Colts' Saturday believes new CBA reachable

Center Jeff Saturday, the Colts’ longtime player representative, expressed confidence to the Associated Press Sunday that the NFLPA and owners still can work out a deal.

“My hope is that everybody puts their egos down to the side and we get it dialed in,” said Saturday.  “I’m hoping there’s pressure as fans and as people begin to say, ‘Let’s move this thing forward; we’re tired of hearing about it,’ that it brings more people to the table ready to get it done.
“I think all the guys on the executive committee and involved in the NFLPA have a good attitude about it.  Guys want to get it done.  We’ve just got to get it done.  I feel like everybody’s just like, ‘Why are we negotiating now?  What’s the hurry?  We have until next March.  Let’s just go play this season and see who balks first, who gets scared first.’  I think all of us are going to wait until the end. … I think the best work gets done then.”
Meanwhile, the effects of having no labor agreement are hitting home for Saturday.  Colts president Bill Polian has blamed the situation for Indianapolis’ inability to satisfy Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne, and Antoine Bethea’s contract demands.  All three players are skipping this weekend’s mandatory minicamp.
Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
7 Responses to “Colts' Saturday believes new CBA reachable”
  1. brownsfn says: Jun 6, 2010 3:29 PM

Well I’m glad somebody thinks so…

2. robert ethen says: Jun 6, 2010 3:46 PM

Might be reachable by Saturday, but most feel differently.

3. Spiny Norman says: Jun 6, 2010 4:53 PM

What a strange statement!
    [i]“I’m hoping there’s pressure as fans and as people begin to say, ‘Let’s move this thing forward; we’re tired of hearing about it,’ that it brings more people to the table ready to get it done. …Guys want to get it done. We’ve just got to get it done.”[/i]
    [i]“I feel like everybody’s just like, ‘Why are we negotiating now? What’s the hurry? We have until next March. Let’s just go play this season and see who balks first, who gets scared first.’ I think all of us are going to wait until the end. … I think the best work gets done then.”[/i]
    Sounds like the guy has no idea what is happening, or when, or even if!

4. Bob Nelson says: Jun 6, 2010 5:28 PM

Saturday’s problem is intelligence and common sense.
    Negotiators get shrill and indignant. There is no mole hill so small that cannot be turned into a mountain.
    Neither side can compromise if they aren’t talking.

5. Spiny Norman says: Jun 6, 2010 5:38 PM

Oops. I guess I don’t know what “You may use HTML tags for style” means. :0

6. edgy1957 says: Jun 6, 2010 10:13 PM

# Spiny Norman says: June 6, 2010 5:38 PM
    Oops. I guess I don’t know what “You may use HTML tags for style” means. :0
    ************************
    Use the greater than and less than symbols instead of [ and ] and you’ll be fine. :)

7. rnls105 says: Jun 13, 2010 11:00 AM

The main front topic that causes such feudal declines during negotiations? It’s always comes down to how it is who gets their share of the profits and in what degree. During the negotiation process, I hope that both sides (the owners and the NFLPA) will give actual credence to whom it is paying their salaries? It’s the FANS who do! The fans are the real ones who ultimately are the ones to actually suffer the “bad end” of the deal. In the end FANS are the the ones (in reality) are paying these ridiculous outrageous sums of money. Let the owners and the NFLPA for one time during the debate remember who profits less and decide to take LESS. Negotiate for the fans first. Take less and give it back to us fans through less expensive tickets. Football is blue collar game for the blue collar worker! Anymore? It has gone to the way side for the red and black on the ledger. Unfortunately, greed has become the steamroller that has caused it to give way for them to neglect who it is that paved their road to their success in the first place! Let us be able to afford to go to the games!