Dwayne Bowe's phrase is catching on

nfl_a_mccoy01_400.jpgLast week, we pointed out that Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe not only blew the whistle on the alleged practice of “importing” but also exported a potentially offensive phrase when explaining that his professed affection for quarterback Matt Cassel does not mean that Bowe is romantically attracted to men.

No homo” has become the new shorthand expression of the notion that a guy likes another guy without liking another guy.  Whether the phrase is offensive remains debatable.  Some think it isn’t, reasoning that the speaker is doing nothing any different from wearing an earring in his left ear only.  Others think that the twist on “not that there’s anything wrong with that” implies that, indeed, there is something wrong with that.  (And still others thought that Bowe was merely saying that Cassel is “no Romo.”)

Anyway, there’s a new member to the “no homo” club.  As pointed out by the folks at JoeBucsFan.com, rookie defensive tackle Gerald McCoy added the phrase to a Twitter post when talking about his weekend with the other draft picks invited to attend the annual weekend during which they’re all photographed for trading cards.  (It’s not the Rookie Symposium, which will happen next month.)

Man the rookie
class of 2010 is cool as a fan!” McCoy said.  “We had a blast this weekend in LA!  I
loved all the fellas!  No homo.  Lol!!”

It should be noted that McCoy made no similar proclamation when he admitted that his favorite movie is The Little Mermaid.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Dwayne Bowe's phrase is catching on”
  1. Redskins_Fan says: May 24, 2010 9:48 AM

You are so out of touch…. “No Homo” used in that context has been around for years.
    The Urban dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=no%20homo
    has had it listed since at least 2003… it’s probably older than that…
    This is not news…

2. rickinsthelens says: May 24, 2010 9:51 AM

Google the phrase, it has been around for quite a while. It is even in a parody of Lady Gaga on Youtube “Bromance”. And yes, I find it distasteful, but I am old, fat, and no longer in high school.

3. Dude17 says: May 24, 2010 9:52 AM

You’ve got a problem with him liking “The Little Mermaid”? Speaks more about you than it does about him.
    A “real man” doesn’t give a damn what others think of his movie choices.

4. tonyinmd says: May 24, 2010 9:52 AM

LOL…”No Homo” has been a term in use for at least 4-5 years Florio.
    LOL at it “just” catching on…

5. bednarik60 says: May 24, 2010 9:54 AM

“No homo” isn’t new lingo. “No Romo” though, that’s some good stuff.

6. shinsnake says: May 24, 2010 9:56 AM

urinal mint says:
    May 24, 2010 9:45 AM
    You’re roughly 5 years behind the internet on the usage of “no homo,” Florio.
    ————————————————
    Seriously, and the internet was about 15 years behind my childhood on the usage of “no homo.”

7. P1 says: May 24, 2010 9:58 AM

Yeah new like since 2002 before it showed up on t-shirts and in sitcoms in 2003 and 2004! Bowe is really ahead of the curve!

8. Cro-Mags says: May 24, 2010 9:58 AM

Wow this is a totally manufactured story.

9. Lance says: May 24, 2010 9:58 AM

Adults don’t use the phrase ‘No homo’ ….period. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the league office take notice behind closed doors.

10. megatron81 says: May 24, 2010 10:00 AM

Wow… Gerald McDoi-Doi sounds like a real winner. This guy is a complete sandwich.

11. jd says: May 24, 2010 10:03 AM

As stated above, this wasn’t coined by Bowe. It’s more played-out than it is catching-on.

12. billsfanaddict says: May 24, 2010 10:04 AM

i know its been mentioned already, but, long b4 i left my Vermont (not exactly a state known to be trendy or “with the times”) college in ’04 i had been hearing it. @this point its about as new as Clear Coca-Cola. VH1 coulda used it in an “i luv the 90s” episode man. So let’s all Get Our Preak on before someone psyche’s us out homie, word.

13. JoeSchmoe says: May 24, 2010 10:07 AM

Sooooooo outdated. It’s been a staple around New York hip-hop forever. It’s stupid, but it’s been around forever.
    Makes me think that they’re actually thinking about something along the homo lines if they feel the need to state that.

14. Big Stretch says: May 24, 2010 10:11 AM

No Homo is not new. There are way more than these 2 guys using the term.

15. Slow Joe says: May 24, 2010 10:13 AM

I love this blog, and I love you too, Mike Florio. No Romo.

16. mrlaloosh says: May 24, 2010 10:15 AM

I guess ~no homo~ is a little less offensive than ~no fago~.

17. homercles82 says: May 24, 2010 10:16 AM

Guys have to let people know they are not gay because you are not allowed to say you had fun with the guys friday night or say you love another man without people thinking you are gay.
    It is not an “eros” type of love but a “philo” type of love, as in brothership type.
    No homo.

18. CE11 says: May 24, 2010 10:20 AM

Florio you are officially an old head…”no homo” has been used for years.

