to you for not raising you better.

123. joetoronto says: May 21, 2010 5:40 AM

this class sucks: WTF could you possibly know about life?
    Now get back to class, kid.

124. wild_eagle says: May 21, 2010 6:17 AM

No homo isn’t offensive! Its just saying what you said wasn’t meant in a “I love you, lets go be turd-burglars” way

125. NoKoolaidCowboy says: May 21, 2010 6:38 AM

Isn’t the term Homo just short for Homosexual?
    Personally, the only thing I find offensive about gays is Rosie O’Donnell.

126. NitshkesGhost@1265 says: May 21, 2010 7:26 AM

Topher says:
    May 20, 2010 10:20 PM
    I wouldn’t expect a negra like Bowe to figure it out. No offense, boy.
    Both are racist.
    Sorry, but I am a bit confused. Are you saying homosexuals are a race now? Yikes now saying homo by itself is gonna get ya smoked twice. This offseason stuff sucks. How many more days until kick off?

127. OLDschool says: May 21, 2010 9:04 AM

So, Florio, you are pro homo? Your political correctness makes you look pathetic.
    Go get your shine box and soak your head in it until daddy says otherwise.
    You and I are through.
    Hoss

128. Topher says: May 21, 2010 10:28 AM

Sometimes I forget that some people just hate folks. They frequently use the Bible to justify their hatred. They will never see certain words as being hate filled because they don’t even know they hate folks.
    But you can recognize these folks by their fruit:
    “Isn’t homo just short for homosexual?”
    “But he is a boy. That black guy is male.”
    “I said he jewed him down, but its just a figure of speech.”
    “I’m not racist my daughter dates a black guy.”
    “I’m not prejudice my nephew is gay.”
    “Of course he wants a drink, he’s Irish.”

129. Rex Grossman says: May 21, 2010 10:28 AM

florio, remember when you didn’t act like some snobby politically correct d-bag? i miss them days. you obv arent really that way, but now you pretend to be just to start controversy on your blog. i miss the old mike. no homo.

130. Actlikea2yrold says: May 21, 2010 11:10 AM

What you mean No homo is hip hop?
    next thing you’ll say is all dutch wear flip flop’s
    that all chinese say chop chop
    or all mexicans have a chop shop
    So what if Bowe used a phrase all kids use,
    he’s a kid himself, and said it to amuse
    i think your sensitive and need to get a life
    at least he isnt like OJ, breakin it down with a knife
    and he aint rollin like LT
    bitching and moaning cuz “He disrespected me”
    or even the other LT from NY’s seclusion
    aiding the high priced game of prostitution.
    Or even big ben down in Georgia with his gang,
    rollin through the club showing his wang.
    i think “no homo” is no big deal, and you shouldnt be a hater,
    he’s not like O. Smith, hooked to a wizzinator.
    Whatever…….

131. Brady-mancrush says: May 21, 2010 11:56 AM

Now if he said this about Tom Brady, it would be homo…..
    No Homo fo sho you ho!!
    Fo Shizzle

132. mixman34 says: May 21, 2010 1:26 PM

HAHA uggghhhh can we say anything now without people taking offense!?!? Who cares what some overpaid athlete thinks of you. If he called me a honky cracka ass cracka… shit would be funny!!!
    Loosen up people no biggie, move along now…

133. Perception=Reality says: May 21, 2010 2:40 PM

134. this class sucks says: May 21, 2010 4:28 PM

@Deb
    Thanks Deb :) you already know you are one of my favorite posters, and probably the smartest on the boards. Don’t worry the only person I expect consistency out of on these boards is you. I just think he expressed what I was trying to say perfectly. A lot the posters are Browns fans todays, Eagles tomorrow.
    I agree that Bowe probably didn’t mean it as offensive, or even know it could be offensive but it is offensive and thats why there should be some backlash so he can learn that it is hurtful.
    If Goodell is going to punish players for not living by the NFL’s moral code how about punish them for saying homophobic or racial slurs?
    @Joetoronto
    The fact that I have to explain to you why you are stupid says a lot about how meaningless age is. It also says a lot that instead of disputing my claims you ignored them. The fact that you miss being able to say hurtful things to people and not be judged because of them speaks to what kind of person you are. I really hope you don’t have kids, or if you do, you are mature enough to let them form their own values and don’t force your’s on them.

