Goodell talks about Roethlisberger's return

In Roger Goodell’s first televised words on Ben Roethlisberger since the league allowed the Steelers quarterback to re-join his team,  the NFL Commissioner expressed confidence Roethlisberger is beginning to “understand his responsibilities.”

“Since the time we issued the suspension and asked him to go through the
evaluation Ben’s been working hard and cooperating fully with all of
our medical experts and with the league program,” Goodell told Tom Curran of Comcast Sports New England. “I spoke
to him earlier and I think he’s understanding his responsibilities as
an NFL player. He can resume his activities but he still has work to do
and he knows that.”

Goodell was at UMass Lowell for the posthumous awarding of a Doctorate of Humane Letters for his late father Charles.  (For background on Charles Goodell’s fascinating story, check out this article.)

Curran also spoke to Goodell about the American Needle case (Goodell thinks too much importance has been placed on decision) and the recent hGH scandal involving Santana Moss.

The whole interview is worth a look; attaboy Tom!

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Goodell talks about Roethlisberger's return”
  1. FLYBOY says: May 29, 2010 1:36 PM

Ruthlessonfurburger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. BenInAZ says: May 29, 2010 1:36 PM

Wow, it only took him 29 years and two rape accusations to learn how to be a man. Give him a medal.

3. trickbunny says: May 29, 2010 1:38 PM

Gee, it’s just… touching… that Ben “understands his responsibilities as an NFL player”. Funny how, as soon as an NFL player gets in hot water, they are able to understand. Let’s see how well he understands next time he’s drunk in a bar and surrounded by hot young women.
    Scumbag.

4. brownsfn says: May 29, 2010 1:42 PM

Ya this rapist is a model citizen now *eyesroll*

5. Poo Flinging Monkey says: May 29, 2010 1:53 PM

I’m proud of Ben. He’s gone more than two months without a rape allegation.
    Bravo, Rapenstein.

6. Ravens Macg says: May 29, 2010 1:54 PM

Don’t believe it ! He’ll finally “get it” when he’s in jail and being taken like Ned Beatty in the movie Deliverance !!!! I mean, he already looks like a hog.

7. .RebaTe says: May 29, 2010 1:54 PM

# trickbunny says: May 29, 2010 1:38 PM
    [ snip mindless stupidity ]
    Scumbag.
    heh heh…
    At least you got Roethlisberger and the Steelers to constantly rag on for to cover for your own teams yearly failures (the Clowns). And don;t forget your own roster filled with convicted felons, something that at least BR is not…
    Have at it Cleveland lowlife…
    We still have you to laugh at.

8. Slow Joe says: May 29, 2010 2:06 PM

Why does every Roethlisberger thread always boil down to:
    1. Comments accusing him of rape, which he was never convicted of and no one knows for sure what happened in that bathroom, and
    2. Comments who seemingly blindly protect him, no matter how obvious it is that he’s a douchebag?
    The only thing we can be certain of is that he’s an over-entitled self-centered asshole. I personally don’t like him, but I have never once called him a rapist, because I don’t know that. So if I make fun of him, I’ll make a joke about his douchebaggery and that’s it.
    Whenever I see these epic-length flamewars between commenters about Big Ben (that not coincidentally are usually drawn between team affiliation lines), it is all I can do to not roll my eyes completely out of my head. And wonder if you people all have, you know, jobs.

9. Just JTO says: May 29, 2010 2:19 PM

You guys who hate the Steelers and despise Roethlisberger can say what you want, but think about the precedent that Goodell has set. He suspended a player who was not charged with any crime for six games. Hell, he could suspend half the league (all those “half the league doesn’t rape women” comments/jokes aside).
    Just think about it for a moment. Close your eyes and think of ANY player – maybe one of your favs. Someone accuses that plyer of a crime and state authorities do an intense investigation and decide there is no evidence to support any charges – and Goodell still suspends for X amount of games. Kinda scary I think.
    Then there are the players who are CHARGED with crimes who have not been severely punished. Hmmmm. It makes me wonder what Goodell’s thought process was here??????

