Brett Favre confirms ankle surgery

Vikings quarterback Brett Favre has confirmed on his official website the fact that he recently underwent surgery to repair his injured ankle.

“This is to confirm that I did have a procedure to remove some scar tissue and bone spurs from my ankle which had been bothering me for a period of time,” Favre said in a statement posted at OfficialBrettFavre.com.  “I appreciate your concerns.”

News of the possible surgery came three weeks ago.  Contrary to initial reports regarding the link between the surgery and the ability of Favre to play in 2010 or beyond, Favre strongly suggested on April 30 that he did not need surgery in order to do the non-football things that he does.

Thus, the fact that he underwent the surgery constitutes an even stronger hint that he’ll be playing this year.

Either way, a decision on his future needs to come sooner rather than later.  Last year, he wasn’t under contract.  This year, he is.  The Vikings will need to move him from the active roster if he fails to show up for training camp, or carry one less player.  Also, silence until the middle of August would be more awkward this year, given that he has a contractual obligation to the team.

That said, it’s all semantics.  He’s coming back.

And September 9 can’t get here soon enough.

Permalink 76 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
76 Responses to “Brett Favre confirms ankle surgery”
  1. gogobox says: May 21, 2010 11:02 PM

so… DAD HAS A LIMP….

2. Fan of Football says: May 21, 2010 11:03 PM

What a Diva for getting ankle surgery.

3. Fan of Football says: May 21, 2010 11:05 PM

What a Diva Favre is for talking to that College Baseball team. And the gull of Favre not asking for a speaking fee and doing it for free. Can you believe it that guy?

4. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre says: May 21, 2010 11:05 PM

5. MooninLambeau says: May 21, 2010 11:08 PM

“Good evening dearly beloved fans of mine. Yes I got the surgery, yes I will be returning for at least one more year, and yes I will beat Green Bay twice again. Green Bay is my little biotch brother that I throw around and kick the crap out of. And New Orleans is gonna be my little sister after September 9th. How dare she cheap shot me with a high-low, and how dare she intercept my last pass. I’m excited to lead my beloved Vikings to the promised land of a Super Bowl NFL Championship in February- because Minnesota deserves it. I feel loved and accepted in Minnesota. So thanks for sticking with me when my old employer’s (all of Wisconsin who hold shares with the Packers) sit on their fat asses and cry betrayal, even though we all know they kicked me the hell out for some Califony punk ass wanna be. No one will ever replace Brett Favre!!!!”
    Sincerely, Brett Favre
    Purple #4

6. Sacram3ntal says: May 21, 2010 11:16 PM

Maybe he’s planning on being all unpredictable, and participating fully in training camp.
    Wily old codger!

7. jamaltimore says: May 21, 2010 11:17 PM

Shawn Glennon was cut from the vikings last year and a day later favre announce he wasn’t coming back. Glennon’s agent called and said Brett’s not coming so maybe you’ll have a chance to come back to which Glennon said yes he is why do you think I was cut” The Vikings know all they need to know. Get your wranglers on!

8. cookiecrumbs says: May 21, 2010 11:19 PM

Indeed, September 9 cannot come fast enough…for Bobby McCray and Roman Harper to pound the old man’s ankle again.

9. Cannon says: May 21, 2010 11:22 PM

2 MORE YEARS!

10. PackFaninPackLand says: May 21, 2010 11:23 PM

How many Favre stories today Florio, eight ???
    You must be in hog heaven.

11. DarthGable says: May 21, 2010 11:24 PM

Just hand the Vikes the trophy now.

12. Cannon says: May 21, 2010 11:24 PM

Brett actually sent me a personal email stating that he had the surgery.

13. WHODAT says: May 21, 2010 11:26 PM

SAINTS CONFIRMS THE HIT OUT ON FAVRES HEAD!
    FAVRE YOU OLD DIRT BAG… IDK WHY UR COMING BACK… BETTER HOPE YOU DON’T PLAY THE FIRST GAME… YOU WILL GET DOMINATED!!!
    AP IS TRASH TOO… BUTTER FINGERS

14. CanadianVikingFan says: May 21, 2010 11:27 PM

He may not come back, people get surgeries to correct problems not only because of making a comeback in sports!

15. jimicos says: May 21, 2010 11:27 PM

“This is to confirm that I did have a procedure to remove some scar tissue and bone spurs from my ankle which had been bothering me for a period of time,” Favre said in a statement posted at OfficialBrettFavre.com. “I appreciate your concerns.”
    Favre went on to say that it was a two-part surgery. The second phase was to remove sand from his vagina. Sadly, that part was unsuccessful.

