Tomlin takes over Roethlisberger's football camp

Apparently realizing that parents don’t view him as a positive role model for their children, Ben Roethlisberger has bowed out of the camp that was previously known as the Ben Roethlisberger Football Camp.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will take his place at what’s now being called the Coach Tomlin Football Camp, which will still take place as scheduled in late June at a Pennsylvania high school.

“At the request of Ben Roethlisberger, I have agreed to host this year’s Youth Football Camp,” Tomlin said in a statement given to the Associated Press. “Ben has expressed his hopes that this outstanding community program can continue despite his absence as he addresses issues regarding his personal life. The camp already has a significant number of kids signed up who are expecting a great experience, and both Ben and I want to make sure they are not disappointed.”

The camp has 20 corporate sponsors, and although none threatened publicly to pull out, the A.P. raises the possibility that the companies’ unease with Roethlisberger’s off-field behavior influenced Roethlisberger’s decision to pull out.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Tomlin takes over Roethlisberger's football camp”
  1. salty says: May 25, 2010 4:33 PM

“and over here we have the Big Ben restroom etiquette drill… We will time you how long it takes for each of you kids to harass a female classmate! Practice makes perfect! Ready set go…”

2. I MURDER HOES/187403 says: May 25, 2010 4:35 PM

“Roethlisberger’s off-field behavior influenced Roethlisberger’s decision to pull out.”
    she said no she said no she said no
    Tomlin gotta do it for the kids.

3. AllThat says: May 25, 2010 4:44 PM

Keep the Bennie stuff coming guys…..The restroom etiquette drill is awesome….That will piss offf Frank Burns and the other Steeler fans

4. 987654321 says: May 25, 2010 4:45 PM

Raplisberger is a disgrace. So are the Steelers for keeping him. I have disowned the Steelers until they get rid the cancer.

5. madhack says: May 25, 2010 5:06 PM

Do girls attend this football camp? It’s apparently open to ages 7-14, so it’s about his age range. Maybe they were just worried he’d start buying them drinks.

6. CleanSlaton says: May 25, 2010 5:06 PM

Ok kids, snap count’s on 2, on 2, ready BREAK!
    ‘Down…..set……RAPE! RAPE!’

7. I HATE mike florio says: May 25, 2010 5:52 PM

Hey, numbnuts madhack, that would be LT with the underage crap. She is 20 not 14.
    As far as”I murder hoes” Are you sure she said No?? You were there ?? You must have been that piece of S_-_ floating in the toilet. by the way, look at your user name, good example Dick

8. roofles says: May 25, 2010 6:11 PM

is he “gonna unleash hell” on those kids?

9. rolli1967 says: May 25, 2010 6:13 PM

Worthlessburger with his FURBURGER antics has nobody to blame but himself for his sorry state of affairs. He may not have been convicted of a crime in a court of law, but he has been convicted in the court of public opinion which is just as bad.
    ALL OF YOU POSTERS WITH CHILDREN ASK YOURSELF THIS SIMPLE QUESTION:
    As a father of six kids I certainly would not!!!!!

10. RAVNATION says: May 25, 2010 6:15 PM

Steelers gonna be dealing with this stuff for a long, long, long time. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!

11. trickbunny says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM

“Mommy, I don’t wanna go to Roethlisberger camp! He’s big, scary and icky, and he does bad stuff! Please don’t make me go!” (kid starts to cry…)

12. GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM

Haters gonna hate.

13. J-oh says: May 25, 2010 6:28 PM

Hey, “I HATE mike florio” why don’t you take the long walk off the short dock? You’re the only brainless moron backing Ben Rapes-A-Lot in here. There’s a reason everyone cracks jokes at that fat loser, because he’s a moron and can’t keep his hands off women. The good news for him is they only have plastic dolls in rehab, and you can’t choke something that doesn’t have a pulse. Oh, and the dolls never say no, so I guess he’s safe there too. Ben’s a worthless piece of junk. The Steelers know that, Mike Tomlin knows that and the brain-dead Steelers fans are FINALLY starting to see how big of a moron he is. Don’t be an idiot, admit he did it. Even Ben knows he did it.

14. Siggy00 says: May 25, 2010 6:38 PM

A few things.
    #1. It was announced two weeks ago that Tomlin was doing this. This isn’t new news at all but apparently PFT and ESPN needed more Ben web hits.
    #2. It was not Ben’s choice to not attend.
    #3. Parents have let it be known to “people in the know” that they are disappointed that Ben will not be at this camp.

