NFL issues fraud alert

A league source has passed along to us a memo currently being circulated by the NFL and the NFL Players Association regarding two specific persons and businesses who “may be under investigation by law enforcement authorities for questionable business practices” and who “may be targeting current and/or retired NFL Players as potential investors.”

The persons are David Coriaty and Anthony DeResi, and the businesses are Hawk Biometrics, Inc. and Hawk Systems.

The memo urges persons who have a pre-existing business relationship with the persons or businesses to have an independent audit conducted immediately.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “NFL issues fraud alert”
  1. DcNinerFan says: May 20, 2010 5:58 PM

Why would they go through you jokers? I would think that any intelligent player/ex-player would, say, go through the PA, or their old teams… You guys think waaaaay too highly of yourselves…

2. Contra says: May 20, 2010 5:59 PM

So…PFT is the Parent company of Hawk Systems huh. Figures.

3. BenRapistberger says: May 20, 2010 6:01 PM

I wonder how many people just e-mailed florio pretending to be a current or former player.

4. Uncle Leo says: May 20, 2010 6:02 PM

NFL just issued another Fraud Alert, claiming the Commissioner was mislead by NBC, after being subject to a 30 minute interview by a wig wearing lawyer from WV.

5. GoBrowns19 says: May 20, 2010 6:05 PM

Well what’s the deal? Seems like a somewhat interesting story, but….but I don’t know…is it?

6. js136202 says: May 20, 2010 6:05 PM

I would suspect Hawk Biomertrics of fraud, based solely on the fact that “biomertrics” isn’t a word.

7. trickbunny says: May 20, 2010 6:07 PM

“NFL issues fraud alert”? Yeah, a little late, I think. Those two illegitimate Steelers Super Bowl debacles were a few years ago already! :)

8. CookieFlash says: May 20, 2010 6:12 PM

wtf does this have to do with us?

9. ArtModellsPimp says: May 20, 2010 6:13 PM

My first thought was that it had to do with PFT, Mikey…

10. JoeSchmoe says: May 20, 2010 6:18 PM

AJ Hawk is pissed!

11. robert ethen says: May 20, 2010 6:22 PM

No need to name names. Two “Italian looking guys” would have been sufficient.

12. Hap says: May 20, 2010 6:27 PM

Send me some money. I’ll double it for you. Then I’ll have twice as much.

13. The Wishbone says: May 20, 2010 6:30 PM

“If any current or former players need contact information for NFL Security, drop us a line.”
    Why the hell would current or former players call you instead of calling the league office?! Please explain. Is your ego this out of control or did you leave some information out of the post that would clarify that?

14. Pudge Heffelfinger says: May 20, 2010 6:51 PM

When I first read the headline I thought they were referring to the uncanny and unexplainable rash of NFL players’ Twitter accounts being “hacked”. I figured it was either that or the even stranger rash of steroids secretly being slipped into the players orange juice. The league needs to get to the bottom of these two issues immediately.

15. WarrenMoonGOAT says: May 20, 2010 8:16 PM

The Wishbone says:
    May 20, 2010 6:30 PM
    u damn right

16. WarrenMoonGOAT says: May 20, 2010 8:17 PM

i guess Florio is still under the impression that Carson Palmer is reading this haha

17. iusedtobeteddybayer says: May 20, 2010 8:35 PM

I thought the “NFL fraud alert” would be the replay review.
    As a fan, all I want is the right call, even if goes against my team. In fact, being saddled with the wrong call that benefits my team does me no good. But here’s Ed Hockuli, Mr. Gun Show, can’t make the call that you and I can see in a New York minute.
    Hate the refs.

18. CanadianVikingFan says: May 20, 2010 9:24 PM

What’s your angle Florio, you trying to con the ex and current players out of something?

19. the Shoeman says: May 21, 2010 6:53 AM

must be a hoax !
    if there was a such-thing as an:
    NFL issues fraud alert
    “Clevland / Detroit have NFL football ”
    would’ve been flashing in neon by now.

20. TeeTime4fun says: Aug 22, 2010 12:05 AM

Actually there is..through the NFLPA. and I checked his stats and he actually did. Practice Squad I guess. Nothing to brag about but he did. May want to check your sources a little better.

21. weakside46 says: Aug 29, 2010 10:07 AM

I came across the comments made regarding Mark which has been deleted. Rightly so. I know Mark and I have played football with and against him. In defense of my friend and you feel you need proof, feel free to contact me. I muse at the fact that he is accused of such false statements. If ANYONE knows him, he is a overly giving and generous man. To a fault in my opinion. What a pathetic person you are to have to attempt to disparage such a good man and father. My guess is that you are a portly kid that has nothing better to do at work but stuff your face and net stalk people. Sorry your life is so depressing. Karma is all I have to say.