Pierce thinks Coughlin is on the hot seat

Linebacker Antonio Pierce, who played the last five seasons for the New York Giants but is currently mulling retirement, says his old coach Tom Coughlin will be coaching for his job in 2010.

He’s on the hot seat,” Pierce said on NFL Network, per ESPN.com. “I think everybody in the organization is on the hot seat. You are talking about a team three years removed from the Super Bowl. There are some fires lit underneath people’s butts now in that locker room and in that organization. Everybody is on high alert. It is going to be a very interesting 2010 season.”

Pierce mentioned the feud between defensive end Osi Umenyiora and former defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan, which started with a blowup during an August meeting, as an example of a problem that plagued Coughlin’s team throughout the 2009 season.

“That, I think, trickled down to the rest of our season,” Pierce said. “That’s still on everybody’s mind because everybody remembered that. Osi walking out of the team meeting. And he left the building. He came back and apologized and we moved on. We went 5-0 after that but it had an effect.”

Pierce, whose 2009 season was cut short by a herniated disc in his neck, said he’s leaning toward retiring instead of having surgery.

“It is healing but I am going to need surgery to continue playing,” Pierce said. “That’s not an option I am looking forward to.”

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Pierce thinks Coughlin is on the hot seat”
  1. smithopher says: May 28, 2010 6:51 PM

I think Coughlin’s on the hot seat too.

2. GurpBadesha says: May 28, 2010 6:56 PM

“I think everybody in the organization is on the hot seat. …”
    That means you think ELI is on the hot seat? Eli is equivalent to GOD in New York/New Jersey… Remember this, if you win a champioinship in New York, you will be remembered FOREVER! but regarding Coughlin, meh, I think they should have kept Spags

3. jimmers says: May 28, 2010 6:59 PM

4. BigMikeSkinsFan says: May 28, 2010 7:15 PM

from a douchebag who blew an airhorn because he didnt want to be interviewed to now going on TV and talking about shit he doesnt know.
    You are nothing but a punk Pierce. I hope you never play another down.

5. irishsamurai says: May 28, 2010 7:23 PM

smithopher says:
    May 28, 2010 6:51 PM
    I think Coughlin’s on the hot seat too.
    —————
    nice

6. robert ethen says: May 28, 2010 7:37 PM

Hot seat? Tom is being measured for a Coffin.

7. FedorTheChamp says: May 28, 2010 7:54 PM

What?? They just won a Super Bowl in recent times??
    If he is on a Hot seat then Del Rio should be in Hell!!

8. this class sucks says: May 28, 2010 8:12 PM

@GurpBadesha
    I don’t think keeping him was an option when he had a better job offer elsewhere. Not a better team, but a higher position.

9. downwithdansnyder says: May 28, 2010 8:13 PM

One of the dumbest things the ‘Skins ever did was letting Antonio walk. Typical Danny boy. Flash over substance. Brilliant…

10. downwithdansnyder says: May 28, 2010 8:31 PM

“i think antonio pierce should shut up, unless he wants to be remembered like tiki barber.”
    I don’t see A.P. walking out on his 8 month preg wife for a 23 year old. Tiki=Trash

11. jaxdolfan says: May 28, 2010 9:11 PM

Coughlin is a great coach and a great man. A descendant of the Parcells lineage.
    If the Gints run him out of town, they deserve whatever noob they hire.
    Jacksonville would take him back in a heartbeat.
    He is welcome in Miami as far as I am concerned.

12. The Real Shuxion says: May 28, 2010 9:13 PM

He lead the team that pulled off the greatest upset in football history and at the same time broke my heart.
    If he is on the hot seat then the Giants are run by morons. This guy was a leader who would not let his team quit even as the sixth seed (Or fifth?) in the NFC.

13. Bob S. says: May 28, 2010 9:28 PM

i think it means one thing. pierce still wants to come back to the giants this year and coughlin doesn’t want him?

