Reuben Droughns goes to Serbia

The last we heard from Reuben Droughns, the former Broncos running back was under investigation by the DEA for growing weed in his own apartment.

In a potentially unrelated story (but it would be more fun if it was related), Droughns has chosen to take a job in coaching.  In Belgrade, Serbia.

Droughns will join the staff of the Belgrade Vukovi in something called the Central European Football League.

Vukovi’s coach John D. Harper is fired up about it: “Everybody coming from the NFL is basically like a professor. He’ll
automatically help especially with the offense and help me with running
backs. I’m willing to take anybody that’s willing to work.”

And we’re actually impressed Droughns is willing to work anywhere.

36 responses to “Reuben Droughns goes to Serbia

1. Droughns last played for the Broncos in 2004. Since then he spent two years with the Browns then two years with the New York Giants. Why is this a Broncos story? 6 years since he played for the Broncos Gregg.

2. wow, really? WOW who cares!!!
    Mike, I played 2 years of college ball, why aren’t you writing stories about me?

3. Droughns said he called around to all the NFL teams and they told him to go to hell. Luckily there was a coaching job there.

4. [quote]# Rustopher says: May 26, 2010 2:04 PM
    [/quote]If he played 2 years for the Browns and 2 years with the Giants after he played for the Broncos, he didnt last play for the Broncos.

5. yem123 says:
    May 26, 2010 2:07 PM
    ———————————-
    because you’re gay.
    No homo.

6. Droughns warned not to underestimate the quality of football in Serbia. “We have a couple of defensive tackles here who are over 300 pounds and can do 60 reps on the bench press.”.
    “Some of the men on the team are really strong as well”, he added.

7. Ruban is a cool guy. I met him in person last fall out at the casino playing Blackjack. He is real which is rare to find in a pro athlete actually took time to have a conversation. His buddy that he was with was a prick though he thought he was a hot shot because he was kicking it with him.

8. Wow, multiple references to Florio……I guess the angry pothead and I are the only ones who realize that Florio doesn’t do every story……..

9. NarDawg says:
    May 26, 2010 2:27 PM
    [quote]# Rustopher says: May 26, 2010 2:04 PM
    You are a moron. If you can’t understand that paragraph, I don’t know what to tell you.

10. peskys_pole says:
    May 26, 2010 2:27 PM
    yem123 says:
    May 26, 2010 2:07 PM
    ———————————-
    because you’re gay.
    No homo.
    _______________________________
    HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAH!

11. Reuben is one of the BLACKEST black men I’ve ever seen. That’s probably why I’ve heard him go by the names of “Darkness”, “Midnight” and “Charcoal”.

12. I still can’t believe this site is run under NBC, with the absolute lack of comment moderation on some of these pages!!! hahahaa

13. I thought he was under investigation for crippling Brandon Jacob’s fantasy value a few years ago

14. NarDawg says:
    May 26, 2010 2:27 PM
    [quote]# Rustopher says: May 26, 2010 2:04 PM
    Stupid bastard!!!!!!

15. I agree with Tim. This is actually pretty interesting. Not everyone in the NFL makes it to the point where they stay there for 10-15 years. So, when your whole life has been based around football, adjustments have to be made to stay productive in your field of choice. Good move by Droughns, I’d say.
    I’m sure there are more of the thoughts of “Droughns is garbage” just b/c he did not excel in the NFL. But he is doing something related to what he likes, which I find admirable.

16. Why doesn”t he just play for a team like the Vikings where drug use is not only condoned, it’s encouraged?

17. Poor Droughns, he thought the job offer was in Siberia. By the time he realized his mistake it was too late.

18. [quote]# Rustopher says: May 26, 2010 2:04 PM
    I assume that he meant Ruben was so terrible/ineffective for the Browns and Giants that he didn’t actually ‘play’ there. Not that he played anywhere, including Denver, save his single 1000 yard season.

19. I hate the dorks that have nothing better to do than rip these stories. If you don’t think it’s relevant, don’t click and read it dipsh1ts. Makes me sick.
    Florio is GOD

20. Hello from Belegrade, Its true Ruben is a RB coach in Vukovi (Volves) Belegrade.Its also true that quality of local teams is not like NFL or collage teams,but here is huge fan base,and its growing for this sport that was on TV 8 years ago.Right now 3 TV station showing every week live NFL matches.The great thing is that many young kids are going to play American Football.Also qulity of local teams are up every year.PPL like ex-NFL player will sure bring some expiriance and help.

21. after playing in Cleveland, Serbia will not be a big adjustment…

22. Man don’t dis us ganja smokers I tried out for footbul one day I think, don’t really remember though.
    LIVE SLO MON!

23. Big rivalry games coming up
    Serbia vs. Croatia
    Serbia vs. Bosnia
    Those teams and their fans really hate each other

24. To the two idiots arguing about where he played, your both wrong. He started in Detroit then played for the browns,giants and broncos

25. One of us bloggers should go. We could coach all day and write about the NFL at night.

26. PULL&SEAL says:
    May 26, 2010 3:46 PM
    You’re an a$$hole!

27. GetOffFloriosSack says:
    May 26, 2010 4:10 PM
    Wrong again idiot. He ran for 1,240 yds as a Bronco in 04. He had 1,232 in 05 for the Browns. Not a bad 2 year run for a guy who didn’t actually ‘play’.