Saints could be closing in on Patrick Ramsey

Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune appears to have information that leads him to believe the Saints will be signing free agent quarterback Patrick Ramsey.

“Saints officials have said another arm likely will be added before training camp starts next month,” writes Duncan.  “(Hint: Put your money on Patrick Ramsey.)”
Attempting to upgrade over 2009 backup Mark Brunell, the Saints have considered Ramsey and former Panthers backup Josh McCown.  Both quarterbacks visited the team in early April, though the Saints’ hands are tied due to the uncapped year’s “Final Eight” rule.  Barring the loss of one of their free agents, New Orleans can’t making a signing of its own until July 22.
Chase Daniel, a 2009 undrafted free agent out of Missouri, is currently quarterbacking the second-team offense at Saints OTAs.  Former Duke point guard Greg Paulus remains in camp on a tryout basis, but isn’t a serious candidate for an NFL contract, let alone the primary backup job behind Drew Brees.
Ramsey, 31, spent the end of last season on the Lions’ roster after Matthew Stafford went on injured reserve.
Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Saints could be closing in on Patrick Ramsey”
  1. robert ethen says: Jun 6, 2010 1:55 PM

If they are looking for “another arm”, Patrick Ramsey hardly seems like the best choice.

2. SteelCurtain9 says: Jun 6, 2010 2:01 PM

tree-out

3. DARKTHRONE says: Jun 6, 2010 2:07 PM

The Saints O-line is returning intact (and w/depth), and that’s a GREAT thing… because with Drew protected, it’s obvious everything is gonna be solid. Put any other guy in there (especially this late in the learning curve) and the O sputters to a halt.
    No offense, but I hope Ramsey can hold the ball, spin it, and set it down perfect for Garrett Hartley’s FG/XP attempts!
    Drew ain’t going anywhere, and NOBODY is getting to Drew…
    SAINTS WILL DESTROY (again!)
    PA

4. DanSnyder says: Jun 6, 2010 2:10 PM

Saints are enjoying signing Redskins QB’s as backups.
    Brunell, Ramsey, Chase Daniels.
    While ramsey and daniels were drafted by the skins brunell wasnt but his last significant time as starting NFL qb was with the redskins.
    Ramsey is smart and has a gun but the dude is about as immobile as a statue. His pocket presence is not the greatest and due to his time with the skins he feels the pressure easily. That said he can make all the throws if the line is great.

5. NOwillrepeat says: Jun 6, 2010 2:17 PM

The Saints back-up qb situation is shaky and Ramsey would be a solid addition to this team. Relatively young veteran with experience as a starter. I was a big fan of his while he was at Tulane and would love to see him in Black and Gold. Hullabaloo ray ray!!

6. bonecity7 says: Jun 6, 2010 2:36 PM

Patrick Ramsey, 31 years old? I would have guessed closer to 51!! Thought he started when Nixon was in the White House?

7. robert ethen says: Jun 6, 2010 3:34 PM

Patrick is affectionatly referred to as “Ramen” Ramsey in honor of his right arm.

8. robert ethen says: Jun 6, 2010 3:45 PM

Payton says the team is “short an arm”, but Drew Brees disagreed, saying that his is nearly 2 feet long. Plus he has two of them.

9. Bious says: Jun 6, 2010 5:05 PM

Anyone is a huge step down from Brees so it isn’t like it really matters

10. Vet735 says: Jun 6, 2010 5:06 PM

I was going to say that anything is an upgrade from Brunell, but I take it back.

11. obxfannings says: Jun 6, 2010 7:10 PM

Darkthrone, enjoy it while you can, your SB Champs should have lost to my pathetic Redskins only to have the game handed to them. Oh… Sound familiar? Amazing how a fan base that once declared anonymity by bagging themselves as the “Aints” now becomes the cockiest group since the 90’s Cowboys’ fans. Count your blessings and good fortune last year, it won’t happen again. BTW… Has the coaching staff been excusing themselves lately while they kiss the sky?

