UFL targets Ahman Green

With a former NFL star quarterback reportedly planning to play for the coach who helped him become a star in Minnesota, a former NFL star running back could be heading back to the state where his college career flourished.

The Omaha World-Herald recently reported that the UFL is targeting running back Ahman Green.

Green, who would join the Omaha Nighthawks, played at the University of Nebraska before joining the Seahawks and thereafter becoming one of the best running backs in the league at Green Bay.

It looks promising, but I’m just waiting still, keeping my options
open,” Green said.  “For me, it’s not a fallback plan at all.  I want to play football.  The
Omaha team would be a great fit.”

It’s part of an effort by UFL personnel exec Rick Mueller to target players with local ties to the Nighthawks, who are becoming the fifth wheel on the four-team league that debuted in 2009.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “UFL targets Ahman Green”
  1. chemicalxv says: May 31, 2010 11:02 PM

Hard to believe that at one point this guy rushed for almost 1900 yards and 15 TDs…and had another 400-ish receiving with 5 more TDs

2. jimmySee says: May 31, 2010 11:06 PM

He’s a good guy — hope this works out for Ahman.

3. Chad Pennington's Noodle Arm says: May 31, 2010 11:10 PM

These guys might as well retire. They are done in the NFL but are too stubborn to figure that.

4. robert ethen says: May 31, 2010 11:11 PM

Green just has to find a job during the week so he can play for the UFL.

5. MrHumble says: May 31, 2010 11:11 PM

I’m surprised the Packers didn’t resign him, lol

6. FinFan says: May 31, 2010 11:15 PM

local ties to the nighthawks? huh?

7. MrNatural says: May 31, 2010 11:25 PM

Next Story….

8. HC says: May 31, 2010 11:30 PM

If you are a 33 year old running back attempting a multi-year comeback that has been tackled more than 2400 times as a pro and has only been able to stay on the field for more than eight games just once in the last five years, you’re overdue for a reality check. You’ve had a great career Ahman, but it’s time to retire.

9. jbb says: May 31, 2010 11:46 PM

heard a rumor that ahman green was going to try playing sevens rugby this summer with New York Athletic Club Rugby. That’s the olympic rugby in 2016

10. nrsv says: Jun 1, 2010 12:02 AM

I thought this site was for professional football new!

11. Monarch says: Jun 1, 2010 12:06 AM

As long as he’s not wearing a Texans jersey I don’t care

12. bigsheev says: Jun 1, 2010 12:35 AM

@Chad Pennington’s Noodle Arm. yes they are done with the NFL, that’s why they’re going to the UFL. Here’s your sign

13. robert ethen says: Jun 1, 2010 1:51 AM

Ah man………………. not the UFL!

14. nerd says: Jun 1, 2010 2:51 AM

I’d tune in just to see Green.
    Stay in shape, Ahman. Just in case!

15. radioboy20010 says: Jun 1, 2010 8:47 AM

A. Green has a few yards left in him. He spelled Ryan Grant last season quite effectively. He isn’t going to be the main ball carrier anymore, but can really grind out the yards when you need them.
    Good to see the UFL staying around. I still think they would do better as a springtime league, but if they can put a viable product on the field, all the better. The NFL acts like they own the universe. The U.S. was built on competition, and I hope they can provide the NFL with some.

16. crazyguy says: Jun 1, 2010 9:29 AM

#30 running at you hard. Watch out UFL! One of the best running backs in Husker history.

17. RC IV says: Jun 1, 2010 9:58 AM

I thought Green played for a UFL team last year…..

18. Rocksteady says: Jun 1, 2010 11:10 AM

Can’t fault a guy for wanting to do what he was born to do. I can’t imagine doing something I love for my entire life and then waking up to the realization that I am not allowed to do it anymore.
    Westbrook, Green, LT, I say more power to ya.

19. footballgeek11 says: Jun 1, 2010 11:11 AM

I understand the UFL has outstanding bills and the bills keep piling up. In my mind the questions is not if Green plays, but rather does the UFL play?
    Insiders have said absent of another large invester, they will not kick off in 2010! And all 2,000 people who attend games in each of their markets will care.

20. Dave says: Jun 1, 2010 12:02 PM

@footballgeek11 – 1. Mark Cuban has already become the other “large investor”. #2, check you figures. While they certainly weren’t putting 65,000 butts in the seats, the Las Vegas Locos averaged around 10,000 per game. The UFL is not ever going to compete with the NFL, but it really is pretty good football.

21. packers4life says: Jun 1, 2010 2:24 PM

“I thought Green played for a UFL team last year…..”
    He never played for the Vikings

22. RC IV says: Jun 1, 2010 3:07 PM

packers4life says:
    June 1, 2010 2:24 PM
    “I thought Green played for a UFL team last year…..”
    He never played for the Vikings
    =========================
    Damn right, they wouldn’t have him. They only take former Packers that can still perform at or near a Pro Bowl level. Because the dumb asses that run the Packers are to cheap to pay them.

23. Beer Cheese Soup says: Jun 1, 2010 5:07 PM

RC IV says:
    ____________________________________
    I really wish I could argue with you on this. Sadly, the history speaks for itself, and we have five years of it showing that you’re absolutely right.