135. Deb says: May 21, 2010 5:44 PM

@joetoronto …
    this class sucks is young, and I don’t always agree with him. But in reading his posts I’ve found he always seems to come from a place of genuine concern for issues and people instead of just mouthing off. It’s a nice quality.
    Yes, political correctness frequently goes overboard–and people often make unfair judgments about others based on their offhand comments. Then again, if an expression I use innocently actually wounds other people, rather than debating it, I’d prefer to just find a better expression.

136. this class sucks says: May 21, 2010 7:11 PM

@Deb
    Why thank you. On an unrelated topic (actual football) who do you want to start during Ben’s absence? I was all on board for Dixon but am having second thoughts, just wanted to now your opinion.

137. Deb says: May 21, 2010 7:28 PM

@this class sucks …
    That’s the thing about moral codes–no one can enforce them. People have the right to feel what they feel and believe what they believe. And in a free society, they should have the right to speak freely within understood limits (slander, yelling “fire” in a crowded theater, etc.). The true test of free speech is willingness to defend the right of someone to say the thing you abhor.
    tcs, I’m an evangelical, and when people quote the Bible, don’t assume they’re being hateful or homophobic or hypocritical. Like it or not, it says what it says, going back to the original language. It’s something I continue to study in an effort to reconcile the scripture with my liberal leanings on the subject. These aren’t easy issues–especially for those from conservative religious backgrounds who are expected to just drop beliefs taught for generations and supported by Biblical teaching because they’re no longer politic.
    When I was still thinking my classes sucked ;) I would have just quoted a scripture and said “You’re wrong,” end of discussion. Since then, I’ve had a much more varied life experience than most of my hometown friends–living where there was a lot of poverty, violence, neglect, abuse, inequity, and misery. And I’ve become friends with all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds living all kinds of lifestyles. That’s been the difference. I can’t go back to pretending the world is Pleasantville and people are only “that way” because they’re being difficult. But I also can’t MAKE people who haven’t shared my experiences see the world through my eyes. And neither can you. So try to remember … tolerance is a two-way thing :)

138. spellchecker says: May 21, 2010 10:05 PM

I am black and have grown up around a lot of athletes and a lot of homosexuals. There are a lot of homosexuals in the black churches. But, I have never participated in acts of violence against homosexuals or even heard of it being perpetrated by anybody else in the so called black community.
    Homosexuality is a choice. You can choose not be be homosexual or you can be homosexual and be in the closet. Comparing the homosexual experience to the black experience is offensive to me.
    I have never seen gay bashing by blacks just like blacks have no ability to practice racism because we do not own anything and have no power.

139. Deb says: May 21, 2010 11:02 PM

@this class sucks …
    A football question??? What a nice change of pace ;) Leftwich.
    When Ben missed the Ravens game, people were so focused on locker-room drama they missed the bigger picture. The players’ annoyance about losing Roethlisberger was also something of a no-confidence vote in Dixon.
    Yes, Dixon was a rookie and it was a big game. But there was no similar panic from Ward & co. when rookie Roethlisberger stepped in for an injured Maddox in 04. Roethlisberger carried himself from the get-go with the confident demeanor of a starter. Dixon acquitted himself well that night, but it was kind of a fairy-tale evening with all of us clapping to keep Tinker Bell afloat. Skills aside, I question whether Dixon can deliver the measured leadership and game pacing necessary to carry the offense through at least a quarter of the season.
    When the Steelers re-signed Leftwich right after the suspension was announced, I assumed they felt the same. Leftwich is mature, experienced, and knows the offense. He’s definitely flawed–big and tough like Ben, but sluggish, lacking his elusiveness and play-making ability. He’s not a top-flight QB, but he’s too good to play #3 behind Ben and Dixon when Ben returns. And that’s the place he’d be taking if they signed him despite intending to start Dixon. I doubt they’d do that.
    It’s possible Dixon can win the job during preseason, but right now I’m sure it’s Leftwich’s job to lose. And anyone who doesn’t know Ben is the starter as soon as he’s cleared to play is living in a comic book.