12. obxfannings says: Jun 6, 2010 7:10 PM

13. Kay Bee says: Jun 6, 2010 8:48 PM

obxfannings says:
    June 6, 2010 7:10 PM
    ————————————————————–
    At least people went to the games with those bags on…right? Enjoy that overpaid Albert Haynesworth for another year. Do you guys have enough washed up running backs on the team…or will you sign Marcus Allen soon?

14. Vee says: Jun 6, 2010 9:11 PM

The Saints fans aren’t cocky, they are just simply responding to the jealous, insecure haters out there (like obxfannings) who believe their losing teams are better than the defending Super Bowl Champs. Amazing.

15. rajuncajun2863 says: Jun 6, 2010 9:12 PM

obxfannings is nothing but a D-bag. Redskins are pathetic, just like your posts. My Saints are solid; your ‘skins with a new coach is lipstick on a pig. you will suck for years and continue to be in the cellar of the East. You are such an effin’ LOSER! Would love to meet you anywhere, anytime for a “chat” about the WORLD CHAMPION SAINTS! WHO DAT! WE DAT! TWO DAT!

16. Kay Bee says: Jun 6, 2010 9:39 PM

rajuncajun2863 says:
    June 6, 2010 9:12 PM
    ————————————————————–
    Would that pig be those cross-dressing pigs who show up at the home games?

17. Chimpson says: Jun 7, 2010 2:21 AM

Easy y’all, don’t hate so much on my Skins
    While I do not believe that obxfannings rant about the Saint not being in the place to repeat, I do agree that we did hand it to them on all sides of the ball when we played them last season (except for placekicking). Big whoop though, y’all won and we were 4-12.
    I very much disagree with rajuncajun that we will continue to be the cellar of the east. We’ve gone through quite a bad stretch, I will never argue that…but things are cyclic, and we will be back on the high end again, just you wait and see…
    that being said, I hope I’m still alive for that up-cycle LOL!!!

18. Deaconofdefense says: Jun 7, 2010 8:36 AM

Saints fans need to learn how to be champions. You guys had a great season and your offense was a blast to watch. You guys need to let some of those idiots comments role off your back. You have the bull’s-eye on your back, you are no longer a hunter you are now the hunted and fair game. You will never win with those pathetic Viking, Falcon and Redskin fans. Florio has an obvious beef with Payton, Bush and Greg Williams and has lost all credibility when reporting on any matter concerning your franchise. My advice is to get your NFL rumors form another site or blow it off. You don’t see many of the Pats, Steelers, Giants, Colts or even those hard core Eagle fans coming on here and ripping you guys. Your asking too much from a handful of classless fan basses and risking looking like arrogant fools by humoring them with defensive responses.

19. Brian says: Jun 7, 2010 1:09 PM

I’ve been a Saints fan my whole life (35 years) – other Saints fans make me cringe. @DarkThrone said “Drew ain’t going anywhere, and NOBODY is getting to Drew…
    SAINTS WILL DESTROY (again!)”
    Really? Were you watching the previous 34 years? And why would you ever say anything to remotely suggest Drew Brees won’t get hurt. Keep your jinxes to yourself, please.
    I *love* the Saints – I want a repeat…and a three-peat. But no part of me is overly confident they’ll post better than a 10-6 season this year. Every time I start to think otherwise, history creeps up and smacks me in the mouth.
    That said – Patrick Ramsey – I could take him or leave him. Is he an upgrade to Brunell? Who knows. But honestly, without Drew, does it matter? I’d be just as excited about any other backup in the league joining the squad.

20. Kay Bee says: Jun 7, 2010 4:15 PM

Brian:
    It’s called being a fan…which is short for fanatic.

21. jascatt says: Jun 7, 2010 6:19 PM

I am ready for some football!!!! With our much improved defense and our number 1 offense why would we not repeat? Ramsey should be a solid addition to our team. Redskin fans: I think you guys will have a great season. You picked up some incredible talent this off season. My predictions: Saints 12-4, Redskins 9-7 possibly 10-6.

22. clintcooper says: Jun 7, 2010 8:44 PM

I was hoping that Daunte Culpepper would be picked up as the backup, but alas this never happened.
    I agree about the Redskins – they are going to be scary this year. I predict they will go 11-5 and win their division. The Saints will go 13-3 again. :)