10. ArtModellsPimp says: May 29, 2010 2:29 PM

Goodell’s gonna regret giving the RAPIST another opportunity. The next unlucky female that crosses Ben’s path should sue the shit out of Roger, simply for being Rapistberger’s “enabler.”
    @.RebaTe
    Just can’t get past last year’s smackdown, huh?
    Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

11. WegotSix says: May 29, 2010 2:33 PM

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO! Talk trash if you got 6… guess that leaves the floor all to me! :~) Ravens, Browns, Bungholes, and the rest of the teams in the NFL, BIG BEN going to kick your as* again and again. So sorry the little ( DTF ) wench failed. Don’t take my word for it, just wait until your team bows down to the Steelers and BIG BEN. Ravens, bungholes, brownies, on your knees bitc*es! Beg for mercy!

12. svenhoek says: May 29, 2010 2:38 PM

The Stairway to Seven
    Haters gonna hate. I love reading the comments in here. Reminds me why I am proud to be a Steelers fan and not be associated with the rest of the idiot fans that just spew BS on here all the time about Roethlisberger.
    Hell, you people wouldn’t hate him at all if he wasn’t the second most successful QB in the league.

13. nflqb says: May 29, 2010 2:39 PM

lol at all the haters and the the media members that had a agenda (you guys on espns the drive) by the time week 4 rolls around this thing will be spun to the point everyone in America will be rooting for big Ben.
    Goodell set this up perfectly for Ben to come out the hero when all said and done since America loves people who repent and try hard lol!
    Key sentence rite here that Goodell and the league will turn this thing 360 degrees by October!
    Ben’s been working hard and cooperating fully with all of our medical experts and with the league program,” Goodell told Tom Curran of Comcast Sports

14. svenhoek says: May 29, 2010 2:51 PM

# ArtModellsPimp says: May 29, 2010 2:29 PM
    @.RebaTe
    Just can’t get past last year’s smackdown, huh?
    Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!
    ——————————————
    There, just like this. This comment right here is why I am proud to be a Steelers fan.
    Thank you flaming retard for making my city and team look even better by talking bad about us. Because you’re too stupid to put together a coherent sentence, most people who read your comment automatically take the position opposite of yours, just so they don’t look that retarded.

15. Tomthebombtracy says: May 29, 2010 3:09 PM

AFC North Standings
    Steelers

16. Tomthebombtracy says: May 29, 2010 3:09 PM

AFC North Super Bowl Standings
    Steelers

17. Tomthebombtracy says: May 29, 2010 3:10 PM

AFC NORTH SUPER BOWL STANDINGS

18. Just JTO says: May 29, 2010 3:18 PM

Art Modell’s Pimp …. I give you credit, you guys did manage ONE beatdown last year after more than a DECADE of maulings and embarrassing annhilations at the hands of the Steelers. Yes, that one loss does stick in the craw a bit. lol.
    Enjoy your Haley’s Comet moment, my friend.

19. trickbunny says: May 29, 2010 3:23 PM

.RebaTe says:
    May 29, 2010 1:54 PM
    # trickbunny says: May 29, 2010 1:38 PM
    [ snip mindless stupidity ]
    Scumbag.
    ————————————————–
    I guess you have a long day of snipping in front of you, considering that about 95% of the comments on this story are pretty similar to mine. :)

20. sonofpoisedon says: May 29, 2010 3:42 PM

All you Big Ben haters need to grow up! He hasn’t been convicted of a thing. I would agree that he is an idiot, but none the less he’s a great QB. In clutch situations he’s second to only Tom Brady. Before you haters start hating, please stat facts before commenting.

21. DB26 says: May 29, 2010 3:46 PM

@ Just JTO
    Not 2, 3 accusations. 1 that was disclosed in the recent one that was quickly hushed, as I am sure that a nominal fee was paid to hush.
    I agree, at this point they are accusations only. BUT, you need to stop, close your eyes, and think about this. Roger Goodell is not going to put this guy through counseling and mental testing because of an accusation. BB has disclosed to RG that he has some sort of a problem on top of the problem of being a drunk and acting like he is 16 at a constant rate.
    OK, you can open your eyes now!

22. connie says: May 29, 2010 4:06 PM

Little boys grow up to be MEN someone has to teach him. He is low life.He will get what he deserves on the field where his money can’t buy him out. Then we will see what GODell does then

23. HamBurghlar says: May 29, 2010 5:31 PM

Antother Ben thread, another +1 from me for the comments to go up and up… Ben’s back and you’re gonna be in trouble!

24. salty says: May 29, 2010 5:57 PM

His return to assaulting chicks? I’m confused about what return they are discussing… his return to taking sacks against the Ravens? his return to being on his A$$ while the browns are taking the squeelers out of playoffs?

