Tony Gonzalez has a rough plane ride

At a time when yours truly is revisiting a strong unwillingness to climb into a germ-filled sardine can and allow a man or woman I’ve never met (nor drug tested) to transport me at a high rate of speed many thousands of feet above the ground, I’m looking for any reason to continue to adhere to my refusal to get on an airplane.

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez has given me enough ammunition to get through at least the next four months.

On his Twitter page, Gonzalez writes that he had a harrowing experience in the sky on Thursday.

“Long day but SO glad to be home!!” Gonzalez says.  “We took off and
the right engine went out.  Had to make an emergency landing.  Its a good
day to be alive!!

Apparently, he’s referring to this Delta B-767 that took off from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and returned after an indicator light “suggested a problem with one of the engines.”

Meanwhile, we have a feeling that Gonzalez will be using this “good day to be alive” to buy some new underwear.  Or maybe he’ll just eat a bag of pork rinds and watch bowling.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Tony Gonzalez has a rough plane ride”
  1. midnightgrn says: May 28, 2010 9:08 AM

You missed one thing…..planes have wings and glide! It’s not a helicopter, it’s not gonna drop like a rock. Glad to hear nothing bad happened to Tony

2. Bearfan54 says: May 28, 2010 9:16 AM

And you know all the airplane mechanics are sober….

3. Supersuckers says: May 28, 2010 9:21 AM

For the very reasons you stated Florio if one does not question getting on a airplane then they are just not that smart.

4. Brewster says: May 28, 2010 9:31 AM

You’re a brave man Florio, exposing all of your idiosynchries to this crowd.
    Stand back, here come the comments.

5. Rex Grossman says: May 28, 2010 9:38 AM

Mike Florio gets a 30 second spot on “Football Night in America” and all of a sudden he’s John Madden.

6. Citizen Strange says: May 28, 2010 9:44 AM

It looks to me like Gonzalez and the Falcons are already lining up excuses for their season opener loss to the Steelers.
    GO STEELERS!

7. mjace71 says: May 28, 2010 9:50 AM

I also look for reasons to not use electricity and cars…stupid technology!

8. davidc45629 says: May 28, 2010 9:54 AM

Chucker

9. mama tried says: May 28, 2010 10:03 AM

Plane rides ain’t jack Flo!! When I was 9 we took a Pan Am double decker from Germany straight to Hawaii!! A 20 hour non-stop flight!! Being an Army brat since day 1, I practically grew up on planes. Stop being a puss!

10. Hap says: May 28, 2010 10:17 AM

How rough will the ride be if The Falcons SUCK again this year ?

11. realitypolice says: May 28, 2010 10:20 AM

Supersuckers says:
    May 28, 2010 9:21 AM
    ============================
    Unsafe? Air travel is far safer than automobile travel. More people will be killed on our nation’s highways this year than have been killed in airplane crashes in all of recorded history. On 9/11/2001, arguably the worst day ever to be on a plane, over 99.999% of people in the world who got on planes that day landed safely (246 out of approximately 2 million who fly per day) .
    Trusting one stranger to fly you? When you drive on a highway, you are relying on hundreds of strangers to not run into you. At least the one person who will be flying your plane won’t be a drunk teenager texting her boyfriend while going 90mph.
    Fear of flying is a phobia. A mental disorder. It is no more based in logic than fear of heights, people, the number 13, spiders, blah blah blah.
    Get help.

12. sportsfan7337 says: May 28, 2010 10:44 AM

People always say: “You’ll go when it’s your time to go.”
    BUT, what if your up there when it’s the pilot’s time to go?
    Good luck with that!

13. EasyDrinkingBuschLight says: May 28, 2010 10:44 AM

Helicopters don’t drop like a rock either. A helicopter is designed to autorotate, which means that the rotors keep rotating after power loss.

14. Manbearpig says: May 28, 2010 10:44 AM

The engine went out because Gonzalez was hopping around on one foot trying to get the water out of his ear.

15. grendel says: May 28, 2010 10:44 AM

# Citizen Strange says: May 28, 2010 9:44 AM
    GO STEELERS!
    ______________________________________
    RIIIIIGHT…. Because your starter will be a guy who couldn’t even keep a roster spot as our 3rd string QB. The good news is that ole slow-arm Leftwich will make our pass rush look good since they’ll have that extra time to get to him and an immobile target to shoot for.

16. Diesteelersdie says: May 28, 2010 10:47 AM

GO STEELERS!
    —————————————-
    Yup, the Steelers the most feared team in the league!! hahahahaha. that was funny. I think my Raiders would whoop your ass again like last year. You and your sleaze-bag frat “bro” QB

17. BenRapistberger says: May 28, 2010 10:52 AM

Rex Grossman says:
    May 28, 2010 9:38 AM
    ——————————
    Gah, you beat me to it.

