Rey Maualuga has surgery, expects to be ready for training camp

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga, who suffered a broken ankle that landed him on injured reserve in December, revealed on Twitter today that he recently had surgery to repair a problem stemming from that injury.

“Stuck on couch elevating my foot. Having surgery sucks,” Maualuga tweeted, adding that he had the surgery to take out a calcification that was building up around his fibula.

Maualuga later told Bengals.com that he expects to be ready to go in two to four weeks.

“I was having some pain on the field and then it got the point where it was giving me trouble when I was walking,” Maualuga said. “I figured why wait. Do it now. I don’t think there are going to be any problems getting ready for camp.”

Maualuga started 15 games as a rookie in 2009 before suffering the broken ankle. Early this offseason he was arrested for DUI, and he said 100 days later that he hadn’t had a drink since.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Rey Maualuga has surgery, expects to be ready for training camp”
  1. goetta-head says: Jun 3, 2010 9:26 PM

I dont know bout yalls but I expect Rey to make the leap this year. He has really started to focus on his career after a somewhat bumpy start- at least by Bengal standards. Good to hear he is getting the injury taken care of now, and I hope he can make it 100% for full competition in Georgetown.
    KY

2. Cincinnasty says: Jun 3, 2010 9:56 PM

Breakout Season…

3. RossyRoss says: Jun 3, 2010 10:14 PM

This guys a drunk! Will see??

4. BLeedGreeN4Life says: Jun 3, 2010 10:16 PM

enough with twitter already..

5. 7370355q says: Jun 3, 2010 10:17 PM

did anybody ever see the video of him on the sidelines with erin andrews when he was still at usc. it was very funny but also kind of disturbing.

6. BenInAZ says: Jun 3, 2010 10:29 PM

A healthy, focused Rey this year equals a top 5 defense!
    WHO DEY!!!

7. Burritto says: Jun 3, 2010 11:08 PM

I wonder if Bengals fans are starting to see the ghost of Odell Thurman yet…

8. Crusty says: Jun 3, 2010 11:17 PM

Rey Rey is gonna bring the hammer down on the AFCN!

9. brownsfn says: Jun 3, 2010 11:51 PM

Damn I wanted the Browns to draft this guy…he’s gonna be a BEAST…

10. Farves sweet Hair says: Jun 3, 2010 11:58 PM

Break out season? This guys a drunk. will see with how he puts down the drink

11. Laxer37 says: Jun 4, 2010 12:10 AM

Injuries have a tendency to get worse when you hit two parked cars and a couple parking meters while driving home wasted with two drunk high school girls in your car.
    This must be the new found career focus that Goetta-head is referring to.

12. BenInAZ says: Jun 4, 2010 1:37 AM

Laxer37 says:
    June 4, 2010 12:10 AM
    ——————————————-
    Somebody has to save those high school girls from Ben “pants on the ground” Roethlisberger….

13. Chris says: Jun 4, 2010 2:28 AM

I like this guy, get better soon, hes 1 of the few young guys who does it right on and off the field

14. BengalsDouche2 says: Jun 4, 2010 6:41 AM

I love the Rey Maualuga bashing. Seriously the guy hasn’t done any worse than most football players. He’s not out raping chicks or killing people. He had some drinks and drove like a dummy. How many people have done that in life and are still considered extremely successful people? Oh and if I recall the news story correctly, the girls he was with were 18 and 19. Yes underage to be drinking but not underage for him to be hanging out with legally. The kid is only 21 or 22. So I’m not surprised that he’s hanging out with girls that age. I know I was when I was 21 and 22. Get off the guys back for real. He’ll prove to everyone that the incident he had woke him up . Bengals D will be back toward the top this year and he will be one of the reasons

15. silverback says: Jun 4, 2010 7:42 AM

Oh, poor BengalsDouche2. People are saying bad things about Maualuga because he was CHARGED AND CONVICTED of DUI, is an admitted alcoholic, and spent the offseason in rehab?
    Wow, imagine if people were bashing him for something he was never charged or convicted of.
    This kid had serious character concerns coming out of college. It was well known he was a raging alcoholic, only the Bengals were dirty enough to spend a high draft pick on him.

16. Maddog says: Jun 4, 2010 8:09 AM

and on top of everything the guy is simply not that good. Dan Marino could juke him in the open field.

17. Verbal Kint says: Jun 4, 2010 8:31 AM

Better to spend an entire offseason committed to alcohol rehab than spending 2 weeks in counseling as lip service to the commissioner after multiple offenses of gross sexual imposition.