Chargers express disappointment regarding Kevin Ellison arrest

We’ve received plenty of e-mails from readers this afternoon regarding the arrest of Chargers safety Kevin Ellison for possession of 100 Vicodin pills.  And that tells us that not enough of you are clicking “next” at the bottom of the first page of the Rumor Mill.

So we needed to find a way to legitimately mention the case again.  When the Chargers issued a statement on the situation, we did.

“It’s disappointing to hear about the issue involving Kevin Ellison,” said G.M. A.J. Smith, the man who picked Ellison in the sixth round of the 2009 draft.  “We’ll continue to monitor the situation and let the legal process run its course.”

It’s the right move by the Chargers.  The league has exclusive jurisdiction over matters of this nature, and the teams have no power to discipline a player charged or convicted of a drug-related offense.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Chargers express disappointment regarding Kevin Ellison arrest”
  1. Iron Wolf says: May 25, 2010 3:51 PM

Didn’t seem to hurt Nick Kaczur’s career.

2. Eric Kidd says: May 25, 2010 3:53 PM

In all honesty, and this is something I’ve spent way too much time thinking about, shouldn’t it be “previous” at the bottom of the page?
    When I hit “next” I feel like I should be going to stories that were written later than the ones I’m currently reading, and when I hit “previous” I feel like I should be seeing stories written earlier than the ones currently on the page. The current system seems a bit counter-intuitive.

3. Chapnasty2 says: May 25, 2010 3:53 PM

Personally, I think you shouldl make the front page bigger so it includes more headlines. Just an observation.

4. boltmancraft says: May 25, 2010 3:55 PM

Friggin’ idiot. He was going to have every opportunity this year to shine. What a putz.

5. ampats says: May 25, 2010 3:56 PM

He heard he might be traded to the Saints and wanted to get on Payton’s good side.

6. Luke T Baker says: May 25, 2010 3:57 PM

All day today, clicking Next at the bottom of the Rumor Mill has not worked correctly. It takes you to page 2 (2.php) but the post list is not updating. You click Next on page 2 and go to page 3 (3.php) and you have the same set of posts as page 2.

7. The Black Cat says: May 25, 2010 3:59 PM

Huh, I expected him to be rather pleased with the arrest? “We’ve been looking for a reason to cut Ellison,” said AJ Smith. “Illegal possession of a controlled substance may be just what we’ve been hoping for!”

8. Hap says: May 25, 2010 4:01 PM

He’s playing with fire IF he’s taking Vicodin.

9. The Wishbone says: May 25, 2010 4:07 PM

@ Florio,
    “…not enough of you are clicking “next” at the bottom of the first page of the Rumor Mill.”
    You’re the douchebag putting in on another page. We didn’t set up this website. If we had, it would have more posts per page, no “continue reading” posts, and far less whining per day.

10. _ROCKSTAR_ says: May 25, 2010 4:18 PM

Did he get them from the Saints or he hopes to be traded to the Saints?

11. troll_aikman8 says: May 25, 2010 4:20 PM

Charger safeties are notorious for pain killer/cough syrup abuse.

12. sevenwords says: May 25, 2010 4:21 PM

INTERNETZ ARE SERIOUS BUISNESS FOLKS.

13. spliffbunker says: May 25, 2010 4:23 PM

the transition from the first page has been an ongoing problem here …it almost never works right
    maybe after you get the comment ratings back (which I could care less about ) this can get fixed because basically when a topic falls off the front page its dead as faras comments

14. Joe 6-pack says: May 25, 2010 4:34 PM

My sources tell me that he was making a delivery for Sean Payton.

15. RichattheLake says: May 25, 2010 4:38 PM

This site hasn’t functioned right for 2 days now, posts just disappear into thin air. Get it fixed.

16. Beast says: May 25, 2010 4:47 PM

Ok, so tell me what is the problem with him having Vicodin? I also read that the cops searched his vehicle after he was pulled over for speeding in a school zone. So tell me again, why was his car radomly searched? If the vicodin was a prescription, shouldn’t be a big deal.

17. footballphan says: May 25, 2010 5:09 PM

If teams have no power to discipline players for getting arrested of a drug related offense, then how did Pittsburgh suspend Santonio Holmes for a game when he was arrested for weed possession?

18. Cornerdenizen says: May 25, 2010 5:13 PM

@ Beast:
    Exactly. Finally, someone who makes sense.
    Like I said in my earlier post, Ellison is a professional football player– a sport where men run into one another and thus incur life long injuries. Vicodin is a pain killer –used by people who are in constant pain, like football players. It aint cocaine.

19. The Black Cat says: May 25, 2010 5:15 PM