18. Compton2k10 says: May 28, 2010 10:54 AM

“Anyone who fears airline travel is irrational, foolish, and incapable of subjective analytical thought. ”
    While that may be generally true, my father died in a plane crash in the 80′s so I have a fear of flying. (Whether it’s irrational or not).. I fly if I have to, I’m not like John Madden, but it’s a very stressful situation for me.. I know the odds of me AND my father dying in a crash are 100 billion to 1 if not more.
    I also know someone struck by lightning.. and another that was attacked by a shark..(Both lived. lightning strike required resuscitation though) Fortunately, I don’t fear scuba diving or thunderstorms :)…

19. Flaccodelic says: May 28, 2010 10:55 AM

Hey realitypolice- that was one lengthy, thoroughly-researched and convincing case in support of the fact that you are a douchebag.

20. FranknWeezer says: May 28, 2010 10:56 AM

I live in Jackson, Miss., and I would love to know what Tony G was doing here. Pretty sure it’s not normally a Delta stop on the way from Atlanta to LA.

21. bobinpuertorico says: May 28, 2010 11:04 AM

Florio, I can tell you from personal experience, there is nothing to worry about. I have flown many hundreds of thousands of miles, not only is flying safe, but you get to visit some unexpected places. For example, once I was flying from Philadelphia to San Juan, PR and we were given the opportunity to visit Orlando, due to some engine problem. As we were landing, I could see the reception committee of fire trucks and ambulances that lined the runway. So even if we had crashed on landing, there was still a chance that some of us would have survived.

22. tdawg69 says: May 28, 2010 11:12 AM

Never thought I’d say this, but I’m with Florio on this one. Don’t spout out your crap about air travel being safer, yada yada yada… Here’s all then facts you need to know. How many people typically die when a commercial plane crashes? How many people typically die when a car crashes? Right! I have a much better chance of walking away from a car crash.
    And in my car, I at least have the control of my vehicle.
    And to the moron who posted that planes glide, lol. 767′s do not glide! Both engines go out and that bad boy is dropping like a rock. This ain’t no Cessna!

23. JoeSixPack says: May 28, 2010 11:32 AM

Florio… statistically you are safer on a plane than you are in your own bathroom.
    So fly with complete confidence but FOR GOD’S SAKE whatever you do DON’T GO TO THE BATHROOM ON A PLANE!!!
    (That being said, I don’t know why they don’t just PUT THE PARACHUTE ON THE PLANE ITSELF PEOPLE!!!)

24. eagledan says: May 28, 2010 11:50 AM

It use to be that, Taking off and landing, were the worst things about flying!
    Now the worst things about flying, are getting to the airport, and then getting to the plane!
    Once at Mcguire AFB for a flight overseas, my dad was seeing me off, when they ran up the engines prior to boarding, My dad said I hope thats not your plane! He said the #2 engine is bad and #3 doesn’t sound too good either! I discounted this because my father had never been on an airplane!
    An hour and half out #2 engine failed, and as they started back to NJ the # 3 failed also!
    Unfortunately they trotted out another plane and we were on our way in a few hours!

25. nyj-gate D says: May 28, 2010 11:51 AM

franknweezer he wasn’t in Jackson, Mississippi you idiot. He was in Atlanta (the ATL airport is called Hartsfield-Jackson).

26. ShruggingGalt says: May 28, 2010 11:59 AM

tdawg69, um, big jets can glide for a VERY LONG TIME. (long enough to land in some cases)
    Air Transat Flight 236 ran out of fuel over the Atlantic Ocean and was able to GLIDE into the U.S. airbase 120km away. They made it 19 minutes gliding; and no one was killed during the landing.

27. realitypolice says: May 28, 2010 12:04 PM

Flaccodelic says:
    May 28, 2010 10:55 AM
    ==============================
    That’s pretty good. But I’ve been called worse things by better people.
    I think I will put a period after “case”, delete the rest, and take it as a compliment.

28. realitypolice says: May 28, 2010 12:06 PM

ShruggingGalt says:
    May 28, 2010 11:59 AM
    =============================
    Nice work. I love in when factless blowhards get their faces shoved in their stupidity by someone who actually bothers to do a little research.

29. realitypolice says: May 28, 2010 12:15 PM

tdawg69 says:
    May 28, 2010 11:12 AM
    And in my car, I at least have the control of my vehicle.
    ===============================
    You’d better be more likely to survive a car crash- you’re about 3 million times more likely to be in one.
    The odds of being killed in a plane crash are 6.06 million to one. Meanwhile, 4 people are killed in car crashes PER HOUR.
    That’s awesome that you have control of your vehicle, what about the hundreds of other cars on the road with you?
    LOL- you just go on there rationalizing your phobia. It’s OK- we know you can’t help it.
    And that gliding comment really shows your stupidity- read a book dude.

30. realitypolice says: May 28, 2010 12:16 PM

@Compton2k10-
    You get a pass. If I were you, I would hate to fly, too.
    Sorry about your dad.

31. se18a29 says: May 28, 2010 12:36 PM

I love how the rich so value their pathetic lives. What a dumbass. Talk to military pilots who have lost one or both engines and made it back safe. Or the pilot with no engines landing in the Hudson river. Gonz is pussy.