25. robert ethen says: May 29, 2010 6:33 PM

Unjolly Roger figured that if Ruthless could go 18 holes with cute and bouncy Natural Gerbils next to him he was no longer a menace to society.

26. Laxer37 says: May 29, 2010 6:35 PM

In a related story, Joe Flacco was raped in his home by his own unibrow.

27. The Real Shuxion says: May 29, 2010 7:25 PM

It will be like that mud bowl they had a few (four maybe?) years ago.

28. Rasta says: May 29, 2010 8:00 PM

Roethlisberger is so contrite now down on his knees begging (or something else) for forgiveness.
    However you can take the trash out of the trailer park but you can’t take the trailer park out of the WHITE TRASH He will go back and do it again.
    And I don’t hate Roethlisberger I hate everyone like him.

29. Deb says: May 29, 2010 8:23 PM

@Slow Joe & DB26 …
    Slow Joe, please don’t assume everyone who posts that Ben is innocent is a blind homer. I wouldn’t post the sun came up without checking for myself. And no matter what these junior-high kids think, football fandom doesn’t trump my rape experience. I wouldn’t post that Ben is innocent if my research hadn’t led me to conclude that to a virtual certainty. Don’t have a crystal ball, but do have a unique mix of skills, experience, contacts, and flexible work hours so I could thoroughly research the allegations–ALL of them, DB26. And since I make my living writing and researching, fact-checking is a natural.
    The evidence isn’t even iffy (one story PFTers think supports the allegations actually does the opposite). Big, entitled, sexist, jerk w/out-of-control ego and perhaps alcohol issues? Yes. That’s why Goodell said he still has work to do, DB26. Dangerous predator? No.

30. RebaT. says: May 29, 2010 8:34 PM

How much did the Rooneys pay him to do this? I love the Steelers but this is just TOO much to stomach.
    Ben get hit in the head a couple times and the doc will bench your sorry existence as a human being.
    Ben is a manipulator and don’t think he’s not doing it now. Get back on the motorcycle with no helmet flying down the turnpike. oops fell again.

31. Dryheave says: May 29, 2010 8:38 PM

The Real Shuxion says:
    May 29, 2010 7:25 PM
    “Just saw that Pittsburgh will host the Winter Classic in 2011. If the Steelers have a home playoff game that field will be F-ed up big time.”
    “It will be like that mud bowl they had a few (four maybe?) years ago.”
    dude, did you even bother to read the subject of this thread?……………what the hell??

32. HandsofSweed says: May 29, 2010 11:35 PM

Salty:
    The Ravens haven’t won a game vs Ben since 2006. The Browns have beaten him once in six seasons. I’m okay with you talking shit. Just be right when you do.

33. BP says: May 29, 2010 11:40 PM

Roger will never be half the man his father was.

34. badthings says: May 30, 2010 12:24 AM

Stand by your man…………………..

35. robert ethen says: May 30, 2010 12:45 AM

Well, Goodell better get on with his business. If genetics have anything to do with it, he’s only got a few more years.

36. ArtModellsPimp says: May 30, 2010 1:07 AM

Hey svenhoek…
    I’m sorry that you are having problems with my comments.
    Next time, I’ll write them in crayon, so you’ll feel more at home.
    Pick a color, loser… :0)

37. rolli1967 says: May 30, 2010 1:38 AM

One can hope that if your a Steeler fan, that Goodel’s confidence in Worthlessburger
    “understanding his responsibilities” is correct. Translation: Worthlessburger had better keep his ass out of trouble, becuase if screws up again Goodel, the Steelers, and their fans will throw him under the bus much worse the next time.
    I still don’t understand at all why a man of his stature, wealth, and fame has to resort to such low-rent/juvenile/idiotic methods to get some “action”. There are millions of women out there who would quite willingly spread em if he would only act just half way like a gentleman and NOT like a drunken juvenile turd. Hey Ben: Try being a gentleman (NOT A DRUNKEN ASS) and if meet a woman that you want to get down with, take her to dinner and a nice hotel room. The bathroom of the bar/club is NOT going cut it!! It’s not rocket science!!

38. RebaT. says: May 30, 2010 1:50 AM

Ben is a classic sociopath. This boy has issues with many, many more to come.
    Roger you are a SUCKER!!!!

39. DanRooney says: May 30, 2010 3:11 AM

Roger is now in panic mode because teams like the Texans, Redskins, and Vikings continue to use steroids and HGH. Hell even Sean Payton is abusing banned substances. Figured he had to bring Ben back before people started complaining about Goodell’s favoritism around the league.