16. Cannon says: May 21, 2010 11:34 PM

The Vikings are going to beat the Aints like they stole something on Sept. 9. I want all the Aints fans to remember they need to save their hate for George Bush, FEMA, Ray Nagin, and BP. Thank you and good night.

17. Norv Turner says: May 21, 2010 11:56 PM

Glad your coming back but get your lazy prima donna ass to training camp like everybody else.

18. Grimmlock42 says: May 21, 2010 11:57 PM

The day Bret Favre retires will be the end of an era. Bret Favre is the last of the great QB’s of the 90’s. Marino, Young, Elway, Moon, Kelly, Aikman, etc… Bret is arguably the greatest of them all. Their legacy lives through Bret right now. That was such an amazing era of football that I wish never ended. Every game from here on out that Bret plays will be special no matter what the outcome will be. Football will move on the day Bret calls it quits, but it would awesome to see this guy play one more year. It’s never boring when Brets on the field that’s for sure.

19. Grimmlock42 says: May 21, 2010 11:59 PM

20. Canned Heat says: May 22, 2010 12:10 AM

Jeepers, now all we have to do is hope to hell that the beloved Southern Miss Golden Eagles baseball team can somehow muster up enough character to make it big and good ol’ drama queen can make it back again….God bless us, everyone. And if they don’t win…he’ll go against his word…again, for the 5th straight year.
    This year’s season ending pick (in week 10) will be all the sweeter when we know he’s 100% healthy.

21. PackFaninPackLand says: May 22, 2010 12:11 AM

Hey jimicos –
    Did writing that comment made you feel like a “big man” ???
    What a sad, pathetic P.O.S. you must be !

22. Cannon says: May 22, 2010 12:21 AM

Fudge Packers get ready to circle two more loses on your shedule as Favre has another great season playing QB for the Minnesota Vikings (I Love how that sounds!). Aints fans get ready for Brett Favre to beat you like you stole something on Sept. 9 and for Drew Brees to be the one needing surgery after the game. Also all Aints fans please save your hatred for George Bush, FEMA, Ray Nagin, and BP. Thank you and good night.

23. PackerFanforDecades says: May 22, 2010 12:22 AM

Brett passed up a chance to be a unquestioned hero forever in Wisconsin when he moved to the Jets. The situation went much further downhill when he moved to the Vikings.
    Used to be I could wear my Packer #4 jersey around anywhere and anyone who saw it felt great about it. Not anymore … I don’t feel comfortable leaving the house with it on now.
    I think he passed up a golden opportunity to become a permanent super-hero at that first (tearful) retirement press conference in Green Bay. He could have said this:
    “Hey …. if I come back for another season to play here for the Pack, that will mean our gifted young guy Aaron Rogers isn’t going to get substantial playing time. The Pack could lose him, just like Atlanta lost me. I sure don’t want that to happen to the Pack because then we’d be real thin at the QB spot for the next several years and we’d have to go try to find a draft pick as good as Aaron is. That would be tough.”
    “Yeah, it would be fun for me to play another 16 games next season … but that would be putting what is fun for me in front of what is in the best longer-term interest of the Packers.”
    “I’m not going to do that. I’ve loved playing for the Packers and I want the Pack to return to the top and stay there for the next 12 – 15 years … until Aaron gets around to retiring. So, I want to make it easy for Aaron to grow into MVP recognition right here in Green Bay.”
    “Here’s what I’m going to do …. I’m going to be back next year as Aaron’s back-up. I’m going to volunteer to take a serious salary cut so the Packers aren’t hurt financially. If Aaron get’s hurt, I’ll be there to fill in for him. But starting today, he’s the #1 quarterback in Green Bay. And if there is anything in my power that I can do to help him, or offer him suggestions, or give him some insight while watching tape, or fill in for him if he sprains an ankle, that’s what I’m going to be doing next autumn.”
    “I threw an interception to close our season last year. I didn’t hear one fan boo me for that. I do remember lots of cheering when I’ve done some good things. I love and respect the fans here. I love being a Green Bay Packer and I want to be remembered as a Green Bay Packer who sacrificed a little more personal fun for the good of the longer term interests of this great club.”
    Man … if Brett had done something like that there would have been a Favre Avenue in every city in the state by now. He’d have both “MVP” and “MHP” (Most Humble Player) on his statue in front of Lambeau Field.
    And … he could have wept after that speech too and there wouldn’t have been a dry eye in the entire state of Wisconsin.
    We don’t have nearly enough genuine heroes in this nation and it hurts that Brett forfeited my chance to have one.

