Braylon says he's not thinking about his contract

Jets receiver Braylon Edwards, who signed his one-year restricted free agent tender in March, will be an unrestricted free agent in 2011. That means a good 2010 season would pay off handsomely for him, but Edwards says that’s not what he’s thinking about.

I don’t care about a contract,” Edwards told the New York Daily News. “I just want to win a championship. That’s all I care about. . . . I just want to win a Super Bowl.”

Those comments continue an offseason in which Edwards is saying all the right things about not caring about his own stats, not caring about his contract, and not caring about anything except whether the Jets win. And Edwards says he’s having more fun in New York than he did in Cleveland.

“I’m having fun and I’m learning,” Edwards said. “It’s more fun when you really understand what it’s all about — and what this really is — which is a team game. Everybody has a role. Everybody has a part. Everybody contributes to a greater cause. Now, I’m 27. I’m more versed in football than when I was 22 as a rookie. I have a better appreciation now.”

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Braylon says he's not thinking about his contract”
  1. Marino13 says: Jun 3, 2010 9:27 AM

good luck….you have zero shot winning a championship with the overated jets and they will finish maybe 7-9……

2. pwndabear says: Jun 3, 2010 9:30 AM

too bad he still has frying pans for hands and will never go anywhere in this league with the re-re attitude that he has.

3. JetChris says: Jun 3, 2010 9:33 AM

Continues to say the right things. He really has grown as a person and NFL player. He def. matured at the NFL level thus far. Last season he was very good for the Jets and with them, he worked his butt off every game. Now if he can work on the drop passes, he will truly be a #1 WR for the Jets and Sanchez. Keep getting that work in with Sanchez and it will work wonders for them both.

4. Diesteelersdie says: Jun 3, 2010 9:34 AM

He’s actually more concerned about what style his haircut is, what his next suit will be, going shoe shopping, well you get the point

5. joey-pickles says: Jun 3, 2010 9:35 AM

This will be Tennanbalm’s genious or jackass season…

6. ArtModellsPimp says: Jun 3, 2010 9:35 AM

“Now, I’m 27. I’m more versed in football than when I was 22 as a rookie. I have a better appreciation now.”
    ———————-
    That’s nice, Braylon. Too damned bad you’re stuck with the same hands. Not to mention, the same mouth and the same lip-service.
    This jerk will NEVER live up to his own hype.

7. overkil2 says: Jun 3, 2010 9:36 AM

Let’s see if you can hold on to the ball when it matters.

8. highjak78 says: Jun 3, 2010 9:38 AM

Thanks for figuring things out AFTER you left, d-bag. Too bad you haven’t figured out how to catch a football yet. If the Jets do win a title it will be in spite of you, not because of you. Hell, if you were any good in the first place they wouldn’t have traded for Santonio….
    signed,
    Browns fans

9. JetFan in Miami says: Jun 3, 2010 9:40 AM

Funny reading all these dropped ball comments…he only dropped 4 balls all of last year (less than Santonio).

10. JetChris says: Jun 3, 2010 9:44 AM

@ Marino13 – The Jets are much closer to a SB than Miami is….

11. Jon says: Jun 3, 2010 9:45 AM

He needs to be concerned with how many balls he lets hit the turf.

12. Bleeding Green says: Jun 3, 2010 9:45 AM

Marino13 says:
    June 3, 2010 9:27 AM
    The Jets have a MUCH better chance at a championship than your lousy Dolphins do. You’re an idiot.

13. js136202 says: Jun 3, 2010 9:50 AM

I’ve met Braylon, I’ve seen him up close, I watched him after Browns games in the locker room. Jets fans, I can say this with complete confidence, the guy will blow up in your face. Braylon was exactly the same if they won by 40 or lost by 40. He’s all about his image, his clothes, his contract, his endorsements. Sure, you could say the same about most WR’s, but the man’s got no heart.
    When a guy like Braylon says “I’m not worrying about my contract,” he’s really saying “I’m going to give you one amazing year bc I want my money!!!”

14. roland2305 says: Jun 3, 2010 9:56 AM

He really has grown as a person and NFL player.
    ————————————————
    I guess if you consider punching midgets in bar parking lots & letting 80 yard touchdown catches bounce off your facemask growing as both a person and player, then, yeah, he’s grown a lot.

15. 90ragtop says: Jun 3, 2010 9:58 AM

Braylon Edwards is ” all hat and no cattle.”

16. GRpatriot says: Jun 3, 2010 10:10 AM

Braylon, concentrate on actually catching the ball!
    That would be the way to a new contract!

17. edgy1957 says: Jun 3, 2010 10:21 AM

Stats by QB:

| QB Name                Att Comp   PCT Yards  TD Int Rating |
    | Kellen Clemens           5    3  60.0    37   0   0   82.9 |
    | Mark Sanchez            67   32  47.8   504   4   7   53.5 |
    | Brady Quinn             14    8  57.1   110   0   2   42.9 |
    | Derek Anderson           8    2  25.0    29   0   0   42.2 |
    | Total                   94   45  47.9   680   4   9   46.7 |

18. Dixon29 says: Jun 3, 2010 10:33 AM

roland2305 says:
    Hilarious. Pure gold!
    He doesn’t care about his next NFL contract, he cares about his next modeling/acting contract, buying 50 bottles of tequila with Donte Stallworth, and trying to send champagne to Rhianna, only to have it sent back because she didn’t know who he was!