15. rolli1967 says: May 25, 2010 6:39 PM

rolli1967 says:
    May 25, 2010 6:13 PM
    ALL OF YOU POSTERS WITH CHILDREN ASK YOURSELF THIS SIMPLE QUESTION:
    Would you want a 28 YEAR OLD drunken turd who whips out his dick among drunken coeds (some of whom were under-age) in a public bar, as well as doing other STUPID things in the past serving as a MENTOR to your children????????
    As a father of six kids I certainly would not!!!!!
    (fixed typo…forgot “28 year old” part….sorry)

16. CanadianVikingFan says: May 25, 2010 6:45 PM

Good on Big Ben for that decision. Tomlin is a class act and a good replacement.

17. thetruth says: May 25, 2010 6:52 PM

WHERE IS ITALIANARMYGUY? HE NEVER POSTS ANYTHING ON THE TEAM THAT HE SUPPORTS.WONDER WHY THAT IS? I SURE AM GLAD THAT I AM NOT A STEELERS FAN.

18. I HATE mike florio says: May 25, 2010 7:01 PM

Hey, J dick, when you show me what the ” Lady” with the DTF sticker is like, alittle about her and her back ground and it shows she is a innocent young thing then I’ll take my walk. Until then none of you know anything about this girl and what really happened in that Bathroom. I’m sorry but she was not raped!! She said they did not have sex and then after talking to her friend decided she might have. If you rape someone,I would think you are not going to leave a minuet amount of DNA unless you were F-ing a grand cannon. Maybe it was from the guy the night before. I’m not saying BB is in the right, he was a dumbass drunk that set himself up for this but saying he does underage girls and runs around raping women is a bit incongruous. By the why sounds like you know a thing or two about plastic dolls

19. pghsteve says: May 25, 2010 7:09 PM

rolli1967 says “Would you want a 28 drunken turd who whips out his dick among drunken coeds (some of whom were under-age) in a public bar, as well as doing other STUPID things in the past serving as a MENTOR to your children????????
    As a father of six kids I certainly would not!!!!!”
    _________________________________
    I wouldn’t either. I don’t want anyone to mentor my children except for my wife and me. That is one of the jobs we took on when we became parents. If I sent one of my children to a camp run by an NFL player (highly unlikely), it would be to learn football skills. For important life skills, I am their role model. I want my children to grow up to respect people and make good decisions, so I try to respect people and make good decisions. And I must be doing a good job, because even though we bleed Black and Gold in my family, both of my children think Mr. Roethlisberger is at best a jerk, possibly a criminal, and would be happy to see him playing in another city.

20. badthings says: May 25, 2010 7:16 PM

# I HATE mike florio says: May 25, 2010 5:52 PM
    _____________________________________
    Ya its just a bad luck that he keeps getting accused of rape huh? Moron.

21. badthings says: May 25, 2010 7:18 PM

GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM
    Haters gonna hate
    _____________________________________
    You are right, I do hate sexual predators.

22. marcman says: May 25, 2010 8:21 PM

Well, to all the Steelers haters out there…….It sure took you guys a long time for something to try to piss us fans of the GREATEST”team in professional sports to come along, i’d jump on it too…..But,one problem…we will still be kicking all your asses this year, just like most others,…..so…keep trying, but you aren’t even close!!

23. Siggy00 says: May 25, 2010 8:25 PM

Her friend accused him of rape. The same friend who was removed from the VIP area for calling him a rapist that night.
    She also has three different versions of how the woman got to the back area of the club.

24. FireJerryJones says: May 25, 2010 8:28 PM

So Ben gets another weekend off.
    That’s no OTA’s… gets first four weeks off and now no summer camp.
    Great gig.

25. I HATE mike florio says: May 25, 2010 9:31 PM

rolli1967, Read and understand, I can get you the link to a dictionary if the words I am writing is hard for you to understand….. NO “lady” in the bar was UNDER- AGE.. Under the Drinking age yes.. UNDER-Age means under the age of 18, You can NOT get into a bar under the age of 18 Period. Adj. 1. underage – not of legal age; “minor children”

26. rolli1967 says: May 25, 2010 10:51 PM

I HATE mike florio says:
    May 25, 2010 9:31 PM
    ————————————————
    I Hate…………,
    I understand the distinction there. I MEANT TO SAY UNDERAGE DRINKER COEDS, not minors under the age of 18. I knew and I thought everyone else knew there were no minors in the bar, so I did not think it was needed to specifically say “underage drinkers”. Next time I promise to be VERY SPECIFIC with my wording in case there are some thick-headed people in here who need every point spelled out word for word.

27. Steelintn says: May 25, 2010 11:01 PM

RAVNATION says:
    May 25, 2010 6:15 PM
    Not as long as you turds have been dealing with Stabby Ray Ray.

28. Steelintn says: May 25, 2010 11:02 PM

May 25, 2010 7:18 PM
    GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM
    Haters gonna hate
    _____________________________________
    You are right, I do hate sexual predators.
    So you must hate yourself…

29. FumbleNuts says: May 25, 2010 11:27 PM

If that mental case assaulted my college aged daughter, he would be in the hospital for a long long time!

