Holmgren pleased with Rogers, but expects a suspension

Cleveland Browns President Mike Holmgren says he’s happy with the way defensive tackle Shaun Rogers has conducted himself at offseason workouts. But Rogers’ conduct away from the team facility — when he was arrested for gun possession — likely means the Browns can’t count on him for 16 games this year.

Holmgren told the Cleveland Plain Dealer he expects some sort of suspension for Rogers, and that he hopes to discuss the matter with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at the league meetings in Dallas this week.

“I’m pleased with how he’s working here,” Holmgren said of Rogers. “I think he messed up and he knows it. But I like how he’s working. Hopefully, he won’t make the same mistake again.”

Rogers has attended offseason workouts, but isn’t yet completely recovered from the ankle injury he suffered last season.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Holmgren pleased with Rogers, but expects a suspension”
  1. irishsamurai says: May 23, 2010 11:18 AM

———————
    hilarious!
    are you kidding me,yes i hope he doesnt attempt to board a plane with a loaded pistol again,everything else is fair game though

2. DB26 says: May 23, 2010 11:42 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    @ Irishsamurai:
    You should honestly take a reading comprehension class. One with common sense would understand that Holmgrens comment was in response to a direct question about that incident. Unfortunately for the point your attempting to conjure up, Rogers has not been in any sort of other trouble, so why would he need to broaden the answer to anything other than the one incident?
    You are a moron!

3. robert ethen says: May 23, 2010 12:01 PM

The only problem has been finding a spot for Shaun to park his M2 Bradley Tank while he is at the facility.

4. fordlaw says: May 23, 2010 12:19 PM

On a more pleasant note construction on Art Modell’s future gravesite continues. _ Link http://www.erocc.net/ready.html

5. Ravenmuscle says: May 23, 2010 12:33 PM

@DB26
    The main problem Rogers has is that while his body is 375 pounds of pure blubber…his brain weighs one ounce and is made out of “unrefined” blubber.

6. Dixon29 says: May 23, 2010 12:58 PM

# Ravenmuscle says: May 23, 2010 12:33 PM
    @DB26
    You should have produce thrown at you. You sir, are not funny, that was sad even.

7. Marc F says: May 23, 2010 1:05 PM

@# robert ethen says: May 23, 2010 12:01 PM
    if you’re going to be sarcastic about something, at least get it right.
    an M2 Bradley is not a tank. it’s a Fighting Vehicle. got it?
    the meeting in Dallas…. hmm Homlgren using his NFL yrs of experience to sway Goodell into a lesser sentence… i think.

8. GoBrowns19 says: May 23, 2010 1:42 PM

Every team Rogers has ever been on has sucked. I’m a believer in certain players, no matter how good they are, being losers…and I think Rogers may be a loser.

9. The Hogster says: May 23, 2010 2:10 PM

Cleveland fans are a bit sensitive over here, eh?? I can’t blame you guys since you’ve sucked forever and Holmgren is the savior-general-coacher-management-president.

10. WSP says: May 23, 2010 2:28 PM

“Rogers has not been in any sort of other trouble, so why would he need to broaden the answer to anything other than the one incident?”
    I guess a 4 game suspension for violating the substance abuse policy not ‘any sort of trouble.’ (Not to mention the strip club problems the Lions got him out of his last year in Detroit.)
    More to the point, he has been an overweight, lazy, half-time contributor his whole career. When he’s good, he’s very good–no argument there. While you never know when he’s going to show up, you do know that it’ll only be about 1/2 the time. If Holmgren could trade him for value, he would, but he can’t. Good luck, Mike. This is gonna be a rough ride.

