Tom Coughlin concedes the NFL has become a year-to-year proposition

nfl_coughlin_250.jpgDuring a spot last week on NFL Network, former Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce said that coach Tom Coughlin has landed back on the hot seat, three years after winning a Super Bowl.  While Coughlin didn’t specifically admit that the flames are fanning his fanny, he generally observed that every NFL coach now operates on a year-to-year basis.

“I don’t know what he said or why he said it or what his intent was by
any means,” Coughlin said regarding Pierce’s remarks, according to Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger.  “But it’s a one-year circumstance for everybody.  I don’t care
if you just won the Super Bowl.  You’re expected to come right back and
perform at the highest level.  And of course, in this market, you’re
always going to be subject to that kind of scrutiny.  My goals, my
expectations, what I demand of myself, what I demand of our team, really
is internally driven and has nothing to do with outside.”

When I interviewed Browns coach Eric Mangini last week for our season preview magazine (have I mentioned that we’re doing a season preview magazine?), he offered a similar observation regarding the question of whether new team president Mike Holmgren views Mangini’s second year on the job as a one-year proposition.  “Mike has never given me the sense that it’s a one-year situation, but I think what I’m learning more and more is each year’s a one-year situation, regardless of the contract,” Mangini said.  “You’ve got to continually make strides.”

For Coughlin, it’s more than the usual “Not For Long” formula.  He has two years remaining on his contract, he’ll be 64 when the season begins, the Giants will christen a new stadium this year, and the team with which they share it has surpassed the Giants in both on-field success and off-field hype.  After the 2009 season ends with the Giants not in the playoffs, co-owner John Mara declared that the “status quo . . . is not acceptable.”  When the 2010 ends, the Giants will have to decide what to do about Coughlin, who’ll be entering his lame-duck season.

With Bill Cowher still available and Jerome Bettis convinced Cowher wants the Giants job, we think that anything short of a playoff appearance, and maybe a win or two, will result in the Giants reclaiming the hype by snagging the guy who snubbed the Jets in early 2009.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, New York Giants, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Tom Coughlin concedes the NFL has become a year-to-year proposition”
  1. 8ball says: Jun 1, 2010 8:15 PM

How could anyone named “Man-genius” be year to year ?

2. Bill In DC says: Jun 1, 2010 8:18 PM

Well, I think it is for Coughlin, anyways. Another 8-8 season and the Giants will have a new coach in 2011

3. lboogie25 says: Jun 1, 2010 8:22 PM

Surpassed because of 1 playoff run? Seriously?
    Florio’s a tool… Florio’s a tool.. Hi-ho, the derry-o, Florio is a tool!

4. ampats says: Jun 1, 2010 8:23 PM

As a Pats fan who respects what Coughlin accomplished against all obstacles tell me who should replace him?
    Bill Cowher? How many AFC Championship games did he lose at home and “favored” ????
    And he is great and should be back on a NFL sideline, Cleveland Browns??
    I don’t think I would want Coughlin but give the man respect for what he accomplished.
    In BB we trust !

5. CT.GIANTMAN says: Jun 1, 2010 8:24 PM

AS A LONG-TIME GIANT FAN, PLAYING IN
    THE LARGEST MEDIA MARKET NOT ONLY IN THE NFL, BUT ALL THE WORLD, BILL PARCELLS WHO WON TWO SUPER BOWLS IN NY., SAID “YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD
    IS”. AS MUCH AS I DISAGREE WITH TC, HIS
    ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE WHAT HE IS, BOTH ON & OFF THE FIELD. I SUSPECT HE KNOWS BETTER THEN ANYONE WHEN HIS TIME HAS COME. 2010 MAY BE HIS BIGGEST
    CHALLENGE, BUT HE KNOWS HE’S GOT THE
    BEST JOB IN THE NFL!

6. Roynp3 says: Jun 1, 2010 8:28 PM

“and the team with which they share it has surpassed the Giants in both on-field success and off-field hype.”
    Call me when the Jets win a Super Bowl. These big-talking clowns will trip over their own dicks by week 8.

7. bhill41083 says: Jun 1, 2010 8:43 PM

When reading this articles it makes me think the national media truly fails to grasp just how big of a disparity there is between the amount of giant fans and the amount of jet fans. This is not at all meant to disparage the jets as they are a newer teams whose fan base is regulated mainly to long island, but the actual interest between the two teams is not something that has never been up for grabs (nor should it really matter). The giants conduct themselves in a fashion that is not necessarily as media friendly – but that should not be construed as the city of new york switching allegiance.

8. jaywmitchell says: Jun 1, 2010 8:47 PM

“and the team with which they share it has surpassed the Giants in both on-field success and off-field hype”
    Really? Really?
    When the Jets get in the playoffs without two different teams rolling over and playing dead then win a superbowl in the color TV era then let me know until then they will always be the red headed step child of NY.

9. jaxdolfan says: Jun 1, 2010 10:41 PM

If you are an owner and you are ready to fire your coach every year, you are an imbecile.
    1. The coach is only as good as his players.
    2. It takes time to play well in a system.
    3. Records are made in part by easy schedules and a call here and there from the officials.
    4. It is not like there are tons of great coaches out there ready to take over.
    It is like thinking about cutting your QB every season.

10. wxwax says: Jun 1, 2010 11:42 PM

“The future is now.”
    G. Allen

11. BP says: Jun 2, 2010 12:33 AM

They should replace Coughlin with David Tyree.
    He did far more than Coughlin ever did; with his fluke catch. Maybe his luck could rub off on the Giant’s players.

12. east96street. says: Jun 2, 2010 1:49 AM

40 years without even a Super Bowl appearance, let alone a win, and you’re under the impression that any one besides a slapdick WV lawyer and the Tri-State trailer trash cares about the Jets? Those morons have been saying for forty years “This is OUR year”. Haven’t been right yet. You’re just embarrassing yourself, Florio.

13. cantgetenough says: Jun 2, 2010 2:46 PM

LOL. That is all.

14. David56 says: Jun 2, 2010 2:48 PM

Tom Coughlin is the best head coach the G-Men have had since Tuna’s days at the helm.
    Is there a profession more ingrained with the “What-have-you-done-for-me-lately?” than that of a head coach or manager of any pro-sport especially that involves a team? Coughlin has done a great overall job in the media center of the world. He and the G-Men gave us Giants fans a Super Bowl win for the ages. Even looking at old tapes on YouTube I still get a chill up my spine watching the highlights of that game.
    All I would ask Antonio Pierce, whom I liked very much when he was a Giant, is how many Super Bowl rings would he have now if he’d stayed with the Redskins? Even the thrill of having that ticker-tape parade in New York City after the win? Perhaps he only meant it in the sense that all coaches are on a hot seat to one degree or another from year-to-year. That’s hardly news.
    I’ll back TC as long as he is head coach.