30. salty says: May 26, 2010 12:28 AM

Steelintn… the number of posts you make are in direct correlation with how crappy you must feel… gotta love the guys who get all defensive when you flame their team :)
    patiently waiting his next brilliant response… (which will only prove my theory correct. and if he doesn’t respond, then we ALL win!)

31. Spungy says: May 26, 2010 8:16 AM

Maybe they could get Ms. Polamalu to hold a beauty and hygiene camp.

32. I HATE mike florio says: May 26, 2010 10:05 AM

rolli1967 if you read the first couple of quotes the person commits on girls at the camp ages. Thats what I thought you were commiting to

33. badthings says: May 26, 2010 10:35 AM

Steelintn says: May 25, 2010 11:02 PM
    May 25, 2010 7:18 PM
    GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM
    Haters gonna hate
    _____________________________________
    You are right, I do hate sexual predators.
    So you must hate yourself..
    ____________________________________
    Take you awhile to come up with that snappy response?

34. eam147 says: May 26, 2010 2:36 PM

Do you really think that the Steelers care if you don’t like them anymore? This is the Pittsburgh Steelers Football Club. The winners of “6″ Super Bowl trophies. The team with a world wide following and you really think that they care about some fans not supporting them? Now that’s funny…..

35. badthings says: May 26, 2010 7:58 PM

Ya eam just keep rooting for a sexual predator. Now that’s not very funny.

36. Steelintn says: May 26, 2010 10:49 PM

salty says:
    May 26, 2010 12:28 AM
    ———————————————-
    No one’s feeling crappy around here. I don’t get defensive when you flame the Steelers. Say what you want when my team beats your team :)
    But I do have a problem with people saying he commited a crime. If he did, he’d be locked up now.
    Go Big Ben and Go STEELERS!!!!!!!!

37. Steelintn says: May 26, 2010 10:50 PM

May 26, 2010 10:35 AM
    Steelintn says: May 25, 2010 11:02 PM
    May 25, 2010 7:18 PM
    GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM
    Haters gonna hate
    _____________________________________
    You are right, I do hate sexual predators.
    So you must hate yourself..
    ____________________________________
    Take you awhile to come up with that snappy response?
    ————————————————-
    I gave it the time your comment was worth…

38. badthings says: May 27, 2010 1:55 PM

# Steelintn says: May 26, 2010 10:50 PM
    May 26, 2010 10:35 AM
    Steelintn says: May 25, 2010 11:02 PM
    May 25, 2010 7:18 PM
    GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM
    Haters gonna hate
    _____________________________________
    You are right, I do hate sexual predators.
    So you must hate yourself..
    ____________________________________
    Take you awhile to come up with that snappy response?
    ————————————————-
    I gave it the time your comment was worth…
    ____________________________________
    Another stellar response!! Kudos….

39. Steelintn says: May 28, 2010 8:36 AM

May 27, 2010 1:55 PM
    # Steelintn says: May 26, 2010 10:50 PM
    May 26, 2010 10:35 AM
    Steelintn says: May 25, 2010 11:02 PM
    May 25, 2010 7:18 PM
    GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM
    Haters gonna hate
    _____________________________________
    You are right, I do hate sexual predators.
    So you must hate yourself..
    ____________________________________
    Take you awhile to come up with that snappy response?
    ————————————————-
    I gave it the time your comment was worth…
    ____________________________________
    Another stellar response!! Kudos….
    ————————————————-
    OK, I get it. You are one of those people who have to have the last word. You have to get a comment in no matter how stupid it is. Good job!

40. badthings says: May 28, 2010 8:48 PM

# Steelintn says: May 28, 2010 8:36 AM
    May 27, 2010 1:55 PM
    # Steelintn says: May 26, 2010 10:50 PM
    May 26, 2010 10:35 AM
    Steelintn says: May 25, 2010 11:02 PM
    May 25, 2010 7:18 PM
    GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: May 25, 2010 6:26 PM
    Haters gonna hate
    _____________________________________
    You are right, I do hate sexual predators.
    So you must hate yourself..
    ____________________________________
    Take you awhile to come up with that snappy response?
    ————————————————-
    I gave it the time your comment was worth…
    ____________________________________
    Another stellar response!! Kudos….
    ————————————————-
    ____________________________________
    No I just knew that if I responded, you would continue to make a fool of yourself. Looks like I was right.

41. Steelintn says: May 29, 2010 10:22 PM

May 28, 2010 8:48 PM
    ———————————————
    Oh you’re far from right, but you are an asshole.
    Go Big Ben and Go STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. badthings says: May 31, 2010 11:22 AM

Truth hurts huh ? Your team is classless, your qb is a sexual predator and your a dumbass. I think that about sums it up.