19. D_Gryphon13 says: May 24, 2010 10:21 AM

On someone that’s insecure with their masculinity would use this phrase.

20. peskys_pole says: May 24, 2010 10:23 AM

Hey Florio – here’s another new phrase that’s gonna catch on real quick….
    “Where’s the beef?”
    You heard it here first Florio.

21. fresh says: May 24, 2010 10:25 AM

If I can remember correctly, it’s also a line used by Kanye on his first and best album

22. Deeznutz says: May 24, 2010 10:26 AM

I’ll be the 20th guy to say this, but “no homo”, used by athletes, is not new. Deadspin covered this a few years back.

23. SizzorB says: May 24, 2010 10:34 AM

Leave Florio alone. It’s clear that he did some solid research as a member of the press and found out that it’s a brand new phrase created by Dwayne Bowe.
    I only wish you had given a definition.

24. philbirds says: May 24, 2010 10:36 AM

No Romo isn’t even new

25. K-DIZZLE says: May 24, 2010 10:39 AM

I hear the word “Phat” is really starting to take off as well. Apparently, it is a new way to describe something that you really like. Whether the word is offensive to “big boned” people remains irrelevant.

26. Slow Joe says: May 24, 2010 10:39 AM

Florio, in your defense, I only heard this for the first time a couple of months ago myself. I’m a comedian, and one of the younger comics I sometimes share a stage with said it in his act. He told me it’s been used for years.
    Of course, he’s 16 (really, and pretty damn good) and I’m 39, so there you go.
    Also, I prefer “No Romo”.

27. Card Magnet says: May 24, 2010 10:50 AM

The photo shoot is a huge event called the “NFL Rookie Premiere”, and “No Homo” has been around for quite some time, before Bowe even hit college.

28. Drat says: May 24, 2010 10:56 AM

Bowo no homo?
    I think Bowe’s a homo. He’s very insecure about his masculinity. He was surprised and awkward when a female import arrived at this room. He spilled the beans, making plenty of his heterosexual teammates upset and … frustrated, very frustrated. Now why would he do that? Makes sense he’s homo. More likely, he’s just one of those young men stupid enough to have not figured things out yet. Bowo, take some time and reflect. Apply all three brain cells simultaneously to reflect on your life.

29. Ron says: May 24, 2010 11:01 AM

I have a suggestion for you Mike Florio: You are on my favorite sports radio show, The Two Live Stews every week. They often use that phrase and it’s not in a “homo” sort of way. I would ask them about the phrase the next time your on with them and have them explain it to you. Not a big deal and it’s been around for years.

30. brian91388 says: May 24, 2010 11:03 AM

no homo isn’t even the popular term anymore…Pause is. And even that is old. I’m not gonna explain how to use it, but that is the term now.

31. Bdrunk says: May 24, 2010 11:17 AM

Mccoy’s stretchy shorts make me feel a-flutter.
    No homo.

32. MrONE50 says: May 24, 2010 11:19 AM

Dwayne’s usage of the phrase is no different than saying “excuse me” after an ill-timed turd siren.
    You can use it too. The next time you and Gregg are in the VW with the Barry Manilow in the 8 track, and Gregg says, “I love you Florio”. Not because he is kinda flaky, but he is feeling thankful for the job that you provided him. Then you should say no homo 3 times. That way, you’re both cleared for the vehicle, music, and language.

33. D.R.Universal says: May 24, 2010 11:23 AM

LMAO!! Im glad soo many ppl shed light on the fact that this phrase has been around since at least 03!
    In the words of Jadakiss “A real man shouldn’t have to say no homo”

34. stnmmc says: May 24, 2010 11:32 AM

Come on guys, give Florio a break. After all he lives in West Virginia. The whole state is behind the times. Hell most of the residents are still debating the virtues of VHS over BETA.

35. bbeer says: May 24, 2010 11:35 AM

this post shows you how cool Florio is.
    this has been around for ages as everyone else has stated Florio, you homo.

36. sgcrys says: May 24, 2010 11:37 AM

“No homo” has been around, but I have mixed feelings about “no Romo.” I suppose the context determines everything.
    Since the 06-07 playoffs I have been using Romo as a verb. Pretty much any fumble or dropped pass to someone tripping, “He Romoed that one.” Works perfectly.

37. AllThat says: May 24, 2010 11:46 AM

no homo:
    Isnt’t that what the 20 year old said to Rapistburger after he asked if he could twizzle her?

38. CanadianVikingFan says: May 24, 2010 12:06 PM

After winning his first game as a Tampabay Bucc. Gerald McCoy was seen giving his coach a hug, noticing this McCoy held a press conference immediately stating he was happy for the win and the team and that it was a No Homo hug.

39. UG says: May 24, 2010 12:14 PM

no florio:
    I use this slang to describe a piece of journalism where the writer has done his research and is on top of the story.