40. drd32 says: May 30, 2010 8:51 AM

I have been a long time steeler fan. I repeat, a fan. What Ben is accused of are serious alligations and no one but him, his accusers, and God know what really happened. You state that Ben is a rapist, not knowing the full truth. Most of you are mentally abusing each other with your harmful words and accusations. What makes you any different than Ben or any other athlete that is accused of emotionally harmful actions. Rape, or anything else along those lines are emotionally destructive to a human being. You people are sitting here abusing each other with your hurtful words over an athlete that plays football. You people don’t give a crap one way or another about the victims. All you care about is YOUR team. I have news for you. It is not YOUR team. You people get all bent out of shape and start slinging hurtful words at one another, over a game. I hear BEN BEN BEN….you know his name well. Do you even know the names of the supposed victims? You people need to stop acting like children and using something detrimental such as rape as a catalyst for your childhood arguments over a player that may or may not be guilty. Sometimes verbal abuse is just as harmful as physical abuse. You are verbally assaulting people over who you root for. I can guarauntee most of you men that are on here spewing, have crossed the line in one way or another with a woman somewhere in your life, and weren’t caught. Rake your own leaves in your own back yard and talk about the women that were supposedly assaulted. Don’t use this as a forum for your arguments over who is a better team or what this person did, or what that person did. This isn’t about that. This is about two or three people’s lives being altered, not about who beat who in a fricken GAME!!! Grow up!!!!

41. Holeinone09 says: May 30, 2010 10:06 AM

You have the same Ben haters here posting the same hate, on every thread that has Ben’s name associated with it. It’s not even worth rehashing how I feel about this matter anymore, since nothing that anyone says here about what Ben did or didn’t do and what evidence there really was matters one damn bit.
    But this does: 10/17/10. Ben’s likely return date, and the asskicking he will give the Browns that day. And all the posting by the haters who really won’t deal with the evidence or really even care about how this changed several people’s lives will have been for nothing. A complete waste of their time hating. LMAO.
    GO STEELERS!! 10/17/10.

42. Deb says: May 30, 2010 3:00 PM

@drd32 …
    Excellent comments, but I disagree that only God and the two people involved know whether a rape occurred. That’s true in cases where there’s no corresponding evidence. But evidence was available in both the Georgia and Nevada cases. The Georgia criminal accusation was thoroughly investigated and all pertinent case files, including results of the medical exam, have been released to the public. I downloaded the Nevada civil complaint–a 34-page detailed account of the accuser’s story–as soon as it was filed, and have continued to review subsequent filings as they’ve been released.
    Football is insignificant compared to the sexual abuse of women. Through this process I’ve been disappointed to learn that Roethlisberger is an immature, irresponsible, egomaniacal, sexist, jackass. But how he behaves off the field is none of my business. And frankly, I don’t care if he has sex in nightclub bathrooms with willing groupies. Women have been humiliating themselves for the pleasure of men–especially celebrities–since time began. But I’m a rape survivor and won’t tolerate a sex abuser.
    That’s why I thoroughly researched every speck of material in this case. And I had the professional background, knowledge, and resources to do it well. He’s not guilty of sexual assault. And the so-called “men” on this site who keep saying he is are just making a joke of rape for their own amusement. As you said, people seriously need to grow up.