140. sullijo says: May 21, 2010 11:31 PM

Racial profiling, clearly.
    Where’s Obama when you need him?

141. Deb says: May 22, 2010 12:01 PM

For some bizarre reason, half this post keeps disappearing–probably a sign from the computer gods that my posts are too long ;) But it’s disappearing at a point where it seems like I’m saying one thing when I’m saying another. So I’m reposting it. Apologies to those who wish I wouldn’t.
    @this class sucks …
    When I was still thinking my classes sucked ;) I would have just quoted a scripture, said “You’re wrong,” end of discussion. Since then, I’ve had a much more varied life experience than most of my hometown friends–living where there was a lot of poverty, violence, neglect, abuse, inequity, and misery. And I’ve become friends with all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds living all kinds of lifestyles. That’s been the difference. I can’t go back to pretending the world is Pleasantville and people are only “that way” because they’re being difficult. But I also can’t MAKE people who haven’t shared my experiences see the world through my eyes. And neither can you. So try to remember … tolerance is a two-way thing :)

142. gute says: May 22, 2010 12:39 PM

All this PC stuff is really gay.
    Viking fans are homos.

143. CornerBlitz says: May 22, 2010 1:16 PM

And you wonder why many athletes and coaches say nothing to the media, and choose to spout rhetoric that means nothing when asked questions. It’s because everything they say will be dissected ad nauseum, to the point of no return. Don’t believe me? Look at all the threads this has generated not only on this site, but around the Internet.
    How about we get upset every time we see an athlete clearly mouthing the f-bomb on the sidelines? Or a coach? Or the Vice President of the U.S.?
    Or how about we mind our own business and all apply a Biblical principle we can all use: “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

144. Actlikea2yrold says: May 22, 2010 1:47 PM

@spellchecker
    sounds of disagreement. some brothers totally disagree with you and your opinion. to say that all black men condones or at least tolerates all homosexuality is to show your bigotry on throwing one race all together with common thought and actions, and also speaks to this article in no way. but what do i know? i think its funny to classify “no homo” as hip hop slang, and that saying in the contxt he used it is wrong is ridiculous.

145. TheWizard says: May 22, 2010 4:12 PM

Tolerance to liberals means you will NOT say things they disagree with.
    Not very tolerant at all, when examined in the light of day.

146. this class sucks says: May 23, 2010 2:37 PM

@Deb
    I understand what you are saying. And I certainly agree tolerance is a two way street. Although I don’t feel the courtesy of tolerance extends to those who are not showing it themselves. I don’t mean that in a vengeful way, I mean I don’t plan to put up with someone gay-bashing (just in general I am not referencing anyone on this board) or anything else like that. If someone believes that they need to do a funny dance three times a day to go to heaven, fine by me. But if someone expresses their dislike of gays because they feel the bible says its wrong, that is not ok. They have every right to say, but I have every right to do my best and make them look like stupid intolerant homophobes.
    On the actual football discussion: that makes sense. I have been a huge Dixon fan since his college days, and I do think he could be a suitable Ben replacement in the distant future (Steve Young would be precedent for the age issue). As much as I want Dixon to start and play great, I think you are right that it will, and should be, Leftwich. I am hoping for 2 (or 3 if he serves 6) wins in this time period. I think they will win the opener, and I believe one of the games is a pretty light one, but more than half just feels like a lot to ask unless the defense plays like it did two years ago. And I totally agree that Ben is going to be the starter coming back. I wasn’t aware people thought otherwise, but they are deluded. People can trash his character all they want, but he is a great QB.
    @Actlikea2yrold
    Spellchecker is clearly trolling (saying stupid things to try and get a reaction). Obviously anyone of any race can be racist, obviously there are people of every race that are homophobic, and homosexuality is no more a choice than race.