24. c.carterhof says: May 22, 2010 12:43 AM

I know you are hurting jimicos, its ok. No really, time will pass, and before you know it 5 or 6 even 10 years from now you’ll look back on this and it will be all over. Your hero will go into the HOF and all will be forgivin. The bad and hurt feelings will be gone.
    Why, the fact that he came back and beat your beloved Packers 4 straight times will be a distant memory. The bad man will be gone.
    I know its very hard right now, but in time you will see that this was what was best.

25. Lex Luger says: May 22, 2010 12:49 AM

FAVRE 4 EVER………and EVER ………………………………………………………………………………………….and ever………………oh god

26. asmbsu193 says: May 22, 2010 1:02 AM

Florio had to clean off his keyboard after making this post.

27. c.carterhof says: May 22, 2010 1:07 AM

Is this a bad day for Packer fans?
    Im sorry.

28. Highway703 says: May 22, 2010 1:12 AM

great every day will be about brett fare on this site

29. joemama says: May 22, 2010 1:13 AM

jimicos says:
    May 21, 2010 11:27 PM
    Although I am a Vikings fan, that’s funny.

30. raidersteve413 says: May 22, 2010 1:16 AM

DarthGable says:
    May 21, 2010 11:24 PM
    Just hand the Vikes the trophy now.
    hahahahahaha, u should be locked away.
    Farve sucks, waahh poor me stuff is old, and he will never win a super bowl again, desomd howard won that superbowl against a really bad team since then farve has been the worst qb in history , the most overrated, the only reason why you think hes good is because the media, he kisses their ass

31. Wukong says: May 22, 2010 1:16 AM

Florio, your Favre obsession is bizarre and frightening. You should probably be in jail.

32. Hauschild says: May 22, 2010 1:17 AM

“And September 9 can’t get here soon enough.”
    Amen, brother!!!

33. bronco_TD says: May 22, 2010 2:01 AM

Was there really any doubt? He will announce it right after training camp is over.

34. CaptainMarvel says: May 22, 2010 2:45 AM

Why are Saints fans on here trash talking? You won already. Well actually you got your Katrina Payback; the refs handed you the game – 5 straight bad calls in OT, not to mention the late hits that caused INT’s.

35. nameod says: May 22, 2010 3:00 AM

Have fun wathcing #4 throw away your season again in 2010. Then let’s see how the LA Vikings
    do.

36. WHODAT says: May 22, 2010 3:13 AM

@ MooninLambeau You really need to get a life after that post… I have never seen anything so gay in my entire life.
    I know ur spooked about playing the SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS at home to start off the season… In the Superdome hahaha yall dont stand a chance…just like in the NFC Championship..lol

37. Little Tommy says: May 22, 2010 5:23 AM

KICK HIS ASS (AGAIN).

38. GBfanForever says: May 22, 2010 6:40 AM

This is exactly why so many of him find him to be such a flaming douche. Why play your little texting games with the media about playing, why make coaches come to your house, and why make these stories about So Miss and the CWS? He needs the attention and has this phony “awe shucks” personality that some people still fall for. This is also the guy who retired three years ago and said he wanted to leave the game not needing surgery to keep playing. Well, he’s lied about that too. I’m just glad he’s off my team and I’m glad he’s coming back so the packers can give him the pay back he deserves. He needs to go out having been beaten by every team in the league.

39. mattgso says: May 22, 2010 6:45 AM

“…DarthGable says: May 21, 2010 11:24 PM
    Just hand the Vikes the trophy now….”
    How does that grape Kool-Aid taste?

40. Mean D says: May 22, 2010 7:47 AM

That’s 2 definite losses for Green Bay.

41. CJ SPILLER says: May 22, 2010 8:20 AM

Brett Favre confirms that he will play for all 32 NFL teams before he retires.

42. PurpleRaid12 says: May 22, 2010 8:26 AM

___________________________________________________
    isn’t that called jimicoitis?

43. DCViking says: May 22, 2010 8:26 AM

# jimicos says: May 21, 2010 11:27 PM
    ——————————————
    Maybe you can help him by telling him how you get sand out of yours…

44. Tim_Stead says: May 22, 2010 8:33 AM

Did diva post pictures of his surgical scar?
    Sorry Vikings but of course the most overrated QB in the history of football is coming back (he’ll die without media attention) and therefore your chances of winning it all are down the drain.
    What’s really sad is the Vikings had a shot to go out and get a quality QB but didn’t do it while in a holding pattern for diva.

45. vasaints says: May 22, 2010 8:52 AM

Favre on the ground! Favre on the ground! Looking like a fool when we pile his Diva self into the ground!!!.. wooohoooo… 9/9/10 not coming fast enough.