43. drd32 says: May 30, 2010 6:43 PM

Deb…first of all….excellent investigating. My primary jab was at the ignorant people on here that are doing nothing but bantering back and forth over who’s football team will win or lose over this and not about the victims. The testosterone is oozing through the blog. As I mentioned, I am a LONG time Steeler fan, and have waited for a Bradshawish quarterback to come along for a LONG time!!! I am a female, and yes, in my opinion, based on what i have reviewed, i won’t go as far as saying he raped anyone, but when you have a body guard standing near the entrance and refuse to let anyone back to the bathroom while he is in there, something illegal was definately going on. I am sad to say, apology or no apology, will not be able to root for the Steelers as long as he is under center. I believe in giving second chances but he is past that now with a 3rd complaint being hushed up. i was sickened to see Nike jump back on Tiger Woods bandwagon and sickened to see all of the applause and support that was given to an immoral man that ruined a lot of people’s lives because of his infidelities. I truly believe, for the dignity of the steelers organization and the city of Pittsburgh and their fans, Ben should be let go. Unfortunately, one of these BEN haters, will love him to death if he ended up under center for their team. It would be amazing to see how easily these “FANS” would jump on board and root for him if he was say playing for the Browns. I had a runningback for the Cleveland Browns, a well known running back, that i will not name, because i never pressed charges against him, that grabbed my breast at a night club. If i was a money grubbing….i could have very easily went to Modell and said cut me a check, this was the running back for their future at the time. These women, to my knowledge, have not tried to extort money and from what i have seen and heard, a quarterback i was rooting for, is an idiot. I am sickened by sports in general these days. These guys, that are bashing ANY sports figure, are most likely treating their wives and girlfriends like crap when THEIR…lol…team loses. I’m sure some of them have gotten physical with their significant others after a loss. Their abuse won’t be advertised, and i can guarantee they won’t be roaring in here about it. I can only imagine what will happen to Holleins girlfriend/wife, if Ben doesn’t play well on 10/17/10. Sadly, as i said, the recipients of these brutalites will never be known. And the one’s out there, that are abusive, and you know who you are, need to get a grip, and get a life!!! YOU are not the quarterback, stop living vicariously through an athlete, get your own life! All of the time and energy and money you spend to pay these athletes salaries….are they going to cover your hospital bills when you are dying of lung cancer from all the cigarettes you smoke during the game, or give you their liver after yours rots out from all the alcohol you drink, no they are not. They aren’t even going to visit you in the hospital, but i bet your girlfriend/wife will!

44. TryTheVeal says: May 30, 2010 8:19 PM

Football fandom doesn’t trump my rape experience…………That my friends, is it…….I seriously cannot believe i just read that…..If it means THAT much to compare…I’m gonna go to a baseball blog and bitch about balls and strikes…..Truly sad

45. Deb says: May 30, 2010 9:35 PM

@drd32 ….
    NO no no. Based on the medical examination of the Georgia woman and the information from all the witnesses, the Georgia police and district attorney do not believe Ben raped her. The story about his security guard keeping her friends out of the bathroom was not true. It didn’t even match her story. Other witnesses told a different story than her friends. The woman was only out of sight for 10 minutes and the medical exam showed she did not have intercourse. The Georgia DA made it clear he does not think Ben is a rapist.
    There is a lot of evidence in the Nevada lawsuit that shows the woman is lying. There has not been a third rape accusation that was hushed up.
    I was a rape victim so this is serious to me. I would not post that Ben is innocent, unless I was sure. I had concerns for a while. But after getting all the information I possibly could, I will be able to cheer for him when he returns. He is a jerk. But he is not a rapist.

46. rolli1967 says: May 31, 2010 5:05 AM

Holeinone09 says:
    May 30, 2010 10:06 AM
    GO STEELERS!! 10/17/10.
    ————————————————–
    Hey HoleinOne-
    Last time Worthlessburger faced the Browns, it was last year’s SORRY version of the Browns, who really had nothing to play for, who kicked his ass 13-6 and knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs. The Brownies are much improved this year and it would not surprise me one bit if the Browns kicked his ass again.
    One bit of advice: you want to keep your ignorant trap shut about “asskickings” until AFTER 10/17/10. If the Browns turn the tables on your prediction and kick Worthlessburger’s ass into next week then you will seem quite the fool and I will LFMAO!!!!

47. Holeinone09 says: May 31, 2010 10:20 AM

Hey rolli1967, we will see. But I am glad you are still celebrating your super bowl win last year when the Browns beat the Steelers for once in a blue moon. Congrats. Now change the panties you apparently pissed.
    10/17/10. Get ready for an asskicking and some black and gold payback.
    GO STEELERS!!

48. lin1945 says: May 31, 2010 10:19 PM

The Commissioner is not doing his job . . . well. He is enabling Ben to resume to his normal life. Do you think the victim that said “NO” can readily return to her former life. Not now and likely not ever. Shame on Goodell. He is falling in with the Rooney family protecting Ben. The fans may just show the Commissioner and Rooney family they do not support a player that has such disrespect for women. It is a sad day for NFL football.

49. rolli1967 says: Jun 1, 2010 12:25 AM

Holeinone09 says:
    May 31, 2010 10:20 AM
    10/17/10. Get ready for an asskicking and some black and gold payback.
    GO STEELERS!!
    ————————————————-
    Hey HoleinOne,
    Speaking of soiled panties, the only one’s that are going to be soiled are the pink one’s that Worthlessburger will soil when the rejuvented Browns kick his ass into next week!!!!
    Go Browns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!