147. Deb says: May 23, 2010 7:55 PM

@this class sucks …
    Definitely wasn’t suggesting you remain silent when people are harassing gays. No scripture advocates abuse, and some lunatics spew a lot of hate under the guise of Christianity. But other Christians really are sincere people who don’t dislike gays, but do follow strict Biblical teaching. And if asked, they would say several passages condemn the behavior. You don’t have anymore right to try to “make them look like stupid intolerant homophobes” for quoting a scripture than the lunatics have to scream “You’re going to hell!” at a gay couple–not when they’re simply expressing their beliefs in a calm, rational discussion. That’s what I meant about tolerance going both ways. People have a right to their personal spiritual beliefs as long as they’re not trying to hurt anyone else.
    As for our QB situation … Doubt anyone seriously thinks Leftwich or Dixon could replace Roethlisberger. A few pitchfork-bearing Steeler fans who can’t take the criticism over his notoriety are spinning fantasies that Dixon will prove to be a wunderkind and the Rooneys will boot the cause of their shame. And Florio keeps dramatically furrowing his brow and posting about our Big Dilemma–how overwhelming it is to prepare GASP! three QBs for the upcoming season. And OH MY! what if Leftwich were 4-0 when Ben returned?
    Denver has four mediocre or untested QBs and no idea who will start, but PFT keeps describing that as a great problem. At least we know how our guys rank, and a vet like Roethlisberger won’t need much prep. New England was getting back a wounded Tom Brady, but didn’t have any trouble chosing him over Matt Cassel. The only way Leftwich goes 4-0 is if we have multiple scores on defense. Roethlisberger has always played well under adversity. Last year was one of his best, and this should be no exception. Once he’s got a couple of games under his belt, he’ll silence the fans and Florio will have to find a new muse.

148. Jay-miah says: May 24, 2010 7:58 AM

No homo was actually stared by a rap group called Dipset back in the early 2000’s, as you can see it’s still used today mainly by younger generations

149. twindaddy says: May 24, 2010 3:30 PM

# spellchecker says: May 21, 2010 10:05 PM
    _____________________________________
    Idiot. Racism is hating someone because of their race. It has nothing to do with having any kind of power. If you hate me because I’m white, that makes you a racist. There are just as many black racists as there are white ones. The only difference is black people don’t get carried away and create cults and/or other stupid ass groups like the KKK or Nazi party. In short, no matter what your ethnicity, you can be a racist. It has nothing to do with power. Racism is ignorant, just like any other form of bigotry.

150. this class sucks says: May 25, 2010 5:21 AM

@Deb
    Here is where we will probably disagree. Its tough for me to describe what I mean, but bear with me. I do not believe anyone has the right to use the bible to feel homosexuality is wrong. I understand that the bible does have passages that could be used to fund that belief, but the bible has direct passages that say people who work on sundays should be murdered, stoning your wife is ok, and so forth. Obviously no one follows these teachings of the bible, but it illustrates that people are picking and choosing what rules they follow. If people are christian they should know that the spirit of most of Jesus’ teachings are around inclusiveness and that crazy “do on to others” message. I am not saying I have or want the right to go to every person who believes gays are evil and harass them. But if someone voices that opinion and uses the bible as a source for their hate, than I am going to ridicule their unfounded beliefs.
    Back to Football: I don’t think you could be more right. I am pretty much feeling Charlie Batch is the team mascot at this point. Yeah, the teams we play lead me to think 2-2 is a reasonable guess. 0-4 would shock me as would 4-0. If Mendenhal is going to have a big break out year, now would be the time. I am hoping Troy can stay healthy and that the defense will return to its pristine form of two years ago. I was kind of hoping the Steelers would steal Taylor Mays in the latter rounds (funnily enough he went to my other favorite team the 49ers), because I don’t like the age or health of our defense. But as far as the next few years go, I still think we will be competing in the playoffs (not counting this year, if we get in I will call this year a huge victory).
    I wonder if us carrying on a conversation in this thread annoys Florio, helps him, or he doesn’t care?