19. DoughBoyRAC says: Jun 3, 2010 10:41 AM

@ JetChris:
    The only reason the Jets are closer to a Super Bowl is because it will be played in their stadium in 2014!

20. mrzazz41387 says: Jun 3, 2010 10:53 AM

Since when is 4 drops a bad year.You guys need some up to date material

21. JetChris says: Jun 3, 2010 11:03 AM

@ DoughBoyRAC – you are an idiot….Jets had the better record and made it to the AFC Championship….to me that seems much closer than missing the playoffs which the Fins did last season

22. JetChris says: Jun 3, 2010 11:05 AM

JetFan in Miami says:
    June 3, 2010 9:40 AM
    That is what happens when “fans” watch ESPN all day and think they know everything instead of looking stats up. Edwards had a very productive year in NY for a guy who came in late and was working with a rookie QB on a run first team

23. DoughBoyRAC says: Jun 3, 2010 11:25 AM

@JetChris:
    Nice response. You left out the “I know you are, but what am I” part though!
    Typical Jets fan! Shouldn’t you be out groping hot women in the nosebleed section, or did they reserve a special section for that in your new stadium closer to the field?

24. SamHam says: Jun 3, 2010 11:26 AM

The Venus de Milo has better hands…

25. sguy2130 says: Jun 3, 2010 11:46 AM

No he’s thinking about different ways to drop a pass and hurt his team the most.

26. Marino13 says: Jun 3, 2010 12:11 PM

“JetChris” – I didnt know you were personal friends with Edwards that you can see how he matured and has grown into a person – thanks for the update, jackass.
    “Bleeding Green” – thanks for the udate I appreciate it, another jackass fan – when are they greceiving the “Paper Trophy” – about the only thing they will win you delusional jet fans”

27. sguy2130 says: Jun 3, 2010 12:21 PM

JetChris says:
    June 3, 2010 11:05 AM
    JetFan in Miami says:
    June 3, 2010 9:40 AM
    ——————————————–
    And yet you wonder why he has less drops on a run first team…lmao.

28. Zinn says: Jun 3, 2010 2:30 PM

The thing most people miss about Edwards is his blocking. The man is a beast as a blocker. He was a big reason the Jets had the #1 running game last year. The Jets running game took off once Edwards arrived.
    The drop thing is overrated. Like the article said his drop % was lower than Andre Johnson’s. But its something to watch. If things go bad for him expect the drops to get a lot worse.
    A bigger issue is Edward’s attitude and work ethic. Supposedly both were great last year until h popped off after he AFC championship game. I forget what eh said but I do recall ti was selfish, was raking shots at teammates and it ticked off a lot of Jet players. But then again it was said in the heat of the moment after an emotional loss of a game they could have won. But he continues to say the right thing and act like a team player.
    The organization has backed him and has applauded Edwards behavior and team 1st attitude. Rex Ryan singled him out as one of the two hardest working players on the team over the offseason.
    The question is can the Jets keep Edwards next year if he has a good year? With Dbrick, Harris, Mangold, Holmes and Revis needing new contracts money will be tight to resign Edwards.
    One thing to note is Cotchery was hurt a lot last year leaving Edwards as the Jets sole receiving threat. When Cotchery came back it helped Edwards production quite a bit. Adding Holmes should help both Cotchery and Edwards. But the real question will Sanchez progress. He was awful last year. Arguably the worst starting QB in the league not named Russell. He needs to improve. When defenses stack 8-9 men in a box every play daring your QB to throw and he can still can’t beat them something is seriously wrong.

29. JetChris says: Jun 3, 2010 2:40 PM

@ Marino13 – if I remember correctly while in Cleveland, Braylon was always crying and “hitting” people at clubs….but as soon as he came to NY you heard nothing negative about him….To me, that seems like he has matured on and off the field…..so thank you for the update
    @ DoughBoyRAC – still upset that you swept the Jets and still had to watch them play for the AFC Championship?

30. DoughBoyRAC says: Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

@JetChris:
    You mistake me for a Dolphins fan.
    As the name implies, I am still whining over the disaster left in Cleveland by Romeo Crennel, and the country club he ran.
    I don’t believe Edwards has the integrity or the work ethic to see the Jets through when they need him most. I might be wrong, but his track record speaks for itself. Good luck with that!
    I just hope you guys don’t have a big game scheduled the day after Michigan-Ohio State. He’ll be hungover and exhausted…damn the team!

31. highjak78 says: Jun 3, 2010 4:58 PM

You Jets fans are truly clueless as to how much of a puss Braylon is. We call him “Gaylon” or “Edwards Scissorhands” here in Cleveland. I’m sure he shut up when he got to NY because he’s trying to blame Clevelands’ issues for HIS problems (being a coward, not catching the ball, trying to talk to opposing teams’ corners about modeling, crying about the QB, etc.). Notice how when he got there, he kept taking stabs at Cleveland, instead of focusing on his JOB. He’s a loser, and as I said before, if the Jets win ANYTHING it won’t be because of ANYTHING this guy did.