Mike Patterson's truck bursts into flames

Here’s an odd one.

Eagles defensive tackle Mike Patterson’s GMC truck burst into flames Tuesday morning while parked at the team’s NovaCare Complex.  Thankfully, no one was inside the truck or close enough to get injured.  (Which means writers will now feel safer to use the accident as a potential metaphor for the Eagles defense this season.)

Security guards put the fire out and the fire department arrived shortly after, with the vehicle already “ashen and crisp” according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.   Patterson was inside working out, and came out to survey the wreckage.

An overheating car battery was likely the cause of the explosion.  So, um, everyone spend a few extra minutes today to check your car battery.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Mike Patterson's truck bursts into flames”
  1. The Real Shuxion says: May 25, 2010 12:35 PM

——————————————————

2. andfitch82 says: May 25, 2010 12:39 PM

I can see it happening. If I remember correctly from training camp last year, Patterson drives a huge F-350 with reptile style paint.
    The thing also had a nice sound system, entertainment systems, and more.

3. JoeSchmoe says: May 25, 2010 12:41 PM

Is that what he calls his junk? His ‘truck’? I thought every NFL players ‘truck’ has burst into flames at one time or another with all the hoochies they surround themselves with.

4. Cowboys915 says: May 25, 2010 12:42 PM

i been meaning to check my battery… they charge em for free at autozone right?

5. maddenchamp610 says: May 25, 2010 12:45 PM

something sounds kinda fishy about this one lol……its not THAT hot right now out here….overheating car battery?!?!?! if you say so……

6. Chop Block Murphy says: May 25, 2010 12:46 PM

Damn it Patterson! Stop hording those counterfeit Tebow jerseys in your back seat!

7. nafstap says: May 25, 2010 12:50 PM

The thing also had a nice sound system, entertainment systems, and more.
    an F-350 is a Ford not a GMC

8. funi says: May 25, 2010 12:53 PM

I was in Mississippi!
    Brett Favre

9. MrExcite says: May 25, 2010 12:54 PM

Patterson had a pot bust in 2008 . . . where there’s smoke, there’s fire ???
    So to speak.

10. MrExcite says: May 25, 2010 12:55 PM

Patterson had a pot bust in 2008 . . . where there’s smoke, there’s fire ???
    So to speak.

11. BleedGreen says: May 25, 2010 12:59 PM

Could have just been a faulty battery, or if theres a stereo system, something could have worked its way loose in the ground cable, shorted, and overheated the battery. Things happen. I’ve never had it burst into flames, but I have had batteries get hot to the point of the plastic starting to melt.

12. shaslers says: May 25, 2010 12:59 PM

I checked my car battery. It’s still there. Now what?

13. shaslers says: May 25, 2010 1:02 PM

I checked my car battery. It’s still there. Now what?
    Here’s betting that the trucks’ wiring was too skimpy for the massive load required by the audio/video system.

14. SHONUFF says: May 25, 2010 1:04 PM

Was “Pardon Me” from Incubus blairing from the car stereo?

15. 90ragtop says: May 25, 2010 1:05 PM

Looks like its time for Patterson to cut back on his consumption of those cheap bean burritos…

16. whodey1 says: May 25, 2010 1:09 PM

“I know it was because of the battery which wasn’t made by GMC but still……Score another one for the GM PR disaster.”
    Ok….
    “i been meaning to check my battery… they charge em for free at autozone right?”
    Wow…

17. GovtMinion says: May 25, 2010 1:15 PM

# JoeSchmoe says: May 25, 2010 12:41 PM
    ———————————-
    Classy.

18. favrecansuckit says: May 25, 2010 1:15 PM

How long until some dumb ass on here blames Vick now…

19. CommanderShepard says: May 25, 2010 1:15 PM

The NFL is so goosed up on steroids even their vehicles are having ‘roid rage these days.
    Shepard out.

20. Verbal Kint says: May 25, 2010 1:18 PM

“So, um, everyone spend a few extra minutes today to check your car battery.”
    OK, important safety tip. Thanks Egon.

21. SHONUFF says: May 25, 2010 1:25 PM

Was “Pardon Me” from Incubus blairing from the car stereo?