32. Occam says: May 28, 2010 12:37 PM

“Air Transat Flight 236 ran out of fuel over the Atlantic Ocean and was able to GLIDE into the U.S. airbase 120km away.”
    Let’s not forget the recent Hudson River landing, which was done in a glide situation.

33. hotchick says: May 28, 2010 12:45 PM

So a plane is in the air and it loses an engine, it then lands safely and no one is injured. Doesn’t that do more to show that air travel is safe rather then show it is unsafe? The plane BROKE IN THE AIR, MILES ABOVE GROUND, and yet it still did not crash.
    (though from the original posting is that even true or did a warning light just come on and Tony G assumes they lost the engine?)

34. Supersuckers says: May 28, 2010 12:47 PM

Reality police,
    I’ve seen some scary shit on planes. Go to youtube and type in cockpit voice recordings. You’ll get a plethora of stories of near mid air colisions. Tapes of pilots seconds before their death. Tapes of pilots snoring. How about the Northwest fellas that were supposed to land in minneapolis but ended up in northern wisconsin before they woke up. ill take my chances 70 mph straight on then 600 straight down when at all possible.

35. hotchick says: May 28, 2010 12:51 PM

nyj-gate D says:
    May 28, 2010 11:51 AM
    Really is everyone an idiot who does not know the name of every airport in the world and might confuse one with the name of a city near them???
    I think most people who read your post, and hold the ability to be social in the world, are not looking at franknweezer as the idiot.

36. MSWRavens says: May 28, 2010 1:29 PM

That’s hardly a life threatening experience – and no reason NOT to get on a plane. They could’ve finished the trip without one engine!
    If you want a scary story, look into Samari Rolle’s experience in Africa a couple years ago when the plane he & his wife were in almost crashed. I think they actually lost a cabin door or something…don’t remember the details…but they actually almost crashed!

37. Howie Handles says: May 28, 2010 1:38 PM

“Air travel is far safer than automobile travel. More people will be killed on our nation’s highways this year than have been killed in airplane crashes in all of recorded history. ”
    ———–
    Those are flawed stats propagated by the airlines. How many, millions drive in cars everyday, than travel on planes? Of course there’s going to be less people dying from plane crashes, because there are so many more traveling via cars.
    I can’t stand flying either. But, a 3 hr plane ride certainly beats a 24 car ride.

38. Flaccodelic says: May 28, 2010 1:50 PM

realitypolice – Your superior intellect is apparent to one and all, but see hotchick’s comment above for some much-needed advice on how to make a point without the unnecessary condescension.
    Now, shake off that achy mouseclaw and get out of your parent’s basement- those comic books aren’t going to sell themselves.

39. realitypolice says: May 28, 2010 2:35 PM

Flaccodelic says:
    May 28, 2010 1:50 PM
    ========================
    You tell me I live in my mother’s basement and I’M condascending? Any mirrors in your trailer?
    I assure you I don’t live in my mother’s basement or sell or read comic books. What I do is fly over 100,000 miles a year and drive over 40,000, so I think I am entitled to comment on this subject.
    As far as my condascending tone- I think that given the tone of tdawg69′s attacks on people defending air travel, he deserved it. If you don’t agree, the next time you see my screen name, skip past my comment.

40. realitypolice says: May 28, 2010 2:40 PM

Supersuckers says:
    May 28, 2010 12:47 PM
    Reality police,
    ======================
    Yeah, and I’ve seen some scary shit on highways. Like every freakin day.
    The point is- everyone sees what they want to. You go to youtube and find scary video and audio tapes- I see people veering out of their lane because they are texting while driving, people staggering out of bars to drive home, and old people who can’t see over the steering wheel hitting the gas instead of the break and driving into walls.
    On a long trip, I’ll take my seat reclined with a book in my lap and a scotch in my hand over hours and hours of fighting traffic and watching for lunatics.
    Each to his own I guess.

41. Supersuckers says: May 28, 2010 3:04 PM

realitypolice,
    Ever land in 35 mph cross winds in Las Vegas with temp 100 degrees without the pilot saying it might be a bit bumpy? Thats scary. Shit flying everywhere. Flight attendents with panicked looks on their faces. Even the most frequent and calm flyer with a death grip on the arm rest. plane hitting the runway and it feels like your walking at 185 mph. Then everyone erupting in relief when the plane slows enough to know we arent going to die. Thats the part of flying that I dont like.

42. PackAttackBackMan says: May 28, 2010 3:24 PM

@ Supersuckers
    ————————————————–
    I had a similar experience traveling from LV to San Diego. Worst flight i have ever taken.
    With that said, not a huge fan of flying, but sure does beat driving……

43. Supersuckers says: May 28, 2010 6:33 PM

PackAttackBackMan says:
    May 28, 2010 3:24 PM
    @ Supersuckers
    ————————————————–
    With that said, not a huge fan of flying, but sure does beat driving……
    ———-
    vegas can be nasty taking off and landing. I had been on dozens of flights before…little bumps no big deal…smooth as silk but when you have one of those….took me 3 years to get back on one.