151. Deb says: May 25, 2010 12:50 PM

@this class sucks …
    He doesn’t care.
    Okay, now I get where you’re coming from on the Biblical thing, so please let me explain.
    You’re right that many “Christians” follow what they’ve been told and pick out passages supporting those views without studying them. The Bible is a complex work of history, prophecy, poetry, and instruction. You can’t just latch onto verses out of context, as many do. It’s a progression from a faith of mechanical rituals to one of spiritual principles. Those laws on stoning, etc., are accounts of old rituals practiced before Christ taught a better way. His instruction was to love others as yourself, to treat others as you want to be treated. (Not crazy–imagine what the world would be if we all practiced that.) But Christ still condemned certain behaviors–homosexuality among them. Somehow the rest of the behaviors on that list don’t generate the same attention. Maybe they hit too close to home for most people.
    I’d never preach at gay friends because I wouldn’t want them–or you–preaching at or judging me, minding my business, or infringing on my civil rights. But if/when asked, I’m honest about those passages … just as I’ve been with you. Being honest is not being a hater. As I’ve told my friends, I have enough struggles with the sections that apply to me without pestering others about their lives. And I continue to study those scriptures in hopes of perhaps finding something that would lead to a broader understanding.
    So that’s why I’m saying you have to gauge the situation and the attitude of the person speaking rather than assuming the worst.
    Yeah, I think our season has been overhyped. I expect 2-2 or 3-1 without Roethlisberger. 0-4 is the rival fans’ fantasy and 4-0 is Florio’s because he’s hoping for a QB drama. If Ben’s absence helps Arians recommit to the running game, it will be better for us in the long run. I’m concerned about the aging defense … and the aging defensive coordinator. But we’ve got some young talent waiting in the wings. I think we’ll be okay.
    Expect Ben to be back for the 5th game, which is at home, then I think we have three straight road games. That will be the test because we don’t know what he’ll get from rival fans. Maybe 1 percent of PFT readers who’ve followed the evidence actually think he did something. The rest don’t care. They’ll just do anything they think will give them a slight edge. But he has an amazing ability to focus while he’s on the field. I think they’ll be disappointed … and like any bullies, if you ignore them, they’ll eventually give up. Unless something unforeseen happens on or off the field, I think we’ll make the playoffs.

152. this class sucks says: May 25, 2010 9:29 PM

@Deb
    Ok, I get what you are saying and that makes sense.
    On the football side of things, that would be a good problem to have if we went 4-0. As far as Arians getting back to the run game, I disagree a little bit. I like that we are committed to the run game actually. I think the league is changing so much to make the run game less relevant that teams going towards the run are moving backwards. I want to stay a pass happy team (when Ben is behind the wheel).
    That is a good point about LaBeau. I think he has got plenty of time left, but it would be nice if he had a protege to put under his wing in his remaining years.

153. Deb says: May 26, 2010 12:37 AM

@this class sucks …
    Just read one of those nutso Steeler fans who wants to get rid of Ben or sit him for the season. Unreal. I’m most thankful the evidence was so clearcut because it means the women weren’t abused and he’s not a monster (just a jackass). But I’m also thankful because whatever he is off the field, he’s a general on the field and there are only a handful in the league. You don’t just switch them out like car batteries.
    Not talking about recommitting to an old-school running game–only developing a more balanced offense. You can’t throw long on four consecutive downs, as we did at the end of our second Bengals game, when the secondary has your number and you only need to get a first down. You must be able to change up play-calling plus wear down opposing defenses and protect leads–something else we didn’t do last season. We can be a strong passing team, but we still need to be able to call on an effective multi-back running game.