14. Franchise says: May 28, 2010 9:50 PM

Coaching in New York, you are the hot seat every season.
    He was on the hot seat (and probably would have gotten canned) the year they won the Super Bowl.
    Lets also not forget the Jets shot Mangina out of the cannon after 1 year, AND let the best manager in baseball go a couple of years ago.
    I’d coach anywhere before New York.

15. BLeedGreeN4Life says: May 28, 2010 10:02 PM

BigMikeSkinsFan says:
    May 28, 2010 7:15 PM
    You are nothing but a punk Pierce. I hope you never play another down.
    ———————————————-
    couldn’t have said it any better.

16. CT.GIANTMAN says: May 28, 2010 10:12 PM

AS A GIANTS FAN, LAST YEAR WAS ONE OF
    THE WORST ON DEFENSE, THE WHOLE TEAM HAD SERIOUS INJURIES, SOME TRIED
    BUT ENDED UP UNDER THE KNIFE ANYWAY.
    AP, DID AS MUCH AS HE COULD, BUT WHEN IT CAME TO 3.1m NEXT TWO YEARS, THE $$$ WON. I WISH HIM WELL, NOT SURE I’D
    GO ON ESPN WITH THAT, BUT HE’S POINT ON! TC IS GONE, IF THE D GOES DOWN ALLOT MONEY SPENT ON: CANTY;BERNARD;ROLLE;GRANT ABOUT 129M WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

17. BleedGreen says: May 28, 2010 11:19 PM

———————–
    What? Mangini was there for three years. The 10-6 mangenious year, the 3-13 booing a hurt pennington/kellen Clemons experiment, and the 9-7 Brett favre year.

18. patpatriotagain says: May 28, 2010 11:36 PM

BleedGreen says: “The jets…let the best manager in baseball go a couple of years ago”
    if they were being coached by a baseball manager that might explain their suckiness…

19. Gröfaz says: May 29, 2010 1:16 AM

So the neck is to blame that he’s a washed up bum.
    Right.

20. jcjets says: May 29, 2010 2:12 AM

Giant fans do NOT love Eli. They think he is a good QB (which he is) but he is not a legend in NY. I’m constantly defending him and I dont even like the giants. Another few years of loosing and they’ll be calling for Eli’s head in NY.

21. Cambodian Breast Milk says: May 29, 2010 2:36 AM

Tom Craplin’s been on the Hot Seat since he took the job in NY. The only thing that saved his horrible ass was the SB win. NY is a horrible place to coach. The only thing the fans are loyal too is being a bunch of scumbags.

22. mrnorfleet says: May 29, 2010 5:29 AM

antonio, what you are suffering from is classic in older players no longer wanted by the organization they accomplished so much with…them neglecting you makes you feel bitter and take shots at your former team……..take 2 of these and call me in the morning……..that’ll be 10,000 dollars…….if you see westbrook give him my number…….

23. screaming sheep says: May 29, 2010 7:31 AM

John Fox, welcome to New York.

24. Jaydub says: May 29, 2010 9:13 AM

After the meltdown from John Mara at the end of last season, I’d say that unless TC gets them back to the playoffs and wins at least one game, he might be gone. Mara was furious, and we all saw who the first one to go was(Sheridan), followed by Mike Waufle(Dline coach).
    As a Giant fan, I like TC, but the guy doesn’t get a free pass because of what happened 3 seasons ago. 1st round exits from the playoffs dont impress me. How DelRio and Andy Reid are still with Jax and Philly is beyond me. They obviously can’t get over the hump, which in the case of Philly is a beautiful thing, but I’d have never kept either of them for this long if I was signing the checks for either team.

25. Hap says: May 29, 2010 9:48 AM

The Giants are as big a mess as Philly, with The Washedupington RedButts a close 3rd.

26. Jaydub says: May 29, 2010 6:54 PM

The Giants are a mess?! How do you figure?
    It’s the first I’ve heard of it