40. Coach Stram says: May 24, 2010 12:16 PM

Whats happened to the game I love?

41. blackglass says: May 24, 2010 12:19 PM

Just in case you hadn’t heard, Florio, the phrase “no homo” has been around for YEARS. Maybe you could title the article “Dwayne Bowe uses a term I hadn’t heard, and now I am noticing others use it as well”.

42. Roxtar10 says: May 24, 2010 12:21 PM

Groovy story dude! Out of sight…
    Must be a pretty slow newsday….

43. stevelikesthesteelers says: May 24, 2010 12:45 PM

“no homo”
    About 887,000 results (0.17 seconds)
    Google could be your friend if you let it be.

44. DeuceDropper says: May 24, 2010 12:46 PM

This thing called the NFL is a great idea…I think it, too, is catching on.

45. DinGle_DanGle says: May 24, 2010 12:48 PM

i’m amazed at most of these SO called NFL anal-lyst that have NO clue about Nothing… thats amazing..

46. BigMacAttack says: May 24, 2010 12:55 PM

I like NOBAMA better.

47. BigMikeSkinsFan says: May 24, 2010 12:58 PM

florio,
    you are about as good at picking up on new trends as you are at reporting news.

48. Deacon Blues says: May 24, 2010 1:01 PM

I am pretty sure Fonzie was wearing a ‘No Homo’ t-shirt when he made that famous jump over a tank full of dolphins ………

49. tx_tuff says: May 24, 2010 1:13 PM

No Homo, No Romo, isn’t that the same thing?

50. mrnorfleet says: May 24, 2010 1:19 PM

its not bowe’s phrase and it is not just catching on…its played out….people are using it again because of people you like you making a big deal about it like its new…its funny how late you are florio…hence mccoy saying lol…you joke…

51. raw B says: May 24, 2010 1:21 PM

The Urban dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=no%20homo
    has had it listed since at least 2003… it’s probably older than that…
    This is not news…
    Couldnt have said it better myself…..No Homo.

52. CapsLockKey says: May 24, 2010 1:27 PM

Thank God for this website so I can keep up with all the latest fads.
    Favre writes the song “Pants on the Ground”.
    Sanders invents the word “shibacle”.
    Bowe coins the phrase “no homo”.
    Next thing you are going to tell me is Jared Allen came up with the idea of a celebration dance after sacking the QB.

53. CleanSlaton says: May 24, 2010 1:27 PM

False!
    All Oklahoma Sooners are inherently homosexuals.

54. chad says: May 24, 2010 1:30 PM

hahaha florio is so old and out of it….no homo is actually so old that it is barely even used anymore…..it used to be used WAY more than it is now…..this post is actually pretty consistent with the rest of the articles…..it was reported about a year or two after it was actually news

55. stankhornia says: May 24, 2010 1:35 PM

Lil Wayne coined the phrase after a video of him kissing his “daddy” on the mouth surfaced… Wayne said, “yeah I kiss my daddy, no homo”, and so it was born… Wayne says “no homo” all the time now on songs and interviews……

56. Diesteelersdie says: May 24, 2010 1:35 PM

I’m a metalhead and do not keep up with street/ rap slang stuff. never heard this before.

57. CapsLockKey says: May 24, 2010 1:43 PM

I think this sums it up best:
    Mike Florio = noob

58. Diesteelersdie says: May 24, 2010 2:15 PM

59. Jay-miah says: May 24, 2010 2:40 PM

yes fresh. thats correct. Kanye said “Everybody on my d**k, NO HOMO!” I think that was in the “Jesus Walks” song however long ago that was. (Way before taylor Swift lol)

60. peruano88 says: May 24, 2010 7:26 PM

actually Jay-miah, Kanye used that line in his verse for “Run This Town” with Rhianna and Jay-Z. The whole line is “It’s crazy, how you can go from being Joe Blow, To everybody on your d**k, No homo”.

61. MrONE50 says: May 24, 2010 8:01 PM

As far as somethig being old. Pointing out “no homo” has been around in this post since (May 24, 2010 9:48 AM )…. … so you guys poimting out something that is old, while being old at pointing out oldness is really pointless.
    In other words it’s old to point out that Florio is late on the “no homo” slang wagon,when you are late on pointiing out that facsinating fact.

62. FinfanJim says: May 24, 2010 8:30 PM

Are you kidding? Another stupid post about this non-topic? It’s part of the modern culture, Florio. Get TF over it…

63. Dem Franchise Boys says: May 24, 2010 9:24 PM

D.R.Universal says:
    May 24, 2010 11:23 AM
    In the words of Jadakiss “A real man shouldn’t have to say no homo”
    ———————————————————————————-
    Jadakiss may be right but in this case you may want to start saying it because I’m pretty sure quoting Jadakiss IS homo lol

64. oyoy84 says: May 25, 2010 8:28 PM