154. this class sucks says: May 27, 2010 1:21 AM

@Deb
    Yeah every fanbase has their nuts. There are a lot of 49er fans that think Alex Smith is going to get us deep in the playoffs. Don’t get me wrong I would love nothing more, but I wish fans could try to approach situations with a little less bias. The Steeler fans calling for Ben’s head annoy me so much. Like you said, its not like we could just grab another stud QB. Just ask the Niners lol. Ben is probably the third best QB in the league, certainly top 5 arguably top 2. But getting rid of him, especially at his lowest value would be lunacy. If we could get Drew Brees for him than we would have already made the deal, but we would have to start over.
    I remember when Florio was tossing around the rumors of Ben being traded to the 49ers and I was thinkg “YES PLEASE!” Although it would be everything Florio loves, because he hates Ben, and hates the 49ers. I am usually not one to accuse Florio of having any real emotions, but I do feel he has a certain disdain for those two things. Although maybe I am just crazy.

155. Deb says: May 27, 2010 2:36 PM

@this class sucks …
    Don’t know about the 49ers, but you’re not crazy about his disdain for Ben. Since I started on the site, I’ve been reading that Florio is a Steelers fan–and since he lives in West Virginia, that would make sense. But you certainly can’t tell it from his writing. He has really slammed the Steelers since I’ve been here, and he has a bloodlust for Ben. It’s not just that he’s going for page clicks, which he is–and he’s great at it. That’s his job, and I don’t begrudge it. I really admire what he’s built with this site.
    But some of the stuff he’s written on Ben borders on irresponsible. It was understandable to some degree before the investigation concluded. Even my brother–a successful criminal defense attorney convinced of Ben’s innocence–thought he might be charged. I was convinced he wouldn’t be–but I was following the case more closely and have an edge on understanding rape issues. There’s absolutely no credible evidence anything happened. And at this point, continuing to imply otherwise is irresponsible. Yeah, the guy is a jackass. But he shouldn’t be branded a criminal. And the woman who falsely accused him shouldn’t be portrayed as a victim. She’s no different than the groupies the Chiefs flew to San Diego–except she lied and set off a very expensive taxpayer-funded investigation.
    The Steelers never tried to deal Roethlisberger. That was total BS. Not one reporter has ever produced a verifiable source to confirm that. And the story has just faded away.

156. this class sucks says: May 27, 2010 4:43 PM

My theory is that Florio started his hatred for Ben while Ben was in college. Then was mortified when his favorite team picked him, and even more so when he had success. Then when Ben was able to win a Super Bowl Florio hit rock bottom. His hatred for Ben is stronger than his like of the Steelers.
    Yeah, I agree that Ben appears to be innocent of everything outside of obnoxiousness. I think Florio’s next mission will be (assuming Ben continues to play the way he has been playing) to try and keep Ben out of the hall of fame. Thank god he doesn’t have a vote.

157. Deb says: May 29, 2010 6:52 PM

Hey …
    From what I’ve read Ben was an okay guy in college and didn’t start becoming a jerk until he zoomed to stardom his rookie season. So I don’t know why Florio would have hated him then. But his piggish behavior has been well-known to reporters for years–and who knows? Maybe he blew off Florio. He’s blown off a lot of other reporters, and been a sexist jackass to some female journalists … none of which makes him a rapist, and that’s the only issue for me. I’ve been through a lot and had to deal with some seriously aggressive men when I was overseas. Honestly, I’d just like to slap some of these girls as hard as I can. They have no idea, they really don’t. Heaven help them if they ever really do run into the bogeyman.