11. David LeFebvre says: May 23, 2010 2:52 PM

Rogers made a mistake. A big, fat, stupid mistake. The average Joe can’t comprehend making that mistake because the average Joe isn’t a young black man with millions of dollars in the bank and a job that only requires attendance for two-thirds of the year. I work as a server in a restaurant, and while I was working downtown, I bought a knife to carry with me because I didn’t feel safe walking from work to the garage where I parked. I never had more than a couple hundred bucks on me. A professional athlete (no matter how big and strong) will always be a potential target for would-be muggers, and I can completely understand the desire to carry a gun for protection. I’ve locked my keys in my car before, gotten into an accident or two, and damaged a few nice things because of freak accidents and lapses in judgement. These things happen. For most people, they result in points on your license, speeding tickets, and having to buy a new phone or TV or something. For Shaun Rogers, that means getting arrested in an airport and an NFL suspension. It doesn’t mean he’s stupid, or a threat. It just means he’s human, and prone to making a mistake every now and then.
    As far as his value as an NFL player, he’s an elite athlete at his position. He’ll be missed by the Browns while he’s out, but he’s not irreplaceable. Ahtyba Rubin stepped up as Rogers’ replacement last year when Shaun was hurt, and there’s been much talk in Cleveland about moving Rogers to DE or being traded even before the gun incident.
    As a Browns fan, I hope Rogers is still on the roster, and able to contribute for most, if not all, of the 2010 season. If he’s not, though, I don’t think the season is lost simply because of one player.
    As a US citizen, I feel that our country is headed down a very dangerous path as we trade liberty for alleged security, and I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that people are more upset about a gun in a football player’s luggage than the nationwide trend towards a police state.
    As an NFL fan, I hope that Rogers is treated fairly by commissioner Goodell, and either given a suspension or left alone, based on the legal system’s findings, whether I find them to be morally right or not. It is important to note, though, that Rogers’ gun was legally registered to him, and his concealed carry license was current. This makes it a completely different situation, legally, than Plaxico Burress firing a gun that wasn’t his in a public place, and Marshawn Lynch’s possession of a loaded concealed firearm without a concealed carry permit.

12. Muck Fodell says: May 23, 2010 6:05 PM

@fordlaw
    It started with a chuckle. But as I continued to read, and look at the pictures and technical specs, it built to a crescendo culminated by five minutes of uncontrollable laughter and tears.
    That’s one of the funniest things ever. EVER.

13. flynryan15 says: May 23, 2010 6:14 PM

Police state ARE YOU KIDDING ME? As a airline pilot I can promise you that since the dawn of Commercial Aviation carrying a loaded firearm on an airliner has been illegal. This isn’t a matter of your right to bare arms this is a matter of untrained people carrying a firearm in pressurized tube of aluminum going 500+ mph 7 miles above the earth.
    Nice try though! For the record even local and state police can be denied carrying their duty weapon on a airliner.

14. sillydumpface says: May 24, 2010 9:49 AM

@ flynryan15
    “This isn’t a matter of your right to bare arms”
    there is no universal right to bare arms. especially middle aged women with giant hanging flab that makes them look like flying squirrels.

15. Must Reply says: May 24, 2010 7:00 PM

The comments on this issue are both humorous and troubling. While some cannot stop from making uninformed political or “I just don’t like professional athletes or the Browns” commentary out of Rodgers admittedly bone headed mistake, there is nothing really here to see other than what kind of judge he will get. While the charge rightfully can carry serious legal penalties, it is also based on the circumstances. The follow up investigation found no malice or intent involved and so the legal precedence is much clearer and no one should be surprised by very lenient sentencing or Goodell’s obligatory follow up.
    Rodgers has a permit to carry so possession of a loaded gun outside his home or vehicle is not an issue. The gun never made it past the check in point which is what screening is supposed to accomplish. No attempts were made to hide the firearm, deny ownership or otherwise jerk the chain of TSA or the Feds.
    This in essence is no different than granny forgetting her mini-mace canister is still attached to her key chain or Roxy the headbanger forgetting that her spiked wristbands were in her carry on. All three items are weapons, not allowed on airplane carry on and carry a felony charge.
    If you want Granny and Roxy to receive felony convictions and due jail time for their mental lapses than by all means continue to lobby for stiffer penalties on Rodgers. In the mean time know this, there are two airline pilots just in the past 30 days who did the same thing as Rodgers did. Both are still flying and no convictions are expected.
    Thanks to DB26 and Marc F for their comments