Greg Olsen admits to initial concerns regarding Mike Martz

nfl_olsen.jpgBears tight end Greg Olsen admits that, when Mike Martz arrived as offensive coordinator, the 2007 first-round pick was concerned.

“The question that immediately arose was, ‘Where do tight ends fit in?‘ I
was right there; I wasn’t naive,” Olsen told Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times.  ”I know he’s one of the
best coordinators [in the NFL].  For me, the track record wasn’t there.
But I feel positive and optimistic, after conversations with him and
what we’ve done on the field, that I’ll continue to have a big role in
our offense like I have had the last couple of years.”

Olson feels sufficiently confident about his role that he envisions never leaving Chicago.

”In this process, never once did I say publicly or privately that I
didn’t want to be in Chicago,” Olson said.  ”If it were up to me, I’d play
my entire career with the Bears.  Obviously, there’s a lot more that
goes into it than that.  But I’ve enjoyed my first three years here, and
I’ve gotten better each year, and I want to be a staple in this offense
for years to come.”

Still, any concerns Olson had were justified.  Vernon Davis of the 49ers didn’t become one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the league until after Martz left.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Greg Olsen admits to initial concerns regarding Mike Martz”
  1. Bwa Ha Ha says: May 21, 2010 8:21 AM

As love blooms under the El

2. GirthyOne says: May 21, 2010 8:24 AM

”I know he’s one of the best coordinators [in the NFL].”
    I wonder if any of the players really believe that.
    This situation is a opportunity for Martz to resurrect his failed NFL career. Unfortunately, the offensive line for the Bears isn’t something to write home nicely about.

3. Drat says: May 21, 2010 8:43 AM

Olson won’t have as many catches as he did last year (which, really, was not that many, 50-something, I think). But he’ll have more touchdowns and first downs. And he will have the great pleasure of blocking for and protecting a QB who will throw a huge number of TDs this year. Good news, huh Olson? Just work hard and your team will win.

4. IStateYourName says: May 21, 2010 8:45 AM

What he meant to say…
    Where do overrated-draft-bust-never-made-an- impact-and-no-concern-to-opposing-defenses-can’t-block tight ends fit in…?

5. 34_Fan_4_Life says: May 21, 2010 9:10 AM

Vernon Davis still isn’t one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the league.

6. MidMonster1 says: May 21, 2010 9:11 AM

@IStateYourName
    10th in the league among TE’s last year. Try again.

7. downwithdansnyder says: May 21, 2010 9:19 AM

Vernon Davis also was a bit in over his head and needed to acclimate to the NFL I think. Just my opinion.

8. cyanide says: May 21, 2010 9:21 AM

IStateYourName , do you even know what a draft bust is?
    Olsen was their biggest weapon nearly 2 years so far.
    IDIOT. Read and watch football, you might learn something.

9. TheDPR says: May 21, 2010 9:30 AM

GirthyOne nailed it. Martz is living off of past (and fading FAST) success in the NFL. He may help Cutler from a fantasy perspective but I have doubts that he’ll actually help the Bears win games.

10. Bears 287 Packers -26 says: May 21, 2010 9:57 AM

The DPR…well usually when you are putting up fantasy points that also means you are generally scoring points and moving the ball down field.
    It’s the defense that needs to improve. Cutler will be fine.

11. Midway Monster says: May 21, 2010 10:11 AM

RossyRoss still sucks.

12. pacificamike says: May 21, 2010 10:44 AM

7-9 for the bears this season, with 25 picks by cutler

13. Brian_Baldingers_Finger says: May 21, 2010 11:04 AM

IStateYourName says:
    May 21, 2010 8:45 AM
    What he meant to say…
    I really wonder sometimes how a person can call themselves a fan and then post the most ridiculous statements like the one above. STUPID!

14. txtumbleweed says: May 21, 2010 11:53 AM

34 Fan
    Davis tied the record for TD’s last year!
    Davis was the No. 1 fantasy tight end in 2009 thanks to his 13 touchdowns, but he can clearly improve on his 965 yards.
    Sounds like a pretty good TE to me.

15. PackFanNChiTown says: May 21, 2010 12:04 PM

Everyone lauds Martz for this 2000 accomplishments.
    If Martz is actually “all that” nowadays, why was he unemployed before taking the Bears job and why did Lovie get rejected by SIX candidates for OC before finally settling on Martz?

16. Bious says: May 21, 2010 4:20 PM

Considering the Bears offense was terrible the last few years, he should just be happy that they will be getting actual yards and TD’s at a non-ridiculous pace

17. flipside715 says: May 22, 2010 12:12 AM

# PackFanNChiTown says: May 21, 2010 12:04 PM
    Everyone lauds Martz for this 2000 accomplishments.
    =====================================
    FairweatherfanNChitown,
    That’s because those six candidates have jobs and for them to leave their own team to go to the bears whose staff will likely be gone next year if Lovie doesn’t make the playoffs is idiotic. Martz was unemployed