Greg Paulus gets another shot with the Saints

Former Duke basketball player and one-year Syracuse football player Greg Paulus wasn’t drafted, and he’s yet to be signed as a free agent.

But he’s still got a chance to stick.

The Saints brought him to a rookie minicamp last month on a tryout (tree-out) basis.  And he’s back again for a full-squad minicamp.  But he’s not yet under contract.

We wanted to look at him,” Payton said Saturday, per the Associated Press.  “He was here for the rookie camp
and did a good job. He’s a pretty good decision maker.”

The Saints currently have Chase Daniel and rookie seventh-rounder Sean Canfield backing up Super Bowl XLIV MVP Drew Brees.

It’s more likely that the Saints would sign a veteran backup instead of Paulus, especially with Canfield on the roster.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
7 Responses to “Greg Paulus gets another shot with the Saints”
  1. lskynard87 says: Jun 5, 2010 11:52 PM

Chase Daniel and Drew Brees are of the same mold. Nice group there.

2. The Devil says: Jun 6, 2010 12:00 AM

at this point, Greg Paulus has had more shots than Barry Bonds (allegedly)

3. Larry David says: Jun 6, 2010 1:56 AM

What’s this tree-out thing you keep writing? Is it some sort of inside joke or something?

4. JJCheesehead says: Jun 6, 2010 8:18 AM

ever seen the movie “the longest yard?” the remake, not the original one. this would explain the ‘tree-out’ thing.

5. Jeff says: Jun 6, 2010 11:36 AM

Jeff Duncan from the Times-Picayune tweeted yesterday that all of the backup QBs looked awful and it’s just a matter of time that a veteran is signed.

6. John Harbaugh's Dad says: Jun 6, 2010 12:14 PM

Why won’t this guy just fade into obscurity like every other former Duke basketball player?
    In my personal quest to destroy everything related to Duke basketball, I will keep posting this video for as long as Paulus hangs around:

7. Troy says: Jun 6, 2010 1:27 PM

I really enjoy watching the Saints play football and I hope they are capable of making it back to the superbowl. I was always told that if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. I am saying this about the story I just read. I can make good decisions too but that is no reason for me to qualify as a backup for Drew Brees.