46. clemenza says: May 22, 2010 8:57 AM

let theFavre posts begin !

47. SwedishMurderMachine says: May 22, 2010 9:03 AM

Favre Favre Favre. Favrer Favrer Farvey Farve.. Ha Ha, Favre FAvre Favre FAVREITYY FAV RE.
    favre? Favre!

48. DynastyDays says: May 22, 2010 9:03 AM

As a huge Cowboys fan, I know we have to play GB and Minny on the road. Playing that game without Favre at QB would be a watered-down victory for us. We need to earn our playoff berth!!I pulled for Brett all year last year until our matchup in the playoffs. I told my wife midway through the season that I had a feeling the “Old Man” was going to hand it to us in the playoffs and he did….but I still love the guy. Well at least we play Tennessee early in the season and I don’t think that CJ2K is going to be on the field…..whewwwww!!! Go Brett, play till you can’t play no more!!!!

49. joetoronto says: May 22, 2010 9:07 AM

Watching Favre bitch slap the Packers is absolutely priceless.
    Bring it on.

50. 8man says: May 22, 2010 9:21 AM

Never been a big fan of this guy.
    That said, the NFL is far more dramatic and entertaining with him in it.
    I’m not wishing my summer away, but opening night sure looks interesting.

51. sand0 says: May 22, 2010 9:24 AM

I like Brett Favre as our quarterback.

52. Mack_20 says: May 22, 2010 9:26 AM

MooninLambeau you make me smile…. you sure must have a lot of time on your hands to come up with somethin like that…. Good thing he is coming back so we can watch ‘Califonia Boy’ tear apart that Vikings team… Hopefully the Queens make it all the way to the championship game before they CHOKE again… I feel bad for ya.. You got season tickets in LA yet?

53. Pervy Harvin says: May 22, 2010 9:40 AM

I heard the procedure went way easier than Mike McCarthy’s breast reduction surgery….

54. Fan of Football says: May 22, 2010 9:43 AM

PackerFanforDecades, you’re the reason hardly anybody respects Green Bay fans anymore.

55. matthoover says: May 22, 2010 9:49 AM

“I appreciate your concerns.”
    Classic! You’ve gotta love Favre. Playing the media like a harp from hell!

56. Fan of Football says: May 22, 2010 9:50 AM

Let’s see, since the “We should all feel sorry for New Orleans because something happened there 5-years ago” Super Bowl game:
    1. “America’s darlings” and their fans because pretentious arrogant fools
    2. The team booted 1500 season ticket holders so they can make even more money by building yet more luxury boxes
    3. Boycotted local media outlets who dared questioned the team for doing that
    4. Head coach and senior personnel got outed for being Vicoden addicts and thieves
    5. Hung their best defensive player and key contributor out to dry for months before doing what they were going to do any way, resign him
    …and the list goes on. Congrats guys, I never thought another team could do it. But you are becoming just as despised as when it was found out that the Patriots cheated during their SB run.

57. bleedpurple says: May 22, 2010 10:04 AM

You saints and packer fans need to start using your BRAIN before you start talking out your ASS!!!!!!!
    Most of you no nothing about football. Farve is one of the greatest QBs ever and does not need training camp-He knows how to play in the NFL and proved that last year. His team mates are fine with it so get off of it.GO VIKES.

58. zllabnkcoc says: May 22, 2010 10:13 AM

@PackerFanforDecades
    yeah, coz a near-40yo qb HOFer is gonna keep playing so he can be a back-up. it was the team that dumped him not vice versa. stop being such a bitter little bitch and get a new ‘hero’. favre was never worthy of that title, and you can see that now.

59. bleedpurple says: May 22, 2010 10:26 AM

Whodat going to beat the VIKES? Not the LUCKY ASS SAINTS. GO VIKES

60. bleedpurple says: May 22, 2010 10:45 AM

You saints fans need to worry about Brees because you know the VIKES DL is going to put a ASS whipping on him. They call it pay back for the late hits on Farve last year. Win or lose Brees will be hurting after this game. GO VIKES

61. 12greaterthan4 says: May 22, 2010 10:49 AM

does this sound familar…
    WHY DO YOU EVEN PONDER PASSING?! YOU CAN TAKE A KNEE, AND TRY A 62 YARD FIELD GOAL! THIS ISN’T DETRIOT MAN, IT’S THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!
    im sure we will see somthing along those lines again this year

62. Niner Jeff says: May 22, 2010 10:51 AM

Still won’t see him rank that high in fantasy football draft analysis: http://www.fantasyfootballstarters.com/draftAnalyzer.jsp

63. bigb says: May 22, 2010 11:26 AM

he had his yearly mini-camp surgery and everyone is still shocked
    lol

64. DJSlyBri says: May 22, 2010 11:33 AM

I think Favre has conceded that the Lebron Watch will overpower the Favre watch this summer.