22. SDW2001 says: May 25, 2010 1:34 PM

Dude…whatever. I’ve never seen a car burst into flames from just sitting there. I’ve been driving a long time and seen a lot go wrong. I’ve seen wiring harnessed melt. I’ve heard of gas tanks exploding on impact. I’ve heard of complete electrical failure, oil fires, etc. But a battery just sitting there…it bursts into flames? No, I don’t think so.

23. DB26 says: May 25, 2010 1:35 PM

Oh no…. That will cost taxpayers more millions as GM will need another bailout to figure this out!

24. AirlineGuy says: May 25, 2010 1:44 PM

Happened to a guy in high school. Got off the bus from a road game and his truck was just a pile of rubble. Ended up being a short in the starter that caught the engine on fire. Funny thing is that parked beside it was a new 1997 Firebird and the drivers side melted with all its plastic body panels.

25. Opie says: May 25, 2010 1:55 PM

@ JoeSchmoe:
    “imports” is the politically correct terminology.

26. Rumur says: May 25, 2010 1:57 PM

Car batteries do not “just” burst into flames.
    If the fire was not set by a person, then it COULD have been an electrical short that caught the cables on fire. Even if the battery blows up from the short, there are no flames, just an explosion and acid and battery case parts flying everywhere. Batteries catching on fire? Doesn’t happen!

27. peskys_pole says: May 25, 2010 2:02 PM

andfitch82 says:
    May 25, 2010 12:39 PM
    The thing also had a nice sound system, entertainment systems, and more.
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — – – – – – – – – – –
    Stalk much?
    did yuo have to change your shorts after he drove by you?

28. Jeremy says: May 25, 2010 2:11 PM

Im sure its wasn’t just from the battery, it was from the excessive drain of some retarded stereo system…

29. DC_Bengals_Fan says: May 25, 2010 2:16 PM

“But a battery just sitting there…it bursts into flames? No, I don’t think so. ”
    Presumably the truck in question was also driven to the facility? There are circumstances under which a car battery can generate hydrogen gas, which when combined with heat can make the truck go boom. It’s possible that the hydrogen, if created, wouldn’t immediately detonate.
    There are other possible reasons an unattended car can catch fire. Flammable material under the catalytic converter is one. A guy getting revenge for messing with his girl would be another.

30. stan26 says: May 25, 2010 2:18 PM

I pity those poor people who live in Florida, Arizona and Hawaii.

31. DJSlyBri says: May 25, 2010 2:24 PM

They should have painted a Cowboys logo on the wreckage before Patterson saw it, so he would turn into Jefferson from Fast Times at Ridgemont High

32. myeaglescantwin says: May 25, 2010 2:24 PM

Mike Vick was behind this.

33. finsbooyah says: May 25, 2010 2:27 PM

When he first bought his truck and told his friends about it, did he refer to it as “hot fire”?

34. jimicos says: May 25, 2010 2:56 PM

“An overheating car battery was likely the cause of the explosion. So, um, everyone spend a few extra minutes today to check your car battery.”
    ————————
    Is that the part that goes “Vrooom vrooom” or the part that goes “Ka-chunk”?

35. 8man says: May 25, 2010 3:22 PM

There is a video of this on YouTube. A Patriots staff member caught it on tape.
    Figured I’d beat someone to the punch.

36. God's Own Silver and Blue says: May 25, 2010 3:28 PM

So in other words, Patterson’s truck and the Eagles’ secondary suffered the same fate.

37. mike428 says: May 25, 2010 3:37 PM

And who says Mike Patterson isn’t an explosive player?

38. The Black Cat says: May 25, 2010 4:13 PM

This is what happens when you make out with hoochy chicks in your truck, kids!

39. Landry's Ghost says: May 26, 2010 8:00 AM

This is what happens when you haul Andy Reid around in your truck, the two ton weight limit was exceed and the transmission caught fire!

40. Route36West says: May 26, 2010 9:40 PM

Now if something random like that happened anywhere in the Philadelphia region to a Giants, Cowboys, or Redskins fan we would be hearing stories on every sports website and television show about how Eagles fans blew up a rival fan’s car.
    I dunno why Im pointing this out I just think its funny how everyone acts like Philly is Bosnia to other team’s fans.