65. PackFaninPackLand says: May 22, 2010 12:02 PM

To: PackerFanforDecades
    “Hey …. if I come back for another season to play here for the Pack, that will mean our gifted young guy Aaron Rogers isn’t going to get substantial playing time. The Pack could lose him, just like Atlanta lost me.”
    ———————–
    First off PackerFanforDecades, no player in the history of sports has ever said that, so, I’m not sure what utopia world YOU live in, but we live in a real world called Earth.
    Second, Rodgers signed a 5 year contract in 2006 as a rookie so he was already signed thru the 2010 season, plus, the Packers could have franchised him in 2011, so the earliest he could have left (if he wanted) was March 2012 as a FA.
    I’m so sick and tired of Packer fans that don’t know that and have this misguided notion that had Ted Thompson NOT refused to take Favre back, that Rodgers would have wanted out. Rodgers had a signed contract so his options would have been show up and be a man about it and wait for his chance, hold out and be fined every day until he showed up because he had a valid contract, or retire.

66. seals says: May 22, 2010 12:13 PM

I knew Clay was the jacked up on the juice the first time I saw him suit up last year. Cushing is taking the heat for what Clay schooled him on.

67. stetai says: May 22, 2010 12:20 PM

I love how Brett goes to great lengths to keep his surgery secret, people speculate from cyrptic words from a medical office, it blows up, so he comes out with a 2 sentence statement on his website, and this makes him a drama queen and a diva?
    It’s amazing how many bitter Packer fans there are out there. Unfortunately you weren’t on the other side of that glass in Lambeau.

68. purpleguy says: May 22, 2010 12:28 PM

And this news surprises who?

69. bluestree says: May 22, 2010 1:56 PM

@PackFaninPackLand; When the Packers play Minnesota who do you root for?
    The whole TT/Brett thing is history. BF is a Viking. Get off it if you’re one of us, otherwise you’re one of them.
    We have a great young team looking at making a run. Post pro Packers, or come out of the closet as a fake.
    Are you one of us, or one of them?

70. bigb says: May 22, 2010 2:23 PM

stetai says:
    May 22, 2010 12:20 PM
    =================================
    ummm Stetai sorry to burst your “i wanna bang brett favre in the buttocks bubble!……. but brett favre is the poster child for drama queens and has been since his painkiller days

71. badfish69 says: May 22, 2010 2:34 PM

Rodgers rookie contract was set to expire in 2009. 2012? Where do people get this shit? Hey let’s just pick numbers out of the air so we can sound smart.
    Anyway who cares? Brett retired dipshits. He went on national TV and bashed the organization. He made it very clear he didn’t want to be a Packer anymore. Get over it. Most non retarded Packer fans already have.
    Nice to see that Viking fans have set their sights high. “Yeah now we will beat the Pack twice again!!! Hhahaha!!” Who needs a championship when you have that right?

72. slegeir says: May 23, 2010 10:37 AM

Oh Goody, we have to listen to Viking fans brag about him some more. Another chance for the Pack to beat him in GB and the fans there to boo him off the field. We could’ve forgiven him (a little) for going to the Vikings for one year, but two is more than we can stomach. Go Pack Go.

73. Cannon says: May 23, 2010 8:04 PM

“We could’ve forgiven him (a little) for going to the Vikings for one year, but two is more than we can stomach.”-Priceless

74. jimicos says: May 24, 2010 6:57 PM

PackFaninPackLand says:
    May 22, 2010 12:11 AM
    Hey jimicos –
    Did writing that comment made you feel like a “big man” ???
    What a sad, pathetic P.O.S. you must be !
    ————————-
    No, thinking of you made me feel like a “big man”. But thanks for asking, numbnuts.

75. jimicos says: May 24, 2010 6:59 PM

c.carterhof says:
    May 22, 2010 12:43 AM
    ————————–
    Hahaha. Nice try. Have fun with Brett’s next season-ending INT. Get a head start making excuses now. Beat the rush!

76. jimicos says: May 24, 2010 7:04 PM

DCViking says:
    May 22, 2010 8:26 AM
    Maybe you can help him by telling him how you get sand out of yours…
    ————————
    I’ve heard this works: http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?douche01=douche
    You should know something about it. I’ve seen several people call you that.